(Topic ID: 42662)

When did you buy your first pinball machine? A Poll.

By Craig

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 187 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by gac
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What year did you buy your first pinball machine?”

• 1989 or earlier 46 votes
    9%
  • 1990-94 26 votes
    5%
  • 1995-99 52 votes
    10%
  • 2000-04 85 votes
    16%
  • 2005-09 99 votes
    19%
  • 2010 41 votes
    8%
  • 2011 49 votes
    9%
  • 2012-present 119 votes
    23%

(517 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dave.jpg
simpsonpsm.jpg
DSCN1835.JPG
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Your spread of dates gives a bit of a distorted view though since not each year range covers the same number of years...

Please see my statement at the beginning of the poll. I understand the problem, but I thought it would be interesting to see the spread over the past three years in particular. You do need to add those years together to get something approaching a meaningful comparison with the previous five-year brackets.

#102 11 years ago

Your spread of dates gives a bit of a distorted view though since not each year range covers the same number of years...

Please see my statement at the beginning of the poll. I understand the problem, but I thought it would be interesting to see the spread over the past three years in particular. You do need to add those years together to get something approaching a meaningful comparison with the previous five-year brackets.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from tim_sanderson:

Yuck, no. Although some may say it's worse

What do you mean, TX Sector is excellent and will never leave my collection!! Give us a clue... it's a Gottlieb right...?

Quoted from Guru-420:

Add in the dumb shows like storage wars, american pickers, etc. showing the general public how affordable some Pins can be

You may have hit on something there!! I wouldn't say thes shows 'show how affordable some pins can be' but more make people open to the possibility of actually owning a machine and having it at home!! If these shows are popular and started recently, they may have been a catylist for many a modern day pinball buyer...!? Many people would actually love a pinball at home, but the idea has never entered their heads!! That's how it happened for me, I just saw a sign on a small van saying 'buy your pinball from me', and I was like: Holy shit, what an amazing idea! I wrote the guys number down and not long afterward was engulfed in them!!

Anyone get into the hobby after seeing a pin on one of those shows??

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Sorry dude, I missed that... It does create a nice saw-tooth shape as you get the step changes in the spead of years... Nice work!

#105 11 years ago

2003 BoP.Been a collector ever since.Scott

#106 11 years ago

The grouping of the years distorts it somewhat, but if anything, the fact that 2012 is far and away the leader, even over those multiple year groups, paints a very clear picture.

I'm a newbie, first machine in sept 2012, was on pinside a month or so before then, and even in the last 6 months I can see things have heated up since I first got involved.

#107 11 years ago

Paid $700 for a Simpsons at an auction and sold it a year later for $1200 on eBay. It set a bad precedent for me...

simpsonpsm.jpgsimpsonpsm.jpg

#108 11 years ago

Duplicate post - Sorry!

#110 11 years ago

2003 I bought a RS and then a couple weeks later a CP

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#111 11 years ago

My father bought 3 pins (DIPSY DOODLE & 2 I can't remember) from the time I was 5 to 8 and my grandparents bought one (MIBS) when I was 5. So I have been around them pretty much my whole life. I did finally buy my own (SKY RIDER) back in 2008 and I was able to aquire the one (MIBS) my grandparents had shortly after that.

#112 11 years ago

T2 1999

#113 11 years ago

My first was WMS Laser Cue for $600 in Oct 1993.
My last pin purchase was Sept 2010, a WMS Magic City for $400,
with many pins bought in between, costing from free to ~$1700.
Mostly 1960 to 1985 eras.
Average price paid about $500 per.
Only have been able to let go of about two dozen pins during that time,
either via selling or trades or donations.

cheers tom

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

At present, the number of persons who say they bought their first pin in the past three years is about equal to the number who bought their first pin in the preceding twenty years. Yes, I guess you could say the market has heated up.

Not necessarily. It says more about Pinside demographics than anything else. I suspect that the poll would be skewed to much earlier years on rgp, and a lot of old-time hobbyists may not participate in either forum. The telling stats are total pinball production, which has declined significantly over the past 5-10 years.

#115 11 years ago

Dec 2012. Gift for kids for Christmas. Now they are gifts for myself. Wish I started 10 years ago.

#116 11 years ago

1980 a Friend of my Dad's that owned a arcade/pinball route rolled up Christmas morning and unloaded a Bally Bon Voyage...I was the happiest 8 year old on the block! Technically we did not buy it but it has stayed in the family and now resides in my basement...has never broken down other than fuse and bulb maintenence...old reliable!

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

It says more about Pinside demographics than anything else.

I have no way of knowing, which is why I admitted up front that the sampling was not scientific. I still find it significant that over 40% of the respondents here bought their first pin in the past three years. Expand it to the past eight years, and it is the clear majority (60%).

It is interesting to read what people bought as their first pin. Some are NIB, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the majority.

#118 11 years ago

When you are purchasing something, or just got it, you want to talk about it. Afterwards, when the honeymoon fades, you might not hang out on a forum. So, all this says is that new buyers like to hang out and talk pinball.

#119 11 years ago

Maybe, maybe not. I don't see how one can draw that conclusion any more definitively from such limited data. I guess the one thing we might say with some confidence is that a lot of newer owners are present on Pinside. To do more, I suppose we would have to see sales data of both new and, especially, used pins going back many years.

So, is it your impression that the number of private buyers is either staying constant or declining? I have had the opposite impression, but I am quite willing to be proved wrong.

#120 11 years ago

1979 Target Alpha, at an auction, paid $110.00

#121 11 years ago

It's true, you are more apt to be very excited to talk pinball when your new, that and you might need more help!

#122 11 years ago

First was in Oct. of 2008, TftC. Sickness bit me, and 3 months later I got a MB as well, lol! Gotta love pinball

#123 11 years ago

Dec 2011 made an impulse bid on Ebay, ended up with a Williams Space Station for $1275.

#124 11 years ago

Picked up my Space shuttle from a Namco arcade at age 16 for 75 bucks. Parents where pissed when i brought it home. It didnt work but I got it fixed up in short order.

So that would be um 1993

2nd pin was a Freddy in 1990 for 350 bucks also not working. Op had robbed all the boards to fix a shaq attack lol.

#125 11 years ago

2012, hit forty, Star Wars DE, loving it all over again.

#126 11 years ago

The first machine I owned was a 1977 Bally Eight Ball. Purchased it at a garage sale up in Lake Arrowhead for $25.00. It was in horrible shape and didn't work but with a few hundred dollars I got it looking and playing well again. Several years later I sold it and purchased 3 DMD pins, Freddy, BSD and TFTC and that was the start of my real collecting.

#127 11 years ago

Without a bunch of data it just shows me more people are joining pinside and talking to each other, which really tells me nothing aboot the general pinball ownership.
I hang out with 20 guys that have been collecting for decades, but they don't come here.

#128 11 years ago

The question is: Why has there been such a massive increase in ownership in very recent years..??? What happened then to make people want to start putting pinballs in their homes!!??
The internet can't be blamed for this one... neither the slow dissapearance of pins from arcades because that's been happenimng for around a decade... Maybe it takes 10 years for the average player to realise they're harder to find on location to the point where the idea that the only way to play is to buy one to put at home...??
Anyone else have any bright ideas why the trend is so massive towards very recent years?? The last year alone has seen a 25% increase in people having games at home!! Bewildering!

You know that's an open invite for a guessing game!! My guess: TX Sector.

I think maybe a generation of 20 somethings are now Dads and it's loving the retro thing all over again. Well it is for me!

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

tells me nothing aboot the general pinball ownership

I understand the criticism, and you might be right. I suspect that the numbers we've seen here do reflect a spike in new pin ownership, but I accept that this poll does not constitute proof. I also accept the point that newer users might be more likely to hang out on forums, and that could account for some (perhaps much) of it, but I doubt that that is the only factor. You cannot de facto rule out the possibility that there is an increase in the number of owners by attributing the presence of large numbers of new owners to some other factor.

The question is not so much who has been in the hobby for how long, but who is actively buying pins now. It is a matter of supply AND demand, surely. Supposing there is an increase in demand contributing to the rise in prices, is it because the same number of users are suddenly buying many more machines (which seems doubtful since established hobbiests could have purchased the same machines for far less money earlier), or is it because there is an increase in the number of buyers?

Anyway, while I suspect this poll points to the second conclusion, I accept the argument that it is not a sufficient instrument by which to access the necessary data.

#130 11 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I understand the criticism, and you might be right.

Oh I wasn't "criticizing" you, just putting in my 2 cents.

#131 11 years ago

Bally Star Trek
This was my first coin op game. I bought this game in 1982-83 at the only auction I have ever seen in this area. The place was full of mainly electromechanical pinball machines and some electronic pins (back then I didn't know the difference) and a couple of black and white video games like Boot Hill. I have always been a big Star Trek fan and when I saw they had 3 Bally Star Trek pinball machines I knew I had to have one. Well, I was the first bidder on the first Star Trek machine but got out bid. I think it went for around $300.00. It was a wile before they got to the second Star Trek and I started the bid on it too but it also went for over $300.00. The third and last Star Trek was one of the last pin's to be auctioned. I think everyone noticed I only was bidding on the Star Trek machines and felt sorry for me because the third and last one was mine and It only cost me $125.00. I loaded it up in my pickup truck and brought it home. It gave me years of service without a problem until 1997 when the MPU surcome to battery leakage damage. It stayed broke for almost a year before I decided to repair the damage and replace the bad components. It was my first MPU repair and was an easy fix thanks to the Pinball Repair & Restoration Guides on the web at http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm. The play field has some wear but it's not to bad. Like most of my game's it is set up to use both quarters and . 984 tokens and you get 5 ball's for one credit. It's a simple game but still a lot of fun and holds a special place in my collection.

#132 11 years ago

1984 STERN Stars, think it was around $250

#133 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh I wasn't "criticizing" you, just putting in my 2 cents.

That's fine. I meant "criticizing" in the technical sense, in which one points out a flaw in an argument. I didn't take it as a personal attack. No worries!

#134 11 years ago

For my birthday in December of 2012, I talked my wife into letting me take the family to funspot in NH, the worlds largest arcade. I had intentions of having a blast playing all of my old arcade favorites.

What happened instead I went and played pinball all day long. After getting back home I thought about it and told the wife I wanted a pinball. Her mistake was not saying no right off the back.

I had a high speed in a week after that, great shape think it was a HUO. As the nice lady I talked with had it in her family for 20 years and before that got it from another family.

At this point I have acquired a catacomb that I am in process of restoring and just picked up a Flight 2000 that is fully working but will need a restore after I am done on the catacomb.

Now I'm stuck with the dreaded no more room issue.

Honestly I can say that I wished I had started earlier, I had forgotten how much fun I had with pinball. And fixing them up is even more satisfying.

#135 11 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Now I'm stuck with the dreaded no more room issue.

I have spent the evening moving furniture and shelves to make room for "just one more pin" in the basement. This one wasn't too difficult to accommodate. The next pin, whenever that comes, will take a lot more work. Fortunately, I am not in the hunt, so it might be a while.

Just three more years, and my daughter goes off to college...

#136 11 years ago

I got my first in '93, but didnt' get my 2nd until earlier this year....

#137 11 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I got my first in '93, but didnt' get my 2nd until earlier this year....

I've read several posts like this. So, what brought you back?

#138 11 years ago

Around 1987, a Stern Magic. Paid $150, treated that pin like a newborn.

#140 11 years ago
Quoted from tim_sanderson:

I bought my first machine last week. I won't receive it for a few weeks. I won't say what it is yet, for fear of being mocked.

Nope!

Give us a clue... it's a Gottlieb right...?

Sure is!

Post edited by tim_sanderson : 'cuz

#141 11 years ago

One more crack at it and I'll confess my sin.

#142 11 years ago

Quick! Someone do a bell curve projection on that graph in the poll using the same time frame for projected future. You can peak it now, next year, and 2014 for giggles. Hell, throw in 2015 and 16 if you feel like it.

#143 11 years ago

Bought my first machine as a pair, Stellar Wars and Pin*Bot, in October 2012. I now have seven machines.
Sure is fun!

#144 11 years ago

I believe this poll very accurately represents the home-ownership trend in purchasing Pins. I found this site a month after buying my machines. I needed to find support for the repairs that are inevitable--and I'm sure I am not alone.

#145 11 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

My first was WMS Laser Cue for $600 in Oct 1993.
My last pin purchase was Sept 2010, a WMS Magic City for $400,
with many pins bought in between, costing from free to ~$1700.
Mostly 1960 to 1985 eras.
Average price paid about $500 per.
Only have been able to let go of about two dozen pins during that time,
either via selling or trades or donations.
cheers tom

You currently own 316 pins!?! HOLY S#*T!
Just one more, right?
Are they mostly stored or do you live in a warehouse?

#146 11 years ago

Without making this a super long post, my first game was in either 2000 or 2001 and was Cybernaut, which I bet most people have never heard of. Oddly, while I owned half of it officially, I wasn't there during the purchase and really had no input into it. If I had been there, I'm positive I would have said to skip it. I'm so glad I wasn't - Cybernaut is a slow, but amazing shooter's game that really made me appreciate the early SS era before I owned DMDs. While I like a LOT of DMD era games, it is nice to have started by expanding my horizons like that.

I used to tell people when they were getting in and prices weren't doing what they have lately that the best way to do it was get an early SS title, learn how it works, learn how to fix little things on it, and then decide what you really want once you had some background. It's really hard to make that recommendation though today when machines cost what they do.

#147 11 years ago

1972, my parents bought me a Bally Galahad. Price was $275.00 plus $11.00 tax. I still have the receipt. In 1982 I got a Bally Playboy as PIK (Payment In Kind) for repairing five pins for a "tycoon" Operator who couldn't pay me for those repairs. In '82 I bought a practically new Rapid Fire from another wannabee operator for $200.00. That was the first cash paid out for a pin by me.Since some will say that "cannon" games are not pins, in '83 I bought a Bally Circus for $75.00 (no coin door) in a warehouse raid.

#148 11 years ago

2006 no fear 900

#149 11 years ago

Early 2012 - Bally Spectrum. Been playing since 1972...

#150 11 years ago

Fish Tales for $1250 plus shipping in late 2006. I overpaid by A LOT!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-you-buy-your-first-pinball-machine-a-poll/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.