You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STTNG HIgh.jpg
Captain Jean-Luc Toke.png
28bb1ee93ce9a6127d6db2d262f3c4cc (resized).jpg
IMG_1594 (resized).PNG
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Did something happen? Within literally the last 4 months, a stock decent ST:TNG seemingly jumped from $3500 +/- to $5000 minimum overnight (at least as far as asking prices are concerned). What gives?

And if we are talking about Star Trek games specifically, does anyone thin that ST:TNG is actually worth more than a Stern Star Trek Pro? Those seem to be available for $4000-$4500 all day long.

The apparent market price hike for ST:TNG has really come out of nowhere and seems to be isolated to this title. Are there any other "B LIST" B/W games that have been hovering at $3500 that have shot up overnight like this?

I don't own either game but do enjoy both. Id love to have either of them but based on this market, id go the Stern route all day long and still have money in my pocket for mods...

#2 7 years ago

I had trouble selling mine for $4600 back in June. Color dmd and GI mods.

#3 7 years ago

Extremely nice STTNGs have been in the $4500 range for years. Ones with average wear and no colorDMD and dirty subways are all you ever find for $3500 or below. Usually come with flaky optos or 12v issues the previous owner didn't feel like dealing with, too.

#4 7 years ago

STnG is an awesome game and finding one in good shape is a challenge. Most people have gone through 2-3 before they landed on one worth keeping. Mine ended up being the best of 2. I bought 2 games and made one really good one out of them, then sold off the 2nd one. Play it almost everyday.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

And if we are talking about Star Trek games specifically, does anyone thin that ST:TNG is actually worth more than a Stern Star Trek Pro?

Given equal condition, STTNG is the superior game and it's not close. It's a far better and more elaborate game. ST Pro is just the STTNG play field minus the canons, subways, and physical lock for making the Delta ramp shot. STTNG is harder, too. And has miles better art, particularly on the play field.

Theme-wise, ST: The Next Generation was one of the greatest shows of all time. The recent reboot (which the Stern game is based on) was generally regarded as decent, but I don't think it's particularly beloved by anyone.

#6 7 years ago

Condition is a major factor because the game becomes a pain in the ass if it's at all run down.

#7 7 years ago

People have lost their minds lately with these asking prices.

STTNG is a $3,500 game folks. And no I don't mean one with "flaky optos and 12v issues".

Edit: notice that all down votes are from STTNG owners

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Extremely nice STTNGs have been in the $4500 range for years.

That's just not true. You can find a nice one priced right if you are patient.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Extremely nice STTNGs have been in the $4500 range for years. Ones with average wear and no colorDMD and dirty subways are all you ever find for $3500 or below. Usually come with flaky optos or 12v issues the previous owner didn't feel like dealing with, too.

I've been looking for one on and off for a year now and agree with the $4500+ but disagree with the low end. I think the lowest I've seen was $3700 or $3800.

In short it seems like all of the WPC DMD games are climbing in value.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

STTNG is a $3,500 game folks. And no I don't mean one with "flaky optos and 12v issues".

Well not all games are treated the same. Condition is king and a STTNG with say new ramps, subway and a nice or new playfield will command a much higher price.

I'm doing a playfield swap on my STTNG right now. New ramps, new subway, all LED's, ColorDMD and more. When its done I would never let it go for less than $5,000, probably no less than $5500, maybe more.

#11 7 years ago

ST pro can't even be compared to a STTNG. I had a ST pro and it went out the door two weeks later. I am going to be getting a STTNG soon that will be for sale but ONLY because my best friend has one and we made a pact that no one will buy the same game. I acquired it in a three game deal. STTNG is super fun and ranks in the top ten...so how is that a "B" title? To me that is a "B" title price for an "A" title theme/game. Yeah, they require some tech if you get a beat up one but when they are working the game is awesome. With that said mine will be around the $4,000 mark when I sell in a couple weeks. I wish mine buddy didn't own one because it would be bolted to the floor.

#12 7 years ago

They haven't really.... i just passed on a few for 3600 and 3900 which were nice condition and all working machines. Now ones with color dmd and a few mods in nice condition may be 4200-4500 tho but id never pay over 4500 for one unless it was perfect with every upgrade available ....

#13 7 years ago

I listed mine for $4500 a few months ago. Super nice condition, full LEDs, no mods. I thought it was on the high side, figuring someone would beat me down to low 4s. It was gone for asking within an hour.

#14 7 years ago

I prefer Star Trek pro myself but I'm not sure how sttng can be considered a "B" title when it's a top 15 pin?

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

ST pro can't even be compared to a STTNG. I had a ST pro and it went out the door two weeks later. I am going to be getting a STTNG soon that will be for sale but ONLY because my best friend has one and we made a pact that no one will buy the same game. I acquired it in a three game deal. STTNG is super fun and ranks in the top ten...so how is that a "B" title? To me that is a "B" title price for an "A" title theme/game. Yeah, they require some tech if you get a beat up one but when they are working the game is awesome. With that said mine will be around the $4,000 mark when I sell in a couple weeks. I wish mine buddy didn't own one because it would be bolted to the floor.

I own both STTNG and a ST Pro for some reason, lol, probably because I enjoy Star Trek so much. STTNG is definitely the more loaded game and is a blast to play. However, I would give Sterns ST the edge when it comes to rules as it has a far deeper ruleset then STTNG in my opinion. With the official movie soundtrack added to Sterns ST it really makes the game one heck of an adrenaline rush.

#16 7 years ago

short answer, it is not.

3500 all day around these parts for standard nice quality and 100% working.

I remember a REALLY NICE one sitting for months and finally selling at 4kish in March. This thing was pimped out, LEDs, OCD board, the works.

I have recently seen some people asking 6k+ but they are smoking something.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well not all games are treated the same. Condition is king and a STTNG with say new ramps, subway and a nice or new playfield will command a much higher price.
I'm doing a playfield swap on my STTNG right now. New ramps, new subway, all LED's, ColorDMD and more. When its done I would never let it go for less than $5,000, probably no less than $5500, maybe more.

I am in the process of the doing the same. I think STTNG is a great pin. Better than the Stern ST. Add a pinsound card, color DMD, and some cool mods and its incredibly fun! I plan really customize my STTNG like my MB and T2.

#18 7 years ago

Struggled to let a really nice one go earlier this year.

Laser cannons
LEDS
target decals
extended lanes
etc etc

Could not sell it for 4500. Dropped to 4200 and got lots of interested. Traded it for cash and a bttf. When I sold bttf the money from that and sttng was over 5k. Pricing is weird on this one, very often has pf wear/broken ramps and is expensive to restore, but they sit at higher prices.

On the low end it seems like 3500 is about as low as they go.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I own both STTNG and a ST Pro for some reason, lol, probably because I enjoy Star Trek so much. STTNG is definitely the more loaded game and is a blast to play. However, I would give Sterns ST the edge when it comes to rules as it has a far deeper ruleset then STTNG in my opinion. With the official movie soundtrack added to Sterns ST it really makes the game one heck of an adrenaline rush.

Star Trek: The Next Generation is a pinball machine from 1993
Star Trek (Pro) is a pinball machine from October 2013

Considering the 20 year technology gap you would expect the Stern version to have a deeper ruleset.

The fact that the Williams version is still the more desirable version would lead to higher prices.

#20 7 years ago

I don't regret paying what I did for mine, the restoration quality done on it was worth every penny.

#21 7 years ago

What makes a 1997 (38 years old) Bally Kiss pinball machine worth over 3-6 k ???
I don't thinks its because of the snappy game play, or the deep rules.
It's because people want them, and I wouldn't sell mine ST:TNG for less than 5K

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

What makes a 1997 (38 years old) Bally Kiss pinball machine worth over 3-6 k ???
I don't thinks its because of the snappy game play, or the deep rules.
It's because people want them, and I wouldn't sell mine ST:TNG for less than 5K

Bally Kiss doesn't surface too frequently, and there's demand for it. However, I see them languish when they have price tags of $3k-$4k or more. $3k for a routed one is bonkers. $1500 for a routed one that more or less works seems to sell after a short time.

With STTNG, at any given time, I probably see one or two available for sale, so it's not a hard title to find. They seem to sell reasonably well in the $3100-$3800 range. Once they hit the magic $4k number, though...they sometimes sit, depending upon the condition.

#23 7 years ago

If Stern can charge 5K+ for their shit, then STTNG should be a 10K game. STTNG is to Stern Star Trek what IM is to IM Classic (Costco).

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from KBRI1700:

Star Trek: The Next Generation is a pinball machine from 1993
Star Trek (Pro) is a pinball machine from October 2013
Considering the 20 year technology gap you would expect the Stern version to have a deeper ruleset.
The fact that the Williams version is still the more desirable version would lead to higher prices.

Not to mention literally about 10X more toys and shots.

#25 7 years ago

It's 5000 when trekkie snobs think it's the best thing ever. Even more with bad lighting.

#26 7 years ago

I got lucky and picked up a nice fully working STTNG a few months ago for $3100. I expected to pay around $4k give or take a couple hundred before this one got listed locally.

The kids can bury me with this one and IJ. They aren't going anywhere.

#27 7 years ago

The prices of pins is absolutely CRAZY !!!! Look at ebay insane. Rather buy new ones, less chance of hacked up missing parts pos game $3600 for a grand lizard 5k for others hope they do get buried with them,they will never sell .

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from volcanodiver:

It's 5000 when trekkie snobs think it's the best thing ever. Even more with bad lighting.

I've heard of wine snobs, but never of 'Trekkie' snobs. But count me in as a Trekkie and a Trekker forever!

#29 7 years ago

I look at it another way. I am surprised how cheap it is compared to the other top rated B/W games. I am not advocating that the games should go up in price by any means, but, when you compare from a relative price standpoint to say IJ, TAF, SS, CV even MM and MB you get a lot of game for the money.

Eventually the price may run up like TAF seems to have done in recent years. Not sure why it hasn't myself considering from like I said a relative standpoint.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I look at it another way. I am surprised how cheap it is compared to the other top rated B/W games. I am not advocating that the games should go up in price by any means, but, when you compare from a relative price standpoint to say IJ, TAF, SS, CV even MM and MB you get a lot of game for the money.
Eventually the price may run up like TAF seems to have done in recent years. Not sure why it hasn't myself considering from like I said a relative standpoint.

Shhhh.... keep the relative value compared to other top level games quiet. Well, at least until I can find one for my collection, LOL.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

when you compare from a relative price standpoint to say IJ, TAF, SS, CV even MM and MB you get a lot of game for the money.

I agree 100% STTNG is undervalued and in my opinion it is the best pinball machine ever made. It is the theme that de-values the machine. Not everyone is into Star Trek and Williams also made quite a few of them. It is all about supply and demand. There always seems to be one for sale or available which tends to keep the pricing relative. I think it blows MB, AFM, CV, MM out of the water with all of the features and layout. IJ is the only Williams that can even come close to STTNG in my opinion. Best Steve Ritchie machine ever-a masterpiece!

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I've heard of wine snobs, but never of 'Trekkie' snobs. But count me in as a Trekkie and a Trekker forever!

the trekkie snob knows who he is, he follows me around thumbs downing anything I post, just like above. and this one shortly too.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Lol! Literally everyone that down voted this has a STTNG in their collection. The price pumping around here lately is INSANE!

#34 7 years ago

I often wonder why this game hovers in the 3500-4000.00 range and Indiana Jones goes 2-3k more. ST:TNG is one of the best games ever made.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I often wonder why this game hovers in the 3500-4000.00 range and Indiana Jones goes 2-3k more. ST:TNG is one of the best games ever made.

Theme

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Time warp

Quoted from pinlink:

The price pumping around here lately is INSANE!

OR, they have BOUGHT a STTTNG and know the price...hmmmm....naaaaah, that makes too much sense in our new fact free society.

PS It's not a 5k game. It's around 4k for players, 4500+ for GREAT shape.

#37 7 years ago

Eventually, all of the routed/dirty/flaky games get bought up by newer collectors who are willing to pay a few hundred more than the older crowd who has always seen it as being worth $3,000 or less. The newer crowd puts money into the game to make it shine and off you go with a new higher price (warranted or not--different debate there). Maybe another even newer hobbyist buys that machine and does the same thing. All while the old hobbyists who have had the game on their want list (but only at $3,000 or less) are left trying to find the last few beaters that anyone would bother letting go for that amount.

See also: just about any decent 90's Bally/Williams title.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

So, I have to say this to put into context how much price pumping/price cheerleading has been going on here on Pinside.

Back over the summer, I was looking for a BSD. I had some people come offering me theirs with nearly white faded cabinets and relatively little upgrades for $3200+.

I got mine from a trusted (read: more than most of anyone in Pinside) individual who is not on Pinside for nearly $1000 less - with RED cabinet decals.

It shouldn't be that way. It should be the opposite. People here have gotten to the point they ARE the new distributors. Makes me sick.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Time warp

OR, they have BOUGHT a STTTNG and know the price...hmmmm....naaaaah, that makes too much sense in our new fact free society.
PS It's not a 5k game. It's around 4k for players, 4500+ for GREAT shape.

I'd love for them to chime in with what they paid. They are not basing it off what they paid, but what they hope it is now worth. You think they all paid 4-4500? You're kidding yourself.

#40 7 years ago

I am not sure why anyone would pay 5k (or close to it) for a STTNG when you can go find so many better games for 2500-3500?

Just looking in pinside classifieds I see at least 5 games that i would consider so much better in all aspects (theme, layout, ruleset, fun, lastability, no crappy outlanes that need modified, and no poor opto setup) for under 3k.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

You think they all paid 4-4500? You're kidding yourself.

Aren't we talking about current prices? Times change. Prices change. Maybe the rough and tumble teeny tiny world of pinball ownership isn't for you. Collectibles often go up or down independent to the rate of inflation. Be honest, you sold one a few years back and wish you had held on to it, right?

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Times change. Prices change

LOL!! So what was the quote below about? You were implying that because they have bought a STTNG that they would know what a good price would be. This keeps getting better! So to be clear, owners of the game are most qualified to determine current value?

Quoted from Wickerman2:

OR, they have BOUGHT a STTTNG and know the price...hmmmm....naaaaah,

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

owners of the game are most qualified to determine current value?

typically you watch the prices and look at current games to compare...so, yes. obviously

Wait a minute...are you what they call an "internet troll"? Bravo! You got me.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I'd love for them to chime in with what they paid. They are not basing it off what they paid, but what they hope it is now worth. You think they all paid 4-4500? You're kidding yourself.

I'm sure you're going to come back with a snarky response to me, but maybe people posting on here really do know what the going price is...and maybe you might be open to actually listening to them instead of flatly just discounting their opinion. There are always exceptions to "average" prices. There are super low prices, and super high prices that aren't the norm. That said, the average price is definitely higher than it was a few years ago. That's just the reality.

If you are patient, you may find a better deal, but average price point has risen. It happens. You have given your opinion, and you don't need to get nasty with people who might not agree with you.

And my disclaimer...over the last 5 years I have bought and sold this game several times personally so I do speak from experience. And I don't currently own it.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

typically you watch the prices and look at current games to compare...so, yes.

Your point was an owner is better qualified to do this than a non owner. Do you understand that an owner would be more inclined to suggest a higher value?

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I'm sure you're going to come back with a snarky response to me, but maybe people posting on here really do know what the going price is...and maybe you might be open to actually listening to them instead of flatly just discounting their opinion. There are always exceptions to "average" prices. There are super low prices, and super high prices that aren't the norm. That said, the average price is definitely higher than it was a few years ago. That's just the reality.
If you are patient, you may find a better deal, but average price point has risen. It happens. You have given your opinion, and you don't need to get nasty with people who might not agree with you.
And my disclaimer...over the last 5 years I have bought and sold this game several times personally so I do speak from experience. And I don't currently own it.

So what is your opinion on current market value of a STTNG?

#47 7 years ago

because the pinball market is Horseshit right now, and it seems its not only Stern and JJP etc. I love how everyone hates on them for high prices but has no issue asking big money for their pins, I'll say it again, Horseshit.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I down-voted that comment, and I'm NOT a STTNG owner, nor have I ever owned one. I did, however, play them back when they came out and there was always a wait

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Are there any other "B LIST" B/W games that have been hovering at $3500 that have shot up overnight like this?

This statement is just not true. STTNG is an A-list game. Seems like certain people are trying to make it a B-list game to drive down the value for some reason

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

So what is your opinion on current market value of a STTNG?

Between 4-5k on average.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-sttng-become-5000?hl=kronlar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.