• Latest reply 9 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I really love shadow so much, but man is it frustrating! It is definitely the most played game in my collection. It is just so diverse in it's game play. For some reason I can never have a day where I'm good at all components of the game. One day I am just nailing the mode start hole but just can't seem to complete the battlefield to save my life. Other days I finish the battlefield twice on ball one but can't start a mode for anything. I think its kind of what makes me love and also hate the game at the same time. Fine line I guess you would say.

My question is..what is your strategy to get to final battle? I usually play just to get to final battle vs a high score. Final battle awesome. I have yet to beat it. Keep this in mind when I say my strategy because it isn't the most lucrative in terms of points.

It all centers around prioritizing the collection of extra balls early.

1. I use the ramps to set the mode to Duel of Wills because its basically a guaranteed free extra ball
2. I start Duel of wills and collect the extra ball.
3. I try and catch the ball on the right flipper and back hand it into the mode hole. I focus on starting all the modes this way. When in a mode, I typically will shoot for the battlefield. You can collect another extra ball during the battlefield mode.
4. I then continue to collect modes and during the modes I try and shoot the shadow loop twice in order to light the third extra ball.
5. I don't actively try to complete the Kahn lights, but let that multiball happen organically. After collecting that multiball, I actively avoid completing the kahn rollovers since you can collect modes at the kahn hole when it isn't lit.
6. Shadow multi ball happens organically also. I don't really shoot for it but typically collect it during the course of trying to start all the modes.

Let me know what you think of my strategy. I feel like I get one or two shots away pretty frequently. Like I said earlier, shadow is just such a hard game to put all the pieces together at one time.

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I then continue to collect modes and during the modes I try and shoot The Shadow loop twice in order to light the third extra ball.

Is twice the default setting? I have to shoot it three times on my game to light the extra ball.

#3 9 years ago

I just practiced the mode start shot and timed out most modes in my quest to beat final battle, so the process of getting there wasn't too bad. Just beating it, that's the problem for me hah

Mine wasn't set up that you could backhand the mode start though, at least not unless the ball was rolling backwards up the right flipper. I think mine was pitched a little more than 6 1/2 as I recall.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Philk:

Mine wasn't set up that you could backhand the mode start though, at least not unless the ball was rolling backwards up the right flipper. I think mine was pitched a little more than 6 1/2 as I recall.

You can't backhand that shot on my game either.

#5 9 years ago

you can't backhand mode saucer from right flipper on my shadow either. I tend to choose left skill shot when right one is not interesting (x bonus, light lock, mongol in single player...) and then shoot the mode hole from the left. Also using left ramp diverter to setup that shot whenever I need it. I think left skillshot award is always worse than right one because there is more to shoot from left flipper while right one offers only left orbit/battlefield/ramp.

#6 9 years ago

My old shadow wouldn't allow me to backhand the mode hole. This shadow hasn't been shopped yet so the flippers are a little mushy. Its so boring to time out the modes. Maybe I'll try that. I factory reset the game when I got it so I think 2 shadow loops lights extra ball.

#8 9 years ago

My real strategy is to skip skill shot. Hold up right flipper and hop ball to left to get a shot to mode start while ball save is active. Make sure ramps are always diverted to left so a missed shot that hits the ramp gives you another clean attempt. You don't need vengeance for final battle. Don't time out modes. Play for other goals and you will get some extra mode points along the way. Go for sanctum locks or Kahn muktiball if lit. Farley claymore go for battlefield. Switch hits finish him off and you need to beat battlefield anyways. Basicly playing all 6 modes will be all you go for. The other stuff comes during the modes if played smartly.

We had a seperate 100$ side bounty on Shadow is it was live streamed all 24 hours. If anyone beat final battle they got the bounty. Not on hit it. Only beat it once in my life but the game sound and light show were amazing. It's even awesome just for starting final battle.

-Jim

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

We had a seperate 100$ side bounty on Shadow is it was live streamed all 24 hours. If anyone beat final battle they got the bounty. Not on hit it. Only beat it once in my life but the game sound and light show were amazing. It's even awesome just for starting final battle.

I don't expect I'll ever beat the final battle. It is just so hard to get there that I don't get enough practice on it. I wish I won that cup!

#10 9 years ago

Haha. Awesome. Love the trophy.

2 months later
#11 9 years ago

Been trying to get back into my shadow lately. Still haven't gotten to Final Battle, but was one mode away last night. Both saucers are a bitch to hit to start modes. Getting the modes complete is the toughest part of the scarf.

I tend to skip the skill shot too, unless there is a chance at an extra ball. The targets in front are just too damn unforgiving in terms of draining.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-final-battle-strategy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.