(Topic ID: 78480)

When do you review a pin? (How many plays?)

By Nokoro

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Nokoro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Just wondering how many plays you feel you should have under your belt before rating a pin.

Obviously, when you play a pin in the wild, you won't know it as well as one you own (unless you have lots of time and quarters). Do you feel that you need to experience the pin fully before rating it? I wouldn't want to review a movie if I left 3/4 of the way through after all. At the same time, there is something to be said about the general appeal of a pin in the wild and how easily you can pick it up even if you don't have time to fully learn the rules and unlock every feature.

Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

Hell, I don't even play em. I just bash the crap out of them, then wait and see what everyone else thinks.

#3 10 years ago

i played star trek a few times before i made my decision and then a review.
    depending on the theme, sometimes it doesn't take me long, i don't like woz because of the theme but i wouldn't give it a 1, probably around 7 or 8 because of the quality and innovation.

#4 10 years ago

I'd say anywhere between 10-100 plays. I need to understand *most* of the ruleset before I pass judgement on a game.
    I'm a player, so theme isn't all that important to me (but I do understand it's value).

#5 10 years ago

The rating system here is over-rated and a bit flawed IMO. Plus, the machines that have been out for a while are gonna stay where they are in the ranking. Addams will stay #1, TZ will stay #2 etc.

#6 10 years ago

After owning for about 5 years.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

i played Star Trek a few times before i made my decision and then a review.
    depending on the theme, sometimes it doesn't take me long, i don't like woz because of the theme but i wouldn't give it a 1, probably around 7 or 8 because of the quality and innovation.

I've played WOZ a handful of times. I had a lot of fun and thought it looked amazing, but I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. Probably need to play it a lot more . . . a lot more!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-do-you-review-a-pin-how-many-plays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.