6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by SealClubber
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I always find it amusing to nose around in people’s games lists, and especially in their sold list, and find that one highly rated game they had that for whatever reason this particular person clearly didn’t like.

In most cases, you can see a usual and clear transition from starter games to more expensive and coveted machines (for the most part). I’m not a A-list only guy by any means, but you know what I’m getting at. But there is always that one game, that given the person’s collection, it is odd to see they sold it, and it’s usually because it wasn’t for them.

For me, my oddball has to be CFTBL. I had a flawless one, and just could not like anything about the play at all.

#2 6 years ago

AFM and TZ. #2 and #3 in the top 100. Both not my cup of tea. Well TZ was cool at first, but the honeymoon only lasted a month. AFM much less than that. I enjoy my B-listers like FT and DW much more and I don't have to have so much money tied up into one machine.

#3 6 years ago

Mine was FT and TZ. I just couldn't get into them.

#4 6 years ago

My left one....

#5 6 years ago

Bought then immediately sold TOTAN. Went out and bought a Congo, then a TMNT. Picking up a JP in 2 weeks. I sold TOTAN for more than the other 3 will cost me combined (and I am having more fun).

#6 6 years ago

TAF, suckered into the hype after only remembering playing it back in the day. got bored fast.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spudgunman:

TAF, suckered into the hype after only remembering playing it back in the day. got bored fast.

Eh yeah same here. Was pretty pumped to get mine. Played it for a couple days and was really bummed with how bored I got.

#8 6 years ago

TSPP. Too much stop & go when game times can be in the 45 minute range. Yawn…

#9 6 years ago

My least favorite is Whirlwind but the fan is refreshing in the summer.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

My left one....

ha! nice one..

-jon

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

My left one....

You beat me to it.

#12 6 years ago

TZ. Never got the draw, never will.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phetishboy:

Bought then immediately sold TOTAN. Went out and bought a Congo, then a TMNT. Picking up a JP in 2 weeks. I sold TOTAN for more than the other 3 will cost me combined (and I am having more fun).

What the hell, you're over here too now? God, the world is at an end.

PS. Move your Congo action figures ya lazy....

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

My left one....

No, my 3rd one.

#15 6 years ago

voltaire was one of those "top tier" games that i just hated. the theme was grating after like a couple weeks!

#16 6 years ago

none of those games are Oddballs. Most Bally williams games cannot be oddballs, because everyone has them. My oddballs are

Miss world
    Orbitor 1
    Robot
    Farfalla
    Time Machine (zaccaria)
    Swords of fury (maybe oddball, not seen very often)

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

none of those games are Oddballs. Most Bally williams games cannot be oddballs, because everyone has them. My oddballs are
    Miss World
    Orbitor 1
    Robot
    Farfalla
    Time Machine (zaccaria)
    Swords of Fury (maybe oddball, not seen very often)

You missed the definition of oddball for this thread...He's after games that are popular to everyone else, but you didn't get and hence got rid of.

#18 6 years ago

gotcha. Read it to fast the first time.

fine....for me it was

MM. Lasted 3 months, wasn't even close to being worth the money..out the door it went.

#19 6 years ago

Cyclone, Despised that POS

#20 6 years ago

ToM. Liked it at shows, loved it after I got to play it at a friend's house, found a really nice example, brought it home and suddenly it lost its luster. It was gone soon after.

#21 6 years ago

TAF. It will be on Clist on Monday.

#22 6 years ago

TOM was another one for me. Looks great. Snoozer to play.

#23 6 years ago

LOTR for me....I've never owned it, but have played it plenty on location. Just doesn't do it for me for some reason, and I liked the movies. But I'd still give it a chance in my collection.

#24 6 years ago

My oddball is: indiana jones (williams)

I have owned it for about 9 months but sold it because i never really liked it. The game simply does nothing for me. Replaced it with the addams family and like that game soort much more

#25 6 years ago

Spiderman... I just couldn't get into it.

#26 6 years ago

Its the same old story, but for me it was Medieval Madness. Just wasn't enough bang for the buck. Good game, just not a great game for the money.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

My left one....

Ha, mines the right one.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

But there is always that one game, that given the person’s collection, it is odd to see they sold it, and it’s usually because it wasn’t for them.

I'm not much into selling games once I get them, but I'm definitely different in my game taste because I honestly don't like most of the A listers. I have had ample opportunities to get most of them for outstanding prices, but I have zero interest in owning TAF, TZ, TOM, TOTAN, IJ (and I *LOVE* the them, just hate the game), LOTR, TSPP, MB, Scared Stiff, FH, GNR, FT, NGG, or POTC.

I've had ample time on all of these machines, and while they are nice to play, I just haven't really cared for them enough to ever seek them out. I got a TZ once, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Instead, I really like the usual "B/C" candidates like JP, VND, RFM, NBAFB, JD, DM, SMBMW, SF2, etc.

Yup, you read that right. I kept SF2 over TZ and would do it again in a heartbeat.

That's what makes this hobby great though - it's different tastes for different people! For the record, I do really like MM, but I've never liked it more than four or five of the above pins that I really like, so I've always ended up opting for the four or five instead of the one MM.

#29 6 years ago

I have never owned it, but not into TAF. I want to like it. Also, I find Whitewater a little disappointing. I will play both more when I see them. So many of you can't be wrong!

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Yup, you read that right. I kept SF2 over TZ and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm with you on SF2. Second pin I ever played, second pin I ever bought. It doesn't trump the present games I have but I really enjoy it when it is shopped out good. I don't have one now but would if I had the room.

#32 6 years ago

MM: I never owned one, nor will I because it's seriously over-priced for one in good shape and I don't think it should be #1 on the Pinside 100. I do like the callouts, but I kind of wish that MM was a Monty Python pin instead.

(Let the MM fanboys complain in 3,2,1....)

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

I don't have one now but would if I had the room.

I really think it works in a collection... if you have at least 8 or so other machines. It's *extremely* different than the "normal" pinball machines, and I think that is where the distaste for it comes from. Which is fair. If I only had one game, I don't think it would ever be a SF2.

#34 6 years ago

Hey,

I would lump two into this category. I had an exceptionally nice Black Knight for a few months. I recall only one night where I played it and was really into it. Other than that, it was just fast. Not much else.

I also had a Whitewater that I bought in February. I had been trying to wrangle that game from a guy for about a year and a half, and he finally sold it to me for what at the time seemed somewhat high, but right now seems like a song. Regardless, i wanted the game, so I bought it.

It was okay, but I can't fathom why it commands the price it does. The gaping hole in the rules where you have to shoot the same shot twenty five times to advance the bonus multiplier in order to get the Vacation Jackpot just isn't that fun. If you're going to spend $3,500 on a game, there is a list of games as long as my arm you can get that are miles beyond it.

Luke

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

TAF. It will be on Clist on Monday.

Do you have room to bring it next month? I may be interested....

#36 6 years ago

Maybe. If I can borrow my buddy's trailer, then yes. Otherwise, I will only be bringing one pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 125.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 219.99
    $ 18.95
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    £ 58.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside