(Topic ID: 152294)

Whats Your Favorite Gimmick or Toy in Pinball?

By mbaumle

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00419_(resized).JPG
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

I know I'm a little late to the party when saying this (and a little embarrassed to say that), but I just played a Champion Pub and thought that the interactive jump rope toy was pretty brilliant. I'm not a huge fan of the theme, but it was well done, and worked really well in my opinion.

It got me thinking, I've probably overlooked a boatload of neat little things they've included in pinball machines lately. What's your favorite toy or gimmick that they've used in a pinball machine?

#2 8 years ago

A stretch on your question, but my fav gimmick is how Stern came up with their "Good, Better, Best" marketing strategy and pin building model. Don't like it--it has jacked up the price of all pinball machines-- but a nice way to maximize profits on their part.

#3 8 years ago

The crane in Batman TDK

#4 8 years ago

the hammer on metallica. i know some folks hate it. but the illusion of it hitting the ball into the playfield is pretty cool.

#5 8 years ago

The rotating pop bumper platter on Nags is a good one.

#6 8 years ago

Mini playfield on twilight zone, the magnets under it controlled by the flipper buttons is allways fun.

#7 8 years ago

The magnet under the playfield in Addams Family. Still so cool.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Mini playfield on twilight zone, the magnets under it controlled by the flipper buttons is allways fun

Back when I first played this game, that feature blew my young mind. I thought it was just so cool.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

The crane in Batman TDK

Such a fun feature!

#11 8 years ago

10 posts and no Mist multiball? FOR SHAME.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

no Mist multiball? FOR SHAME.

This was another one that blew my mind! I guess I'm a sucker for magnets.

#14 8 years ago

This might be a stretch for a gimmick but hitting all of the pool balls on Hot Shot is something so simple but oh so satisfying to achieve. I haven't played many pool based games so there might be others that did this before or after but that one was the first to come to my mind.

#15 8 years ago

Mist multi-ball on Dracula. Paul magnet on KISS premium/LE.

#16 8 years ago

BSD Mist
    TOM trunk magnet
    Pinball Magic Levitating Ball and Magic Wand
    TOTAN Genie Disappearing Ball
    TZ Mini Playfield

Magnets seem to do all the cool stuff

And I like Jackbot And WD? where you can gamble your points, more of a gimmick than toy

#17 8 years ago

Rudy, for sure, both in terms of complexity and personality. He is of course just plain creepy. He taunts the player. He screams like a banshee when you make a jackpot. His eyes follow the ball around the table, darting left and right based on what switches are hit. When asleep, his mouth hangs open, and his lip even quivers in time with his snoring. He gives each player a unique nickname and calls them that for the duration of the game. No other pinball feature or toy comes close to all that.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

The crane in Batman TDK

Yes Sir!

#19 8 years ago

Another Rudy fan here!

#20 8 years ago

I just played Road Show and think I might prefer Red and Ted to Rudy. No doubt Rudy is classic but he can get annoying for me but I haven't played enough of Road Show to know for sure.

#21 8 years ago

the levitating ball in pinball magic. There's nothing more amazing.

#23 8 years ago

Rotating island pathway in Gilligan's Island

#24 8 years ago

Fish tales Reel ball lock

#25 8 years ago

Sanctum ball lock on "Shadow" is simple but effective.

#26 8 years ago

The super charger from getaway was always at the top. I'm really digging the lt5 on corvette too. I also like the shaker interactions and the sinking building on sample earthshakers

#27 8 years ago

Best toy: MM Castle
    Honorable mentions: BDK crane, POTC ship, Rudy/Red/Ted, BSD Mist feature, FGY Stewie's mini-pinball.

#28 8 years ago

Blinders in Tommy.

#30 8 years ago

Volcano multiball on Congo.

#32 8 years ago

Manual kickback button on Volcano.

#33 8 years ago

Pinball magic wand. I still think that is so cool.

#34 8 years ago

The ramp on Williams Skyway was a novel idea.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

The super charger from getaway was always at the top. I'm really digging the lt5 on corvette too. I also like the shaker interactions and the sinking building on sample earthshakers

First time I saw the supercharger....I had to own it. Rudy also ranks very high in our gameroom

#36 8 years ago

Not a stock toy, but the Tron Arcade Mod ranks up there for me.

#37 8 years ago

Family Guy's Stewie playfield. Also worthy of mention: Doctor Who's triple playfield and mist on BSD.

#38 8 years ago

Shooting through the targets back into the shooter lane on mystery castle...not a toy but a unique gimmick nonetheless.

Hologram on CFTBL was one of a kind.

#39 8 years ago

All the gimmicks/toys on Pinball Magic are simply awesome.

#40 8 years ago

T-Rex in Jurassic Park.

#41 8 years ago

Zaccaria also did some really clever stuff in the 80s. On their Time Machine, I think it's neat how they had an entire section of the playfield raise and lower. It kinda reminds me of the rotating playfield on Lights Camera Action. Simple, but effective.

#42 8 years ago

Best gimmck in pinball is magnets.

It doesn't matter what game. Any game where a magnet does something during a game is great.

My one friend who really isn't into pinball said it best while playing my Iron man. Quote " I know its just a magnet but every time I see that it's so cool!"

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Best gimmck in pinball is magnets.

I agree. From the mist multiball in dracula, to magnasave in Black Knight, and even the lowly pit magnet in Gorgar is fun to watch.

#44 8 years ago

I like the ball lock in The Shadow where it grabs the ball and whoosh.... It just disappears.

#45 8 years ago

I've always liked the hologram on CFTBL...not the most advanced "toy", but when bright and green...pretty cool.
    Levitating ball on Pinball Magic

#46 8 years ago

The pre-pay gimmick has kind of run it's course.

#47 8 years ago

Double Trouble drop targets on Jungle Lord and the Flash Bank drop targets on Solar Fire and Grand Lizard.

#49 8 years ago

This time around I'm voting for Dr Who's three-level rising playfield elevator thingie, the proper designation of which I'm too lazy to research at this moment. There's something surreal about such a large section of the playfield morphing to different features.

#50 8 years ago

Knocking the sails down and sinking the ship on Pirates of the Caribbean.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-favorite-gimmick-or-toy-in-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.