Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mtn-
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7798 b (resized).jpg
    Noble-Pig-Low-Country-Shrimp-Boil-OXO-Shrimp-Down (resized).jpg
    9233507 (resized).jpg
    324555 (resized).jpg
    C9302412-BE4F-46D7-B171-C8037719FE1A (resized).jpeg
    14c49ff03350240795db454539eb839e--steamed-crabs-frederick-maryland.jpg.cf (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I just found out the other day that a “buck and doe” is Canadian tradition, But only here in Ontario and neighboring Manitoba. This is an engagement party organized By the wedding party as a fundraiser to help the young couple pay for the wedding and honeymoon. Usually there’s games and draws, as well as liquor sales depending on the location.

Some popular games are gold fish insurance, Pay $2 or else if your ticket is drawn for the “prize” You eat a fish. Everyone pays, I think I’ve seen one fish eaten. Also Texas mickey twoonie toss. Place a big bottle of liquor at one edge of the dance floor. People line up to toss a $2 coin at the bottle (shuffleboard style) closest to the bottle takes it home. As well as games that fit the bride and grooms hobbies. Like shoot a hockey puck or golf ball into a small hole. Even fastest lap on mariokart64; pay a couple buck for a try. Winner leaves with the nes64 and game. There’s usually donated raffle prizes too.

It’s such a help to the bride and groom, I was surprised it wasn’t common in more places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stag_and_doe

#2 3 years ago

I found out a could years ago in Mexico there’s a tradition of smashing fireworks with sledgehammers. What’s your local traditions?

#3 3 years ago

I eat rotten & fermented fish once or twice a year.

In Sweden surströmming, and in Norway I eat rakfisk.

I prefer the rakfisk, its made of trout or salmon.
    Its really good with red onions and sourcreme in a soft tortilla.. Mmm. Soon autumn and rakfisk

#4 3 years ago

We have a weird local tradition called "conjugating irregular verbs."

Example, if a sentence's subject is singular, we say "is" but if it's plural we say "are."

And then only one of those will work in a contraction! It's crazy!

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Lutefisk? My wife is of Norwegian ancestry, I had to be subjected to lutefisk (once, just once). Also, we occasionally have a family wide gathering to make Fishballs

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

We have a weird local tradition called "conjugating irregular verbs."

Ya, you betcha. Cripes, yesterday I was going to come by, but I got stuck at the stop n' go light down by the tavern, and decided to just go up Nort instead.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Lutefisk? My wife is of Norwegian ancestry, I had to be subjected to lutefisk (once, just once). Also, we occasionally have a family wide gathering to make Fishballs

Not lutefisk. Lutefisk is nasty stuff, made by treating cod meat with sodium hydroxide.

1 week later
    #8 3 years ago

Steamed crabs, old bay and Natty Boh.

14c49ff03350240795db454539eb839e--steamed-crabs-frederick-maryland.jpg.cf (resized).jpg14c49ff03350240795db454539eb839e--steamed-crabs-frederick-maryland.jpg.cf (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago
    C9302412-BE4F-46D7-B171-C8037719FE1A (resized).jpegC9302412-BE4F-46D7-B171-C8037719FE1A (resized).jpeg
    #10 3 years ago

If you see a Haint near your property you are going to have loss. Break in, fire, some type of tragedy.
    A Haig nearby? Watch out close for your childrens well being.
    Black Coach White Horse? Loss of someone near, usually witnessed at early morning before sunrise.
    Two Crows over the starboard bow taking your boat out equals a good day of fishing. One Crow? Go back in.

#11 3 years ago

Eating the animals on our Federal Coat of Arms.

324555 (resized).jpg324555 (resized).jpg9233507 (resized).jpg9233507 (resized).jpg
    #12 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

If you see a Haint near your property you are going to have loss. Break in, fire, some type of tragedy.
    A Haig nearby? Watch out close for your childrens well being.
    Black Coach White Horse? Loss of someone near, usually witnessed at early morning before sunrise.
    Two Crows over the starboard bow taking your boat out equals a good day of fishing. One Crow? Go back in.

I had never seen the word haint before. Interesting.

Haint is an old southern word for a specific type of ghost or evil spirit from the Carolina coast, but found in tales from various regions of the south. Belief in haints probably originated with the Gulla Geechee people, descendants of African slaves in the Carolina low country and barrier islands.

#13 3 years ago

Dunno I'd call it a tradition. But we have a lotta "things" here in WNY. One of the main ones - wings should be eaten with blue cheese. Not ranch. Literally fighting words if you say they're better with ranch. Also - they're wings. Not Buffalo wings. We know we invented em.

#14 3 years ago

Our local tradition was being a local. People identified with the many different beaches in town and you would be labeled by the beach or break. I liked the pier rats instead of the beach I grew up near, T street. So I was a pier rat. A guy from T street (600 yards away) would come surf the pier and you would hear, "what's the kook from t street doing surfing "our" waves. I always thought that was funny because I didn't surf and knew all those guys too. And of course all local surfers hated on anyone from out of town. It got serious a few times at Trestles which has world class waves, and sometimes world class idiots. Pretty much like right out of the Animal Kingdom show, as they film some surf sequences near Trestles. I probably got along with surfers from all beaches because I didn't surf, but always had pot.

#15 3 years ago

A very Swedish tradition is pea soup and pancakes on Thursdays. This comes from that when your doing your military service, that was what you got on Thursdays.

I love pea soup.

#16 3 years ago

Low country boil - Shrimp, potatoes, sausage, and corn.

Noble-Pig-Low-Country-Shrimp-Boil-OXO-Shrimp-Down (resized).jpgNoble-Pig-Low-Country-Shrimp-Boil-OXO-Shrimp-Down (resized).jpg

This was the Super Bowl party at my local bar in February. Seems like 'risky behavior' now.

IMG_7798 b (resized).jpgIMG_7798 b (resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

pea soup and pancakes on Thursdays

Doesn’t have the same rhyme as Taco Tuesday, but it’s hard to say bad things about pancakes. Do you top the pancakes with soup, like we do with maple syrup? Or is the soup in a bowl on the side?

I like my pancakes stacked with peanut butter between them and drizzled with pure maple syrup, none of that imitation stuff in my house.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Doesn’t have the same rhyme as Taco Tuesday, but it’s hard to say bad things about pancakes. Do you top the pancakes with soup, like we do with maple syrup? Or is the soup in a bowl on the side?
    I like my pancakes stacked with peanut butter between them and drizzled with pure maple syrup, none of that imitation stuff in my house.

Pancakes are eaten after the pea soup, as a dessert sort of. Im not much of a pancake eater, but I love myself a large bowl of steaming hot pea soup with lots of pork meat and strong/sweet mustard.

Funny, in Norway its taco fridays.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

In Sweden surströmming, and in Norway I eat rakfisk.
    I prefer the rakfisk, its made of trout or salmon.
    Its really good with red onions and sourcreme in a soft tortilla.. Mmm. Soon autumn and rakfisk

If you can make it through a 4 minute video of Americans trying surströmming and not laugh...

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you can make it through a 4 minute video of Americans trying surströmming and not laugh...

Yeah, but had they been a few years more fully grown and eaten it like its supposed to be eaten..

That is, in a soft white tortilla(ish) bread with freshly boiled small springpotatoes, fine chopped onions and sour creme..

The factory, Röda Ulven, that made the box they are eating from was walking distance from where I grew up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-local-traditions?hl=crazypinballguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.