Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpeg

#1 4 years ago

Does anyone know what the first game to award you for a combo was?

Did anyone think about the concept of combos before they were scored? Or did you only really care when they became part of the game rules? You almost can't make a game now without including them, but that wasn't always true.

And, just to keep it light and fun, what's your personal favorite combo?

Mine is hitting Super Vengeance on The Shadow. Really satisfying to nail all 4 shots while slapping the diverter buttons, and then hearing SUPER VENGEANCE IS YOURS!

#2 4 years ago

Love combo shots.

Viper Night Drivin is the favorite of all my machines, and it's the most satisfying too. I don't think it even registers as a combo, but you can loop it forever, but you won't because you need to be perfect to hit it even once.

#3 4 years ago

Does Dirty Pool in AFM count? So hard to do but so satisfying

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Does anyone know what the first game to award you for a combo was?

If I'm reading this correctly, according to this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-christmas-quiz-on-pinball-history#post-112973 it looks like Black Knight 2000 was the first to acknowledge a successful combo shot?

#5 4 years ago

And to answer the original question:

I see someone linked ST:TNG - good choice; I assume this is for the Picard maneuver, I agree that it's really satisfying to hit. Really, I am just a fan of games with good flow, so whether or not they're true "combos," I like being able to hit consecutive shots on the fly. White Water has a lot of fun ones, even just hitting multiple hazards in a row, or something simple but important like Spine Chiller to Insanity Falls. Johnny Mnemonic has combos for days; not really any specific named ones, but hearing "AGAIN!" when you're nailing a bunch of shots in a row is always fun.

#6 4 years ago

"First shot combo acknowledgement? Black Knight 2000, 1989
First (exact) 3-way shot combo? Whirlwind, 1990
First (exact) 4-way shot combo? Funhouse, 1990
First (exact) 5-way shot combo? Stargate, 1995
First more than 5-way shot combo? The Shadow, 1994???"

So really a product of the 90s.

#7 4 years ago

I always enjoyed getting a 3-way combo during Light Cycle multiball on Tron and having the crowd cheer for you.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

I always enjoyed getting a 3-way combo during Light Cycle multiball on Tron and having the crowd cheer for you.

Of course, End of the Line is really satisfying to hit too.

#9 4 years ago

- TAF 4-way combo
- Mustang left ramp to captive ball for Burnout Super Jackpot
- Loop-Turbo combo on Indy 500
- Sigma Bonus on Tommy (if you drain within 2m of the replay score, it'll award it for you)

#10 4 years ago

W-H-O loops on doctor who. Best three shot combo for sure.

#11 4 years ago

My favorite combo is pinball and beer.

#12 4 years ago

Whitewater 5 way combo.
Spine Chiller > Insanity > No Way Out > Insanity > Disaster Drop

#13 4 years ago

3 Way - WW
5 Way - SG
EOTL - Tron
Fuel lane and mystery scoop - Metallica ( Maybe not technically a combo but really satisfying during a CIU)

#14 4 years ago

Sweetest combo I ever pulled off (albeit "unacknowledged"):

Funhouse multiball starts. Rudy spits out first ball.

Second ball ejects from Hidden Hallway, straight shot into Trap Door for Jackpot (2 Mil).

Meanwhile first ball takes lucky bounce allowing ramp shot to reopen Trap Door!

Third ball ejects from Hallway, and BAM! Another Jackpot (3 Mil)! Suh-weet!

OT: Speaking of "Million Plus", in one recent game I had multiball going so long I collected Jackpots of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 Million!
So how am I going to beat that, I wonder? I then proceed to do it again the same game, this time all the way up to and including 8 Mil!

Final score: 75+ Million!

#15 4 years ago

Sour D and Dragonfly IPA.

#16 4 years ago

Dammit. Just scrolled up and saw NorCal already beat me to that one.
Fuck scrollin up.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

W-H-O loops on Doctor Who. Best three shot combo for sure.

Agreed! It just feels so good. I think part of the magic is that it isn't terribly difficult to perform one combo but performing 10 'O' loops and dropping that trap door to start a Sonic Boom W-H-O combo is just amazing and has the best sound effects ever!

I really really miss my Doctor Who. Every time I visit someone that has it I just sit on there for ages doing W-H-O combos.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from DoubleDanger:

Of course, End of the Line is really satisfying to hit too.

By far my favorite. Hold the left flipper and launch the ball to the upper flipper. Up the right ramp down to the left flipper. Through the pops to the upper flipper. Again right ramp to the left flipper. Slam it into the scoop! Tron, butter smooth!

#19 4 years ago

congo left ramp 3 times to light map then the diverter to to the left flipper then into lit map shot

#20 4 years ago

TSPP!
Lite Otto hit the orbit to collect, hit the treehouse ramp to behind the tv and then lock the couch.
If done right that racks up and ends bart's day, wiggum vs. snake, the treehouse bonus after 5 treehouse ramps, a new mode , the end of homer's day if i can start a couch multi that's a gnarly combo!

#21 4 years ago

Whirlwind 3 way combo for the air raid siren!

#22 4 years ago

BOP has great combos and cool SFX to compliment 4 in a row. What he said^^^^^^^^

#23 4 years ago

TZ 3-way combo shot. Left ramp, right ramp, piano...repeat. I know some say that combo gets repetitive, but not for me.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Sour D and Dragonfly IPA.

Replace the Sour D with maybe Girl Scout Cookies or Blue Dream and I feel you. I've got some Sour D here right now though.

Do people just love shooting the combos? Or is it the feedback that game gives you that matters?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

BOP has great combos and cool SFX to compliment 4 in a row. What he said^^^^^^^^

agreed! I love that sound when the 4 way happens!
Brutal to get the 4 way
but it doesn't pay out enough unless its the 2.0 code

#26 4 years ago

MOVE YOUR SHUTTLE!!

#27 4 years ago

Star Trek is a great combo pin. Love getting to enter my initials as a combo champion

#28 4 years ago

it may not be a combo but.....
on jack bot when multi-ball starts I love separating them and
double backhand for a super jackbot!

#29 4 years ago

Girl Scout Cookies would pretty much make it impossible for me to make combos. But, were that not the case, I firmly agree with renodakota: Otto to Living Room to TV to Couch feels sooooooo good.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

MOVE YOUR SHUTTLE!!

Ed...hurts a little to tell ya, but you probably already knew,...Chance is not returning.
Fucking sucks.

#32 4 years ago

My favorite is the Picard maneuver on STTNG.

#33 4 years ago

W-H-O

#34 4 years ago

oh,
we are 138! I don't how i got baked! We are 1 thirty baked baked baked baked baked baked

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ed...hurts a little to tell ya, but you probably already knew,...Chance is not returning.
Fucking sucks.

Andy from weedeater was a good filller but i agree the witch may be done as we know it

#36 4 years ago

weedeater is different and awesome
andy was in cannabis corpse sorry im hashtrashed

#37 4 years ago

my favorite combo .....

image.jpeg

#38 4 years ago

Yes, we love combos but not all combos are created equal. For me, a good combo has lots of changes. Most importantly sudden changes in direction and elevation but also speed and difficulty. Sound and light effects add cohesion and stimulation but the shots should feel satisfying even on a muted whitewood.

Quoted from Aurich:Replace the Sour D with maybe Girl Scout Cookies or Blue Dream and I feel you. I've got some Sour D here right now though.
Do people just love shooting the combos? Or is it the feedback that game gives you that matters?

#39 4 years ago

I love combo-ing ramps on AC/DC, Metallica, IM, etc. It's really hard to try to get 2 or 3 Bogey rounds going in a single game of IM!

#40 4 years ago

If you think about it, LOTR Destroy the Ring Mode is really just a required combo - and if you get them right in order thereby not wasting a lot of time then you get Champion Status on the DMD -> DTR really gets the blood pumping.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

If you think about it, LOTR Destroy the Ring Mode is really just a required combo - and if you get them right in order thereby not wasting a lot of time then you get Champion Status on the DMD -> DTR really gets the blood pumping.

Reminds me of starting Total Annihilation in Attack from Mars to get the 1 Billion Hurry-up which is pretty satisfying. Especially if you accidentally get one of the hurry ups going and then you're in a rush to fill up all the other shots to catch the Billion.

#42 4 years ago

Love combos. TAF, Dr Who, and ST come to mind as the most satisfying. I know most dmd games will give you combo points for hitting shots back to back but I love going for the combos in those games the most. ST doubles you shot value if shot on a combo. That really makes combos important on every shot - especially high scoring shots.

#43 4 years ago

Hard to beat Shadows, but I love SMs combos when you get him to wooooowoooooo! Like how it counts up higher and higher and how there is a combo champ for initials.

#44 4 years ago

Ooooo, almost forgot the combo (now combos) on Jurassic Park are super fun to hit.

#45 4 years ago

My favorite combo/string of shots is on XM. Cyclops to Storm to Iceman to Beast back up to Storm. It is a wicked fast barrage of shots.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 96.77
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 11.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside