(Topic ID: 6186)

What's your experience with Varathane Clear Coats?

By herbertbsharp

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by desiArnez
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4CCE30A7-F694-4027-8E10-55C0C1F941B7 (resized).jpeg
    DSC00045_1.jpg
    P1010076.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 12 years ago

I had good experiance with Varathane cans and not so good experience with Minwax cans. Might have been my application, prep or both, but I did pretty much the same thing with the Varathane and got very good results. The playfield on the left is with Minwax, you can see the cloudy look never cleared up. The right is of the old playfield. Had a ton of insert damage. That is what drove me to try it. Sanded and peeled the Minwax off and used Varathane. The blacks are very nice now. I tried the Varathane on the playfield too, but with mixed results. I had some big inserts with damage to fill and they came out a little milky. This was probably due to my application of clear in those areas. Will try to post a pic of the new mini and regular playfield soon. The mini playfield came out so nice, I just left it. No sanding or anything. Did not use the instructions on the can and went with the "Cliffy" method. Spray wait around 30 mins and spray again. I had a lot of touch ups and the Jackpot inserts were wrecked, so I think that is were my problems came from on the regular playfield. I would recommend Varathane, but not sure about Minwax.

P1010076.JPGP1010076.JPG

#21 12 years ago

This is the cloudy playfield as posted earlier, but sanded back down to paint and sprayed with Varathane rattle cans. It looked so good that I didn't even bother to sand the final coat. Have other pics of playfield, but having trouble posting them. Will try again later. DSC00045_1.jpgDSC00045_1.jpg

#24 12 years ago

Some people have good luck with Minwax, but I have tried it several times and got the cloudy look. Maybe I just had a bad batch to start with? For the Varathane rattle cans You will probably need to order it on line. I got mine from True Value. Maybe $8 a can? Don't remember. I would get one or two more cans than you need. I read somewhere that you should switch to a new can before you get to the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the can. The one thing I noticed with the cans is you will not get that auto clear deep shine. You can get a good coat on the playfield, but that thick glass like surface probably wont happen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-experience-with-varathan-clear-coats?tu=mes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.