4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

856949C7-C323-46E4-A8CE-EAE0DDEF1327.jpeg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 months ago

So much of Pinside are arguments over the best machines and why. It’s really easy to talk about MM, AFM, WOZ, JP2, Star Trek, AC/DC, Metallica and more are great games. The merits of each can be told and they are over and over again. What about the hundreds and hundreds of games that don’t make it into the top 149? Those games that get no love but see to find a place in collections. Most pinball is fun so give some respect to the one’s that get no respect. So what’s your favorite 150 and higher game and why? Keep it fun and positive unlike other threads on Pinside.

#2 4 months ago

WPT at 187 is a hell of a lot of game. I love the deep code and the different layout. Super challenging. I'd definitely buy one for home use.

Big Hurt is a fun game too, especially for a Gottlieb, at 248. Probably my favorite Gottlieb game. I loved playing it on route back in the day and blowing that game up. It's a lot of fun hitting home runs, grand slams and collecting cards.

I've always liked Wrestlemania which comes it at 230. The theme took people by surprise and it suffered from lack of code at launch which kept the ball doing nothing in the ring too much...both things really polarized people. The game is very hard and I appreciate a challenge. I've always liked it and there is a lot to it when you start figuring it out. Too bad it suffered from JT's fate and won't be revisited again now, with a few tweaks it could be really good.

Finally the game everyone loved to hate, Popeye at 274. Once again, unique challenging game that most people pan without ever even playing the game. The weird environment theme didn't help things either. I've always liked it as is, but Popeye needs a code tweak to utilize the upper playfield better and it could be really good IMHO too.

#3 4 months ago

HMMMMMM...
    I actually have a few machines that rank well outside of the top 150.
    I have some that rank pretty in the top 50. All are fun for me to play. Some just have a bit more replayability.
    I really like this thread though. Can't wait to read everyone's responses.

So for sheer game play I'll have to go with Sinbad. Game shoots great. The solid state has simple, but really amazing rules. The updated board that you can get gives it a roving skill shot. Just really fun game that has a nice risk reward that can alter your strategy just enough to keep it fresh. Plus the game can be quite brutal and so even with 5 ball play it doesn't really take too long to play a couple of games. Which I think is refreshing. As I can play like 15-40 minute games on my Iron Maiden, Elvira 3, and MBr. Just an amazing game. I do want to fix my spinner. Make it juicer. But, that will be for another day. And I also like the theme. Sure... Playfield art kinda is lame. But, also some good elements to it. Just don't like the big head. The rest I like. Love the backglass. Love the theme. Ray Harryhausen is a hero of mine and I rip him off in my comics as much as I can.

Now... My other game. Is a bit of a dream theme for me. Hardbody. Love the theme. Lovely Rachel Mclish is a dish... A bit skinny for my tastes perhaps. But, since this will most likely be the only FBB pin ever made. I had to own it. I do hope one day to make an Hardbody 2 pin. That is a dream for me.
    Anyway... I like the pin. Think the backglass is awesome. Looks great in my house.
    Cab is boring. Playfield art is fine...
    Game shoots good. If you love the upper playfield games. This is a good one. But, I find that I play it for 15-25 minutes and I've had my fill. I can play sinbad for hours on end. As its just that much fun. But, its still a good shooter. Its fun. Just the theme isn't for everyone. Which is a shame. Rachel is a lovely woman. Still looks great today too!

#4 4 months ago

I don’t know what stern Rolling Stones is rated but everybody seems to hate it. I think it’s a great game.

#5 4 months ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

WPT at 187 is a hell of a lot of game.

No doubt. I would rate WPT higher than all of the following from the top 25:

LOTR
    POTC (JJP)
    Deadpool
    TAF
    TOTAN
    DI
    TOM
    WOZ
    TWD
    TSPP
    CV

To answer the original question, Meteor at 180 seems to be a game good enough to be in the top 50.

#6 4 months ago

Right now it's NASCAR. I have played it a few hundred times and I still havent got the champ1 or the wizard mode. Guess I will have to keep playing.

#7 4 months ago

Dungeons & Dragons.

#8 4 months ago

The one thing I really like about WPT is if you're at the bar playing with friends you can play poker at the end to see who's buying the next round. For me the game I'd add to this list is Big Guns, I think it's fun as hell, and I gravitate to it over way higher rated stuff.

#9 4 months ago

Stern’s NBA (298). I think it is a fun game with a decent toy, even if it is a knock off of Space Jam. The code is fairly deep on the game as well. It is not the best looking machine, but I’d love to own one.

#10 4 months ago

For me it’s 167 Rob Zombie every time I play the game it has that one more time feeling for me. It can be brutal and was greatly improved with it’s last big code update should be rated higher. Monopoly 202 not a good pinball theme but fun rule set and a good shooter should be rated higher. Space Invaders 281 great backglass, awesome artwork but an odd layout it’s fun to play to try to get a good score.

#11 4 months ago

It's still Hardbody for me. Love the target banks, in-line drops, raising ramps, flex save, etc. I could be perfectly happy with a collection exclusively comprised of sub-150 games.

#12 4 months ago

I know
    Everybody will say this about the game I mentioned....

But man a lot of terrible games being mentioned in this thread!!!

#13 4 months ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

HMMMMMM...
    I actually have a few machines that rank well outside of the top 150.
    I have some that rank pretty in the top 50. All are fun for me to play. Some just have a bit more replayability.
    I really like this thread though. Can't wait to read everyone's responses.
    So for sheer game play I'll have to go with Sinbad. Game shoots gredat. The solid state has simple, but really amazing rules. The updated board that you can get gives it a roving skill shot. too long to play a couple of n.
    Now... My other game. Is a bit of playfield games. This is a good one. But, I find that I play it for 15-25 minutes and I've had my fill. I can play sinbad for hours on end. As Still looks great today too!

Ditto for sinbad

#14 4 months ago
    #15 4 months ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Ditto for sinbad

That may be the first good game brought in this thread. Besides stones of course.

#16 4 months ago

Harlem and Stars are both outside of 150, I disagree.

#17 4 months ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

WPT at 187 is a hell of a lot of game. I love the deep code and the different layout. Super challenging. I'd definitely buy one for home use.
    Big Hurt is a fun game too, especially for a Gottlieb, at 248. Probably my favorite Gottlieb game. I loved playing it on route back in the day and blowing that game up. It's a lot of fun hitting home runs, grand slams and collecting cards.
    I've always liked Wrestlemania which comes it at 230. The theme took people by surprise and it suffered from lack of code at launch which kept the ball doing nothing in the ring too much...both things really polarized people. The game is very hard and I appreciate a challenge. I've always liked it and there is a lot to it when you start figuring it out. Too bad it suffered from JT's fate because and won't be touched again, with a few tweaks it could be really good.
    Finally the game everyone loved to hate, Popeye at 274. Once again, unique challenging game that most people pan
    without ever even playing the game. The weird environment theme didn't help things either. I've always liked it as is, but Popeye needs a code tweak to utilize the upper playfield better and it could be really good IMHO too.

Yes the Big Hurt just a fun game!

#18 4 months ago

Damnit, I like Shaq.

#19 4 months ago

Jackbot at #139 is crazy to me. I love pinbot but jackbot is pinbot on modern steroids. Every time I see bride of pinbot I try to play it and figure out why people like it.... I can’t

#20 4 months ago

Had to search Rollergames. In at 163 and loved it every time I played it. Loved the show as a kid, love the pin and the layout. Kickass theme too.

#21 4 months ago

I can’t believe Rolling Stones is 361 out of 379. It should be at least 375. It has a big tongue!

#22 4 months ago

I think Maverick is under rated. When I bought mine I had no intention on
    Keeping it. Now I don’t think I’ll let it go.

#23 4 months ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

It's still Hardbody for me. Love the target banks, in-line drops, raising ramps, flex save, etc. I could be perfectly happy with a collection exclusively comprised of sub-150 games.

WOOT!!!!
    Not the only person who mentioned Hardbody!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

#24 4 months ago
    Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Stern’s NBA (298). I think it is a fun game with a decent toy, even if it is a knock off of Space Jam. The code is fairly deep on the game as well. It is not the best looking machine, but I’d love to own one.

You just have to talk one of the 8 owners to sell theirs!

#25 4 months ago

Bad Cats and F2K.

#26 4 months ago

No Fear 156 I think it's a solid pin cool theme awesome callouts by Steve Ritchie.

Robocop 208 has one of my favorite spinners and it's a very fast and challenging game.

The X Files 233 I love this game dream theme I like the music cabinet shot Is a cool toy tight shots.

Godzilla 234 shitty movie but the pin has decent rules it's cool looking fun shots always been a favorite of mine.

Stern Rolling Stones 361 I agree with Levi i enjoy the game it's a tough player good for competition great theme and Mick on a Stick.

#28 4 months ago

Terminator 3 @ 160 ..I find it just as fun and fast as Terminator 2 .

#29 4 months ago

Avatar, not the most shots (ramps), but killer rules, soundtrack, and call outs IMO.

#30 4 months ago

There are a lot of good ones, but...Stern NBA at #299????

Are you serious????
    There's no WAY that should be outside the top 100...probably a lot lower.

Have these people played that game?????

#31 4 months ago

Independence Day at 288

Ramp city, lots of fun. I like it haha!

#32 4 months ago

I really like Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World. It's very simple but enjoying to play.

#33 4 months ago

MSF, I don't really understand how that game is only at 152. I like it a lot more than tons of games in the top 50.

#34 4 months ago

Stars, Nine Ball, Meteor, Big Game, Harlem Globetrotters.

All of above are superb games.

#35 4 months ago

There's a ton of games that I like ranked below 150 but the lowest ranked game that I own (that even has a rating) is Eight Ball Champ at 301. I think if it would have came out a few years earlier and had better art it would be much higher rated.

#36 4 months ago

Lights camera action, I think it is very under rated.

#37 4 months ago

Maybe I’m still in the honeymoon phase, but I really enjoy playing gorgar. The heartbeat, the ‘ME GOT YOU’ and ripping the spinner when lit for a 1000 is so cool..

#38 4 months ago

I wouldn’t know what any game is rated other than when seeing posts from guys who for some reason care about that.

But I know my Big Hurt is low on the totem pole. The features and mechs this game has....would be a JJP game if re-made now.

I’ve owned a Baywatch for 7 years and knew right away that it was a keeper. Now it’s starting to get some appreciation since the prices of pins has sky rocketed.

Maverick is a pin I initially didn’t care for. But it finally clicked when I picked up my 2nd one and it’s a keeper. Great rules and fun shots with rules that punish you when wrong shots are hit. 19 drop targets, I think?

Most Segas are in fact, just fun shooting games and I’m happy they had been overlooked and dismissed for years so I had a chance to own most of them at one point.

#39 4 months ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

Damnit, I like Shaq.

Does this game even make a list?

#40 4 months ago

I never felt Popeye deserves all the hate it gets, although I haven't seen one to play in years.

#41 4 months ago

Will always love Alien Poker @ 182.

It was the first pin in my youth that made me realize that pinball machines have rules and you have to strategize. A year later Eight Ball Deluxe would make me a pinhead for life. But it started with Alien Poker for me.

#42 4 months ago

Apollo 13 @ #187 , really? Love this game and it's value keeps climbing.
    South Park @ #261
    Viper Night Drivin' @ #338

#43 4 months ago

I own all these games and they are all bolted to the floor. Fantastic games!

173 - Robo-War
    180 - Meteor
    187 - Nine Ball
    199 - Alien Star
    267 - Ali

#44 4 months ago

some bias here but f2k is my favorite.
    love ripping spinners and multiball is
    not a gimme. gotta earn/luck into it.
    and i love widebodies!

#45 4 months ago

Rob Zombie for me . It’s a shame most will never get to play one since there are only 350 games made. I love mine and it will be one of the last to leave my collection.

#46 4 months ago

Of the games that I've actually played on that list:

211 LW3 - Used to play this in the arcade when I was younger, so fond memories of this.

220 CSI - Played at a show a few years back and remember actually quite enjoying at and I'm not normally a fan of the modern Sterns.

260 Bally Game Show - Again, one that I played on location when I was younger. This is one that I would love to own, but sadly they rarely come up for sale here, not that I have the money or space for one anyway!

Virtually, I've played 175 Dr. Dude in Pinball Arcade and it seems like a fun game!

#47 4 months ago

Probably no fear for me. Theres a lot of really enjoyable games outside of the top 100 though

#48 4 months ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

Damnit, I like Shaq.

It's so much better than the impression that you get from playing it on location a few times... I don't think I really liked it until I played one at PAPA and fully understood the rules and THEN had one here for a couple hundred plays. It's hard to get to the wizard modes and house balls and one flip drains are very common on the game. I guess I love to torture myself with horrible art and punishing layouts where most middle aged men like pins with eye candy and flow. Enough of why Shaq (at #361 [WTF]) is so great... let's double down and talk GAMES OUTSIDE 300...:
    -Supersonic
    -Stern Dracula
    -Mr/Ms Pacman
    -Nugent
    -Pool Sharks
    -Big House
    -Lights Camera Action
    -Twister
    and Black Pyramid are all under 300.

It's only going to get worse. If pinball releases keep up, in 5-10 years time, most of these will be well outside of top 400. I would buy any games listed above in good condition before I buy anything in the top 100 that I don't already own. Plus, they would be about 5-10X's cheaper. I'm glad you can "customize" the list but there really needs to be separated EM, SS classic, and modern lists at this point. The great games from 1977-1989 are SWALLOWED by the breadth of new machines. Hate to be so strict to set 1990 as the cutoff but it makes a lot of sense for the tech of pinball, the popularity of pinball and the design of pinball from 1989 -1991.

It's just more reasons why the "top 100 pinball" whatever the hell list is nothing more than a high school popularity contest. It really means nothing to the experienced pinhead at this point. It has nothing to do with playing pinball. Sure, for those starting out it could be a starting point but if you just go cookie cutter top 40 only, your collection may start to look like the "top earning location" in your town.

Brings us to the bigger issue...
    I mean why the hell do people own a new stern for 6 months play the game 100 times, and sell for a loss and buy the next churned out game, then do it again and again? You could just spend $100 in quarters and play the brand new game on location. I understand places where that isn't possible OR you have social problems or you like to drink too much or whatever BUT for the most part, I don't understand why people buy a game they plan to keep forever and then realize it suks and sell it and just hope the next NIB game they buy will be the best game ever and keep going until they hit paydirt. But hell, companies selling 10K toys need to keep the doors open somehow!

15 years ago it was not like this and in some cases you were NOT playing a new game unless you bought it. Times have certainly changed but old habbits die hard with the pinball enthusiasts.

#49 4 months ago

Gold Wings (339) is my guilty pleasure. It’s a challenge to me to try to build up the multiplier and then get mulitiball going.

#50 4 months ago

Don’t really give a shit about the top 100 on here but the Stones machine is a top 100 machine period!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet Parts
    PinballToys
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pindependent
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 40.00
    $ 19.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside