Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MikeS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

STTNG HIgh.jpg
Captain Jean-Luc Toke.png
28bb1ee93ce9a6127d6db2d262f3c4cc (resized).jpg
IMG_1594 (resized).PNG

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it's a decent chunk of change but it's not like you can do it over and over. you have to hit the beta quadrant ramp an increasing number of times to activate it. it's not remotely imbalanced compared to a decent Borg Multiball. yes, it's a memorizable video mode that's boring once you memorize the pattern, and sure it's worthwhile to go for, but it's not imbalanced score-wise. you can't repeat it over and over unless you are flawless at repeating the beta ramp dozens of times.
edit: went and looked it up. here are the number of times you have to hit the ramp to light the video mode: 3,9,21,27,33,39,51,57,63,69,81,87,93,99
so to get a billion out of the video mode (equivalent to a good Borg Multiball with a little bit of a jackpot built up) you have to hit the beta ramp 51 times. if you can make that ramp 51 times in one game, you deserve to win. yes, it grants you artifacts too, but those are only beneficial if you actually manage to go through all seven primary missions and make it to Final Frontier, which is certainly not an easy thing to do even if you are timing out the modes. if the strategy you are employing requires making it to the Final Frontier wizard mode, i don't think that counts as an "exploit".

It's no exploit. It's a small amount of points you can get along the way, and the artifact will pay off in FF (IF you get there, and someone who thinks sttng has "scoring exploits" probably don't get there too much) but it's no easy exploit. You can also disable the ability to get video mode on launch in the setting very easily that's a minor adjustment. It's a very balanced scoring game and you can play for FF or multiball or both for big scores which makes it a great player. Excellent software that avoids the "timeout and move on" trap of many other games of the era.

Sttng is a great game all around. It's also a $3500-4500 game ALL DAY LONG in nice shape - as proven by sales on pinside and at shows all the time - and people trying to price pump this title aren't fooling anybody. They made a shitload of them (last title to go over 10,000), the theme isn't top of the heap for many, and it's difficultly (see any joe kiss bitching thread) and reliability issues scare many people off.

I just sold a nice one that had minor issues for $3300 here on pinside and it took a week with tons of obnoxious lowballers before a good buyer who saw the value pulled the trigger.

Great game. Great value. $3500-4500 (and that's being very generous on the high end) all day long. You want to slap some powder coat, tacky LEDs and cheesy mods all of it be our guest but don't think it's gonna push your game up into new stern price territory.

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

but don't think it's gonna push your game up into new stern price territory.

What if they can figure a way to ghost their inserts? How much does that add?

#103 2 years ago

Indeed a great game. I have a good friend who owns it so I will likely never own it but I still love it.

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Oh I don't? Can you explain to me how a video mode that runs a consistent easy to remember pattern which scores massive points isn't a scoring exploit?
I'm getting deja vu because I feel like I've already done this with you in a couple STTNG threads. The exact same people each time. Some of you people are blinded by "it's the best pin ever made attitude" that you completely ignore just how bad the unbalanced the scoring and strategy actually is. You will literally never play half of the game because it simply isn't worth anything. The risks don't equal the rewards. That's massively unbalanced.

We get it, you don't like fun.

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

the artifact will pay off in FF (IF you get there, and someone who thinks sttng has "scoring exploits" probably don't get there too much

Come on, it's not hard at all to get to FF. You can get to the wizard mode of the game shooting the exact same shot dead center of the playfield with no obstructions or much risk, what 8 times? Even then you can plunge a bunch of them with start mode. If you don't do that the game plunges directly to the left flipper with a straight shot at it. I can't see how under any circumstances that could ever be considered difficult. At any rate artifacts pay off regardless of getting to FF. Just an absurd amount more when you get to FF. Where hitting shots in modes scores you anywhere in the neighborhood of 5-50 million (give or take), getting to FF with a set gives you 1 BILLION. That's balanced? . I'm not saying you need to hit the ramp 51 times and only shoot for video mode. I'm saying it isn't uncommon at all to hit the video mode at least a couple of times in a game without even trying and get to FF with very minimal work. Anyone that thinks STTNG has rock solid balanced code is super naive or sets the bar of what good code is insanely low. A good portion of the game will never get played because it simply isn't worth anything. I'm fine with whatever scoring strategy people employ. You don't have to call it an exploit if you don't want. If it's coded into the game, it's fair to use. For someone like me that cares more about the code in a game than anything else, having balance issues like that (along with the many others in STTNG) means the game simply can't be called a keeper. Fun while it lasted but once you get to know the in's and out's it loses too much and doesn't stack up well at all with games that have actual good code and scoring.

I realize it's some people's holy grail game but it isn't for me. I get the theme, love it. I get the sounds and lights, love it. I get the layout and shots, love them. In the code department it needs a major overhaul to be worth tying that much money up into (for me). I'll say it again that if it ever got a code redo I'd be first in line.

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We get it, you don't like fun.

haha believe it or not I actually had tons of fun with it when I owned it. Unfortunately that's when I got my first keith johnson game and I saw the light . And to be fair I'm just as hard on a couple of those games where they fall short as much as I love them.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

haha believe it or not I actually had tons of fun with it when I owned it. Unfortunately that's when I got my first keith johnson game and I saw the light

I love Keith's games (I have LOTR, Hobbit, FGY and TSPP) ...but not every game needs to be that. It's interesting that you're hung up on the scoring in STTNG, as Keith's games (IMO) are more about the adventure and theme integration than scores. When I play LOTR I'm trying to advance through the story...the score is what it is. I guess I feel the same about STTNG - I don't really pay attention to the score...I try to play the modes, advance through them, enjoy the great integration of theme...and then when the game is over...the score is what it is.

#108 2 years ago

Sold mine for $4800 about 2 years ago at this point. No colordmd at that point. Really nice condition, PF shined and played super great. Had our full led kit in it, but no other major mods really.

This game has a ton of stuff going on, so a ton of stuff to go wrong. Based on that I think we see a wide variety of prices ranging from $3000 to $6000. The game is insanely popular so loads of mods and upgrades are available for it as well

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

$3500 may not be worth it to you (i wouldn't pay the going rate for a pin i'm not interested in either) but i think most fully-working non-trashed STTNGs would be gone in a day at $3500. $5k needs to be an almost outstanding specimen, though, with like you said ColorDMD and upgraded toys. (i don't think we are disagreeing much)

I hope we aren't I meant 3500 is a fair price for a players condition, I didn't mean biased in a bad way either, like I said being an OG series superfan i kept my 25th ann. for way longer than I would have if was a theme I wasn't passionate about, if the data east version looked and played even half as good as STTNG it would still be here, listen I've owned that pin 3 times and really loved each time but it never lasted longer than a few months, mode based pins rarely do for me anyway, Alien will stick around long after I've had my fill due to the fact its Aliens.

#110 2 years ago

funny how the original post says its a B title. its been a top 10 pin for a long time.

#111 2 years ago

I'll tell you why, and i quote:

"One of the best ever/highest ranking pinball games of all time! Part of the Williams Super Game series!"

Come on, its part of the Williams Super Game series

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I try to play the modes, advance through them, enjoy the great integration of theme...and then when the game is over...the score is what it is.

This is a very true statement. Back in the day when this came out new, I remember almost everyone playing it (or Mortal Kombat II) for the story advancement, and not so much for racking points. It did seem to attract fans of the TV show more than ordinary people.

#113 2 years ago

I got my STTNG in trade straight up for a Shadow I got for $2600 and had about $350 in to it with Aurich graphics and LEDs. Nice example STTNG that only needed some connectors repinned due to battery damage. The previous owner replaced the CPU and Driver board and a bunch of other stuff trying to diagnose it. I recently tossed a PinSound in it and new flipper fidelity speakers. It is for sure one of my favorite games. I have about $3800 in to mine at this point and am very happy with it. If I were to sell it I would probably ask $4500 knowing that everyone wants to negotiate. I however have no plan to sell it.

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Come on, it's not hard at all to get to FF. You can get to the wizard mode of the game shooting the exact same shot dead center of the playfield with no obstructions or much risk, what 8 times? Even then you can plunge a bunch of them with start mode. If you don't do that the game plunges directly to the left flipper with a straight shot at it. I can't see how under any circumstances that could ever be considered difficult. At any rate artifacts pay off regardless of getting to FF. Just an absurd amount more when you get to FF. Where hitting shots in modes scores you anywhere in the neighborhood of 5-50 million (give or take), getting to FF with a set gives you 1 BILLION. That's balanced? . I'm not saying you need to hit the ramp 51 times and only shoot for video mode. I'm saying it isn't uncommon at all to hit the video mode at least a couple of times in a game without even trying and get to FF with very minimal work. Anyone that thinks STTNG has rock solid balanced code is super naive or sets the bar of what good code is insanely low. A good portion of the game will never get played because it simply isn't worth anything. I'm fine with whatever scoring strategy people employ. You don't have to call it an exploit if you don't want. If it's coded into the game, it's fair to use. For someone like me that cares more about the code in a game than anything else, having balance issues like that (along with the many others in STTNG) means the game simply can't be called a keeper. Fun while it lasted but once you get to know the in's and out's it loses too much and doesn't stack up well at all with games that have actual good code and scoring.
I realize it's some people's holy grail game but it isn't for me. I get the theme, love it. I get the sounds and lights, love it. I get the layout and shots, love them. In the code department it needs a major overhaul to be worth tying that much money up into (for me). I'll say it again that if it ever got a code redo I'd be first in line.

Timing out modes to get to FF and playing video mode over and over may get you some decent scores in a tournament setting.-I'll admit it's not a good tourney game because of this. But in a home setting you're never going to put up monster scores by doing this. In a home setting I'm always trying for the monster game. If I reach FF with less than 8 artifacts I consider it a disappointment. If you time out modes your FF shots are only going to be worth 10m and you don't get a huge bonus at the beginning. If you have 10 artifacts than each shot is worth (250m)! Plus you get 2 billion at the start of FF. I've owned my STTNG for over 10 years and never get tired of the gameplay and think the rules are very solid! I always play through the modes (at least until you get the artifact). and yes, the Shuttle videomode is probably more valuable than it should be but in the grand scheme of things it's likely not going to ever get you more than 600m or so in a game. My GC score is over 17B and very little of that came from timing out modes or repeating the videomode. I've played all the 90's games and honestly think the STTNG rule-set is within the top 5 coded games of that decade. It would be even higher if there was a way to disable the videomode and make Warp 9.9 more lucrative but it is what it is.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm always trying for the monster game.

try getting the Picard maneuver (I have once!!) or just warp 9.9! Game is not "easy" by any stretch...especially if you have a conservative tilt setting "You are withOUT honor"

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

especially if you have a conservative tilt setting "You are withOUT honor"

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

try getting the Picard maneuver (I have once!!) or just warp 9.9! Game is not "easy" by any stretch...especially if you have a conservative tilt setting "You are withOUT honor"

I've put over 12 billion, been to FF twice in the same game and done the "Picard Maneuver" a number of times.......but I have NEVER hit warp 9.9!!!!

#118 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've put over 12 billion, been to FF twice in the same game and done the "Picard Maneuver" a number of times.......but I have NEVER hit warp 9.9!!!!

I've hit it a number of times (I've played the game thousands of times in the 10 years I've owned it) but it just seems like it should give you more than 60m points being how difficult it is! it's the toughest objective in the game... It should at least give you 200m and an artifact for completing it. It's kind of like hitting the 3 way combo in Whirlwind and hearing the siren go off. Awesome to complete but only 250K points....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside