View topic image gallery

19_Star_Trek_Enterprise_NCC1701D_stars.jpg
Wall_of_pins_comp.jpg
Overview_2_comp.jpg
Bottom_end_comp.jpg
3_rows_of_cabs.jpg
STTNG-LED.JPG
20110904_091627.jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

I’m thinking of snagging a STTNG from a friend in my city. Good price, and it was recently shopped out and everything (everything!) gone through by a local restorer. There is currently two balls getting spit out, so I’ll have a minor trough issue to deal with, but nothing bad.

I’ve played this a bit, but never really any good games. I know it is well received, but what do all that have played this a lot think of it? I would get the funny roms, and I would absolutely need to have a alt translate made...

Biggest reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on this game in the past is because of the them.

#2 12 years ago

I'm not a fan of Star Trek - not even a little - but I do like that pin. It's totally fun and if you get the chance to own one, jump on it! I think it would have long-term ownership.

#3 12 years ago

IMHO, it's not only Steve Ritchie's best, but one of the best pins ever made, period. It's not super deep, but it's deep enough that there is a good deal of strategy involved if you want to maximize your score. It's got cool flowing ramps, great DCS sound, fun canon toys, and a nice assortment of shots. What more can you ask for? Unless you absolutely hate Start Trek, I don't really see how someone can dislike this pin. I'm still amazed that you can get mint examples of this game for well under $3,000. Considering how high it is ranked on most lists, this makes it one of the best bang for the buck pins out there.

#4 12 years ago

Well that's my prob, I do hate the theme, but I can somewhat hide it in the games room so I don't have to look at it when initially entering...

I would have an enterprise alt translate made, as other than that the colour scheme is really nice.

Is it just the 7 modes, get the 4 artefacts, and start the wizard?

#5 12 years ago

It should be a top 10 pin!! There is also warp factor 9.9 which is kind of like a second wizard mode.Great game and theme for me.

#6 12 years ago

It is a great game, challenging with killer outlanes but ultimatley rewarding. Very good sounds and rules and a great flow.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Is it just the 7 modes, get the 4 artefacts, and start the wizard?

If you're just going for "The Final Frontier" then yes. However, there's a bit more to do such as Borg multiball, the warp shots, three missions in the neutral zone, the Q continium (one of the modes but allows for a different high score post), one video mode and two secret ones. And the modes that lead to final frontier are also pretty varried.

#8 12 years ago

Don't forget one of the most satisfying shots in pinball....the Picard Maneuver!

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Don't forget one of the most satisfying shots in pinball....the Picard Maneuver!

haha, definitely. If you're going for layout and flow, this one is top notch. Also, this pin has some of the better toys seen on a pin like the two cannons that allow you to manually shoot a ball (used as a start up option and also during one of the modes) and the Borg ship that shoots a ball directly at you during multiball.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I totally agree with this statement. That shot is awesome. Also the 9.9 warp factor is so hard to shoot for. I've put up scores over 16billion on this game and yet I can only get to warp 9.4

#11 12 years ago

Too repetative, not a fan of mode based games... and the horrible bounce along the top of the slingshots as the ball makes it's way towards the outlanes is very frustrating! very hard to judge the right nudge to stop it draining!! The artrwork is not my cup of tea either, and the sounds are a bit repetative... the tune has a terrible habbit of burning itself in your memory and tormenting you for days!! Also the right connon can shoot the ball into the swirly wire rail, so that can be a bugger to adjust... apart form the it's excellent!

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Also the 9.9 warp factor is so hard to shoot for. I've put up scores over 16billion on this game and yet I can only get to warp 9.4

Warp 9.9 is the only real letdown on this game. It's so hard to do, and rather anticlimactic when you finally achieve it. I half expected the game to explode the first time I did it!

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

the tune has a terrible habbit of burning itself in your memory and tormenting you for days!!

LOL! That's funny, and very true. I've been waking up this week with the Funhouse theme going through my head. Damn you Rudy!!!

#14 12 years ago

Got me started on my pin addiction and gave probably played it more than anything else. I never get tired of it and there are always new challenges to find. Decided not to buy it for my first pin just because I wanted something a little simpler to take care of. Will own it someday I hope.

#15 12 years ago

Didn't like it on first impressions.

Played it again and like it a lot more.

Heard it breaks down a lot though.

#16 12 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with STTNG. It's the only machine I have at the moment. Had another trade offer for 2 other pins today.

It can be a BRUTAL game(I'm no pro, and couldn't IMAGINE getting 16 billion!) But when it flows, man does it flow. It's as deep as you make it, rather how well you can play it. The right outlane is a b****. The left is the same, but I set the kickback to easy, and that kinda evens it out. As it is, it is VERY hard to get to The Final Frontier with only 3 balls and no outlane extensions.

When I decided to buy a pin, this was the first one I really wanted to own. My personal Holy Grail. But there are days I am tempted to trade the hell out of it. Then, as soon as I decide to call someone to make a deal, it gives me an awesome game and reminds me why it is truly one of the greatest pinball machines ever made.

#17 12 years ago

if i had to get rid of one of my games this would be it. i like the play alot but this game is really prone to breaking down, and i am not great at fixing pins. the outlanes are killer to add to the frustration. finally, it's a beast to move with all the weight it has.

a solid game but would be the first to go.

p.s. it is nice with leds and flipper fidelity speakers.

#18 12 years ago

It's a great pin top 5 for me. Had a nice one sold it at the beginning of this year,regretted it the day after (I want it back gweempose ) I will buy another one some day soon.

#19 12 years ago

I have one in great conditon that is set up properly and I find it real challenging. Miss a shot and it will swiftly punish you. And I miss a lot of shots. Love it though and its making me a better player.

#20 12 years ago

I love the wide body. The cannons. The sound. And my SHAKER mod! Not hard to fix. Excellent manual and diagnostics tests. I upgraded bird of prey to hallmark version.

20110904_091627.jpg20110904_091627.jpg

#21 12 years ago

Looks nice with LEDs too

STTNG-LED.JPGSTTNG-LED.JPG

#22 12 years ago

Nice mod AV8! This is definitely one of Ritchie's best games. It will surely be in my basement some day.

#23 12 years ago

I'm not worried about fixing, that is all I seem to do, so I'm quite good at it now

I just can't decide on this. I will either buy this or a Fathom. Everyone's comments are more or less what I expected. Thanks for the help.

#24 12 years ago

I recently go this on a trade and man Im loving it. The more I play, the more I learn and get into it. Very satisfied and it may be a long term keeper for me. Two questions though....Funny Roms? Alternate translight? Tell me more please.

#25 12 years ago

I have the funny ROMs. They are pretty cool, and there are definitely some hilarious quotes such as "We will never surrender ... unless you pay us enough!"

#26 12 years ago

Yeah, the funny roms are a must, you need to get those pintastic. As for the alternate translite, there isn't one now, but I know there are people out there that can make them, so I would HAVE to have something other than the one on this game.... I couldn't stand the ridicule when my friends come over…

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I will either buy this or a Fathom

Whoa now, you never mentioned this before

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I will either buy this or a Fathom.

For what it's worth, my buddy has a STTNG and a Fathom. Fathom is on his "will never sell" list. STTNG is on his "won't sell unless I need to make room" list.

Oh, and last time I was at his place STTNG powered down right in the middle of a game the two times it was played. The Fathom was rock solid as always.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Whoa now, you never mentioned this before

Hey Pete,

Have a chance at both. Not really anything to compare between the two, but have a chance at a Fathom with a new PF to swap, perfect BG, stencils to redo cab, or a STTNG that is good to go more or less.

Or I can buy both... I have room for 0. Choices choices choices.

I need another house... I see you got a FH. You're the one that keeps surprising me. When are you making it down for some scotch and pinball?

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I will either buy this or a Fathom.

I'd go for the Fathom any day, but if you can get both, then do that! If you find you don't get on with the ST, you can always move it on... One of the great things about ST:TNG (in fact, THE best thing in my opinion) is that there are always lots of people interested in taking it off your hands

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

When are you making it down for some scotch and pinball?

Ah scotch and pinball. Sounds like I may have to schedule a little side trip the next time I'm in your neck of the woods. Actually the growth rate of your collection is making it very hard to resist!

I say if you can swing it get both games. If space is an issue and you don't want to thin the herd then do what I'm doing. I fold a game or two, put em in storage and rotate them out. It's my new space management system, and so far the wife is ok with it! LOL

If you find you don't get on with the ST;TNG, you can always move it on

+1

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I fold a game or two, put em in storage and rotate them out. It's my new space management system,

Sounds like you could do with a gamesroom extension/out-building/loft conversion... Nice collection by the way!

#33 12 years ago

Sounds like you could do with a gamesroom extension/out-building/loft conversion... Nice collection by the way!

Thanks! Actually I have lots of space, but I have to keep the "balance" so it doesn't look too "arcade-like". (Wife's term).

*edit* Holy crap I just checked your collection, awesome! Are they all set up?

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Are they all set up?

I wish!! I only have one set up at the moment (WH2O), the rest are in storage waiting for me to build a games-room... it's gonna be a long wait I fear... hopefully I'll live long enough to see it through to completion!!

#35 12 years ago

the rest are in storage

It's very frustrating to have them like this, but at least they don't need fixing!!

3_rows_of_cabs.jpg3_rows_of_cabs.jpg Bottom_end_comp.jpgBottom_end_comp.jpg Overview_2_comp.jpgOverview_2_comp.jpg

#36 12 years ago

Wall_of_pins_comp.jpgWall_of_pins_comp.jpg

#37 12 years ago

Nice, I see lots of gems in there

#38 12 years ago

It's very frustrating to have them like this, but at least they don't need fixing!!

HA! wait until you set them up!!!

My god man, those are some of the craziest pinball photos I have ever seen.... I feel for your frustration now.

As for folding, I have thought about it. I can fit about 15-16 machines in my main game room, and another 4-6 (once I rearrange) in my utility room, a couple spots reserved for fixers I find. I have a 9x4.5 pool table and large 12x6 bar in my games room. If I lost the pool table, which I just can’t bring myself to do, I could fit another 7. It is a large table with lots of thick sections of wood, and I refinished the entire thing myself, so that is what is making it hard... Would LOVE another 7 pins though

As for STTNG... I just don’t think I can do it, and it’s solely based on the theme.... I’m going to call around and see what a translate would cost to make today, as I found some photos of the enterprise I could have someone photoshop into a acceptable one, and make the call after that.

#39 12 years ago

So update... I may get this after all, as I'm working with a custom graphics company to complete a translite with just a massive shot of the Enterprise, and the original STTNG letters from the translite on the top section, and maybe some other stuff, but nothing cheasy.

I can tolerate this image, the other one is a deal breaker.

19_Star_Trek_Enterprise_NCC1701D_stars.jpg19_Star_Trek_Enterprise_NCC1701D_stars.jpg

#40 12 years ago

Do it!

#41 12 years ago

Looks awesome. Personally, I'd prefer more of a profile pic of the Enterprise. I'd also be very interested in who can do that kind of work. Wouldn't mind having an alternate made myself

#42 12 years ago

That's excellent!! I'd leave it exactly as it is... why add any lettering at all??

#43 12 years ago

That's pretty sweet Atomicboy. I'd love to see the finished product. Keep us posted.

#44 12 years ago

I just pulled it off the net, I didn't make it, if that's what some of you thought. There are many dif angles of the ship, but I like the "in your face" look of this. I was debating with or without the lettering, thought the lettering would be more "translitie". I think without the lettering, it might look to makeshift along side the others.

I'll have the guy photophop a few options, then decide.

The only road block is I have now had an IJ shoved in my face which I may grab. I would buy both, but finding the spot for one is going to be enough of a challenge. My wife may be getting another dog (do you remember that Pete? haha)

#45 12 years ago

I love that pic as well, and can kinda see it looking awesome without the lettering. But I'd probably put the lettering on it. Needs the logo for the, as you said, translitie feel. Keep us posted. Would love to see that project completed

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

My wife may be getting another dog (do you remember that Pete? haha)

Yup, I can't remember the exact phrase you used to describe that dog, but I laughed for days every time I thought about it...LOL!

My wife used to threaten getting a cat for every pin I bought. Thank god she didn't go through with it cause 13 cats is pretty much Crazy Cat Lady! And yes I'm aware 13 pins seems obsessive to some

#47 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I think without the lettering, it might look to makeshift along side the others.

I know what you mean, but on the other hand, it would make it unique and kind of special... That image alone has a kind of dynamic to it... you can imagine the ship moving... I think the lettering would kind of kill that!

#48 12 years ago

Well, it's official now, I'll be picking up an IJ tomorrow. The wife may get another dog to wing the STTNG too... god help me, another little a-hole destroying the house....

So Atomicboy, where ever will you find room for these machines?

...I don't know..................

#49 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

where ever will you find room for these machines?

Good question! I used to buy old vans and store them in there... a lot quicker than building a shed!

Conrats on the IJ... a better game than ST:TNG in my opinion!

#50 12 years ago

IJ here. Very nive machine, dirty, wrong flipper coil, very nice PF, cab not too badly faded, but will redecal in the future, POA not levelling right, will fix.

I'm going to overhall my AFM, and I will move STTNG there when I grab it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 15.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-thoughts-on-sttng?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.