(Topic ID: 42662)

When did you buy your first pinball machine? A Poll.

By Craig

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 187 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by gac
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What year did you buy your first pinball machine?”

• 1989 or earlier 46 votes
    9%
  • 1990-94 26 votes
    5%
  • 1995-99 52 votes
    10%
  • 2000-04 85 votes
    16%
  • 2005-09 99 votes
    19%
  • 2010 41 votes
    8%
  • 2011 49 votes
    9%
  • 2012-present 119 votes
    23%

(517 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dave.jpg
simpsonpsm.jpg
DSCN1835.JPG
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 11 years ago

Jan 2011 - TZ and TAF

#52 11 years ago

As I suspected, the poll shows collectors have nearly doubled in the last couple of years. It's no wonder prices have doubled accordingly.

#53 11 years ago

2011, bought a HUO TSPP and loved it ever since.

#54 11 years ago

Sorry double post.

#55 11 years ago

Now at 47% in the past three years. That's quite a result.

#56 11 years ago

1979..... I was 18 and bought Bally's "Bazaar" for $350 from one of the arcades in Pismo.

#57 11 years ago

2009. SST.

#58 11 years ago

2010....NGG, my first pin bought and it will be the last to go!

#59 11 years ago

This poll may be inaccurate though as I'm sure there's a large number of people who are more experienced and already own a decent collection of pins that do not have a need to visit this forum. The forums more suited to people still hooked on the new pins being released and new player looking for help

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

This poll may be inaccurate though as I'm sure there's a large number of people who are more experienced and already own a decent collection of pins that do not have a need to visit this forum. The forums more suited to people still hooked on the new pins being released and new player looking for help

Correct, but it still explains the current high demand for pins. Those people who don't get on the forums are a lot less likely, in general, to be buying and selling a lot of pins I would think.

#61 11 years ago

1981 or so Captain Fantastic, got for repairing vids for an op, 1985 Centaur, $300 still have.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Correct, but it still explains the current high demand for pins. Those people who don't get on the forums are a lot less likely, in general, to be buying and selling a lot of pins I would think.

yeah that's true. And i agree even if it is skewed a bit it still shows there's a large number of new buyers (myself included) in the last few years. Still good evidence. There's also a larger awarness of pinballs lately too, over here in Australia I've had people notice ACDC pins in bars and tell me about them (knowing i like pinball), say what you want about the quality of stern's recent pins but they have done a good job themeing and drawing in random people in my opinion. I hate metallica but that again is going to draw in a lot of the pub crowd who have never played pinball but can relate to the theme and music more.

#63 11 years ago

1989 Williams Flash $395.00 from a local arcade.

DSCN1835.JPGDSCN1835.JPG
Still Have.

#64 11 years ago

First game was August 10th, 1996. Harlem Globetrotters for $200 at a garage sale...sight and title unseen as I bought it over the phone. Since then I've owned 476 pins total ( closing in on the big 500 number soon ).

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#65 11 years ago

I bought my nice IJ back in 1999 for $1500. Funny thing is that I still own it

#66 11 years ago

LOTR LE NIB Nov 2012

#67 11 years ago

1993 . . . Bally Star Trek and Haunted House for $200 each.

#68 11 years ago

1999 bought a Who Dunnit off Mr. Pinball. Did my first playfield swap shortly after since I was able to get a NOS one off EBay for $100 shipped!

#69 11 years ago

At present, the number of persons who say they bought their first pin in the past three years is about equal to the number who bought their first pin in the preceding twenty years. Yes, I guess you could say the market has heated up.

#70 11 years ago

Dec 2011. TF. Then they began to multiple

#71 11 years ago

TZ 2001

#72 11 years ago

Black Rose in May of 2000. Got back "into" pinball in 2008 when I stumbled across a used copy of Pinball Arcade for the PS3 for $5. Though my son would find it amusing. About three weeks later we stumbled onto the MGC while living in Milwaukee. Was hooked once again. Black Rose lasted a year, Indy 500 less than two months. Currently living with a WCS94 and a newly acquired Roadshow. On the lookout for #3 (a Cyclone or a STTNG).

#73 11 years ago

2004 Gottlieb 300 em

#74 11 years ago

1989. It was a Harlem Globetrotters (like Dayhuff) and I wish that I hadn't sold it.
Howie

#75 11 years ago

Got my first game around 1982-83 (Play Ball EM). Technically, my dad bought it, but he put it in my room.

#76 11 years ago

1988...Bally's KISS

#77 11 years ago

Now you understand why prices continue to increase.............Supply vs. Demand

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from Doc:

I was 6mos shy of getting my drivers permit

1990 : Eight Ball Deluxe
It was right around the time that I got my licensce.

#79 11 years ago

1973...Gottlieb Sheriff.

#80 11 years ago

2001 F-14 for $500.
2003 LOTR - NIB

Then nothing until 2012.

#81 11 years ago

2006 Time Fantasy!

#82 11 years ago

1998, Black Knight bought for $800. I think I have $2500 in it now.

#83 11 years ago

Harlem Globe Trotters 2003,kept it for five years. CV 2005 still got it.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

2004 - Back to the Future ...$300!!!

Nice!

2009 , BTTF. 1200$

Local too, about 20mins.
(And I know I could have talked the woman down).
Really nice example, never should have traded it.

#85 11 years ago

Great poll... I started in 97 with a BoP... Your spread of dates gives a bit of a distorted view though since not each year range covers the same number of years... the 'recent surge' is actually more pronounced than the shape of the 'bar chart' makes it out to be!! If you lump 2010 to present together, then the last bar would have 91 votes (209 total at time of writing) compared to the previous 5 year range having 38 votes, and that last bar would still be over just 3 years instead of 5!! Wow!! So that's why the prices have shot up!!

#86 11 years ago

Very nice Shadow in April 2011 for $1,400.

Probably should have held onto that one a bit longer...

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Nice!
2009 , BTTF. 1200$
Local too, about 20mins.
(And I know I could have talked the woman down).
Really nice example, never should have traded it.

Mine was kind of a piece of crap if it makes you feel better The playfield was "lumpy" ...as though it had some kind of water damage - but it had factory mylar over it, so I could never quite figure out how the playfield got that way.

#88 11 years ago

Feb 2013. STTNG and TZ.

#89 11 years ago

November 2010 - High Speed, Demolition Man and World Cup Soccer '94

#90 11 years ago

1990, My first was Count-Down for $75.00 I still have it.

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

As I suspected, the poll shows collectors have nearly doubled in the last couple of years. It's no wonder prices have doubled accordingly.

Yup, which does make one wonder... what happened in 2012? What was the catalyst? Trends in data don't just happen by coincidence.

#92 11 years ago

Got my 1st in 1990. I had no idea anyone ever owned more than 1 pinball machine until about 3 years ago. Once I found out lots of people owned more than one I started buying more. I have 8 now. Still have my 1st. It's a Centaur II that I paid $300 for.

#93 11 years ago

i will let you know when it happends : )))

#94 11 years ago

I bought my first machine last week. I won't receive it for a few weeks. I won't say what it is yet, for fear of being mocked.

#95 11 years ago

The question is: Why has there been such a massive increase in ownership in very recent years..??? What happened then to make people want to start putting pinballs in their homes!!??

The internet can't be blamed for this one... neither the slow dissapearance of pins from arcades because that's been happenimng for around a decade... Maybe it takes 10 years for the average player to realise they're harder to find on location to the point where the idea that the only way to play is to buy one to put at home...??

Anyone else have any bright ideas why the trend is so massive towards very recent years?? The last year alone has seen a 25% increase in people having games at home!! Bewildering!

Quoted from tim_sanderson:

I won't say what it is yet, for fear of being mocked.

You know that's an open invite for a guessing game!! My guess: TX Sector.

#96 11 years ago

Bought a SMDM SS back in 2002 or so, and got an APB machine and non-working Asteroids Deluxe about the same time. Was my only pinball machine for years, got a ton of play, and is now beat to hell. Got full-on into the Arcade hobby a little over a year ago, and I am now expanding my collection to include a few more pins.

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

The question is: Why has there been such a massive increase in ownership in very recent years..??? What happened then to make people want to start putting pinballs in their homes!!??
The internet can't be blamed for this one... neither the slow dissapearance of pins from arcades because that's been happenimng for around a decade... Maybe it takes 10 years for the average player to realise they're harder to find on location to the point where the idea that the only way to play is to buy one to put at home...??
Anyone else have any bright ideas why the trend is so massive towards very recent years?? The last year alone has seen a 25% increase in people having games at home!! Bewildering!

My guess is it has to do with a combination of factors. Start with old OPs finally letting go of inventory or dying and leaving their crap to their loved ones. Pin hobby has always been a little more expensive than an Arcade hobby, and most of the collectors are finally at an age where we yern for pinballs like the old days, have more disposable income, and a lack of availability in the mainstream to go out and play pinballs on location. Add in the dumb shows like storage wars, american pickers, etc. showing the general public how affordable some Pins can be, and once you start small it is easy to get hooked and start going bigger.

#98 11 years ago

My reason for getting a pinball machine recently is because it's only been a year since I've become addicted to pinball.

Yuck, no. Although some may say it's worse. A hint, I saw it on the worst games of the 90's list!

#99 11 years ago

5 minutes ago!!! AC/DC Pro on the way!!!

I have always loved playing pinball. Playing EM's at the camp store, bowling alleys, work lunch rooms, arcades, amusement parks, movie theatres. I've always wanted to own one, came close 7 years ago to getting TAF but economics dictated it was not to be at the time.

Can't wait!

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from tim_sanderson:

Yuck, no. Although some may say it's worse. A hint, I saw it on the worst games of the 90's list!

Popeye?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 249.00
4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crescent Springs, KE
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 187 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-you-buy-your-first-pinball-machine-a-poll/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.