Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jackpar1_(resized).jpg
    TwinStar_(resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

They still produced machines under both brands.

Did they keep separate design teams? How was it decided which brand to release the games under?
    I'm guessing they shared the same production line and parts etc but what was different between them?

Inquiring minds want to know...

#2 7 years ago

First they built a Bally, then they built a Williams. It wasn't really any more complicated than that.

At first they maintained different cabinets but changed that before Dr. Who was released. The boards themselves were all Williams after the merger.

#3 7 years ago

Truck Stop was the first game released after the merge (under the Midway label) and it uses a mix of Bally and Williams parts. For example, the upper flippers are Bally mechs and the lower flippers are Williams' design.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Truck Stop was the first game released after the merge (under the Midway label) and it uses a mix of Bally and Williams parts. For example, the upper flippers are Bally mechs and the lower flippers are Williams' design.

And the CPU was Bally 6803 but the Sound board was WMS (as I recall).

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Well, that one was designed at Bally and was ready to go.

#6 7 years ago

I remember I started a thread asking pretty much the same question not too long ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-had-the-better-games-after-the-williamsbally-merge

Seems like the consensus is that Bally/Williams just flip flopped on slapping each other's name on a design as it rolled out of the factory.

#7 7 years ago

Why don't we start a little earlier? I've noticed that Bally and Williams make slot machines today. I assume that they're separate companies. Was Bally pinball separate from Bally slots? When did that happen?

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Why don't we start a little earlier?

OK. Harry Williams worked for Bally in the 1930s.

#9 7 years ago

I don't know how it ties into development or release, but one thing I've always liked about the Williams games was how they integrated the W-ball logo into the cabinet art. Whereas on Ballys, they just kind of slap-crammed the name on as an afterthought.

So it seems possible some games were designed with the branding intent almost right from the start, at least as far as the art goes. Some title licenses might have offered more flexibility to integrate the W-ball, while others did not and thus became Bally's?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Why don't we start a little earlier? I've noticed that Bally and Williams make slot machines today. I assume that they're separate companies. Was Bally pinball separate from Bally slots? When did that happen?

Scientific Game Corp. acquired WMS and Williams Interactive in 2013 and Bally Technologies in 2014 and they make the slots now! ahhh the insanity of it all. ps SGMS stock went up 6.47% today. holla

#11 7 years ago

The beginning of the end..................

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Bally Pinball & slots were the same company (Bally Manufacturing Corporation) until the pinball division was sold to Williams/WMS. In 1992 Bally Gaming International was formed by spinning off the slot machine assets of Bally Manufacturing Corporation.

Williams slots were once "Seeburg Slots" by Gaming Devices, Inc. after that fiasco was closed up, Williams got back into it several years later and never looked back. Eventually Williams/Bally Pinball was shut down and Williams slots survived. Eventually becoming WMS Slots. Now that Scientific Games owns both WMS Industries and Bally Technologies, it's one happy family these days. Well, unless you're an employee there....

TwinStar_(resized).pngTwinStar_(resized).png

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Bally Pinball & slots were the same company (Bally Manufacturing Corporation) until the pinball division was sold to Williams/WMS. In 1992 Bally Gaming International was formed by spinning off the slot machine assets of Bally Manufacturing Corporation.
    Williams slots were once "Seeburg Slots" by Gaming Devices, Inc. after that fiasco was closed up, Williams got back into it several years later and never looked back. Eventually Williams/Bally Pinball was shut down and Williams slots survived. Eventually becoming WMS Slots. Now that Scientific Games owns both WMS Industries and Bally Technologies, it's one happy family these days. Well, unless you're an employee there....

Thanks. That was the info I was looking for.

#14 7 years ago

Now we can argue about the superiority of Bally/Williams slot machines for the next 10 years!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Now we can argue about the superiority of Bally/Williams slot machines for the next 10 years!

I love me some Jackpot Party with spinning reels!

Hello 1999!Hello 1999!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

And the CPU was Bally 6803 but the Sound board was WMS (as I recall).

Here is the head of my truckstop.

edit for some reason the upload is failing. here is a link
    https://goo.gl/photos/4jnKaWmxnhRaiJ4u6

#17 7 years ago

That certainly looks like a sys11 era WMS sound board ...

Compare to : http://www.beerorkid.com/pin/System%209-11/Part1/index1_files/bk2ks.jpg

#18 7 years ago

I am really developing a love for the late B/W pins. Looking to change up my lineup a bit and go to more B/W. Those guys could really make games.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I love me some Jackpot Party with spinning reels!

For some reason, I want a Dotmation Slot so bad.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

For some reason, I want a Dotmation Slot so bad.

They use the larger "Sega" display and put it to great use. They're all done by former pinball people so naturally they're great.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-bally-and-williams-merged and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.