(Topic ID: 285410)

When did Topper pricing go off the rails???

By jamieflowers

9 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by MasterTinkerer
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

$_12 (resized).jpeg
4DEDF043-0FD5-4E68-A105-6D101E03808D (resized).png
DE3E827E-2EE6-4ACF-8C82-F77D1093272E (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210108-202000_eBay (resized).jpg
Bishop-Clean-CareMayDusty-Areas-You-May-Be-OverlookingImage-1300x200-Dust-Written-in-Dust (resized).jpg
P3140258 (resized).JPG
IMG_0181 (resized).JPG
P3140254 (resized).JPG
IMG_0177 (resized).JPG
IMG_0173 (resized).JPG
IMG_0167 (resized).JPG
IMG_0166 (resized).JPG
IMG_0055 (resized).JPG
9169D5B6-DD51-4A53-9F98-4C2B3F328930 (resized).jpeg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 months ago

I have been in this hobby forever but normally don't care for toppers, I just started looking at AIQ and TMNT toppers and they RETAIL at $650 and $995??? Seriously? You can get an Xbox Series X for $499. 10 years ago NIB Games were under 4k...but a topper is 1k? I make a decent living, can afford to buy games NIB....but I am having a REALLY hard time justifying those prices for toppers.

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

I have been in this hobby forever but normally don't care for toppers, I just started looking at AIQ and TMNT toppers and they RETAIL at $650 and $995??? Seriously? You can get an Xbox Series X for $499. 10 years ago NIB Games were under 4k...but a topper is 1k? I make a decent living, can afford to buy games NIB....but I am having a REALLY hard time justifying those prices for toppers.

totally agree, Stern started the push for more expensive ones and like what Stern did with JJP in regards to machine prices, modders are joining in on Stern's topper prices. But like buying games - if people pay for top priced toppers the price won't lower.

I have plans on making a few in the future but aiming for a price of around the $300-$350 with motion

#3 9 months ago

$499 for BKSOR to me is one of the best toppers ever and now a bargain considering what it does compared to JP, TNMT and AIQ static over priced toppers.

9169D5B6-DD51-4A53-9F98-4C2B3F328930 (resized).jpeg
#4 9 months ago

...there's one born every minute.

#5 9 months ago

I felt like an idiot for buying the Star Wars topper. Lots of people made fun of me. But then people came over my house, saw R2D2 doing his thing, realized how super-cool I really was, and wanted to be my friend.

You can't put a price tag on that sort of thing.

#6 9 months ago

Stern would know what percentage of pinball buyers add a topper
the R&D costs of the topper have to be shared among a small percentage of buyers
if a topper has molded parts or custom circuit boards, then that forces a higher R&D budget

Quoted from beelzeboob:

But then people came over my house, saw R2D2 doing his thing, realized how super-cool I really was, and wanted to be my friend.

No

#7 9 months ago

Topper pricing went off the rails when Stern figured out they could sucker hundreds of dollars out of people and have kept testing the waters with higher and higher prices, which people keep paying for FOMO. Will it hit a ceiling? doubtful....$1.5k by Christmas anyone?

#8 9 months ago

Add 2-300 to LE Prices and include the damn thing. Then you could lower the price to Premium and Pro customers due to the cheaper per unit cost. There is no Fing way these things should cost over $500

#9 9 months ago

I don’t do toppers anymore, it’s gotten silly. Only topper option for me is CGC LE’s, can’t wait to see what’s next!

#10 9 months ago

I only collect the old school toppers, have around 40 for games that will never make the cut in my collection. Also have another 17 or so for games that will stay in the collection forever. I remember when the average topper was like $20 at a show and guys would throw them at you to get rid of them. I remember debating about buying one of those toppers for $50 since that was BIG money back in the day. Now it's just insane and a money grab is all it is. But to each there own,I'll just stick with collecting the classic ones as there way cooler IMHO. Here's just a few to show what I mean.

John

IMG_0055 (resized).JPGIMG_0166 (resized).JPGIMG_0167 (resized).JPGIMG_0173 (resized).JPGIMG_0177 (resized).JPGIMG_0181 (resized).JPGP3140254 (resized).JPGP3140258 (resized).JPG
#11 9 months ago

Most agree that the BKSOR topper is the best. I think Stern was able to price it reasonably only because I believe they were able to repurpose the mech from the JP T-rex head to animate the Black Knight head. Most people thought the SW R2D2 topper was overpriced at $750, so maybe Stern priced the EHoH topper at $1000 to make R2D2 look like a bargain.

#12 9 months ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Topper pricing went off the rails when Stern figured out they could sucker hundreds of dollars out of people and have kept testing the waters with higher and higher prices, which people keep paying for FOMO. Will it hit a ceiling? doubtful....$1.5k by Christmas anyone?

The resale market set the price for Stern, people listing toppers for 1k+ and people bought them. Why do you think there arent any toys on machines anymore? People buy them and screw them on. No point for makers to waste the money on them when morons pay hundreds of dollars after the fact. The 3rd party mod market and flippers are responsible.

#13 9 months ago

At a bar in Chicago where topper lobbyists and pinball manufacturers rub elbows. Roughly 4 years ago.

#14 9 months ago

This is the only topper I have on all my games. Best part is that it's free.

Bishop-Clean-CareMayDusty-Areas-You-May-Be-OverlookingImage-1300x200-Dust-Written-in-Dust (resized).jpg
#15 9 months ago

This just sold within the hour

#16 9 months ago

I wouldn't pay $100 for any topper, forget $1000.

I don't care what people spend their money on, and they are free to do what makes them happy - but I don't get it. Most of them are chincy garbage. $1000 is just stupid for what they are.

I had the topper on my TWD Prem because it came with the machine, and it was fairly cool as toppers go - but not as cool as the $500+ I got for it selling it off almost immediately a year or so ago. That was the first I started seeing stupid money for toppers, and I thought that was retarded. I laughed all the way to the bank, and Stern sure as hell is doing the same it appears.

Now tying the toppers to exclusive modes or similar is so infuriating I'm getting near boycott zone though... talk about gouging their customers. What a crock of shit.

#17 9 months ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Stern would know what percentage of pinball buyers add a topper
the R&D costs of the topper have to be shared among a small percentage of buyers
if a topper has molded parts or custom circuit boards, then that forces a higher R&D budget

No

Just do what Homepin did and offer bonus included toppers to the first 250 preorders then never make them.

#18 9 months ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Just do what Homepin did and offer bonus included toppers to the first 250 preorders then never make them.

lol... yeah and that went well...

#19 9 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

lol... yeah and that went well...

Yes 250 - along with putting Stern out of business within 12 months that's how out of touch with reality the guy was.

#20 9 months ago
Quoted from J-drum11:

This just sold within the hour [quoted image]

I can't see yr pic, but assuming this is what you're talkin about?

Screenshot_20210108-202000_eBay (resized).jpg
#21 9 months ago

Freaking led light strip kits for games are selling for $500, why wouldn't a topper go for $1000? As long as people keep buying it they will keep raising prices.

#22 9 months ago

Well I remember the original day it was set in motion; when Stern announced they would start making toppers and everyone here cheered aboot it.

#23 9 months ago

This has always been my favorite topper. Because it has a DUEL PURPOSE! (I mean seriously, you can put your drinks up there).

A bargain at $79.99.

DE3E827E-2EE6-4ACF-8C82-F77D1093272E (resized).jpeg
#24 9 months ago

I can’t wait to tell my grandkids about the great topper run of aught 20. “Gather round kids, grandpa’s got a story...”(eyerolls and moaning).

#25 9 months ago

And, you'll look up at yr ehoh topper and smile,,,,,

#26 9 months ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

they RETAIL at $650 and $995??? Seriously? .

Thanks Ob... Stern!
Stern continues their greed by getting into the topper business. Bad for us... Great for them.

#27 9 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Thanks Ob... Stern!
Stern continues their greed by getting into the topper business. Bad for us... Great for them.

How is bad for you? If you don't want to pay for one, don't buy it.

#28 9 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I felt like an idiot for buying the Star Wars topper. Lots of people made fun of me. But then people came over my house, saw R2D2 doing his thing, realized how super-cool I really was, and wanted to be my friend.

And then you woke up...

#29 9 months ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

And then you woke up...

Whoosh

#30 9 months ago

Only 2 Led Zeppelin toppers left at Cointaker for $895

#31 9 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Only 2 Led Zeppelin toppers left at Cointaker for $895

Probably gone by now!

#32 9 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...saw R2D2 doing his thing, realized how super-cool I really was, and wanted to be my friend.

You’ll get lots of friends by offering free booze at your pinball get together!

#33 9 months ago

GOT topper is awesome, but it doesn’t work when you get it NIB because you have to cut/melt the dragon tail so the wings can flap. The house shields light up along with what houses are available to lock on the playfield. It’s a solid topper. Kinda cool, but I think the GOT or KISS topper started the craziness and the prices just went “off the rails” from then on.
Ps. I too have made more friends once I installed my Stern topper.

#34 9 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

$499 for BKSOR to me is one of the best toppers ever and now a bargain considering what it does compared to JP, TNMT and AIQ static over priced toppers.
[quoted image]

I wouldnt say its a bargain. The prices are insane.
I do agree that with pirates and mars attacks it's the best topper.
Ed: mm is also very nice.

#35 9 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Now we know you’re to blame for everything wrong with this hobby.

#36 9 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I can't see yr pic, but assuming this is what you're talkin about?
[quoted image]

Same seller as this??

4DEDF043-0FD5-4E68-A105-6D101E03808D (resized).png
#37 9 months ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I wouldn't pay $100 for any topper, forget $1000.
I don't care what people spend their money on, and they are free to do what makes them happy - but I don't get it. Most of them are chincy garbage. $1000 is just stupid for what they are.
I had the topper on my TWD Prem because it came with the machine, and it was fairly cool as toppers go - but not as cool as the $500+ I got for it selling it off almost immediately a year or so ago. That was the first I started seeing stupid money for toppers, and I thought that was retarded. I laughed all the way to the bank, and Stern sure as hell is doing the same it appears.
Now tying the toppers to exclusive modes or similar is so infuriating I'm getting near boycott zone though... talk about gouging their customers. What a crock of shit.

I'm with you on this. Most toppers suck any way, Look at those laser cut one's those are horrible. Most are fugly, chincy garbage anyway. Makes me laugh when i see a row of pins with shitty toppers on them.

#38 9 months ago

IMHO toppers make your game more special. This is why people pay stupid money for them. people want to think that their games are unique and special. It's not enough to just have a nice collection, the collection has to be unique in some way.

#39 9 months ago

I like to make my own toppers.

#41 9 months ago

As long as they sell they will continue to go up in price.

Not a topper fan personally, but everyone is different. I'd rather put that potential $$ into other games.

Chris

#42 9 months ago

I think this falls into the catagory of "a fool and his money are soon parted."

#43 9 months ago

What was the original purpose of a topper? In the beginning, Add information to the game? The first big topper for me was TAF. Flashing with the lighting, very cool still to this day. But the purpose? Eye Candy? A grabber for passers by? Think if you were walking past an arcade: the place is dark with the glow of games and you see out of the corner of your eye this big flash of light at the very top of a machine. That get your attention to stop and check out what is going on in there. Also gets the attention of everyone in there at the time. And we all like getting attention....

#44 9 months ago

When folks realized they could own something that others could not due to limited supply would be my guess.

#45 9 months ago

Usually, I'm not a topper person. I made an exception for Star Wars. I've since sold the game and plan to sell the topper in the future.

I do like ones that were made to go with the game like Whirlwind and White Water.

#46 9 months ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Usually, I'm not a topper person. I made an exception for Star Wars. I've since sold the game and plan to sell the topper in the future.
I do like ones that were made to go with the game like Whirlwind and White Water.

I am not either. Price goes up on resell but it is crazy.

#47 9 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've never seen your topper collection, and thought you were a swell guy!

#48 9 months ago

I purchased the R2-D2 topper (my wife did actually) and don't regret it one bit!

#49 9 months ago

CGC AFM topper rocks

#50 9 months ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

When TWD toppers started selling for crazy money on the second market appears to be when Stern realized how much they could charge for them. Similar to when JJP came onto the scene and showed Stern how much people were willing to pay for NIB machines.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside