(Topic ID: 331162)

What’s Your Favorite Twilight Zone Episode?

By wolverinetuner

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Burgess_Meredith_Twilight_Zone_1960 (resized).jpg
    4A5086B2-3261-4B1A-B4D1-C083085119A8 (resized).jpeg
    perchance (resized).jpg
    77D2B8EE-275C-4E0D-A9CF-273C2ABD3A2F (resized).jpeg
    8B1D9D1E-B2F8-4DA3-AE4B-5E5AF9ED67CD (resized).jpeg
    F6864754-D02D-4E0D-8B10-ECBDAEA13E58 (resized).jpeg
    D146FA78-1C42-40D7-86DB-351F836D55F0 (resized).jpeg
    E83044EB-D253-47C9-AFF3-164A242DAD7C (resized).jpeg
    A39E5923-9FBF-436F-9906-F427B25C1EF4 (resized).jpeg
    D3E6433D-45A1-490C-A5D2-8B4471178B60 (resized).jpeg
    The-Twilight-Zone-I-Shot-an-Arrow-into-the-Air-4-768x578 (resized).jpg
    _I Shot an Arrow into the Air_ (SS 1 Ep 015) Astronauts land on a mysterious asteroid_ (resized).jpeg
    Untitled2 (resized).jpg
    A8BD9B5D-DF93-4ABA-B37C-72FB481FC5AF (resized).jpeg
    th-2025367818 (1) (resized).jpg
    F5211A6A-6350-4321-BC91-5F9A186EC72A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Honorable mention - the one where they redid that French film.

Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge? They didn't do anything other than slightly edit that film to fit the time slot. Pretty remarkable we never noticed the dialogue change!

For me:
    "Nick of Time" (Shatner in the diner),
    "time Enough at Last" (Burgess Meredith at the end of the world at the library),
    "The Invaders" (space aliens attack Agnes Moorehead in a rustic house)
    "Little Girl Lost" (basically the 2nd half of Poltergeist, amazingly creepy episode even if it's kind of clunky)
    "Death Ship" (astronauts find a crashed, exact copy of their ship, with themselves inside - same ship as The Invaders! Same ship as Forbidden Planet. Also, my TZ topper)

Also, "Steel" is pretty good - I kind of like the episode better than that movie with Hugh Jackman. Basically all the TZ episodes come out better than the later films based on them.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Nick of Time.
    Fun fact, they built the Mystic Seer out of an old Swami machine. I was able to grab one about ten years ago and build a functioning Mystic Seer. Still sitting on my bar!
    “Do you risk finding out?”[quoted image]

That is outstanding! I have one of the DP Livingston heads but could never find a swami machine I was willing to pay for. I wonder if someone has modeled that thing finally.. hmm...

Anyway, looks really nice

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

2) The Howling Man - Charles Beaumont wrote this one, the is the first from the second season that was not written by Rod Serling, and Serling could never had written anything like this because of the nature of the story. It speaks so much to the ignorance and arrogance of modern man. The final revelation was done perfect....The Outer Limits couldn't have done it any better.

Well said. Beaumont was some sort of savant, and such a tragic story. I'm more of a Matheson guy myself, but you are right - no one else could have written Beaumont's style

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I recall the last episode wasn’t memorable. The bewitching pool or something?

Ugh. Actually the first episode I ever saw, when I was 5. Took me 15 years to figure out WTF that black & white story was. Lots of weird cost-cutting in that one. Not the greatest story to start with, but an atrocious script, plus ALL the voices are dubbed! If the grandma had turned into a horrible witch or something, at least that would explain better why those kids would go back to the heinous monsters called their parents! LOL

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

I think that it’s edited out now. I’m going to have to check this out

It didn't air with the color originally. It was added as a "bonus" when the episode was re-aired "for the first time!" in the 80s. The color bit was part of the Ted Turner-type colorization starting out at that time. You remember it better than it actually was

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The last and Final episode is "occurrence at owl creek bridge". Actually a short film that won at cannes that year. The show was folding and Rod Serling wanted to highlight it for us tv. He was also friends with the director.

That isn't the last episode aired - it's the final "thing" they put money into for the 5th season. The film needed to be cut down a bit to fit into a TV show time slot - this bit of editing and adding Rod's intro/outro was the last expense for the show. But "The Bewitchin' Pool" aired after it. Hadn't heard about Rod's being friends with the director; that's new info to me.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I saw an interview where Rod Serling lamented the budget constraints he was under. A few episodes were actually filmed with videotape instead of film (“Twenty-Two” is one of those episodes). This was cheaper, but surrendered depth of visual perspective. He also said that the aliens invading Agnes Moorehead’s home in “The Invaders” were simply robot toys, and he said “that’s exactly what they looked like.”

I think "The Invaders" still works though, because Agnes Moorehead is so amazing in that episode. AND there's not even any dialogue!

The videotape episodes were in the 2nd season. Desi Arnaz (yep, THAT one!) was doing the show under his DesiLu production company, and they decided in the first season to front load ALL the costs of every episode for that season into the first handful of S1 episodes. This meant that they had all their costs up front and all the heart attacks at the studio level were over and done with as soon as possible. And the remaining episodes looked like they were saving the studio a TON of money. In season 2, CBS figured this out pretty fast, and enforced the videotape. Everyone involved would rather pretend it never happened.. LOL. The dreamy quality of film was/is absolutely key to these stories working.

I think there's a possibility of re-engineering those 6 episodes using AI to more fold down the frame rate and make it look more like film. I tried doing this years ago using Avid MC , and it came out pretty decently - but the lighting quality is so dramatically different, you can still tell, and it wasn't worth it.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Mary badman is sport in that episode. Her claim to fame was scout in "To kill a mockingbird".
    I just had the privilege with working with Mary for 2 weeks in the Broadway show "To kill a mockingbird " starring Richard Thomas , John Boy Waltons. Good show and Mary now 72 plays the wicked old racist lady mean to the kids. She nails it. I talked to her several times about her episode and told her my story of collecting the episode's. She remembered Rod a lot. A remembered how cold the water was.

Great story! Horrible name for a kid. LOL

Must have been great working on the show. As much as I love the show I never got any real sense of how involved Rod was day to day. It makes total sense he was around 24/7, especially if you listen to some of his later lectures in the 70s, you can hear the passion is still there. I have to chuckle at the people who are getting all mad at how progressive the newer seasons were. This show was that, back then!

#79 1 year ago

Here’s one possibly not everyone has seen:

“The Time Element”, which was aired as part of Westinghouse-Desilu Playhouse, prior to the series being picked up. Written by Rod; a little longer than the typical episode. Pretty damn great

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

That is a scario that played out time and time again in speculative fiction - both in books, tv, movies, and audio shows. I always said to myself - did they not do physiological profiles on these people?
    If you do have professional and unselfish behavior, that removes any conflict or drama that can artificially be created (soap opera shit), but still - lazy writing IMO.

Maybe not as realistic, but otherwise you get guys like the crew from Rocketship X-1, and they are BORING!

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:I’m surprised Midnight Sun hasn’t been mentioned, a total classic.
    A woman slowly cooks to death as the sun moves closer to the earth. She passes out and wakes up to find… she’s a toy, and she’s been dead the whole time!

LOL! AND all those phone calls have been coming from her grandmother... who's been dead for years!

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah for sure.
    And I suspect the episode was modeled after the very store I was in, herald square macys.
    No creepy mannequins or thimbles for sale on the 9th floor now, just luggage and furniture.

Hardware? Children’s wear? Ladies lingerie?

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

My Hulu DVR captured over 100 episodes for the SyFy New Years Marathon. Recently watched "To Serve Man", featuring a young Richard "Jaws" Kiel. That's an all-time favorite for me. The twists are always the best part.
    This thread got me thinking though. Hulu DVR eventually dumps your saved recordings, so I finally went ahead on Amazon & ordered the Complete Twilight Zone Blu-ray just to have them. Also ordered season 1 of The Outer Limits. Embarrassed to admit I've never seen any of those episodes, but really looking forward to diving in. Shame Season 2 was out of stock.
    The Twilight Zone Complete series was 27% off for $56. The Outer Limits Season 1 was 47% off for $47. The unexpected surprise? Buying them both together gave a multibuy discount of $24. That's $86 for 188 episodes of timeless sci-fi classics
    Now if they would just settle the long-running Crypt Keeper licensing rights dispute & remaster the complete HBO Tales From The Crypt series on Blu-ray.

Did the same last year! Keep an eye out for Outer Limits Season 2 - it’s worth it; there’s some great episodes on there.

#164 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Since no one else has mentioned it, I will. “Eye of the Beholder” is probably my second favorite Twilight Zone episode. It has a great surprise twist ending, featuring Donna Douglas before she became widely-known for playing Elly May Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies.[quoted image]

Pretty damn amazing how good this show was; how we could get 4 pages in and no one mentions this masterpiece!

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

That was the last episode. Due to technical issues, the young girl's voice had to be overdubbed with the voice of June Foray, who was a famous voice actress. She was the voice of the cartoon character, Rocky the Flying Squirrel (who was female, BTW).

Rocky is absolutely not a female squirrel. He's a teenager, which is part of the reason June Foray voiced him. I don't think Jay Ward ever said anything about this specifically, but there is an episode of the The Bullwinkle Show where Boris and Natasha send a very obviously female robot squirrel to distract Rocky, and he falls in love with "her". No chance they were doing something that progressive back then.

June was awesome, and played as many teenage boy characters as she did women. In a couple of scenes, she's the voice of the Brody kids in Jaws!

#179 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

So what was the best one from the movie?
    I have to go with Nightmare. It was done so well.
    It's a Good Life was good - typical Dante.
    I have trouble watching the Ric Morrow ep for obvious reasons
    The Spielberg ep is a snoozer.

Dante's re-envisioning of It's a Good Life is a showstopper. You said "typical Dante", but there is NO other filmmaker who could marry horror, comedy and Tex Avery cartoons like he did and make it work

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I stand corrected then. Someone told me this once, and I never really questioned it. After all, he is Rocket J. Squirrel!

Understood! June Foray was born in my hometown and my cousin lives near her grand-niece; met her when I was a little kid, she was an amazing lady !

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I like Unusual Camera, because the folks getting screwed by the Twilight Zone actually deserve it. So often it's just like...welcome to the Twlight Zone. You are fucked. Tough titty!!
    I also like how the Unusual Camera folks were all actually dead, they just didn't know it yet! That bitch got defenestrated!

There's also an impossible causal loop with the last guy since he only falls out the window (seriously, why did no one think to close that manslaughter-y window) because he sees his own dead body on the ground in the future-depicting photo!

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I didn't mean it negatively, I like most of Dante's work. Both Nightmare and Life are well done upgrades. There was a sequel to Life that was done with a later series, and it was ok but once they get too far from an original story - hence why I don't like sequels that much.
    So - anybody ride Twilight Zone - Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World? We just had a personal tour of the lobby (long story) and it was phenomenal. Most of the pieces in the Lobby are antiques; some are 400 years old.

I didn’t think you did, I’m just a huge Dante fan

Sooo spill the details on the lobby tour! There are some props from TZ episodes in there; I’ve always wondered if they were replicas or original

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

No originals from the show - I asked. They are all replicas. There might have been some on the original ride at Disneyland - however when it was "re-imagined", the WDW staff tried to get some of the pieces but they were not successful. Apparently the two "teams" work "independtley".
    The WDW staff is very, very proud of the attraction. They treat it like it's a museum, which it kind of is. The cast member who gave us the tour was there when the ride was opened, and he met Carol Serling and of course the imaginers who worked on it. The chairs are from Europe around the time of the 17th Century. They are not sure what they were used for but believe they were nobility furniture of some sort.
    The lights were from a theater in Seattle, the luggage is vintage, the rugs, ornaments, etc, are all real. The books in the two rooms are real and they have some treasures in there including a first edition of a Charles Dickens, and other rare books. All these things were bought/sourced back in the early 90's from auctions/antique shops around the area. Each piece has a story of some sort and the attention to detail in that lobby is amazing. The staff was fantastic, I can't say enough about them.
    Also - be sure to check out the props in the room below. Many pieces are off to the side that you need a light in order to view them.

very cool! The room below? You mean the boiler room? I've never noticed props down there, I'll have to look harder next time we visit.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-favorite-twilight-zone-episode?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.