(Topic ID: 6112)

When going to see a pin to buy

By Blackbeard

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Curious as to how far you guys go in testing.

I've only picked up one so far (number two is tomorrow). Being a newb for the first I just pulled the glass and played around with the switches to see if most worked.

Just curious guys.. how far do you take it?

#2 12 years ago

I'd play a game or two just to see if things seem to be working. Sluggish flippers are usually just a rebuild kit away, so that never concerns me. Check to see if all GI, (general illumination), lights are working. If the connectors are burnt on the lamp driver, you'll see big patches of dark playfield here and there. Again, an easy repair by rebuilding the connectors and pins.

Most of my games were bought in pieces from a warehouse so I didn't have the luxury of plugging them in to check anything. Thank god for the internet and these websites or they'd still be dead...LOL!!!

#3 12 years ago

Main things I'm interested in is if it boots, the display, battery electrolyte damage to the CPU. You can get a feeling for that stuff pretty quickly. Next is any missing expensive stuff or major non working features (magnets, guns, toys). Switch problems are usually no big deal, but if they will let you test them and you don't feel uncomfortable doing so, may as well.

#4 12 years ago

I have this site saved as a bookmark to use when I check out my first machine. I think I got it from a post on here many months ago. It is quite long and detailed.

http://www.flippers.be/basics/101-pinball_tests.html

#5 12 years ago

I took it pretty far on mine. Took off the backglass checked the boards and batteries, pulled up the playfield, checked the boards there, made certain the DMD was working completely by playing 3 games and making all the shots on the board, getting the different multiballs, starting the video mode. Of course took a very close look at the playfield and bulbs/LEDs.

If a seller gets nervous about these things, I would start to question their reason for being nervous, they're about to have a lot of money in their hands. I'm just making sure the investment is sound.

Of course if the machine is already known to be a junker, I would consider it anyway, they just wouldn't get the high dollars for it.

#6 12 years ago

On the older EMs I normally dont play them
    just give them a good looking over to make sure all is there.

#7 12 years ago

Maybe if I ever buy a machine that works I'll wonder the same things.

If I was buying an A list game, I'd expect the buyer to spend quite a bit of time with me, not limited to inspection of boards and underside of playfield, running all diagnostic tests as well as playing a bunch of games with the glass off so I can manipulate things by hand.

I've sold a few C list games (always as 100% working) and I still take the time to do this for serious buyers. $500 is still a lot of money to most folks.

But if I'm buying a project game at a project price, I just confirm it's all there and determine if I'm happy with the cosmetics. Usually takes about 5 minutes and I don't even attempt to turn the machine on.

#8 12 years ago

I've confirmed with the seller that $350 is the price... so i'll probably just open the door and run the couple tests, lights, switches, etc. It's a eight ball champ 1985 so it's got just the one test button inside i'm assuming.

I guess for $350 it has to be really really poor for me not to buy.

Excited nontheless.

I'll keep you guys posted when I get back tomorrow afternoon ..

OH, and the fiance is allowing me to convert our second bedroom into a bedroom/gameroom!! Pins get to come inside! No more garage living!

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

On the older EMs I normally dont play them
    just give them a good looking over to make sure all is there.

+1 me too. I normally buy project machines so as long as its mostly complete im good

#10 12 years ago

I check for battery leakage. Mostly visual inspection, because I rarely buy machines that are fully functional. I get a better deal on broken ones.

#11 12 years ago

News update: I won't be checking the machine tomorrow as someone else snaked me on it for an additional $50. Wish the seller would've let me know. I woulda offered $75.

If I woulda listened to my gut and gone up to see/buy it last night, this wouldn't have happened. I hope you all are reading this. You snooze, you lose. I feel sick as I couldve had it for $350.

#12 12 years ago

Ech, that sux, Blackbeard. Sorry to hear it.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

News update: I won't be checking the machine tomorrow as someone else snaked me on it for an additional $50. Wish the seller would've let me know. I woulda offered $75.

That's weak, if the seller wanted to start a bidding war, he should have at least invited you to the block. Better for everyone that way. Lame.

#14 12 years ago

Totally my though Guy. At least drop me an email and tell me someone offered $400. I woulda probably paid the original $500 they wanted.

GRRRR........

#15 12 years ago

Exactly. Since you were first, you should have been given the opportunity to match the price. Happens all the time, unfortunately.

#16 12 years ago

Kinda pissed too as I had rearranged my morning to drive into Buffalo.

Oh well. Lesson learned. $350 Eight Ball Champ down the tubes.

DAMNIT!

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

But if I'm buying a project game at a project price, I just confirm it's all there and determine if I'm happy with the cosmetics. Usually takes about 5 minutes and I don't even attempt to turn the machine on.

I am usually concerned with the condition of the cabinet and playfield. After that I make sure all the boards and parts are there. Anything else can be fixed pretty easy. Most of my purchases were so inexpensive the condition did not really matter.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-going-to-see-a-pin-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.