(Topic ID: 208971)

When did Stern stop using lead paint (if they have)?

By volcanolotus

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bonzo442
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1B72E0E-E3B2-4BD1-A202-5EDA680EEC79 (resized).jpeg
    shreddertgri (resized).jpg
    lead (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

Lead was in Paint WELL into the 90s and early 2000s for industrial applications, of which pinball (or at least parts of the manufacturing process) count. So wear a mask.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from volcanolotus:

There's one response downthread saying that lead paint was used into the 2000s. Here's another from a person who I think is generally considered to be an authority on restoration, yes?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/15#post-1575381
    So what I'm looking for is just what I asked - it seems from what I've read that everyone in the pinball industry used lead paint up through sometime in the 2000s. It also seems that no one is using it now. Stern (or Data East/Sega) existed in both of those times, so they must have stopped at some point. I was wondering if anyone knew when. There's a lot of knowledge here, so it seemed like someone might have a definitive answer, or at least be willing to share games they've tested themselves and the results.
    I did contact Stern directly to ask but never got a response.
    And I'm pretty sure solder vaporizes around 450 degrees C - if a pin is getting that hot it seems like lead would be the least of concerns...

The definitive answer is probably “when we ran out of the last can”. If they stopped using it at all.

Industrial and commercial products and pre-products (like say a cabinet which is then shipped to the factory for assembly) just simply are not regulated to the same degree that consumer grade products are. I bet Zizzle never used lead paint! Haha.

You can test, but I genuinely think even Stern wouldn’t be able tell you.

Last: there appears to be no regulation for the use of “industrial” paint. Industrial as opposed to architectural or decorative - meaning used in a home. “Industrial” applications would be hospitals, paint of machinery, and oh. I guess gaming machines.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-stern-stop-using-lead-paint-if-they-have?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.