New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 268022)

What’s your grail pin?

By cantbfrank

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 days ago by stashyboy
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 58 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9087 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9015 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7849 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7098 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5447 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4943 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3762 (resized).jpeg
89E3C7CE-0002-4F32-90E5-9F4BB22D8D1D (resized).jpeg
DE561919-244A-45D2-ACBF-FDE557FB9A1F (resized).jpeg
6350A204-35B6-45DC-BE7E-CEE2C6F774AB (resized).jpeg
8E66C287-94E3-4D6F-84C9-CC12B1F6143C (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200518-094042 (resized).png
ED395F93-A3E6-4F61-8046-53C53FB13CF0 (resized).jpeg
71099D4B-5501-45B7-AA99-15F7A3DF6801 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6686 (resized).jpg
IMG_8770 (resized).jpg

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

If she's over 40, you don't really need to bother. Or let's say I already get the picture.

Lots of pretty women in Canada. 40+ too.

#102 4 months ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Lots of pretty women in Canada. 40+ too.

I can believe that.

I live in the land where women move to to age fast, it seems. I learned long ago you gotta get them when they first arrive, or import them yourself.

#103 4 months ago

Well while we've completely detracted this thread to just saying rank things about women, lets get things back on track: who's going to sell me their Canada Dry.

#104 4 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

just saying rank things about women

I do apologize, but I can only imagine some of the things they have said about me.

Carry on...

#105 4 months ago

I’m not really an EM guy but this is my EM grail. It was my very first pin that started me on this journey. Took me 7 years to find one again and just got it 3 weeks ago!

8D376FC0-2B17-4969-B600-80EC1A178975 (resized).jpeg
#106 4 months ago

i saw this post in the first few days and was going to post to it . i know once one acquires a grail pin they seem to get a new one in mind. Im a big fan of williams games and have about a dozen ok maybe one or two more. spaceship, el toro ,skill pool , 2 ten spots,beat the clock , riverboat 4 roses 8 ball moulin rouge. i also have 3 styling of the 60s cabs one empty , one jungle and a hollywood i picked up recently . so the day i saw this post i was going to mention reserve. a friend has one and i just missed out on one last year at an auction that went too high for its condition . Anyways the day i saw this thread , i found and bought this. a reserve. it still needs to be picked up prbably in a week and a half . So now what is my grail pin? i have an empty styling of the 60s cab , and an extra ten spot so im going to make finsihing the prototype 10 spot as my grail pin . its not about finding it , its about getting it done

image7 (003) (resized).jpegimage8 (003) (resized).jpegimage9 (003) (resized).jpeg
#107 4 months ago

i dont want to jinx things by citing now another grail pin but lets say if a trade winds falls on my lap , i might be open to dipping into the pinball fund

#108 4 months ago

I thought of another I'd loooove to own, if I could find one - Gottlieb "Space Walk". I think they only made about 200 or so EM's. It's fun to dream....

#109 4 months ago
Quoted from paulace:

I thought of another I'd loooove to own, if I could find one - Gottlieb "Space Walk". I think they only made about 200 or so EM's. It's fun to dream....

Best of luck my man.
Get in line lol

#110 4 months ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

Show off some more Pyramid pics

I bought the one that went up for sale today. I bought my current grail. YAY!

#111 4 months ago
Quoted from paulace:

GLWT !

#112 4 months ago

Gottlieb Royal Flush. Have wanted one for years and even though many were made, I have never seen a nice one for sale since it's such a fun machine. The search continues...

Before that it was Gottlieb Big Hit. Owned one for a while and enjoyed it very much.

#113 4 months ago

I've always thought it would be fun to find a King's and Queens project pin to restore for my dad. He played it a ton in college and that's what got him hooked on pinball. He is the one who introduced me to it and it would be so fun to restore one and give it to him. Of course he had to fall in love with a desirable and hard to find game.

#114 4 months ago

after reading this thread, a question came to my mind. why is "that" game you Grail? i see some list games for sentimental reasons, (mine is 4 Square) some list games that are great players
(mine is Atlantis), an some list games with great art work ( mine is Canada Dry) the one that puzzled me are the ones that list games that most never played. most of these games are rare with a very high price tag. i am not saying they can not have a grail game for these reasons but i fail to understand the reasoning. just an observation i made while reading this thread.

#115 4 months ago

Honestly, I think most games I consider my "grail games" are games that combine rarity with a cool art package. Not an EM, but Gottlieb's Spirit is another game that is on my grail list. Never played it. Doesn't look like that good playing of a game. But holy hell if it isn't rare and have the coolest art package of all time. There are a lot of games that are high on my want list (King of Diamonds, Atlantis, Abra Ca Dabra) but I feel like "grail games" needs an added rarity.

#116 4 months ago

Any late EM Gottlieb love the art , bally skyrocket and fireball and for williams heatwave and Jungle love the animated backglass and cabinet on the jungle.

#117 4 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

but I feel like "grail games" needs an added rarity

that is a good answer to my question...

#118 4 months ago

Mine is IJ, but if we're talking EMs, then it's anything vic_camp owns.

#119 4 months ago
Quoted from boilerman:

after reading this thread, a question came to my mind. why is "that" game you Grail? i see some list games for sentimental reasons

Mine was because it was the first pinball machine I ever bought as a teenager for $30, a woodrail, that I couldn't keep. I was happy to get the two examples I own for that reason. It took me 40 years to find them.

#120 4 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Mine is IJ, but if we're talking EMs, then it's anything vic_camp owns.

Vic and/or Vic’s friend and mine, Nick Raschilla. Their games are pretty darn stellar.

#121 4 months ago

Mine is my HUO GnR originally gifted to Duff’s guitar tech. He was also the guy that would introduce the band.

#122 4 months ago

Olympic Hockey

If anyone has one for sale near me in nice condition, I would gladly pay a more than fair price.

#123 4 months ago

My grail pins would be Close Encounters of the Third Kind EM version, Solar Ride EM version, and Space Walk. All are rare games with fantastic art, drop targets, or a roto target.

An all original condition Kings & Queens is at the top of my list though

#124 4 months ago
Quoted from Gunner:

Mine is my HUO GnR originally gifted to Duff’s guitar tech. He was also the guy that would introduce the band.

That is fucking cool.

#125 4 months ago

My Grail pin was 1954 Gottlieb, Hawaiian Beauty. Played it at a friends house and had to have one... I had wanted one for a couple years, then one day I see two for sale on Craigslist the same day different sellers. I had to put some work on it, but its in great shape and if the pops between the flippers are tuned properly it's a blast to play. Very simple layout, but Crazy amount of ways to get replays, although rare to get. 1- by achieving the set score, first is at 5.3mil... 2- By getting enough points when the green pops are lit (each lit from the left, center, right drains) each lit pop scores 2 points, first at replay at 76. On the right side of the backglass you can see the current points score of 64. 3- by clearing the 1-5 static pops 2 times to light a gobble hole for special. 4- by clearing the 1-5 banks 3 times will alternately light the special when lit from side to side above the flippers. 5- draining in the right gobble hole will light special on the right out lane path below the flipper. and the left gobble will light the left out lane. 6- And after the 1-5 pops are cleared 3 times, each additional clearing will award a special. The specials will not reset after collecting or loss of ball. And this game has a deal if you add an additional credit at the start of a game. The white light on the apron will light and award 2 credits for every replay won, I'm guessing you could trade in replays for money or beers back in the day. Someday, if your nearby come over and give it a play.

IMG_8772 (resized).jpgIMG_8770 (resized).jpg
#126 4 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Honestly, I think most games I consider my "grail games" are games that combine rarity with a cool art package. Not an EM, but Gottlieb's Spirit is another game that is on my grail list. Never played it. Doesn't look like that good playing of a game. But holy hell if it isn't rare and have the coolest art package of all time. There are a lot of games that are high on my want list (King of Diamonds, Atlantis, Abra Ca Dabra) but I feel like "grail games" needs an added rarity.

I have collected many things. In fact, my wife says i "collect collections." I can tell you that the mystique of the rare is very appealing to some in any collectible. Just saying that they owned it and can show it off is important to them. Some people have the have the rarest, the best, etc. People love attaching themselves to the 'unobtainable.'

Having said that, i feel that a grail should be something you love, but not easily attainable. Rare isnt a concern of mine, but if it were not difficult to get...i would already have it.

My grail pin is The Big Lebowski. I have played it quite a few times and it is amazing. It is also rare and quite expensive...to the point of which i will likely never own one.

Since we are in the EM hangout, I would say that my EM grail is a gottlieb knockout. Also a very good game, but quite tough to find...especially in any decent kind of condition.

#127 4 months ago

boilerman
I've mentioned 3 grail pins - Strange World, Gemini and Space Walk. I've recently restored and played a Strange World and really enjoyed the way it plays and LOVE the art package! - hated to give it back. The other 2 I've never even seen, much less played, but there are some pretty good VisualPinballX versions of those, and I love the layout and the way they play. I always enjoy the real thing much more than the virtual versions, so I'm pretty sure I'd love the actual machines....if I could find and afford them. But the rarity does increase the appeal, so it's a combination of those things for me.

#128 4 months ago
Quoted from paulace:

Dreams can come true!

IMG_6686 (resized).jpg
#129 4 months ago

My grail pin is my CV proto. One of the 18 ever produced (the last). A piece of art.
71099D4B-5501-45B7-AA99-15F7A3DF6801 (resized).jpeg

ED395F93-A3E6-4F61-8046-53C53FB13CF0 (resized).jpeg
#131 4 months ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

My grail pin is my CV proto. One of the 18 ever produced (the last). A piece of art.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Seems like there are a lot of differences and this one is even better looking. Congrats.

My personal grail pin is the Gemini. I would love to own one one day.

#132 4 months ago

tyamry

Niiiiice! That Space Walk looks to be in really good shape - did you restore it?

#133 4 months ago

F-2NIRO (Franck) did the playfield and pinhead52 (Ken) did the rest. They both did a beautiful job!

#134 4 months ago

tyamry
Yeah, no kidding....looks beautiful. I'm trying hard not to hate you. (Just kidding...sort of)

#135 4 months ago

I like this thread! I get vicarious enjoyment hearing when the long-sought games are finally found. Way cool.

Someone asked if one grail was found, did a new grail happen. I seem to overlap grails. Here some of my long-time searches.

Two of the first games I ever played (1970) were Gottlieb 1965 Sky Line and Bally 1968 RockMakers. When they rotated out of the location, I never saw them again and boy did I want those games. Finally saw Sky Line at Expo '86 being sold by Donal Murphy and I bought it. He of course replaced all the coils plus bumped up the transformer and the game still plays lightning fast to this day. So, that was 16 years.

I bought the book Pinball Portfolio in the late 70s and saw a picture of some Bally game called Balls-A-Poppin and decided I wanted one, had never seen or played one, but it took until 1991 to encounter one, and I traded for it. Before internet, I used to cold-call people I found in the want ads in the magazines, introducing myself and swapping pinball info. Seems weird to say, but 1991 being pre-internet, both the seller and I didn't really know about the game, there was not even cachet established about it, as far as we knew. I mean, imagine today looking at, say, a Williams' 1956 Hot Diggity and you might think, ok, so what. That's how we looked at BAP. It was my first trade. Maybe 12-13 years searching for that one.

I finally found a RockMakers in 2002. So, that's 32 years. Gee, that sounds like I wasn't trying hard enough there.

I played Williams 1960 Jungle at one of The Pinball Shows in Phoenix (1992). Decided it was the best of the "Styling of the 60's" games and searched hard for one, no luck. It took until 2004 when I saw one on ebay and that had all the backbox animals. This was before ebay hid the bidders names and I saw that I was going up against a bidder whose username I recognized as deep pockets who always won the auctions. I programmed a max bid with a gulp. All that bidder had to do was bid one more time and he would have got the game. But... he stopped a few bucks below my max price. I couldn't believe it. So, that one was about 10 years.

My last grail has been Bally 1968 Dogies. I've seen plenty of them but I'm stubbornly holding out for a very good example. A "Cherry Dogies" as I told Brian Saunders. Yeah, I know, good luck with that. I saw a Cherry Dogies at Expo a number of years back but someone had done one of those surgical and expert modifications to the playfield layout, too much to reverse, and you wouldn't know unless it was pointed out to you and then you'd say, "Wow, why did they do that?" But I noticed and let it pass me by. Maybe that's why the playfield was in such fine shape, if they restored it to make their surgery look as good as factory. I've always wondered if the buyer saw the mod before buying or was later disappointed. I saw somewhere his photos of the game within a few months of that show but he mentioned nothing about the mod.

So, that's been my grail, such that it is. Cherry Dogies. If I never get one, no problem, as my grail days are winding down anyway.

Hope to read more stories here!

#136 4 months ago

I quite enjoyed reading your story Jay. Thanks for typing it up. You struck a chord with me when telling us about your early 90’s “cold calling” as I used to do much the same thing way back then. I’d call people with for sale ads in the paper, go and visit them, take several photos (film camera) and tell them all about their pin, then most of the time I wouldn’t buy it for some reason or another. EM’s were only around 150 bucks or so back then. Several times I actually did most of the talking to another buyer who showed up and sold it for them. For free of course. All good memories from back in those days. I remember knocking back a C37 and a Hit the Deck amongst others. Plus my biggest blunder, a mint condition Cross Town for 150 bucks. Sigh.
So thanks for your story Jay. Cheers!

#137 4 months ago

Lets see...I have owned a vast majority of my grails. There is only three maybe 4 machines I miss.

1. 1947 Gottlieb Buccaneer. Such and awesome and fun woodrail. I could play game after game after game of this. I absolutely miss owning this game the most.
2. 1952 Gottlieb Queen of Hearts. Such a fantastic game. Great theme artwork and gameplay.
3. 1967 Gottlieb Surf Side. Best two player Gottlieb ever.
4. 1972 Bally Fireball. Mine looked like it came out of the box and I won the Texas Pinball Festival grand prize with it. I only sold it because I was offered a ton of cash after repeatedly turning down offers.

I wish I had a 1950 Gottlieb Knockout. But I am currently not in the market to own any pinballs right now because I simply have no place to put them due to my divorce a few years back. I figure a few years from now I will have another pinball collection.

EDIT: Honorable mention...I miss the 1963 Gottlieb Slick Chick I owned as well.

#138 4 months ago

1956 Gottlieb Auto Race

Still looking!

#139 4 months ago

Hey Rat - you mean this? Might be a bit of a drive for you...

Screenshot_20200518-094042 (resized).png
3 weeks later
#140 3 months ago

GIGI..One of these days I will find it...buy it...love it

#141 3 months ago
Quoted from Fourtress:

Hey Rat - you mean this? Might be a bit of a drive for you...
[quoted image]

The shipping and importing would practically double the price.

1 month later
#142 46 days ago

Its back. After spending some time with stashyboy for restore, Gemini was picked up this past weekend. Stashyboy, as usual, did a fantastic job. I could not have been happier. I'll add some playfield pictures tonight.

IMG_9015 (resized).jpegIMG_9087 (resized).jpegIMG_5447 (resized).jpegIMG_7098 (resized).jpegIMG_7849 (resized).jpegIMG_4943 (resized).jpegIMG_3762 (resized).jpeg89E3C7CE-0002-4F32-90E5-9F4BB22D8D1D (resized).jpegDE561919-244A-45D2-ACBF-FDE557FB9A1F (resized).jpeg6350A204-35B6-45DC-BE7E-CEE2C6F774AB (resized).jpeg8E66C287-94E3-4D6F-84C9-CC12B1F6143C (resized).jpeg
#143 42 days ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Its back. After spending some time with stashyboy for restore, Gemini was picked up this past weekend. Stashyboy, as usual, did a fantastic job. I could not have been happier. I'll add some playfield pictures tonight.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool looking game. What got restored? That cabinet looks original?

#144 40 days ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Cool looking game. What got restored? That cabinet looks original?

That's the idea. Not over restored, keep it original looking.
Lots of subtle things, minor touch ups to the cabinet. Regrained all the stainless parts. The major piece was the playfield. Had plaking and paint loss that needed to be addressed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
$ 7.00
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
Cabinet Parts
PinBoltCaps
$ 259.99
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Maple Street Sign Shop
€ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9,099.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
£ 32.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside