Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Zennmaster
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zennmaster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 3 years ago

Some good suggestions here.

I would add to start with a game that works. It's way too easy to let a basket case sit in the corner, assuming that "someday" you'll get to it.

When you've got something that works, two things happen:

1) You and your family/roommates/cohabitor(s)/whatever will get used to the reallity of a pin in the house. This is a big deal. If the novelty wears off after a few weeks, you can sell it and move on. Otherwise, you've gotten everyone else invested in the concept, or at least understanding it.

2) When (not if) something stops working, you're not wandering in the dark. In my experience, it's a whole lot easier to learn a little bit at a time, and solve problems as they come up, rather than making an educated guess as to what needs to be done, and which tasks to do in what order. That can be pretty intimidating when you're looking at one or more plywood boxes full of weird parts. You may not even have all the pieces you need, and how would you even know?

I think I lucked into doing it just right: I got a smoking deal on an EM with a theme I really like, and took it to a local repair guy who did a great job of getting it working. Over the next couple of years, I learned all kinds of things about coils, switches, relays, fuse holders, etc. I didn't have to do it all at once before I even got to figure out if a pin was truly going to fit into my life. If I had it to do over again, I'd do it just like I did.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zennmaster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside