• Latest reply 11 years ago by Shug
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams_1979_Flash_Manual.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hey guys I have a Williams Flash pinball machine that I have owned for about a month now. This is my first ever pinball so I am pretty much a noobie to pinball ownership. Here is my deal with this machine:

Was playing on it with a friend for a couple of hours when all of the solenoids in the game except for the flippers stopped working.

After consulting the game manual I did the diagnostics test for the solenoids just to be sure and they were indeed not working. I then checked the troubleshooting section in the manual which lead me to a fuse on the power supply board. The fuse for the ~40V supply to the solenoids of course tested open. I replaced this and everything has been fine with the machine so far….

What has been bugging me is this: Why did the fuse blow?

So I ask you pinsiders: Is this just something that happens sometimes with these older pinball machines? OR should I be looking for something that might cause more damage to my machine other than a blown fuse?

I did notice during that play session that one of my drop targets in the 3-bank was kind of sticking when hit with the ball but seemed to reset just fine. I think I will clean all of those plastic targets and the solenoid mechanism parts in both drop target banks (5-target & 3-target) just to be safe.

Thanks for any input

-Shug

#2 11 years ago

I think fuses lose their tolerances after so many years.I wouldn't be concerned as long as it doesn't blow again.I have changed several fuses over the years not knowing exactly why it blew.If something is wrong it usually will blow at power on.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

I think fuses lose their tolerances after so many years.I wouldn't be concerned as long as it doesn't blow again.I have changed several fuses over the years not knowing exactly why it blew.If something is wrong it usually will blow at power on.

OK cool.. that is a bit of a relief Thank you Sir!

#4 11 years ago

Was the correct value and type of fuse installed when it blew. This is one of the first things I check when I get a new game in. I would say about 5-10% of the fuses are not the correct value and often times not the correct type (fast blo vs. slo blo).

Sean

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from scasey:

Was the correct value and type of fuse installed when it blew. This is one of the first things I check when I get a new game in. I would say about 5-10% of the fuses are not the correct value and often times not the correct type (fast blo vs. slo blo).
Sean

I tried checking in the manual for the fuse value but I couldnt seem to find it in there at the time so I just replaced it with same type fuse as I removed: 3 amp 250v sloblo

Glad you mentioned that because I need to look in the manual again to double check today.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Shug:

scasey said:

Sean
I tried checking in the manual for the fuse value but I couldnt seem to find it in there at the time so I just replaced it with same type fuse as I removed: 3 amp 250v sloblo
Glad you mentioned that because I need to look in the manual again to double check today.

I guess I skipped this page last night /shrug:

I have some of these 2.5a s.b's and will replace the 3a tonite Williams_1979_Flash_Manual.jpgWilliams_1979_Flash_Manual.jpg

Post edited by Shug : Upload manual images

#7 11 years ago

More than likely if you have not rebuilt the 40 pin interconnect on your game than while you were playing data was lost between the CPU and Driver board, it locked up a solenoid or all of them and blew the fuse. They don't tend to blow for no reason or due to age. I have had 50 year old EM's with their original fuses still running strong...

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Craigmack:

More than likely if you have not rebuilt the 40 pin interconnect on your game than while you were playing data was lost between the CPU and Driver board, it locked up a solenoid or all of them and blew the fuse. They don't tend to blow for no reason or due to age. I have had 50 year old EM's with their original fuses still running strong...

No sir I have not rebuilt any of the connectors nor have I inspected them super closely. I did disconnect/reconnect them all during transportation of the machine due to having to remove the head unit at that time. I will say they all looked good and everything was very clean...

Thanks for the tip I will definitely keep an eye out for this.

#9 11 years ago

Same thing happened to me and my Laser War. Just out of the blue coils stopped working except for flippers. Sure enough blew a 2.5a sloblo fuse and once replaced, everything works fine now.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Chudmeat:

Same thing happened to me and my Laser War. Just out of the blue coils stopped working except for flippers. Sure enough blew a 2.5a sloblo fuse and once replaced, everything works fine now.

Cool! Maybe I will be as lucky as you were

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Tools
Pincoder Store

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-fuses-blow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.