Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dasvis
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I've searched the forum and found some different answers to this - early, mid, and late 80s. Is there a definitive system/game for each major manufacturer (Williams/Bally/Gottlieb/etc) when backboxes became hinged? This will help in determining my transportation options when going to look at games. Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

First one I remember with a hinge was Comet. Although my Pennant Fever (just before it) had a hinge too.... So it has to be during that transition from System 7 to System 9....

#3 9 years ago

1981 Ballys like EBD are hinged. No clasp on the back though. Just the hold down bolts inside the head.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

1981 Ballys like EBD are hinged. No clasp on the back though. Just the hold down bolts inside the head.

Yes. My Flash Gordon is hinged.

#5 9 years ago

Yeah, I didn't realize 1985 Spy Hunter was hinged until I had already unplugged all the connectors. When did they start adding the protective tubing around the wires?

#6 9 years ago

My Frontier was hinged, that's late 1980

#7 9 years ago

Seems like Bally (~1980) was ahead of Williams (~1985), and classic Stern never hinged?

#8 9 years ago

My Williams Space Shuttle (84) has a hinge. I do not trust it though, looks a little flimsy and it's worth it to just take it off.

#9 9 years ago

1980 Bally Mystic is NOT hinged.

#10 9 years ago

Bally Hotdoggin' is hinged as is Bally Viking, both released in the summer of 1980, right after Mystic.

#11 9 years ago

My Firepower did not have a hinge, and High Speed did.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

1980 Bally Mystic is NOT hinged.

Mine is.

#13 9 years ago

Looks like Gottlieb may have adapted its use around 1983 with Super Orbit.

#14 9 years ago

My 1980 Space Invaders is not hinged. Do not know what actual year this one was made (assuming they spanned several years with SI)

#15 9 years ago

I have two SIs, neither hinged, but my ('84) EBD and Black Pyramid are. (I will be putting hinges on the SI being rebuilt.) I believe the original 1st gen EBDs in '82 had removable heads.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

This will help in determining my transportation options when going to look at games.

Great question... This should be a good reference, once we know in what year each manufacturer made the change.
    -mof

#17 9 years ago

Atari Superman was the first that I know of. March 1979

#18 9 years ago

I take that back! Just a very different kind of hinge compared to modern ones. So Mystic is in.

#19 9 years ago

Spectrum was hinged. April 81

#20 9 years ago

Gorgar 1979, no hinge.

#21 9 years ago

When did heads start folding down?

I think the first known instance is recorded by the Egyptians!! Oh different game sorry.

#22 9 years ago

I think it was the System 9's for Williams. For Bally, I know Flash Gordon was hinged.

#23 9 years ago

1981 Bally Embryon & Eight ball deluxe have a hinged heads, but hinge is open on one side & will slide off if you tip it to one side when folded. Not cool if you don't realize it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-did-heads-start-folding-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.