(Topic ID: 50250)

When could we see Stern Star Trek pinball?

By StrykersArcade

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spockzoomin.gif
Trek-Future.jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

That would be WAY ahead of what I last heard from a close contact ... This was about a month ago, and they said they would really like to have it out by December, but it's looking more like beginning 2014. SR requested more time to work on the design. It's unlike Stern to actually get THAT far ahead of schedule, although it would be nice.

I hope it gets delayed till 2014 After already buying a hulk LE, acdc prem and Metallica LE this year. At 20k a year it would probably be cheaper for me to switch my addiction to meth or Herroin. Well I guess that not really true since I could always sell a pin and recoup money but easier said than done.

If Star Trek is as good or better than acdc it's gonna be hard for me to pass up though. I hesitated on Metallica for a few days and it almost cost me loosing out on mop LE, don't want to make the same mistake with trek. Considering how long king richie has been working on it and his track record, I can't imagine he will turn out anything short of amazing.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Ok, fair enough. But if that is correct, after the hobbit is out for a while, or when there contract ends, this would open the door for stern to renew the lotr contract for a rerun.
All possible if you claim is true. Hope it is.
I already gave up on a possible rerun of lotr cause of licenses, but this opens the door again.

Just to be clear; I'm merely speculating as that would make sense for JJP's attorneys to request and would be a difficult request to deny. I do not have any inside information to confirm or reject that happened though . . . it would just be standard.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Superman will be the pin between Metallica and Star Trek. It will be a retheme of Iron Man. You heard it here first.

In Pinball magazine #2 the interview with Stern I remember reading they were "taking a break on superheros for awhile"

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

In Pinball magazine #2 the interview with Stern I remember reading they were "taking a break on superheros for awhile"

Hallelujah !

#55 10 years ago

Amen ! Thank you Lord!

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Finally
A change of scenery for pinball

#57 10 years ago

I don't believe it.

#58 10 years ago

Whatever is next, presumably Star Trek, has historically been released in the Fall, and "unveiled"
at the IAPPA show in Orlando.....the last several years, within a few weeks, this has been true.
Make your plans to vacation in O-town, and enjoy the Southern Pinball Festival the same week.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I am just dreaming although I think it would e a huge success.

#60 10 years ago

I can see wanting to take a break on the superhero pins for a while, but what fills that void from the perspective of themes that generate the same type of buzz?

We probably won't see another music pin until late 2014 (at the earliest), so that leaves movie and TV (in addition to the Angry Birds rumors).

Obviously one is Star Trek, and if it does come up next from a release standpoint, does that leave a rotation of...

Ritchie: Star Trek
Trudeau: Original Theme?
Borg: ???

This assumes Gomez is out of the rotation.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

I can see wanting to take a break on the superhero pins for a while, but what fills that void from the perspective of themes that generate the same type of buzz?
We probably won't see another music pin until late 2014 (at the earliest), so that leaves movie and TV (in addition to the Angry Birds rumors).
Obviously one is Star Trek, and if it does come up next from a release standpoint, does that leave a rotation of...
Ritchie: Star Trek
Trudeau: Original Theme?
Borg: ???
This assumes Gomez is out of the rotation.

Stern has made it clear there will be no original theme due to the European market they continue to covet.

I agree with the sentiment that it is time to move away from Super Hero themes (for at least a year if not longer) but where can they go is a good question? TV themes BOMBED for them with the Sopranos, CSI, and 24 (those were the dark days of Stern at least) . . . do they give television another shot and go for Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead (two commonly requested themes)?

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Whatever is next, presumably Star Trek, has historically been released in the Fall, and "unveiled"
at the IAPPA show in Orlando.....the last several years, within a few weeks, this has been true.
Make your plans to vacation in O-town, and enjoy the Southern Pinball Festival the same week.

I'll be there Art.. But first, GameWarp

#63 10 years ago

IM rethemed as Superman! This gets me excited, IF you can swap out ROM code with IM's.

#64 10 years ago

Don't get yer hopes up....

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

IM rethemed as Superman! This gets me excited, IF you can swap out ROM code with IM's.

In my view they don't need to re-theme IM . . . they just need to do a quick LE run of IM with cosmetic enhancements (like a mirrored backglass) and LED lighting and it would sell like bananas. They would sell out a 500 machine run in my view.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

In my view they don't need to re-theme IM . . . they just need to do a quick LE run of IM with cosmetic enhancements (like a mirrored backglass) and LED lighting and it would sell like bananas. They would sell out a 500 machine run in my view.

Well, if we can't have General Zod rising up from a re themed IM, I'd take a NIB IM!

I wonder what they'd charge for something like that? I guess it would depend if they re ran it as an LE vs. just stamping out another 500 regular IMs, right?

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

Well, if we can't have General Zod rising up from a re themed IM, I'd take a NIB IM!
I wonder what they'd charge for something like that? I guess it would depend if they re ran it as an LE vs. just stamping out another 500 regular IMs, right?

I think they would struggle to justify an LE run of 500 IM's being sold for the same price as the METLE's. I'm sure they would be more than the current run of pros but unless they upped the code to interact with color changing LED's and what not (which I doubt they would do or even need to do to sell out of a 500 machine LE IM run) I think it would be under 6k.

5.5k is my guess of what they would go for . . . this is all pure and baseless speculation.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think they would struggle to justify an LE run of 500 IM's being sold for the same price as the METLE's. I'm sure they would be more than the current run of pros but unless they upped the code to interact with color changing LED's and what not (which I doubt they would do or even need to do to sell out of a 500 machine LE IM run) I think it would be under 6k.
5.5k is my guess of what they would go for . . . this is all pure and baseless speculation.

Okay, that makes sense.

I haven't been around long enough to know what the LE in an LE "re-run" actually meant (and yes I know it means limited edition!).

I mean I know it means the quantity is limited to a certain pre-determined amount, but I didn't know if they're built/priced to be LEs in the traditional sense (i.e. MOPLE).

#69 10 years ago

About rethemes, why does that not happen more?

Is this not allowed? Or will this not work?

For example iron and superman, that can work. But like medievel madness, what if they make that one, change the grafix and names and change that also in the modes and rules.

Name it castles and trolls or something like that. And you have a garanteed fun pin.

I think in every other business you have this, look at gaming. When a game is succesfull, it will be copies multiple times. But in pins it never happens.

Am i missing something? Or would almost every pinfan be interested in a nib classic game, only rethemed slighty?

When stern would bring out a rethemed medieval madness, use same lay out, toys and code, might add something in rules or modes, change the names etc.

I think that would sell out sky high.

Correct me of i am wrong, .

Edit

I must be wrong, or missing something like that its not allowed.

Cause when its not happening, there must be a reason. Cause this looks like relative easy money for a company like stern.

Retheming and slighty alter the code is much cheaper then building and coding a new pin from the ground up.

Only i have no clue why this is is not happening...

#70 10 years ago

Please Stern do not start retheming your designs you are putting out so many great pins as of late. Part of what makes them great is they are fresh and new designs not some pinball kit made from an old design. Please please do not start retheming stuff especially with the talented design staff you have at your disposal. Bring us new fresh designs.

#71 10 years ago

Can't wait to see how they implement Star Trek. This could be a keeper, but I hope SR stays away from new movie type art.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from Speed:

Can't wait to see how they implement Star Trek. This could be a keeper, but I hope SR stays away from new movie type art.

The potential art package has me a bit nervous as well. That and it being based on the two new movies and not the old shows. I was wanting a Picard/Sisco/Janeway/Archer/Kirk centered theme featuring all the old ships from the older shows...I have no special bond with the reboot.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The potential art package has me a bit nervous as well. That and it being based on the two new movies and not the old shows. I was wanting a Picard/Sisco/Janeway/Archer/Kirk centered theme featuring all the old ships from the older shows...I have no special bond with the reboot.

I do enjoy the new movies, but one with all of the captains would be pretty sweet. Kind of like the Dr. Who pin.

#74 10 years ago

I would be shocked if it was not based off the new movie and new theme. Thats just how it works.

#75 10 years ago

See, I personally would want the new movie art. I'm a huge fan of all of the Star Trek series, but Star Trek today belongs to the new guys.

#76 10 years ago

This made the rounds on Facebook yesterday. There are so many examples of this. Hypospray... and now you can get your flu vaccine as a spray mist. Trek RULES!

Trek-Future.jpgTrek-Future.jpg

#77 10 years ago

Although they DID predict Peace On Earth too.....

#78 10 years ago

Miniskirts as military uniforms too.

What's with the 1973 date on that cell?

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

What's with the 1973 date on that cell?

There's an unpictured 18 pound battery pack hanging off the bottom of it.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

About rethemes, why does that not happen more?
Is this not allowed? Or will this not work?

I think a boutique manufacturer could certainly turn out rethemed tables, but Stern would be raked over the coals if they were to try and sell a rethemed machine right now. The demand is for original, unique, blockbusting tables full of new unseen tech toys and features.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Although they DID predict Peace On Earth too.....

Yeah, but what year?

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I would be shocked if it was not based off the new movie and new theme. Thats just how it works.

Yea I doubt the rights holder would allow Stern to pick and choose what era they want to do in the franchise. They most likely want the new Star Trek series to be seen and advertised right now. Info on this release has been pretty hard to come by. I hope it is going well and that SR takes it over the top. Seems like us pinball addicts like when he does that. And we like with our wallets.

#84 10 years ago

SR needs to leak some details so I can get my pin house in order. No throwing down money until I see what's under the skirt... I don't like bad surprises

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Metallica is a fun pin it will continue to do well IMO. I've heard one project after Metallica and then SR release of Star Trek. Either way, I would say the earliest we will see Stern ST is late September or some time in October. I can't imagine what they would put in between Metallica and ST but I know I won't be very likely move on something until I see what this ST project is all about. Sorry I just can't do it I am too intrigued to see what SR has in store for us on this one.

I heard there's another pin before ST too

#86 10 years ago

There's no way in hell that it will be anything other then what's used in the new movies...

#87 10 years ago

spockzoomin.gifspockzoomin.gif

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agree idea of offering IMLE is a great one and I have stated that Stern could easily sell 500 pins on a few occasions. Game is a known design with good rules and is lots of fun. Its high demand indicates it was underrun. But if game was rethemed as Superman with ability to swap in the IM ROM, then you could enjoy two games for one.

For those who haven't directly experienced this on a FGY/Shrek, you might not appreciate how fantastic that option is. Having a totally new sound and music package at the tip of your fingers keeps the game fresh. Even better benefit of swapping the ROM though is that from first plunge, you would already know the rules and only need to orient yourself to new names. When you play a game that has another game's ROM, there is a level of data processing going on in your brain. This added dimension makes me feel smarter whenI play one.

#89 10 years ago

I think Stern would be smart to release something at or around expo!

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Did they mention anything about wanting to concentrate on music themes?

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I think Stern would be smart to release something at or around expo!

Yes, the something will be word of their new game - Star Trek.

#92 10 years ago

Answer to this thread header is not soon enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-could-we-see-star-trek/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.