2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 137 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by TheHueManatee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images (resized).jpg
    IMG_3332 (resized).JPG
    2388506766_241d9c512b_z (resized).jpg
    51RmXeGT-8L._SY300_ (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    My Pinside » Settings | Pinside.com (resized).png
    2012-06-14 23.18.43 (resized).jpg

There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago

I was publicly threatened here....that being said I am easy to find, since I use my real name on all forums.

#52 2 years ago

I recently set my collection to private and ratings because some goofs on this site went into my profile and took pics of some ratings I made and my collection then tried to use it against a comment that I made, that caused me to respond with great anger because I gotta tell ya if you get upset to the point that u would bother with that then the term "loser" comes to mind, anyway to avoid any chance of this happening in the future I set it to private, now if people are using where u live to counter an argument regarding pinball then that is at a level which I just don't understand.

#53 2 years ago

This is very sad to hear, and I'm sorry anybody would have to be subjective to this. We all lose when people close up and don't share. We don't always have to agree or be the same. Our differences are what makes us individuals and our common interests are what bonds us. Sorry to hear and understand.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I recently set my collection to private

FYI, your collection is not currently private, I can still see it.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

FYI, your collection is not currently private, I can still see it.

Yeah its just the ratings. I'm cool with the collection being public.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

So I don't think there is any more harm letting Pinsiders know where I live.

Don't be so sure about that I should be at your doorstep any minute.turn on the games and order us a pizza.

#57 2 years ago

I live so far out of town that I can't get pizza delivered. Never fear I have 3 or 4 frozen pizzas in the freezer at all times just for this kind of emergency.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

I live so far out of town that I can't get pizza delivered. Never fear I have 3 or 4 frozen pizzas in the freezer at all times just for this kind of emergency.

You live in Minnesota. Can't you just leave the pizzas outside?

#59 2 years ago

In winter it's warmer in the freezer then it is outside so the pizzas cook faster.

#60 2 years ago

Once I decide to be anonymous on a website it is self-defeating for me to try to identify myself in other ways. Although, it's useful to know the country at times, because in some forums posters sometimes talk locally and one doesn't know what they are talking about. Especially political comments where meanings can depend on the country of perspective.

None of my neighbors except one know I have pinball machines in the house and I like it that way. I don't need them to brag for me. My machines are immobile and make my house a sitting duck for crime. They're not like jewelry where I can stash them out of sight or off-site.

It's not enough to tell myself that a thief won't be able to walk out my door with a pinball machine. He may not realize that until after he breaks in. After all, my coworkers think a slot machine is a pachinko machine is a pinball machine is a gumball machine. No telling what a burglar thinks I have once he gets wind I have mucho coin-op. A burglar who thinks I have machines too huge to steal might break in anyway, thinking I keep money in them. Then he breaks the coin doors, because I didn't leave the key in them along with a note that there is milk and cookies in the fridge, then he finds out there is no money in them, then decides to smash the backglasses for satisfaction. Then he tells his peers where I live. Then I'm on the local news telling others what lesson they can learn from my experience, with the smart ones shaking their heads that I wasn't already careful.

Better to keep it on a need-to-know basis. No one needs to know unless I vet them first.

#61 2 years ago

Pins are heavy and hard to conceal when moving, so I don't think this would be possible in my neighborhood anyways. Thieves are lazy and usually looking for something they can grab and go out the back with. If a 52' truck and trailer pulled up in front of my house I would hope someone would notice as well as kicking a door in or breaking a window. And good luck getting it done in time with my alarm always set before the cops arrived. If they could move even one pin that fast then they should start a pin moving company and stop being so lazy. If I'm home then there is even less of a chance. And if I'm at work and they get my wife then they are going to be sorry for sure because that beautiful woman can handle her own. And for some reason they do succeed then there is my insurance to help. Life is too short to live in fear. Now tell us where you live and what games you have.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

I have one but they close at 9 pm

Quoted from beelzeboob:

You live in Minnesota. Can't you just leave the pizzas outside?

That's what I do in the winter

#63 2 years ago

I have no problem sharing my location.
    Especially if you guys are hankering for delicious Mexican food.
    You're more than welcome to stop by 7am-9pm on weekdays and 7am-10pm on weekends!

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

Once I decide to be anonymous on a website it is self-defeating for me to try to identify myself in other ways. Although, it's useful to know the country at times, because in some forums posters sometimes talk locally and one doesn't know what they are talking about. Especially political comments where meanings can depend on the country of perspective.
    None of my neighbors except one know I have pinball machines in the house and I like it that way. I don't need them to brag for me. My machines are immobile and make my house a sitting duck for crime. They're not like jewelry where I can stash them out of sight or off-site.
    It's not enough to tell myself that a thief won't be able to walk out my door with a pinball machine. He may not realize that until after he breaks in. After all, my coworkers think a slot machine is a pachinko machine is a pinball machine is a gumball machine. No telling what a burglar thinks I have once he gets wind I have mucho coin-op. A burglar who thinks I have machines too huge to steal might break in anyway, thinking I keep money in them. Then he breaks the coin doors, because I didn't leave the key in them along with a note that there is milk and cookies in the fridge, then he finds out there is no money in them, then decides to smash the backglasses for satisfaction. Then he tells his peers where I live. Then I'm on the local news telling others what lesson they can learn from my experience, with the smart ones shaking their heads that I wasn't already careful.
    Better to keep it on a need-to-know basis. No one needs to know unless I vet them first.

LOL, paranoid much? Wow.

#65 2 years ago

Hi gang,
    Good thread...any guesses about my state or very general city in that state ??!!??!!
    Kirk in Colorado

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

LOL, paranoid much? Wow.

Not at all. I must shoulder fear quite well because I feel no fear. When guests come over to your house, do you tell them where in the house you stash cash money? No. Do you give out your bank passwords? No. Is it a consuming fear or paranoia that prevents your disclosure? No, it isn't. If I called you paranoid for not telling people these things, that would be overly much, wouldn't it?

That's all it is here. I know many collectors who understand having pinball discretion around non-pinball people. Maybe you know your neighbors. I do not. Not talking to them about my valuables seems quite sane, whether pinball or art or jewelry. What I think impressed you negatively is my forthrightness in delineating a scenario. Had you thinking I peer out from closed curtains, didn't it? Hey, you, get off my lawn!

In a year's time, our local news is bombarded with vandals and their efforts. I suppose there are such things as tidy, civil, and cooperative burglars who burgle only in the ways we imagine for them, but the ones on the news exceed those expectations. All I was trying to say in that scenario is that things can go very different than what one imagines and being dismissive has its risks, too.

#67 2 years ago

I've seen a crackhead riding on a bicycle with a refrigerator on his back.if they want it theyll figire out a way to get it.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

See, Mine says Rockford, IL (which is legit enough). I technically live in small town right next to Rockford, but when I first set it up, I figured people that were somewhat close would know Rockford so went with that (only a mile or 2 diff....not like hours).
    The game collection thing is probably a whole different category... I mean, I dont hide my games I own, but don't publicly care to list every single machine I have either....
    Though, I did always mean to list at least my major players that are set up currently (never got around to it though. Lol).
    So, on the full profile aspect, I'm just as guilty.... still, just curious on others takes.

Now you have me wondering if you might be a friend of a friend of mine who lives in a small town next to Rockford. Either way your too close to me not to invite you over sometime who knows I've probably met you before anyway. As for your original question in this thread, I'm an open book my town and collection are accurate. I have no fear of thieves because I have nosy neighbors who have the same problem with guns as we do with pinball machines.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I recently set my collection to private and ratings because some goofs on this site went into my profile and took pics of some ratings I made and my collection then tried to use it against a comment that I made, that caused me to respond with great anger because I gotta tell ya if you get upset to the point that u would bother with that then the term "loser" comes to mind, anyway to avoid any chance of this happening in the future I set it to private, now if people are using where u live to counter an argument regarding pinball then that is at a level which I just don't understand.

People really should be publicly shamed when they research your old posts/ratings to make their argument. It's stalky an really says something about their character.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I take pride in living in "Kitsaptucky"!

I lived in Kitsap County from 1964 through 2000. Never heard the term 'Kitsaptucky.' When did that name take hold?

#71 2 years ago

I have my location set to members only. It keeps random web searches from seeing it but new members in my area can find me. I keep my collection private as I was getting a lot of people pming wanting to buy something that is not for sale. Plus it's not a competition and I really feel like it's no one's business what I own.

#72 2 years ago

I like knowing who the folks I am talking to are from. Probably a good chance I've lived close to many at some time with all the moves we have made for the military.

Side note, for any creepers that may be out there best of luck finding my ass in Tokyo!!

#73 2 years ago

I guess it's because I live in one of the safest cities in America that I don't see the point in being so secretive.

When I recently moved into my new house I saw moving these big ass games into my house as an icebreaker for neighbors. "Hey what do you got there?" "Pinball machines! Come play!"

We even set up a couple in the garage for Halloween (we moved in a couple days before), so the neighborhood could play.

I'm not hiding cash all over my house, and if someone tried to take one of my games, the whole neighborhood would know it (one of the perks of getting to know your neighbors).

Just don't steal my wife, kid, or dogs. Anything else can be replaced. No big deal.

#74 2 years ago

Any time personal information is available to the public you should be mindful of the risk and the rewards. Too often honest people haven't considered how a bad actor might misuse their data. Most of the interactions you'll have will be positive. Whether that outweighs the risk of a bad interaction is an individual decision.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

I lived in Kitsap County from 1964 through 2000. Never heard the term 'Kitsaptucky.' When did that name take hold?

Once meth, opioid abuse & cheap heroin became a mainstream thing/epidemic ... still not as bad as Snohomish (aka SnoHoCo) though!

#76 2 years ago

For those that are worried about catching a potential criminal's attention due to giving away certain information, I actually have spoke to a friend in law enforcement about this very thing. Not saying it can never happen, but he said they have had exactly zero instances in his 20+ years involving a home invasion with the intent to steal items due to someone posting on an online forum.

There have been multiple occasions that someone's house was broken into that have a pinball machine. He has only seen them stolen when they're in an easy access area to the outside. Garage, shop with a garage door, room with double doors leading outside. Otherwise it's not an easy target and they're left alone in favor of all other electronics.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

Otherwise it's not an easy target and they're left alone in favor of all other electronics.

Now I'm going to have to start hiding all my stereo/TV equipment in pinballs every time I leave the house so nobody wants to move them!

#78 2 years ago

For those that dont like to share collection...
    This is pinside, its what we do. Share...its ok, we dont want to drive long distances and steal machine's.
    I have plenty of camera's and door alarms. ADT is a great service with handy app to monitor when im gone. Insurance is my real comfort margin. If someone goes to all the effort to break in and steal machine's. Ill just get more and some NIB, upgrade collection!
    On another note, not going to buy from secretive pinsiders that dont share collection and location. It can say a lot on who to trust.
    Lastly, who says you have to post your "whole" collection..good friend only lists about half, keeping all the modern DMD and NIB private, only lists his system 11s and Ems. He has a lot of pins.
    I do the same. Not going to add King Kong, BBB or world cup 94 in collection soon. Just dont want the whole world to know i have them.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Now I'm going to have to start hiding all my stereo/TV equipment in pinballs every time I leave the house so nobody wants to move them!

Hey, what pins you got?
    Whats for sale? Please do tell!

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Hey, what pins you got?

Not my pics, but they are all pinball games I own

Sorry, not for sale

s-l300 (resized).jpg

51RmXeGT-8L._SY300_ (resized).jpg

2388506766_241d9c512b_z (resized).jpg

#81 2 years ago

Huh... nobody's ever PM'd me asking if I want to sell any of my games... my collection must suck LOL. Not really, just every game I have is relatively easy to find actually for sale somewhere, and no, not by me.

I suppose if you were getting bombarded by PM's daily that would be kinda obnoxious.... one could just move that game attracting interest into the previously owned column.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Huh... nobody's ever PM'd me asking if I want to sell any of my games... my collection must suck

PM sent..one for each of the 3 i want!

#83 2 years ago

Hey, what pins you got?

Went ahead and changed my collection setting to "friends" so you don't have to feel upset about what I am sharing or not.

Wanna be my friend? Won't get you any more info than you already saw

#84 2 years ago

Ohh. And I keep all my diamonds and rubies in the Tomy one fyi (for easy transport)

#85 2 years ago

For those that dont like to share collection...
    This is pinside, its what we do. Share...its ok, we dont want to drive long distances and steal machine's.
    I have plenty of camera's and door alarms. ADT is a great service with handy app to monitor when im gone. Insurance is my real comfort margin. If someone goes to all the effort to break in and steal machine's. Ill just get more and some NIB, upgrade collection!
    On another note, not going to buy from secretive pinsiders that dont share collection and location. It can say a lot on who to trust.
    Lastly, who says you have to post your "whole" collection..good friend only lists about half, keeping all the modern DMD and NIB private, only lists his system 11s and Ems. He has a lot of pins.
    I do the same. Not going to add King Kong, BBB or world cup 94 in collection soon. Just dont want the whole world to know i have them.

Sorry some of us are not doing it right

#86 2 years ago

Hey turn that frown upside down. It's not that it's right or wrong just a different way some look at things it's ok. We don't have to know where you live or what you have. I personally like to see different mixes of games, but that's me.

#87 2 years ago

I've met some cool people because I saw that they lived near me.

We get together occasionally and play pinball.

No problem !

E

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Pins are heavy and hard to conceal when moving, so I don't think this would be possible in my neighborhood anyways. Thieves are lazy and usually looking for something they can grab and go out the back with. If a 52' truck and trailer pulled up in front of my house I would hope someone would notice as well as kicking a door in or breaking a window. And good luck getting it done in time with my alarm always set before the cops arrived. If they could move even one pin that fast then they should start a pin moving company and stop being so lazy. If I'm home then there is even less of a chance. And if I'm at work and they get my wife then they are going to be sorry for sure because that beautiful woman can handle her own. And for some reason they do succeed then there is my insurance to help. Life is too short to live in fear. Now tell us where you live and what games you have.

You guys have to think outside the box--thieves look for certain items as markers of wealth. Even the stupid ones do this intuitively. You're dreaming if you don't think the thought process is something like "Damn, this guy has 8 pinball machines, he must have some other cool crap. Jewelerly to keep his wife happy, guns, maybe some other cool crap. And hey, he's going to be in Allentown next week. Sweet."

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

For those that are worried about catching a potential criminal's attention due to giving away certain information, I actually have spoke to a friend in law enforcement about this very thing. Not saying it can never happen, but he said they have had exactly zero instances in his 20+ years involving a home invasion with the intent to steal items due to someone posting on an online forum.
    There have been multiple occasions that someone's house was broken into that have a pinball machine. He has only seen them stolen when they're in an easy access area to the outside. Garage, shop with a garage door, room with double doors leading outside. Otherwise it's not an easy target and they're left alone in favor of all other electronics.

I've been threatened on-line because of what I own (just out of jealousy, I'm guessing), I've had people make shocking threats to burglarize me, etc. I was pretty rational about it and realized it was probably someone unhinged, but that made it somewhat scarier. This was related largely to another hobby, but the pins simply fanned the flames of jealousy. The worst part is, I don't think my collection is that great. it was ridiculous, and forced me to go through and ask site owners to delete articles I had written, posts I had made, changed usernames on forums, had articles on my collection deleted, etc. It sucked.

#90 2 years ago

It doesn't bother me to list my closest city or lineup on here....part of the fun, as I've met, interacted with many that were passing through, curious about local things to do, etc. Also get random pm's from other pinsiders with game questions, thoughts, etc.

I don't keep up w the " how much did you pay, change the batteries, etc." stuff on a public forum, mainly because I forget, and don't talk cash much ( about anything).

No sense of being paranoid about identity or theft either, nowadays. Thinking someone can't find you if they wanted to is just a joke w current technology far beyond Pinside. And trying to steal a machine would be the least of someone's concerns if they trespassed on my property.....

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

You guys have to think outside the box--thieves look for certain items as markers of wealth. Even the stupid ones do this intuitively. You're dreaming if you don't think the thought process is something like "Damn, this guy has 8 pinball machines, he must have some other cool crap. Jewelerly to keep his wife happy, guns, maybe some other cool crap. And hey, he's going to be in Allentown next week. Sweet."

True...but the reality is these machines are actually worth the most to us, not the general public ( just ask your insurance agent or CPA)....I bring up my machines and they just laugh...

But you're right, most thieves are stupid....maybe they think if I'm at expo, my house is vacant, no alarm, no one watching it, and gold on the porch. Common sense never seems to come into play until they get caught or worse.

A more realistic threat from online stuff is predators ( Young kids posting to the world they'll be at " xyz" mall at a certain time, along with a million selfies). THAT is proven dangerous....

#92 2 years ago

I agree about the pins getting attention thing for sure. I don't have open windows showing the world I usually answer my door with my hand gun and walk out and not stand in my doorway with the door open to show the world what I have. I do my best to hide the contents of my home to anyone. But if someone gets a glimpse then logs on to pinside then waits a year to be able to find my profile and see what I have on this site. If they go through all that then I should probably help them out when they come to steal them because they deserve it. It would be very sad to think some crime mob is on here checking and plotting their next heist. But some people have been harassed and that sucks, so anything is possible I guess. I would like to think pinside is a safe place to share my collection, pics of my collection, and location city.

#93 2 years ago

Warning to all with games in your garages as well to anyone who doesn't dead bolt your door from your home to your garage. Thieves can program a remote when you open and close your garage they can also take wire and go through the top and pull the release cord on your opener. So zip tie up that red rope to prevent this.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

True...but the reality is these machines are actually worth the most to us, not the general public ( just ask your insurance agent or CPA)....I bring up my machines and they just laugh...

Yep... the average person things these things are worth less than an HDTV... To a thief they are worth far less because an HDTV is easier to take and flip. The average guess I get from the few normal people that know I have games is a few hundred each. When my gardners assistant (clearly a meth head) was asking how much I wanted for a game (it was only 300 at the time) he looked at me like I was crazy to ask that much. When I talked to homowners they value pinball games at 500 each (since got seperate collectors insurance).

So to 99.9% of thieves out there these things are neither valuable nor an indicator of wealth. But if it helps people sleep better at night to keep the fact that they collect to themselves thats fine too.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

I wish there was a way to build a kegerator inside a pin so everyone quits drinking all my beer on game nights.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Warning to all with games in your garages as well to anyone who doesn't dead bolt your door from your home to your garage. Thieves can program a remote when you open and close your garage they can also take wire and go through the top and pull the release cord on your opener. So zip tie up that red rope to prevent this.

Another great option is the side mounted opener. I was surprised at how much roomier my garage felt too without that opener hanging down in the middle with its track.

Also it has a solonoid locking pin at the bottom of the door that fires in upon closing.

#97 2 years ago

Here is another safety tip. Run 4" screws in your door frame for your dead bolts almost impossible to kick in door when done. Put sticks in windows and sliding doors. The average thief will move on to an easier home. But if it's the crime ring here on pinside checking games and locations then it may or may not deter them. The world is dangerous pinside shouldn't, but you never know. I respect whatever a persons choice is there is no right or wrong answer on this.

#98 2 years ago

That sounds bad ass merccat. I think I have garage door opener envy. Visalia was so nice when I lived there 10 years ago. I hope it has not changed that much.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

That sounds bad ass merccat. I think I have garage door opener envy. Visalia was so nice when I lived there 10 years ago. I hope it has not changed that much.

LOL! Its still a bueatiful town with a rocking downtown. Still too hot in the summer though but the mountains are an hour away or three for the beach. Unfortunately there has been a big homeless surge over the last year or two though but I think thats all over California.

Hit me up if you ever get back over this way.

Oh this is the opener... a couple years ago we had to replace our old rotting door and it wasn't much more to have this opener added with the install.

LiftMaster 8500 Elite Series 8500 Lift Master 8500 Jackshaft Operator-Factory Direct amazon.com link »

#100 2 years ago

I'm afraid if something were to get targeted at your home....the car(s) in the driveway is ( are) far and away the easiest and most valuable asset to grab.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 339.00
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 3.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 395.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 218.00
    There are 137 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside