Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by sixgill
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 8.34.25 am (resized).png
    pencil gripper (resized).JPG
    tools. (resized).jpg
    tools (resized).jpg
    IMG_2599 (resized).jpg
    118409278_3178333508920410_6706025706512029468_n (resized).jpg
    FC3C914E-B292-4753-88C2-2C0BA79530A6 (resized).jpeg
    2B5CAB04-B8A8-411E-B9C2-4503F7EDE0D3 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200621_155150 (resized).JPG
    tuber (resized).jpg
    20190625_102817 (resized).jpg
    vacuum (resized).jpg
    IMG_4266 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4267 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6433 2 (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 9.02.53 AM (resized).png
    There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Just placed an order for these E-Z-HOOK's. I ordered a 48" & 72" but you can get about any length. I previously used these on my day job.

Use these to jumper across electrical circuits in an em pinball machine to troubleshoot - prove good to a certain relay or connection on certain problems.

Simply push the thumb button to expose a spring hook and clip wherever you want to test. Release thumb button to "lock on" to your test point.

1516744338101-197012841 (resized).jpg1516744338101-197012841 (resized).jpg
    1516744688463-2129343470 (resized).jpg1516744688463-2129343470 (resized).jpg
    15167448268041709921923 (resized).jpg15167448268041709921923 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Hey pretty cool.

#3 6 years ago

Screwdriver and shop vac are my go to tools whenever I start working on an EM pinball machine.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Just placed an order for these E-Z-HOOK's. I ordered a 48" & 72" but you can get about any length. I previously used them on my day job.
    Use these to jumper across electrical circuits in an em pinball machine to troubleshoot - prove good to a certain relay or connection on certain problems.
    Simply push the thumb button to expose a spring hook and clip wherever you want to test. Release thumb button to "lock on" to your test point.

Yea, those are cute. I have a standard alligator jumper but can be a pain cliping in in tight locations. Give us the URL and I'll order some.

Its great to jumper across 8 reels of a 4p game when first firing one up.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Yea, those are cute. I have a standard alligator jumper but can be a pain cliping in in tight locations. Give us the URL and I'll order some.
    Its great to jumper across 8 reels of a 4p game when first firing one up.

Ken, order the 72". Best deal. I phoned my order in but the website is www.e-z-hook.com

15167459440712032644564 (resized).jpg15167459440712032644564 (resized).jpg
    1516745983288-793063531 (resized).jpg1516745983288-793063531 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

beer. repairs seem less annoying when a cold beverage is involved

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Screwdriver and shop vac are my go to tools whenever I start working on an EM pinball machine.

After avocado toast?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

After avocado toast?

And many cervesas, amigo.

#9 6 years ago

If I’m working on a Gottlieb: Flat head screwdriver.

Anything else: pair of regular ‘ol pliers and a Phillips head screwdriver.

#10 6 years ago

Neat! So which of these do you recommend? (Can't find model number)

http://catalog.e-z-hook.com/category/test-hooks

#11 6 years ago

Cold Beer
    Screw drivers/pliers
    File for switch contacts like flippers
    Dremel with a brass brush
    Soldering iron and solder

The rest is making it easy or pretty. Extra beer encourages friends to help- highly recommended, now I just need some friends

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Neat! So which of these do you recommend? (Can't find model number)
    http://catalog.e-z-hook.com/category/test-hooks

I'd order the 204-72WVLT (RED) (YEL) etc. - the last 3 letters is the color. You can order red, white, blue, yellow, violet, etc.. This is 72" long which would reach most test points in a pinball. Maybe even go with 8' if you want - still cheap. Cords are cheap but shipping was around $15 for 3 e-z-hooks.
    I called to place my order 626-446-6175

15167507045171063272019 (resized).jpg15167507045171063272019 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Nobody mentioned a switch adjusting tool.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 6 years ago

How about a flat file for cleaning up those nasty contacts? ok burnishing tool. I also need a nail set and a hammer when working on the cabs.

wait for it, Nick and his dremel tool.

#15 6 years ago

although not an essential i do like this on my work cart. A magnetizer/demagnitizer for screw drivers and dental hooks and what else have you . can be found for under 5 bucks

URR_9888 (resized).jpgURR_9888 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Most def some jumpers, a schematic, soldering iron, screw driver, wire cutter, switch adjuster, wood glue and a circuit breaker!!

20180123_190253 (resized).jpg20180123_190253 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

I had always been frustrated on some machines by access to nuts on pop bumper rings & shafts. Made up this tool from a socket & unused sink drainer. Works a treat.

canon121216 023 (resized).JPGcanon121216 023 (resized).JPG

#18 6 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Icon-Headlamp/dp/B01LE9Z8PW/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

headlamp (resized).jpgheadlamp (resized).jpg

First tool I grab when working on pins - everytime.

#19 6 years ago

A little toonich is mostly always a nice little plus, and those bowlers can have
    some pretty tight bulb inserts, but those vari-acs (maybe that's how it's spelled),
    can be a huge asset. No more going to the (Bally for 50V, C.C. for 30) coin reject
    Relays to check out coils and motors..

IMG_1131 (resized).JPGIMG_1131 (resized).JPG

IMG_1130 (resized).JPGIMG_1130 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago

Pal Nut removal tool.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#21 6 years ago

Glass suction cup. 4 bucks at Harbor Freight. Great for removing a slide out backglass. Pull forward slightly while sliding glass out to prevent ink loss from light board scraping. Great for bingo glass.
    Also good for removing stuck playfield glass.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Glass suction cup. 4 bucks at Harbor Freight.

I remember using these (commercial grade) on a job placing in 6' X 10' tempered glass.
    Never would have thought it could be gotten for just a few bucks. Super handy to have.
    I remember getting in a pinball machine (Palooka I think) and someone jammed a 1/4"
    playfield glass (well the same width and length of a playfield glass) into it, and while struggling
    to get it out, I was thinking of those cups that I had once used..

#23 6 years ago

Since restoring an EM is 80% cleaning for me, my favorite tools are my cleaning and polishing supplies:

Bon Ami, Gain dishwashing soap, a toothbrush and a 3m Scotch Brite pad.

clean_with_gain_and_bon_ami (resized).jpgclean_with_gain_and_bon_ami (resized).jpg

Note: The rubbing and polishing compounds seen in the background have been retired from their EM cleaning duties.

Swisspers 100% Cotton Rounds, Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish and Mothers Carnauba wax. 500 grit sandpaper is good for removing rust and crud.

DSCF3196 (resized).JPGDSCF3196 (resized).JPG

Isopropyl alcohol, thousands of Q-Tips and...

Quoted from pinhead52:

wait for it, Nick and his dremel tool.

...yep, fairly new to my kit but use it and love it - Dremel with #443 1/8th inch carbon steel brushes!

DSCF2903 (resized).JPGDSCF2903 (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from singlezero:

A magnetizer/demagnitizer for screw drivers

One of my favorite accessories to pinball repair is a magnetic parts bowl. I often use the bottom of the bowl (the big magnet) to magnetize my screwdrivers if I'm working in a tight area and need to keep a screw on the tip of the driver. Just "swipe" the screwdriver on the bottom--always going in the same direction (never back and forth)--5 or 6 times to magnetize. I've found that my cheaper screwdrivers lose their magnetism over a couple of days/weeks, so its not a permanent thing either, which is nice.

#25 6 years ago

black-decker-drill-drivers-bdcs20c-64_1000 (resized).jpgblack-decker-drill-drivers-bdcs20c-64_1000 (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

All good selections so far! Had not seen the magnetized/demag “card” before. That could be cool... playfield disassembly is about 10 times faster than reassembly... because you have to hold all the damn screws in place and it’s crowded in some places.... I never can remember which screw driver is magnetized and it’s always changing, or seems like it!

#27 6 years ago

One of my favorites is the lighted Harbor Freight "Magnetic Flexible Pickup Tool" for snaking under the mech panel (with the assistance of a mirror) to reach the screws which elude my catcher towel.

#28 6 years ago

Lately for me, a tumbler.

Tumbler (resized).jpgTumbler (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

Some very good ideas in here I’ll have to use.
    Here’s one I use that not only helps me from losing small metal parts, but also acts as my screwdriver magnetizer when putting those small screws back in place. Just scrape the screwdriver a few times in the dish to magnetize it enough to hold those little screws.

B9F6043E-0739-4320-B190-237398C5B871 (resized).jpegB9F6043E-0739-4320-B190-237398C5B871 (resized).jpeg

#30 6 years ago

My brain. Best for logical troubleshooting. Followed closely by a flashlight, contact adjusters and burnishing tools. Sandpaper and the usual screwdrivers & nut drivers or 6 in 1 tool.

#31 6 years ago

2 of these - 1 for playfield/main cab, 1 for backbox. I. Need. Lots. Of. Light..

globe-electric-clamp-on-hand-helds-stand-up-6618701-64_1000 (resized).jpgglobe-electric-clamp-on-hand-helds-stand-up-6618701-64_1000 (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago

It is amazing how much you can accomplish with a flex stone, a couple screwdrivers and a switch adjuster.

#33 6 years ago

Don't forget this, best rust remover ever:

evapo-rust (resized).jpgevapo-rust (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago

This has turned out to be a pretty good tool as well

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/electro-mechanical

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

A little toonich is mostly always a nice little plus, and those bowlers can have
    some pretty tight bulb inserts, but those vari-acs (maybe that's how it's spelled),
    can be a huge asset. No more going to the (Bally for 50V, C.C. for 30) coin reject
    Relays to check out coils and motors..

Sweet Dimension Mopar

Quoted from Pecos:

Since restoring an EM is 80% cleaning for me, my favorite tools are my cleaning and polishing supplies:
    Bon Ami, Gain dishwashing soap, a toothbrush and a 3m Scotch Brite pad.

That was a OLD toothbrush Pecos right?

Quoted from mbaumle:

One of my favorite accessories to pinball repair is a magnetic parts bowl.

Harbor Freight right mbaumle ?

Mine what I use the most Microfiber cloth. Simple but always using them.

micro63358_zzz_500 (resized).jpgmicro63358_zzz_500 (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

The tool I wish they would invent is a lost part robot that searches my basement floor and finds the all the little pieces I drop. Especially those difficult to replace clips that like to go flying across the room.

#37 6 years ago

I like to call this tool "the persuader", use it all the time:

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-369-2-Inch-Leverage-Linesman/dp/B00004SBD6

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

The tool I wish they would invent is a lost part robot that searches my basement floor and finds the all the little pieces I drop. Especially those difficult to replace clips that like to go flying across the room.

They already do aahgo see below.

It is hand powered.

nail070-rms_300 (resized).jpgnail070-rms_300 (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago

This one little tool has saved me many times.

A44BD48E-D52D-4121-AA75-CF4E08129E3B (resized).pngA44BD48E-D52D-4121-AA75-CF4E08129E3B (resized).png

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

2 of these - 1 for playfield/main cab, 1 for backbox. I. Need. Lots. Of. Light..

I use one of those to flatten playfield plastics and it works exceptionally.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

If only those didn't break so easily....

#43 6 years ago

This is my favorite em tool. Many different uses and it's fun to use. (of course eye protection should always be worn when using it)

IMG_20180124_080937572 (resized).jpgIMG_20180124_080937572 (resized).jpg

#44 6 years ago

Novus, clip light, flexstone, socket cleaning stick and a electric screwdriver.

91+fdxUQ73L._SX355_ (resized).jpg91+fdxUQ73L._SX355_ (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from singlezero:

although not an essential i do like this on my work cart. A magnetizer/demagnitizer for screw drivers and dental hooks and what else have you . can be found for under 5 bucks

Used to love these little magnetizer tools, but last couple times I used mine, I couldn't magnetize it very well. Anybody else have this problem?

Really frustrated me because I hate having magnetized items when not needed. Can mess with some electronics plus attracts rust/shavings obviously..

#46 6 years ago

Some good stuff in this thread

My best EM tool not yet mentioned is my fiberglass eraser for cleaning contact points

https://www.eraser.com/products/fiberglass-brushes-erasers/e111c-metal-body-coarse-fybrglass-eraser-2/

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Used to love these little magnetizer tools, but last couple times I used mine, I couldn't magnetize it very well. Anybody else have this problem?
    Really frustrated me because I hate having magnetized items when not needed. Can mess with some electronics plus attracts rust/shavings obviously..

Just noticed my post was incorrect. I meant I could not DEmagetize tools.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Snorzel:

Some good stuff in this thread
    My best EM tool not yet mentioned is my fiberglass eraser for cleaning contact points
    https://www.eraser.com/products/fiberglass-brushes-erasers/e111c-metal-body-coarse-fybrglass-eraser-2/

Newb here... could someone explain when, how, why, where you would use these fiberglass erasers? Just for electronic work or do they have other uses? Before soldering, after? (Thanks)

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Newb here... could someone explain when, how, why, where you would use these fiberglass erasers? Just for electronic work or do they have other uses? Before soldering, after? (Thanks)

They work GREAT when doing board work to clean pads before soldering & anywhere else that needs a good pre-solder cleaning. Just make sure & have a bunch of extra tips on hand.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

They work GREAT when doing board work to clean pads before soldering & anywhere else that needs a good pre-solder cleaning. Just make sure & have a bunch of extra tips on hand.

Yeah. If used them lightly on some edge connectors or pads when an eraser etc isn't enough. Not too often and not on switch contacts etc as there are many good options and those finerglass sticks are a little pricey if I remember (compaired to other options).

Definitely handy to have around though. Last time I used one was on the car stereo on the connectors for removable faceplate that was getting flakey.

It is fiberglass, so watch the dust from them. Probably not good for eyes lungs, skin, etc.

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-favorite-em-tools?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.