Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DCRand
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Walken-Cowbell (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

So I have this problem. I told myself I finally wanted a couple pins. I got the 2 EM pins I was aiming for, all was well...but then...something odd happened. Like a moth to a light or a cow to a salt lick or a biker to a whisky bar.....THERE I WAS, STARING ONCE AGAIN AT THE PINSIDE MARKET! I am very happy and completely satisfied with what I already have, SO WHY AM I LOOKING!? WHAT IS IT THAT I AM LOOKING FOR? Could I possibly be wanting MOAR PINS?

Have you ever had this feeling?
    When does it go away or start fading?
    Is there a cure?
    Should I call my primary care?
    Is this a serious condition?
    Left unchecked has anyone ever died from this disease?

WHAT DO I DO!?

#2 5 years ago

This urge for more EMs will only go away when you run out of room or money for moare. At least that is how it works at Pecos’ Palatial Pinball Parlour!

#3 5 years ago

It's probably just you. I easily stopped at 2 games.

#4 5 years ago

After a few years the urge goes away...but then it comes back. Then it goes away again...but then it comes back again.

#5 5 years ago

Its down to who you are and why you own a game. Some people enjoy collecting “things”. Many of them take a passionate interest in knowing more and making lists of desirable titles and acquiring and enjoy the chase and the collection. Did you collect stamps, rocks, coins, beer cans etc? Watch out, you may needany more pinball to be satisfied. Owning 10 does not even get you in the club of the big collectors...

For me, I own because I think they are a beautiful art piece and present an awesome combo with all the mechanical and electronics and computer stuff going on under the hood which i enjoy. So I own a few- but keep the ones I fixed and take my time fixing them. I was up to 5 and actually just gave a game away because it was taking up to much space in my life. For many thats lunacy.... to each their own.

Pinball is fun and I believe that once you hit 3 games it starts to feel like a collection and to me- 4 working games in a row is wonderful to play and enjoy and provides a ton of variety.

Good luck-

#6 5 years ago

I love purchasing EMs and tweaking them so they play like new. I got the ultimate pinball complement from an older guy who played the exact game many years prior at a 7-11 in my town and said "This plays better than when it was new".
    When i'm done w the pinball madness I can totally see me down to 5 pins, at least three being EMs.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

It's probably just you. I easily stopped at 2 games.

HA! Very Funny.

#8 5 years ago

It's worse than dope!

#9 5 years ago

When you run out of room. Realize you need to build a game room. Haven't made a purchase since Febuary.

#10 5 years ago

The perfect number of pins is the number you have, plus 1

#11 5 years ago

I don’t think there is a problem.

#12 5 years ago

Lack of room or money, which ever comes first.

#13 5 years ago

The OP has overlooked maintainance. More than 20 EMs is a serious commitment of time for one person, especially if not restored to factory condition before acquisition and played frequently. Room and money is easier to acquire than technical expertise, which drives many away in the long term.

#14 5 years ago

I'm just glad I'm not alone in this constant war - buy or not to buy? Of course the answer is to buy! lol Agree with most of the comments above. Just the joy of the hunt, then again another joy to bring one back to life, let alone adding it to an actual "collection". I'd love to have enough room and money for 20, but I'm probably stopping in the 4 to 5 qty level....but check back later... that may change. (If she moves out, I can add a few more!)

#15 5 years ago

I've been collecting/restoring pins for about 30 years now and I still
    look. Primarily for EMs of all vintages. Its an itch that needs to be scratched.
    Don't fight it. You'll run out of space sooner than you think.
    Steve

#16 5 years ago

I'm sorry Mr Slade but your diagnosis is Compulsive Pinball Hoarding, or CPH. Its prognosis is fatal. It's best to get your affairs in order.

However there is one possible cure for your disease, it's extreme and expensive, but that cure is MORE PINBALL

Walken-Cowbell (resized).jpgWalken-Cowbell (resized).jpg
    #17 5 years ago

So, the wife says I am allowed to get more pins, as long as I put the new ones to COIN USE ONLY and every time I play I need to put coins in, only she gets to keep the money that goes into them and she keeps the key.....part of me says "WORTH IT!"

#18 5 years ago

Better hide your duplicate keys.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slade:

So, the wife says I am allowed to get more pins, as long as I put the new ones to COIN USE ONLY and every time I play I need to put coins in, only she gets to keep the money that goes into them and she keeps the key.....part of me says "WORTH IT!"

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-pick-a-lock-pin-tumbler-locks/

#20 5 years ago

first it's one or two EM's , then it's "I need a few SS games , then it's "gotta have a NIB one ... then it's "what can i sell to justify getting another ....
    But its fun ... eh? shoulda never bought that first one!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slade:

I actually set up all my REPLAY EMs on coins...makes it SEEM a little better when I win a "free" game...I know many people who also do this. However most of mine are nickel games...so I guess the question is what's your wife gonna charge?

#22 5 years ago

LOL! The urge never goes away. It may take a back seat to other responsibilities from time to time but IT. NEVER. GOES. AWAY!!!! It’s ok though. This is likely the best addiction out there and it is the cheapest one too. Let me explain by asking a question. How many other addictions can you get your money back out of? Spend all you want/can within your means of course. Take care of the machines you have and make them better than when you bought them. You can always get your money back out of them.......(usually). Aside from being a total blast, I look at pinball as a savings account you can play with. It’s ok. You will be fine.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

LOL! The urge never goes away. It may take a back seat to other responsibilities from time to time but IT. NEVER. GOES. AWAY!!!! It’s ok though. This is likely the best addiction out there and it is the cheapest one too. Let me explain by asking a question. How many other addictions can you get your money back out of? .

So my second hobby is RC Airplanes. Have only sold 1 pinball for a loss, and it was $50, overall way up (as long as you don't count labor hours). Know what I get when I put a $200 airplane into the ground at 40 mph? Not much. Even a plane in good condition gets about half price or less on resale. In fact, pinball helps pay for the airplane hobby.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-does-the-urge-to-buy-more-em-pins-go-away-plox-halp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.