(Topic ID: 135482)

What's Your Favorite Gottlieb (Other Than Haunted House)?

By Jopper

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Madmax541
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Black Hole > Haunted House.

Multiball. Speech. Better looking playfield art. Animated backglass. Less nonsensical flipper layout.

#52 8 years ago

DMD= Stargate/Gladiators
SS = Robo War/Time Line
EM = Target Alpha

#53 8 years ago

Only one I can stand is Stargate...

#54 8 years ago

Big Brave

#55 8 years ago

class of 1812 and stargate. I have a soft spot for freddy too but mainly due to how awesome it looks not how it plays.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I was more looking at a gameplay standpoint for this one. HH is beautiful no doubt. Just think the play is way too clunky.

The problem with HH is that the main playfield, where the ball spends most of the time, just doesn't have much to offer. The game is gorgeous, and I love the sounds, but I find it kinda boring to play. I'd love to play the multiball version, though.

Genesis
BH
Abra-Ca-Dabra
Freddy
Operation Thunder
SMB

I'd love to play a couple that I've only played on Pinmame:
Asteroid Annie
Counterforce

#57 8 years ago

Used to be Joker Poker. A friend recently got a Counterforce. That is now my favorite. Simply brilliant.

Space Invaders meets Missile Command meets pinball.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The problem with HH is that the main playfield, where the ball spends most of the time, just doesn't have much to offer. The game is gorgeous, and I love the sounds, but I find it kinda boring to play. I'd love to play the multiball version, though.
Genesis
BH
FREDDY
Abra-Ca-Dabra
I'd love to play a couple that I've only played on Pinmame:
Asteroid Annie
Counterforce

Oh I forgot about abra-ca-dabra, also jack's open is a cool game and was the first pin I ever played.

#59 8 years ago

Modern: Stargate
SS: Black hole (will get one soon ! )
EM: Canada Dry (clone of Target Alpha)

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Stargate was fun but I tired of it quickly.

One thing I really think that helps that I keep telling people: put the settings on Stargate a bit harder than 'standard'! I did really soon after I got the game and I really love it. I.e. not 50% of the time the left outlane 'protected', multiball a bit harder, etc...
I played SG somewhere else, and I liked it less, I think it was a little too easy there.

Edit: I played Gladiators and though I liked the modes, the layouts, the shaker, I think that one too was too easy, so I'd like to own it one day, and will put settings on hard. No, I'm not a top-player! It's just that some games are (IMO) better when set on harder settings, especially for home-use. If I'd own a recent Stern, I'd surely set multiball-ballsave-timer on a lot of modes a lot shorter (if that's possible): I like to be punished if I loose 3 balls 3 times in the first 15 seconds, and not get all balls back multiple times. If I'd programm a ballsave on an autoshooter game, I'd give it a ballsavetime that decreases every ball that is saved, so you don't want to 'let go' the first balls.
OK, back on topic: Stargate is great!

#61 8 years ago

Joker Poker and El Dorado (all versions are good but I prefer City of Gold edition for the ruleset).

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The problem with HH is that the main playfield, where the ball spends most of the time,

mmm, I'm going to say it spends an equal amount of time, (if not more) in the lower playfield. Lots of ways to get down there, and get down there it does.

HH is a very attractive pin and some of the best, if not the best art to ever grace a pin imho. It's real cool. Gameplay wise, well....
Sometimes you really feel like playing, and other times you don't. It's fun to rack up a huge bonus, but that left top of the playfield is a poor main playfield area to shoot for. Also, it can feel very random and out of control on the main playfield, especially while trying to get targets 1-5. Give credit where credit is due though, you're playing on 3 different playfields which is unlike any other pin, and the theme is top notch.

Lots of good SS Gottlieb Pins

Early SS Joker Poker

System 80:
Spiderman- classic pin all the way with excellent comic book art.
Pink Panther- Very unique multi-ball and the gameplay is a blast for what looks so simple.
Rocky- Excellent use of license for its time, it packs a punch
Black Hole- loaded gameplay, and stupidly fun. Many people dislike the lower playfield being so unforgiving if you fail to open the gate...I love it.
Punk! Great game, total time machine back to 1982.

System 80b - Pass. I own a Bounty Hunter as my first pin bought in 1993, but that doesn't mean I love it. Not a fan really, of system 80b pins.

System 3:
Hoops- Fantastic gameplay, feels like you're playing nba jam.
Stargate. A loaded pin that plays great

I've heard good things about Big Hurt, but have yet to play one.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I've heard good things about Big Hurt, but have yet to play one.

I played Ed's a couple years ago...... I was surprised how much fun it was.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I played Ed's a couple years ago...... I was surprised how much fun it was.

it is a very fun game. My dad restored one last year and we brought it to TPF this year. It was played non-stop all weekend and we got a lot of compliments on it and how fun it was.

#65 8 years ago

HH is a visually nice game but gameplay doesn't match the looks.
EM's:
El Dorado
Surf Champ
SS
Sinbad - ridiculously simple, very addictive!
Devils Dare - mine is broken at present but a good game when it was going
Spirit - never played one but now own one overseas - need to get it shipped home
Black Hole - Own one but have only played it 5 times - (lack of time)

2 weeks later
#66 8 years ago

That's taking in a lot of territory. The majority of Gottlieb's production was EM games. My favorite of all time has to be "King of Diamonds".
It's such a classic, fun and gorgeous game.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from kayakkingoz:

Em Quick / Fast Draw.
Wild Life / Jungle + Plenty of others in the em era
SS Pinball Pool. Not much there for me but would like to get HH
DMD Wipeout (have not played too many DMD,s)

Wow! I think that is the first time I have ever seen Jungle/wild life in anyones top list (other than Gottlieb production numbers).

#68 8 years ago

I seem to play Gladiators quite often. Even in my collection. It isn't very deep but I love the flow. If anyone has one in collector quality or just plain super condition and is considering selling please pm me. I would love to upgrade example and sell the one I have.

I also enjoy Black Hole too.

#69 8 years ago

TX sector
Robowar
Excalibur
Raven
Arena
and many more.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

TX sector
Robowar
Excalibur
Raven
Arena
and many more.

Don't forget tx, teed off, and cbw

Also ccruise and nightmoves for cocktails

#71 8 years ago

Pink Panther!!

#72 8 years ago

Rescue 911. If it only had more William Shatner...

#73 8 years ago

Atlantis, Abra Ca Dabra, Jacks Open, Jumping Jack

Genesis, Incredible Hulk, Genie, Joker Poker

#74 8 years ago

So no one ever mentions Big House.
It's a jailbreak theme which seems like it would be cool.

Pros?
Cons?
Is it a sleeper or a yawn?

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

It's a jailbreak theme which seems like it would be cool.
Pros?
Cons?
Is it a sleeper or a yawn?

It is just OK. FUn but not much lastability IMO.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Love (and miss) Genie

same here

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I've never played it but would buy one if it came up. Another overlooked Gottlieb I like is Gold wings.

#78 8 years ago

Not an HH fan. But I do love my BH. Tough game. Love the dudes voice.

#79 8 years ago

Daisy May, followed by Frontiersman. So much fast fun pinball with the PF/BG artwork that has yet been matched and likely never will. It must have been a real gas to be a teenager with loose change in your pocket back in the 1950's.....

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It is just OK. FUn but not much lastability IMO.

For some bizarre reason I love the art. Maybe it's because I love Pam Ericsson's style.
But if the gameplay is boring then definitely not worth a large investment. Wonder what a good/very good Big House should go for.
$1200-$1500?

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

For some bizarre reason I love the art. Maybe it's because I love Pam Ericsson's style.
But if the gameplay is boring then definitely not worth a large investment. Wonder what a good/very good Big House should go for.
$1200-$1500?

I think there was a pretty nice one at expo last year for 900 (give or take) I played about 10 games on it and decided to pass, which says alot given my obsession with GTB games of that era. Now keep in mind I was limited on transport space and could not hear it very well which is an important part of those era gtb games.

At 1k Id probably snag it if local and easy. Any more and there are better games for that price imo

#82 8 years ago

side note >> RAN you should come to expo! I have a room booked w a pullout if you do opt to

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

$1200-$1500?

A few months ago, I picked one up for $650 for a neighbor who wanted to get into pins. It's a heck of a lot of machine for that price. (Also in excellent condition, by the way.) They wanted one that that kids would enjoy, and this definitely fills the bill. I thought it was a pretty good pin, all things considered. Some clever features, like the moving search light. Not one I'd want, but a good first pin for a family looking to get into pinball gently.

7 months later
#84 7 years ago

Mars.

#85 7 years ago

joker poker

#86 7 years ago

Volley

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PENNSYLVANIA
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-favorite-gottlieb-other-than-haunted-house/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.