(Topic ID: 229198)

When do YOU replace your pinball? Can you polish old ones?

By Slade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I am strictly talking EM games here, I am sure it varies game to game and player to player but I have heard so many different answers that I would enjoy hearing what other Pinsiders actually do. I was told, since I only own 2 wedgeheads that get played nearly all morning long, and then again all evening long, every day, that I should replace my balls about once a month or so (I have a 5 year old and he beats on them, but also I usually host parties for my friends and family). This seems like a good plan for me. But I would love to hear what you other folks actually do.

They are super cheap, so frequency will not offend me, I just want whats best for my pins. I love these babies.

Has anyone every tried taking a SOS scrubby sponge and cleaning one? Do you ever lube them?
    Is it different for EM's vs moderns?

#2 5 years ago

A scratched up ball will tear up the playfield faster than a new smooth ball.

With a new ball, I always clean off the oil with a degreaser, and put some wax on it. Then replace the ball as needed.

An SOS sponge is coarse steel wool with soap. That's just going to scratch up the ball.

Once a ball is used, I recycle it. Although, lately, I've been dropping them into a clear plastic globe.

#3 5 years ago

+1 on waxing a new ball before using it. Where can you recycle old pin balls?

#4 5 years ago

If you don't have magnets in your game, then I recommend using the harder chrome pinballs as they will stay smoother longer. The Ball Baron has the Ninja pinball that is quite nice and I use them.

#5 5 years ago

Def wax new balls. I usually wax my plunger at the same time. I used to like to wax the knockers too but that's when I was way younger and was still in the honeymoon phase. I would love to change/wax balls/shooter rod weekely but the older I get I feel like I only do it every couple mounths. Sometimes there is a birthday or anniversary in the mix and they get changed/waxed extra.

#6 5 years ago

I put balls in a tumbler when there are a little used. It takes a few days to get them back super polished. Probably not worth it. I do them 20-30 at a time for 2-3 days

#7 5 years ago

If a ball isn't chipped I shine mine up a soft moist cloth, Mother's mag wheel polish and elbow grease, holding the ball and rubbing it into the cloth and rotating it to cover the whole surface. I could use a tumbler but I need the exercise and I like pinball balls too much to just throw them away.

#8 5 years ago

I put my old ones in a large beermug looks cool
    I saw someone put them in his gumball machine

#9 5 years ago

I buy the harder chrome balls, de-grease them and wax my playfields regularly. Balls with just minor scratches and chips soon kill playfield surfaces so cheaper to replace a ball or two than have to restore a playfield!

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

With a new ball, I always clean off the oil with a degreaser, and put some wax on it. Then replace the ball as needed.

What kind of wax should one use? The same as for the playfield?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

What kind of wax should one use? The same as for the playfield?

Same as you use for PF. I use Mothers gold but peoples preference on here when it comes to wax is varied to say the least.

#12 5 years ago

Take out balls from game, look at them under light and magnification:

Hazed: In the tumbler overnite.
    Scratched/nicked: In the never to be used again bucket.

Don C

#13 5 years ago

Half the time I just replace them. But also have had really good luck using the buffing wheel on the grinder. Polishes them like new. Be sure to have a back stop behind the polishing wheel because one gets a way once in a while. Only takes 30 seconds to a minute using the green polishing compound bar and the wheel.

#14 5 years ago

I've polished some pretty nasty ones to shinier than new using a lathe, various light abrasives, then Mother's Aluminum and Mag polish.

#16 5 years ago

I usually take most of my machines to TPF each year... it's become a "religion" for me to replace the balls with new ones as I wax the PFs (clean the titans) for TPF each year. That way every machine I have has fresh balls for the abuse they'll receive at TPF.

I tend to wipe my new pinballs with a rag before I put them in the machine; nothing else is really done at that point since the PF has already been waxed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-do-you-replace-your-pinball-can-you-polish-old-ones?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.