(Topic ID: 107486)

When did pinball prices get so out of control??

By barakawins

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thedefog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-170.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

More people, more leagues, social media, pinball arcade app, barcades, culture of vintage gaming being hip for 18-35 year olds, general economic inflation can all be attributed to rising prices. NIB prices rose because stern had no competition then when they finally got it the established prices were on a high.
Right now they're just trying to beat each other in quality.... not price. 8k+ is really tough and tough to make money on a route but in order for the price to go down a chinese/korean/vietnamese manufacturer will have to come in and make a nice game for 4-5k to drive down prices in the NIB dept.

The price increase is 100% tied to late gen-x / early gen-y like myself being able to afford them now. The apps and VP tables just wet the appetite. Nostalgia factor is there, I played the games I own when I was little (minus Comet).

I don't think the hipster thing is a factor. Most of the barcades I've been to are nearly 100% vids. I guess they don't wanna deal with pin maintenance. Besides, riding around a vintage schwinn for 1/5th the cost of an entry pin in public gets you more hipster cred than a pin sitting in your house. I'm waiting for someone to mount a record player to the back of one with a tube amp running into vintage speakers. They can call it the WASP blaster.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from AloneMordakai:

As a new player (with 0 pins of my own so far), the prices on the market today are the only prices I've known. If prices were to suddenly drop, I'd definitely jump on some pins.

What I can suggest to you is what I have done: Find project games to restore, put some sweat equity into them. You can find beat-up/non-working project pins more often than good shape pins it seems to me.

Put some ads on your local Craigslist asking for pinball machines in any and all shape, see what people offer you. I knew nothing about repairing pinball machines a couple years ago. But I did have about 12 years of electronics experience and 8 years of doing repairs for people prior to that. The board work came naturally (as I had been doing mostly vintage analog synth gear and guitar effects boxes). The machine work/restore part was just lots of reading and some fudging where I couldn't find answers.

Sometimes you get lucky. You do need to know what you're looking at though, so it helps to bring someone along that knows what to look for, unless they're asking like $100 for a non-booting SS game.

I think this is good for anyone that is interested in owning/maintaining a collection. They break all the time, and you want to be able to fix them.

#50 9 years ago

In USSA, Pinball machine owns YOU!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-pinball-prices-get-so-out-of-control?tu=thedefog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.