Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Propaganda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

This isn't a slam on sterns at all, In fact, I own two of them and will never part with them. I am just looking to pick up another pin and am wondering at what Point they began to feel less "solid". I bought a tspp nib and recently picked up a RBION. Both of these feel super solid to me. However, many posts on here discuss the newer sterns feeling cheap. At what point did sterns start to change from how tspp and rbion felt?

#2 11 years ago

My AC/DC feels better than any of my W/B games ! Elvis , not so much .

#3 11 years ago

Many people will agree that Iron Man was a big hit in the solid feel department. Others will say as soon as they changed the name from Sega.

#4 11 years ago

That's encouraging! I've read lots of stern bashing on here, but my tspp and rbion are light years ahead of my whirlwind and gilligans island in terms of feeling solid. I understand the nostalgia factor, but it makes zero sense to me that whirlwind can be rated so much higher than rbion. I would gladly let my whirlwind go and pick up another stern. I have had nothing but a great experience with the sterns and want to pick up another in the very near future. I haven't had much experience with the Sterns of late, but by reading the posts on here it sounds as if some drastic changes have been made.

#5 11 years ago

RBION feels solid as a rock.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed! I picked it up on a whim and I love it! I can't understand its low rating. Some of the high rated games make no sense to me whatsoever, I.e. mb....I can't for the life of me understand the undying devotion to this game. It always seemed like a one trick pony to me, but to each his own. I guess if rbion garnered as much attention I wouldn't have been able to pick it up for what is, comparatively speaking, small change.

#7 11 years ago

Tron and AC/DC are much more solid feeling than a Williams.

#8 11 years ago

Most of the bashing is BS and people just nitpicking. The machines are not as bad as you would think reading about them. Same as the Chevy v Ford v Dodge. They are all pretty good but every couple of years one will have a small problem and it gets beat to death.

#9 11 years ago

My RBION and whirlwind both feel solid and are both great games. My space jam feels cheap and I can see why people diss the segas. RBION really should be rated so much higher then it is though, I think a lot of the bad ratings are from people who played it a couple of times and didn't get into it's depth.
In terms of newer sterns I've played a lot of transformers and that pin feels cheap and seems to have a lot of issues with quality (the one I have played has, yours may vary) but I still rate it highly and have a blast playing it when it works correctly. I do think with the quality issues though it's a case of the few buyers who get stuck with a lemon venting where as the happy buyers have no need to vent.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

I would gladly let my Whirlwind go and pick up another stern.

Well then, maybe you should sell me your Whirlwind

#11 11 years ago

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

#12 11 years ago

im in the minority, but IMO bally/williams pins are the ones that feel cheap...all of my DE and gottlieb games have been solid and sturdy with little to no problems...willams/bally usually are basket cases...

#13 11 years ago

Every time I've played a Tron Pro (no mods) it's felt and looked very cheap to me. Same goes for Avengers LE. AC/DC Premium is great though, and nothing about it seems cheap, except for the moving band, but it's more cheesy than cheap looking. None of the older Stern games look and feel cheap to me (LOTR, TSPP, Spider-man, etc).

#14 11 years ago

x men and acdc le are fine but ironman and rolling stones feel cheap as hell. I hated both. I know there is a new love trend toward IM but still, both RS and IM are on location locally and I don't play them becose of the weak cheap factor.

#15 11 years ago

Stern started feeling cheap when they bought Chicago Coin.

#16 11 years ago

Everybody has different perspectives.

I have a HUO RBION next to my X-Men LE and the X-Men feels better than the RBION to me.

Powder coated side rails vs. generic black side rails, back glass vs. translite, LEDs vs incandescent bulbs.

Have the X-men next to my B/W games, and again I don't feel a drop off. Didn't notice a drop off either when I owned my BSM.

#17 11 years ago

To me, Stern was starting to get cheap when Striker Xtreme and HRC came out. Then when TSPP and LOTR were released, that changed.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Everybody has different perspectives.
I have a HUO RBION next to my X-Men LE and the X-Men feels better than the RBION to me.
Powder coated side rails vs. generic black side rails, back glass vs. translite, LEDs vs incandescent bulbs.
Have the X-men next to my B/W games, and again I don't feel a drop off. Didn't notice a drop off either when I owned my BSM.

Those things you mentioned aren't "feel" though. Also I don't think comparing LE specific features with a pre-LE game is fair.

#19 11 years ago

Long ago when the pin was a virgin from the factory, it was innocent. But after getting slapped around and many coins in her slot over the years, she started to, let's just say feel "dirty". She used to be a one owner pin. Once she was dumped for a younger newer model with bigger LEDs, she started shacking up at various guys houses. Afterwards, she felt cheap.

#20 11 years ago

I think a lot of it is in the weight. Somehow people associate the weight of the machine to higher quality. In fact, heavier weight is not desirable and only makes the machine more difficult to transport and repair. One thread recently talked about how high quality and heavy the JJP WoZ machine felt. Big deal I say. When's the last time a stern machine cabinet fell apart be aide it buckled under the weight of the rest if the machine? Ridiculous.

#21 11 years ago

Ithink pinball manufacturers like stern have learned from past mistakes made by bally Williams. They made too good of a product in the 90's which resulted in an over inflated market of pinball machines. Why buy new machines when the 8 year old pin is still making operators coin and seem to last. I'm not saying pin manufacturers are making a shitty product but I'm thinking the life expectancy on a particular part ratio is lower now then before.

The disadvantages now is that pinball is turning more into a residential market and clients expect their games to last since they are not routed.

My two cents

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Long ago when the pin was a virgin from the factory, it was innocent. But after getting slapped around and many coins in her slot over the years, she started to, let's just say feel "dirty". She used to be a one owner pin. Once she was dumped for a younger newer model with bigger LEDs, she started shacking up at various guys houses. Afterwards, she felt cheap.

Lol!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Post of the Day!!!!!!!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

RBION feels old school... When did Stern make the transition to the smaller pop bumpers? Was that around 2007? I'm not saying the games are less reliable, but that was when they started looking cheaper and feeling really light.

They always had a lighter flipper feel, which I think is a lot of what people describe. Its less "thunkier" than the older Williams stuff if that makes sense. I think that feel combined with the heavier Williams cabinets is what makes them feel more solid.

I do also feel this is getting to the point where Stern needs to address it. Maybe I'm just used to old klunkers, but Avengers felt alarmingly cheesy to me.

Before people start piling on that I'm a Stern hater, I love RBION and LOTR, but if you don't think the newer stuff has a distinctly different feel than the older games, I don't think you're being honest with yourself. Just look at the amount of metal playfield elements on those two vs. the new stuff.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Those things you mentioned aren't "feel" though. Also I don't think comparing LE specific features with a pre-LE game is fair.

Okay-

Pro today versus old Stern- only differences pre-Iron man are Lock down mechanism, playfield support, and metal apron to plastic apron. Only thing you "feel" would be a plastic apron in terms of game play. I've put a 100 games on an Iron man and it doesn't feel any better or worse to me than anything before it.

I had a TSPP for 4 years, played slower than other pins I had, but I didn't think it felt inferior just different as it was not a fast flow game because of garage vuk, Otto hole, I/S hole, etc....

If people want to judge a game on light sockets, thicker gauge wire, Diamond Plate clear coat, metal ramps etc..., that is a different debate for quality of BOM used. Feel is just too subjective as it is an opinion.

#26 11 years ago

Sometime around 1984

#27 11 years ago

"Feel cheap" and "feel solid" are such amiguous terms in pinball, though.

Take the most solid feeling Wms built machine you can name and put buttons on it with worn-out springs and it'll feel sloppy and cheap. New buttons and it feels solid as a rock.

Sometimes just changing plastic posts to metal ones makes a huge difference. Or new rubber. Etc.

Plastic aprons definitely don't help. Wireformed ramp returns seem to always add a solid feel. So many factors that I don't think it can really be tied to a particular company or build. Cheap-looking is much easier to define. Cheap feeling is tough.

#28 11 years ago

I love the Chevy to Ford comparison someone mentioned. I know die hard fans of both and the argument is the same as in this thread. Imo, Stern and BW only feel cheap if you are biased one way or the other.

I love my two Sterns but, I also really enjoy playing my buddies BW games. I don't feel either is of better quality through game play.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Tron and AC/DC are much more solid feeling than a Williams.

I respectably disagree. Iv played both Pro and Premium ACDCs and there is a huge difference in feel or 'cheapness'. I think thats the rub. You gotta pay Premium prices to get a 'solid' stern. My Tron definitely feels less solid next to my SM and LOTR.

#30 11 years ago

for me another part of the "feel" is that when missing some shots I flinch expecting the machine to break. With other machines they seem more solid when the ball hits something. Doesn't help that 2 acdcs near me both have issues already and the TF near my work is constantly broken too.

#31 11 years ago

They must put more time and care into certain games.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

for me another part of the "feel" is that when missing some shots I flinch expecting the machine to break. With other machines they seem more solid when the ball hits something. Doesn't help that 2 acdcs near me both have issues already and the TF near my work is constantly broken too.

Its the vibratey-boink instead of the solid clunk of missing a shot. I feels you bro.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I respectably disagree.

So you don't think that your Tron feels much less flimsy than your Whitewater?

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Its the vibratey-boink instead of the solid clunk of missing a shot. I feels you bro.

yeah thats it for me. I'm generalising a bit as I have not played avengers or x-men but the other newer sterns I've played have been like that. "feel" is kind of the wrong word, when I'm using it I mean it in the same sense that a nice ramp shot may "feel" good, some contact "feels" weaker for me it's hard to explain. If the majority survive the hits well in a few years though then I guess their fine but so far I'm not sure their surviving on route well in my area.

#35 11 years ago

I think this is completely subjective. I finally got to play a modern Stern in Lord of the Rings and to me the thing felt like a giant Zizzle. I think the sort of mailed in photoshop play fields might color people's views, like inexpensive and lazy might equal "cheap". Regardless, those slings felt like toys.

I don't really have much experience with Sterns though so the above is not an opinion, just an observation based on a single afternoon.

#36 11 years ago

After playing all my modern Sterns, All the bally williams seem cheap and feel cheap. Most of the operators I know have had fall less service problems with Sterns, bally williams were always having problems on location.

#37 11 years ago

Sometimes something as simple as tightening the leg bolts makes the cabinet and whole game feel more solid.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So you don't think that your Tron feels much less flimsy than your Whitewater?

I was trying to compare apples to apples.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Stern started feeling cheap when they bought Chicago Coin.

That is TOTAL BS...!!!!!......

#41 11 years ago

Stern started to lower it's quality after 1999, once WMS was out of the picture.

#42 11 years ago

I always thought that Avatar was the 'modern' demarcation of going 'cheap'.

#43 11 years ago

Seems to me that the topic would be better titled, "When did Stern STOP feeling cheap?", since it appears to be a foregone conclusion that, if they once did, since Tron or so they do no longer. Or at least since ACDC. I'm not in the market and have never laid eyes on one, but even given the JJP / Stern pissing matches I've witnessed I'm not sure I've ever heard one single opinion against that machine.

#44 11 years ago

I noticed tron adn forward the pf's jump around in the cab when the auto plunger fires. Never used to do this.....

#45 11 years ago

"When did you stop beating your wife?"

Sorry, that's what this thread sounds like to me.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

well put ROFL

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

After playing all my modern Sterns, All the bally williams seem cheap and feel cheap. Most of the operators I know have had fall less service problems with Sterns, bally williams were always having problems on location.

Well now you know one who has had tons of problems with Sterns! I will happily admit that they do get played the most of my games on location, so that definitely plays a role, but they have far more serious and frequent issues than my B/W games. Most of the time when one of the B/W games has a problem it ends up being something really basic like a broken wire. The Sterns tend to have dead transistors and optos, and shattered paper-thin ramps and plastics. Oh, and almost every single EOS actuator has snapped off. I just begrudgingly ordered $150 worth of the pieces of junk yesterday. I know people claim Sterns don't need EOS switches at all, but my Iron Man's coil burned up days after one of the actuators snapped off, so I figured I'd play it safe and replace them all.

When I put my Iron Man out less than a year ago it was new. The other day I found the entire right side of the right ramp snapped off, despite the ridiculously flimsy included metal "ramp protector" (I should've gone for the Cliffy). Sure, B/W games have ramps that eventually break too, but this wasn't just a crack or small chunk. We're talking about a 4 inch length of the wall of the ramp, all the way up to the screw. The plastic they use these days is just pathetically thin.

To answer the original question though, there isn't a point past which Sterns started looking and feeling cheap, however you define that. They have always felt this way. Search RGP, you will find posts about the cheap feel dating back to Monopoly and certainly back into the Sega/DE years as well.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

My AC/DC feels better than any of my W/B games ! Elvis , not so much .

I strongly disagree. I enjoy the gameplay and flow of Elvis and believe its one of Sterns best games. As much as I like the band I wish they could have done much more with AC/DC.

#49 11 years ago

Nostalgia has a funny way of making things seem better than they actually were.

Thank god Stern doesn't make pins like the ones from the late 80's into the mid 90's.

Seriously. Thank god.

Imagine finding out your new AC/DC was only allowed to be built with the technology available in 1989.

I'll take improvements and advancement over the old rhetoric any day.

A '57 Chevy rides nice. A 2012 Lexus rides nicer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Blackwood, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valdosta, GA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-sterns-start-to-feel-cheap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.