Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ImNotNorm
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpg
    IMG_3332 (resized).JPG
    2388506766_241d9c512b_z (resized).jpg
    51RmXeGT-8L._SY300_ (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    My Pinside » Settings | Pinside.com (resized).png
    2012-06-14 23.18.43 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vanilla.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 6 years ago

Once I decide to be anonymous on a website it is self-defeating for me to try to identify myself in other ways. Although, it's useful to know the country at times, because in some forums posters sometimes talk locally and one doesn't know what they are talking about. Especially political comments where meanings can depend on the country of perspective.

None of my neighbors except one know I have pinball machines in the house and I like it that way. I don't need them to brag for me. My machines are immobile and make my house a sitting duck for crime. They're not like jewelry where I can stash them out of sight or off-site.

It's not enough to tell myself that a thief won't be able to walk out my door with a pinball machine. He may not realize that until after he breaks in. After all, my coworkers think a slot machine is a pachinko machine is a pinball machine is a gumball machine. No telling what a burglar thinks I have once he gets wind I have mucho coin-op. A burglar who thinks I have machines too huge to steal might break in anyway, thinking I keep money in them. Then he breaks the coin doors, because I didn't leave the key in them along with a note that there is milk and cookies in the fridge, then he finds out there is no money in them, then decides to smash the backglasses for satisfaction. Then he tells his peers where I live. Then I'm on the local news telling others what lesson they can learn from my experience, with the smart ones shaking their heads that I wasn't already careful.

Better to keep it on a need-to-know basis. No one needs to know unless I vet them first.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

LOL, paranoid much? Wow.

Not at all. I must shoulder fear quite well because I feel no fear. When guests come over to your house, do you tell them where in the house you stash cash money? No. Do you give out your bank passwords? No. Is it a consuming fear or paranoia that prevents your disclosure? No, it isn't. If I called you paranoid for not telling people these things, that would be overly much, wouldn't it?

That's all it is here. I know many collectors who understand having pinball discretion around non-pinball people. Maybe you know your neighbors. I do not. Not talking to them about my valuables seems quite sane, whether pinball or art or jewelry. What I think impressed you negatively is my forthrightness in delineating a scenario. Had you thinking I peer out from closed curtains, didn't it? Hey, you, get off my lawn!

In a year's time, our local news is bombarded with vandals and their efforts. I suppose there are such things as tidy, civil, and cooperative burglars who burgle only in the ways we imagine for them, but the ones on the news exceed those expectations. All I was trying to say in that scenario is that things can go very different than what one imagines and being dismissive has its risks, too.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

For those that are worried about catching a potential criminal's attention due to giving away certain information, I actually have spoke to a friend in law enforcement about this very thing. Not saying it can never happen, but he said they have had exactly zero instances in his 20+ years involving a home invasion with the intent to steal items due to someone posting on an online forum.

It's a roll of the dice, I guess. I'm surprised your friend seems unaware of all of the police stations nationwide that have opened up their parking lots and lobbies for Craigslist people to meet to complete their online transactions. I recall that the concern picked up steam after a 2010 murder in a home invasion:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/craigslist-diamond-ring-ad-leads-to-fathers-murder-in-home-invasion-say-wash-state-cops/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vanilla.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-opinion-on-publicly-displaying-where-you-are-from-on-pinsi?tu=vanilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.