(Topic ID: 152294)

Whats Your Favorite Gimmick or Toy in Pinball?

By mbaumle

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00419_(resized).JPG
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

The orbiting ball on the Cosmos backbox is kind of neat.

#52 8 years ago

The pop up cages on Totan

#53 8 years ago

the snagger in lost world of Jurassic park that grabs the ball

#54 8 years ago

Coin slot - - found on every game in the wild and most home games too. Followed by .. bill acceptor and card swiper.

#55 8 years ago

I'll be honest, the mechanical coin validators are engineering genius. Very clever.

#56 8 years ago

My favorite game-specific gadgets:

- Ball savers and vanishing ball on TOTAN
    - The Battlefield on Shadow
    - POTC ship
    - NASCAR's big accelerator loop

My favorite general-use features:

- Vari-targets
    - In-line drops
    - Crossover return lanes
    - Backglass animations

#57 8 years ago

I'm partial to the Crane in LAH. Makes the kids go "Woah!!"

Also like the bell in AC/DC and Sparky in MET.

#58 8 years ago

Lots of cool things done with magnets but the best has to be the powerball in TZ. With the lighter ceramic ball, you get a whole different type of gameplay so it's not just a gimmick. The game also knows when the ball is in play and you have a special shot for the ball. Very clever.

#59 8 years ago

On flintstones when the ball goes back behind the flippers to the other side. Everyone is surprised when they see that the first time.

#60 8 years ago

simple...

Staged balls with good code. Love when a properly staged ball pops up almost instantly on the right side after dropping into the pf from an entirely different spot.

i.e. Tx-Sector teleport but more refined with instant ball reaction.

P3 seemed to do this really well the last time I played it.

#61 8 years ago

METALLICA playfield HAMMER of justice!!!! just too cool

#62 8 years ago

Junkyards wrecking ball is fun to hammer at

CVs juggler vuks

NBAs ball passing

Big Bang Bar alien head locks

Bugs Bunny reverse pf

TAF thing hand

#63 8 years ago

The guillotine in the Alice Cooper "Welcome to my nightmare" LE..........oh wait!

#64 8 years ago

I love the boom balloon in Cirqus Voltaire.

#65 8 years ago

Slam Ramp in NGG, when you nail a hole in one is the best shot in pinball !

I also love the magnets in ironman they are well done.

#66 8 years ago

NGG Slam Ramp into a Hole-in-One is one of the Best shots in pinball!!!

TSPP when the flippers go reverse (left is right, right is left) is pretty cool also!!

#67 8 years ago

The Getaway's turbocharger is pretty cool, but it is a one trick pony.

The TOM trunk is all kinds of awesome, and it has a magnet, which is awesome squared.

The pop up scoop for TOM's basement is also pretty cool.

The Enterprise bash toy on ST feels good to hit.

The hologram bash games in Pin2K were pretty satisfying too.

#68 8 years ago

I like on I500 the car at the top of the right ramp, then when you get it spinning shakes the game like a shaker motor. Successive hits get it moving/shaking even more. Turbo on I500, while nothing spectacular, is a nice version of a 'lock/vuk'

magnets are almost always fun, be hard to find more than a couple of cases where they are just a waste.

When Addams family came out, Thing grabbing the ball was certainly an attention getter. As was the T-rex in Jurassic Park.

MM Castle with the sequence draw bridge and gate to open it up as well as the destruction, makes it a well integrated toy. POTC ship similar but not quite as good.

I like the Rug on TBL, very clever how it was done.

I always like Vari-targets

path of adventure on Indy

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zampinator:

TSPP when the flippers go reverse (left is right, right is left) is pretty cool also!!

Yes, the Mystery Spot mini-wizard mode. The new RZ from Spooky will also have this mode.

#70 8 years ago

The disappearing pop bumper on Gusher and Sea Wolf is pretty cool too.

#71 8 years ago

Current fave: Rising cross in METLE.
    Simple toy but the execution is perfect.

#72 8 years ago

The trap door in TOM is one of my favorites, it is just so much fun to shoot when it is open.

#73 8 years ago

DSC00419_(resized).JPGDSC00419_(resized).JPG

#74 8 years ago

I know what I definitely DON'T like.... the wieners, I mean.., towers, of the MM castle.....

#75 8 years ago

Potc sinking ship awesome effect

#76 8 years ago

A 3rd flipper (or 4th, 5th, etc.). I love games that have more than 2 flippers and the additional flipper(s) have an actual purpose (e.g. the Shadow loop, ST warp ramps, etc.).

#77 8 years ago

Thing on AF. He comes out, grabs your ball while a catchy tune plays, and I get to snap my fingers twice.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I like on I500 the car at the top of the right ramp, then when you get it spinning shakes the game like a shaker motor. Successive hits get it moving/shaking even more. Turbo on I500, while nothing spectacular, is a nice version of a 'lock/vuk'

Yes! It's a 5 speed shaker on steroids! The turbo is a great physical ball lock! One of the best!

#79 8 years ago

BSD Mist Multi-ball. Love it. Some pinball features are truly gimmicks that are only added for entertainment purposes. But the mist multi-ball not only entertains with great sound effects as the ball mysteriously moves across the playfield, but it requires a skill shot to get multi-ball.

#80 8 years ago

For someone playing these games for the first time.

Bsd mist multi ball
    Flintstones behind the flippers trick
    Tommy blinders
    Taf power

Totally unexpected

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

For someone playing these games for the first time.

You know, I sometimes forget how cool my machines are until I get a new person to play. It's always fun the first time watching their reaction the T Rex eats the ball in JP, or the ball goes behind the flippers in Flintstones, or the freaking hologram aliens appear.

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

You know, I sometimes forget how cool my machines are until I get a new person to play.

Agreed! When I first got my Earthshaker, everyone was enamored with the shaker effect. They just thought it was the coolest thing. Even now after the honeymoon stage, people still think it's super cool. Especially my mother, who freaks out every time it happens.

#83 8 years ago

Another NGG slam ramp vote. This feature should be intergrated into newer Stern designs.

#84 8 years ago

I like the ski lift in Wipeout and the cheese block ball locks in Mousin' Around.

#85 8 years ago

the bowling alley on TBL

#86 8 years ago

"Pinball Magic"

"POWERBALL"

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-favorite-gimmick-or-toy-in-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.