(Topic ID: 247580)

When and where is the first time u guys came across pinball games?

By makeusgreater

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What do u think is the age level for most pinsiders?”

• 10-20 18 votes
    39%
  • 20-35 1 vote
    2%
  • 35-50 21 votes
    46%
  • 50-80 5 votes
    11%
  • Over 80 1 vote
    2%

(46 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

431A3A83-6E42-475A-880F-5FE1FDA53BF1 (resized).png
images (resized).jpg
images (2) (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

just come up with an interesting idea, when and where do u pinsiders came across with pinball games for the first time. That must be an precious memory.

Me first. It was in a game room in my hometown Wuhan when i was in middle school in 2001. Then I can't help myself and went there almost everyday during the summer vocation...
images (2) (resized).jpgimages (2) (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

We had some ems in my basement.

I would play pool and pinball with my dad, then we would cook hot dogs in the fireplace while he was drinking crown and cokes.

I vividly remember him telling me to flip only one flipper and not both.
I was 4

#4 4 years ago

Probably the first time I got to play pinball is when i was around seven me and my dad are big movie guys and the guy he gets his stereo equipment from had pinball machines. So after we bought a game it sat in the basment for six years until I started playing it and caught the pinball bug.

#5 4 years ago

Saw a Willy Wonka at a bowling alley. Had no idea what pinball was.

#6 4 years ago

0-10? he was standing in a mommy chair and playing, lol

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

cool. that's how the story begins~

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

We had some ems in my basement.
I would play pool and pinball with my dad, then we would cook hot dogs in the fireplace while he was drinking crown and cokes.
I vividly remember him telling me to flip only one flipper and not both.
I was 4

wow~ the warm image come into my brain.father and son flipping together. that's the furthest thing we can remember in age of 4.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Probably the first time I got to play pinball is when i was around seven me and my dad are big movie guys and the guy he gets his stereo equipment from had pinball machines. So after we bought a game it sat in the basment for six years until I started playing it and caught the pinball bug.

hah~ we cannot refuse the magic power of pinball and lost in pinball world~ go ahead, body, just love pinball!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

Probably still don't. LOL!

3 weeks later
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Probably still don't. LOL!

He just puts his juice on spinners schudel5

#12 4 years ago

I remember an arcade next to a toy store, all I remember was it was all pinballs. Probably around '76. The first I remember playing as Black Knight at the American Legion where my dad lived in Texas.

#13 4 years ago

1969 Local swim club behind my house.
The owner Walt had like 12+ early 60’s Gottlieb's and a Williams baseball.Buckaroo was my fav. I remember being dripping wet playing that game.
Wish I had pics of the pins.

431A3A83-6E42-475A-880F-5FE1FDA53BF1 (resized).png431A3A83-6E42-475A-880F-5FE1FDA53BF1 (resized).png
#14 4 years ago

I have fuzzy memories of seeing Taxi, Black Knight, etc. in malls in the late eighties when I was 10-12. I was definitely playing by the early nineties (my early teens), either at the mall or the local Putt Putt.

#15 4 years ago

Alladin's Castle in the new mall built in 1977. It was all arcade games until early 1978 when the pins were introduced. Mata Hari, Eight Ball and Power Play were all new. The digital scoring was the coolest. Gas pumps displays were still the "rollover" type at the time. Wasn't long after pins were everywhere. The local Majik Market always had a pin or two. I was 12 at the time and it was a golden age for pinball. Little did we know what the future years would bring. Pinball has been in my blood ever since.

#16 4 years ago

Williams Hot Line at a Lakeman's market, and Bally Sea Ray and Fireball at Carter Bowl are the first titles I have a clear memory of.

#17 4 years ago

Earliest one I remember playing was Bally Eight Ball in a roadside motel game room along I95, probably in South Carolina. Family trip to Disney, mid 80s. Think Red Roof Inn with a game room that smelled of heavily used air conditioning in the deep South.

I remember the game wouldn't end because I kept getting replays.

But I got hooked on pinball playing Time Machine in high school at the local mall arcade.

#18 4 years ago

a tiny pizza place called "Capri" in Beckley W.V.A had my first ever slice of pizza there & first memory of ever seeing Pinball machines it was either 1973 or 1974 I was five or 6 years old , cant remember what games they were but there were two in a back room my brother begged my dad for some quarters to play & my dad gave in & we played a few games but he always kept commenting that they were rip off machines & only foolish people spent money on them ha ha ha

1 month later
#19 4 years ago

Hit the playfield with nipple on his mouth...cannot imagine. lol

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I have fuzzy memories of seeing Taxi, Black Knight, etc. in malls in the late eighties when I was 10-12. I was definitely playing by the early nineties (my early teens), either at the mall or the local Putt Putt.

yeah, that's unforgettable memories and happends in that typical time

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Alladin's Castle in the new mall built in 1977. It was all arcade games until early 1978 when the pins were introduced. Mata Hari, Eight Ball and Power Play were all new. The digital scoring was the coolest. Gas pumps displays were still the "rollover" type at the time. Wasn't long after pins were everywhere. The local Majik Market always had a pin or two. I was 12 at the time and it was a golden age for pinball. Little did we know what the future years would bring. Pinball has been in my blood ever since.

it's true. the happy times will be in our memory forever.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Earliest one I remember playing was Bally Eight Ball in a roadside motel game room along I95, probably in South Carolina. Family trip to Disney, mid 80s. Think Red Roof Inn with a game room that smelled of heavily used air conditioning in the deep South.
I remember the game wouldn't end because I kept getting replays.
But I got hooked on pinball playing Time Machine in high school at the local mall arcade.

Mee too. It's easy to get hooked. I went to the game room almost everyday when i was in middle school.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

a tiny pizza place called "Capri" in Beckley W.V.A had my first ever slice of pizza there & first memory of ever seeing Pinball machines it was either 1973 or 1974 I was five or 6 years old , cant remember what games they were but there were two in a back room my brother begged my dad for some quarters to play & my dad gave in & we played a few games but he always kept commenting that they were rip off machines & only foolish people spent money on them ha ha ha

Parents don't want us to be addicted to it and leave more time for our classes. Like what we are expecting on our children now.

#24 4 years ago

My father brought home a Gottlieb Jungle from my uncles tavern when I was 4. I played it while standing on a step stool. My dad gave me the pin a few decades later and it’s still in my collection. While growing up, the local mini mart always had a couple pins to eat my quarters.

#25 4 years ago

There was data east Star Wars pinball machine at the Marriott hotel near Disneyland. We would go there and play it, bubble hockey and the Star Wars arcade. Those are my first memories of arcade games.

Data east Star Wars was my first pin. I bought it in 2001. I since have a bubble hockey as well. I love the nostalgia.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

There was data east Star Wars pinball machine at the Marriott hotel near Disneyland. We would go there and play it, bubble hockey and the Star Wars arcade. Those are my first memories of arcade games.
Data east Star Wars was my first pin. I bought it in 2001. I since have a bubble hockey as well. I love the nostalgia.

Ya.. Star War is the common memory. Thank u for the great company!

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Deltron:

My father brought home a Gottlieb Jungle from my uncles tavern when I was 4. I played it while standing on a step stool. My dad gave me the pin a few decades later and it’s still in my collection. While growing up, the local mini mart always had a couple pins to eat my quarters.

Father And Son, what a warm story.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from makeusgreater:

Hit the playfield with nipple on his mouth...cannot imagine. lol

I saw no fewer than 3 parents with children under 1 year old strapped to their chest playing pinball at California Extreme this year. They should have had a Baby Bjorn Tourney.

#29 4 years ago

My first memory of pinball was in the early 90’s at a pizza joint called Sharky’s Pizza, it was located in a small mining town in AZ. I was around 6 or so and I would beg my mom for quarters when we would go so I could play Creature From The Black Lagoon. I remember they also had an Elvira And The Party Monster and one other pin I can’t really recall besides their being a scantly clad woman on the back-glass, kinda like paragon but can’t quite remember. The thing I remember the most about playing Creature was hearing the callout “stay cool Daddy-O”. I played pinball a few other times in arcade growing up but none made the impression that Creature made on me. I consider Creature my Grail game and hope to own one day in the future!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyder138:

I saw no fewer than 3 parents with children under 1 year old strapped to their chest playing pinball at California Extreme this year. They should have had a Baby Bjorn Tourney.

lol. It starts from childhood...

#31 4 years ago

The first time I ever played Pinball I was in high school. The nearest pizzaria joint to our home had a pinball machine at the back. I had seen the game there many times, but, I was really never interested in playing. But, my friend liked it, and soon, I was addicted. I have not looked back since.

#32 4 years ago

the first pinball machines I saw (but I do not remember playing) would have been in the early 70s when I was about 8yo, in the local milkbar

the first games I remember playing would have been Grand Prix and Space Odyssey in the local arcade

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-and-where-is-the-first-time-came-across-pinball-games?hl=kuchiyaji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.