(Topic ID: 113339)

Wheel Of Fortune (WOF)Tech issue solved. TY Chas!

By Pinfidel

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by tktlwyr
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So, last night I flip on WOF to play for a while. I LOVE that game. Well, the wheel was all messed up. It started spinning counter clockwise, then when I started a game it went clockwise and was just slowly sputtering along and would never stop.

Now, here's where I have to give MAJOR Kudos to Chaz over at Stern Tech. Every time I call over there I almost always get Chas. Pat is awesome too and has helped me BIG TIME on my NASCAR nightmare SO props to him as well for sure. But Chas helped with my WOF today. I told him the issue and he said, yup, it's common with that game. You need to replace the transistor at Q5 with a 2N3904 Surface Mount Transistor. I'm like...Q5!? What? Where? How the heck!?

Like this guy ain't busy enough, right? He spent a half hour on the phone with me telling me where it was located on the back of the wheel itself, how to take the wheel off and how to fix it. God I love the guys at Stern Tech!

So, in the hopes of someone having this same fail someday, I wanted to come in and share this in the hopes that this helps them.

First off, all you need to do to remove the spinning wheel assembly up and out of the game is to first lift the PF and disconnect the connector under there. Then, drop the PF back down and remove the 2 connectors on the back bottom of the wheel itself. Then all you have to do is remove the 2 lower screws in the front of the wheel that screw down into the PF. Your wheel will now lift right up and out.

Now, look on the back of the wheel at the circuit board. With the wheel laying numbers side down, you'll see the Q5 transistor in the top left corner. It's a surface mount transistor so you need to de-solder it and then install your new 2N3904 Surface Mount Transistor in its place. Re-install your spinning wheel back into the game, plug in all 3 connectors and BINGO! You're back in business.

So I hope this helps someone out there and saves the guys at Stern a tech call.

#2 9 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. I will add this to my tech files for my game.

Chris

#3 9 years ago

Great guy Chaz. always helps me out as well. Stern tech is the best

#4 9 years ago

Sounds loke awesome customer service to me! Sounds like it was a free call too. I imagine Chas' and other tech's time is very valuable. Good deal!

#5 9 years ago

Great information to have stored away. Thanks for the post.

#6 9 years ago

I will agree . The techs at stern are amazing ! They always are patient and help in anyway they can . I also like that they never talk to you like your stupid or wasting there time . Great guys over there .

#7 9 years ago

Thank you for the information! This same problem just happened to my WoF during two days ago. Did you find the part locally or order from Stern or another parts supplier?

Russ

#8 9 years ago

I have been instructed to call Chas, but the Stern phone tree dumped me and i dont know his last name . Can someone PM me a direct line or any info i can use to leave him a message.

TIA

Ed Z

3 weeks later
#9 9 years ago

Chas Siddiqi technical support engineer at Stern Pinball, Melrose Park, Illinois
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

#10 9 years ago

Also Ed, odds are you will get Chas anyway. I have called Stern many times (always great support) and have only got Pat (also great) one time. Every other time it was Chas.

#11 9 years ago

I had a tech issue on my 2 month old STLE and was flat old told by Chas, "How come you're calling me? You should be calling your distributor." Neither took care of the problem. VERY disappointed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wheel-of-fortune-tech-issue-solved-ty-chas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.