(Topic ID: 199758)

What's your biggest theme disappointment?

By PismoArcade

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wamprat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper2 (resized).jpg
HobbitAnimated21 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
b45efa41300b83e029fae98d6b7b03091908b90c7da9f258c8b6c8eb6e2fd81c (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpeg
th (resized).jpg
2017-10-08-00-13-23- (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171007-232124 (resized).png
Backglass (resized).jpg
84143e425328202e3961c3d4dd101f88-d9pi5af (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
image-1 (resized).jpg
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow, I am seriously shocked at that! I've got to imagine the KISS name recognition (and vigilance of the KISS army) help them out a bit there. I don't feel like KISS has the shots and the cool factor that AS does. Not that I've played either of them extensively, I suppose

Kids had zero interest in Aerosmith. Adults had moderate interest. Both preferred KISS Prem when it came to dropping money in the machine. Aerosmith had the stern blades and looked about as enticing as it could. Didn't help.

KISS has almost the EXACT SAME SHOTS as Aerosmith. Toybox= Star Child Area, Center ramp=same, Right Ramp=same ramp on KISS, orbits almost the same except the left has one less pop bumper. Left scoop is moved slightly. It's a very slightly modified KISS with 6 ball at once multiball option rather than 3 ball with add-a-ball option.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Last October around this time a thread like this would have reeked of DI.
What a difference a year makes.

Really? Wouldn't that require people wanting and waiting for a theme about cell phones and then being disappointed. I can't say while dreaming about a new Star Wars or Jaws, I thought hmmm I hope when they release my dream theme "cell phones" they don't screw it up!

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

It's a Chicago Coin pinball game for Chrissake! Need I say more?

And they went on to become........ what?

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And they went on to become........ what?

Data East - Sega - Sega/Stern - Stern.

LTG : )

#155 6 years ago

You missed Stern.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You missed Stern.

You are right. Missed a Stern in there. I most humbly apologize for my pinball faux pas.

LTG : )

#157 6 years ago

No you're OK. As long as some of us have been around we're usually happy for what we do remember.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You missed Stern.

You mean Stern Electronics / Stern Seeburg. And it's not the same company as Data East / Sega / Stern Pinball.

#159 6 years ago

Yes, and they made Stars. Way better than what Chicago Coin had to offer. Unless you are looking for shooter games.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, and they made Stars. Way better than what Chicago Coin had to offer. Unless you are looking for shooter games.

I've seen / played very few CC pins, have only worked on one. But yes their shooting games were pretty good, not quite Midway or Williams good, but still good.

#161 6 years ago

Elvis, Dirty Harry

#162 6 years ago

stern star wars. i cancelled my order after playing one. im slowly starting to like it,but still so dissapointed with what it could of been.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Kids had zero interest in Aerosmith.

Nah man, Aerosmith is the bomb! Admittedly I had my doubts before I played it, but damn it's good. I actually love the theme. And my nephew (8 years old) is SUPER into Aerosmith (and KISS). I was looking after him tonight and he added Aerosmith to his Spotify playlist He's loving it!

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

Really? Wouldn't that require people wanting and waiting for a theme about cell phones and then being disappointed. I can't say while dreaming about a new Star Wars or Jaws, I thought hmmm I hope when they release my dream theme "cell phones" they don't screw it up!

I get what your saying, and it's funny. But anticipation is different than integration.

People were mostly disappointed by the theme itself, not the integration of the theme.

#165 6 years ago

Transformers, Avatar, Batman (Stern).

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from Danni_NZ:

Nah man, Aerosmith is the bomb! Admittedly I had my doubts before I played it, but damn it's good. I actually love the theme. And my nephew (8 years old) is SUPER into Aerosmith (and KISS). I was looking after him tonight and he added Aerosmith to his Spotify playlist He's loving it!

I'm not saying SOME kids can't like it, only that on location Aerosmith Prem was like Kryptonite to kids, while WoZ and XMEN were played a lot at the same location.

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from sparkaruss:

stern star wars. i cancelled my order after playing one. im slowly starting to like it,but still so dissapointed with what it could of been.

Even after the new update? I didn't like my LE when I first got it, but the update brought some sig changes
I like it much more. I have played it like 100 times and still have not blown up the death star.. argh!

#168 6 years ago

Its hard for me to decide. Game of Thrones was a massive disappointment. It is just such a complete miss visually, it is ok to play but fuck it's ugly and a complete waste of the theme. Star Wars comes along and its just as bad maybe even worse. After Game of Thrones it was no surprise they blew Star Wars so it was easier to take.

#169 6 years ago

Apollo 13 - seriously. I’m a huge NASA and space program fan. Jeez, I even have an Atari Lunar Lander arcade game. I got A13 and sold it less than a year.

Transformers - Not a big fan here. It’s okay at best.

Avengers - This one was a complete shock to me. It sucks so bad I usually just plunge and walk away from it before my game is over at shows. I had such visions of a Black Widow LE.

There are others, but these stood out for me.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

for me....The Hobbit. Owned one, tried to play it a lot....Had to force myself to play it......Stopped playing it.....Traded it for WOZ. Can't stop playing that one.

TH definitely seems to have a love hate relationship with players. I think it is outstanding, others feel that it isn't good at all (which I really don't understand but definitely hear so it is a real thing). WOZ is good, not quite as good to me as the TH, but good none the less. I have played Dialed In several times and it is good as well. JJP is batting 3 for 3 in my book. Looking forward to #4 for sure.

#171 6 years ago

This.
Basically a retheme. With a few, very few changes. So no thought was put into designing around the theme.
More like "how can we make this a SW pin?"
" I know a LCD screen and a death star". " Yeah that's the ticket!"

Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png

#172 6 years ago

Yeah it's a standard SR fan layout...basically they're all the same this is nothing new(ha).

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

TH definitely seems to have a love hate relationship with players. I think it is outstanding, others feel that it isn't good at all (which I really don't understand but definitely hear so it is a real thing). WOZ is good, not quite as good to me as the TH, but good none the less. I have played Dialed In several times and it is good as well. JJP is batting 3 for 3 in my book. Looking forward to #4 for sure.

I couldn't agree more...the more and more I play TH the more I appreciate...I much prefer over WOZ

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I couldn't agree more...the more and more I play TH the more I appreciate...I much prefer over WOZ

I would not trade my Hobbit for a WOZ, and there are some that would never trade their WOZ for Hobbit. Different strokes ... as the saying goes. Some have both (which isn't a bad idea)

As for theme and disappointment: I think Smaug was a bit of a let down, but overall the theme integration in TH is fantastic and certainly not a disappointment.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

This.
Basically a retheme. With a few, very few changes. So no thought was put into designing around the theme.

Not true. One is blue.

#176 6 years ago

Alien was the biggest let down for me. Great theme but layout seems clunky.

#177 6 years ago

Whoa Nellie!

Rethemed EM games are not original designed titles, regardless of improved artwork or updated electronics.
An EM game for price of a modern solid state machine as well.
No thanks, although I do like the backglass.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

This.

Just looking from that angle it could be a T3 or No Fear. I guess it is just the style of Steve Richie and if he is assigned the design that is what you get.

#179 6 years ago

Any game that starts with ST and ends in AR WARS has been a disappointment.

Actually I think Stern would have been better off putting out Data East Star Wars again. That was at least kinda fun even though it was a bit clunky. Heck, it could qualify as an LE today.

#180 6 years ago

Like others have said it's gotta be Game of Thrones and Star Wars. Favorite Tv show of all time and my favorite movies from my childhood. My expectations were way to high for both titles.

Game of Thrones... some of the best story telling we've seen in a long time. So many amazing moments in the show and they are nowhere to be found in the game. Feels like Dwight gathered up several GOT buzzwords and started coding. Dragon, Iron Throne, blackwater, Targaryen, Stark, Lannister, Hand of the King, Winter is coming.... ok I got it. Was hoping the game would draw you into this amazing story.

Star Wars... This one has been hashed over enough.

Wonder if a pinball company would allow us the buyers help them build a pinball machine. Use a system like UserVoice to track ideas and allow voting to help decide which features to go after. We could help with playfield design, art, coding ideas.

Or what if pinside as a whole planned a do it yourself pinball project? Surely we have enough talent and resources here to make this happen. No one profits from the project except where we source the materials from. I bet we could do it.

#181 6 years ago

Would be Bally's Mr and Mrs Pacman for me, prolly because I'm a video game nerd and was hoping for more from this pin.

#182 6 years ago

Is it too soon to talk about Predator?

#183 6 years ago

Sad to say.. the hobbit. My grail theme ruined by a useless third flipper. How that one made it past whitewood is irresponsible.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Sad to say.. the hobbit. My grail theme ruined by a useless third flipper. How that one made it past whitewood is irresponsible.

I agree, that 3rd flipper always drove me crazy. I'd use it a lot trying to figure out why it's there. Finally traded the whole dang machine for a WOZ, all 5 of those flippers have a purpose!

#185 6 years ago

I use the third flipper a lot. Perfect for nailing the captive ball, dwarf targets, and diverting to the left flipper instead of the right on left orbit shots. Really got used to it, and glad they kept it.

#186 6 years ago

Stern Star Wars and GOT were disappointing. Great themes as a standalone but not integrated into the games very well by Stern. Could have been much better.

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Sad to say.. the hobbit.

I was really hoping it would be themed after the original movie.

HobbitAnimated21 (resized).jpgHobbitAnimated21 (resized).jpg

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I agree, that 3rd flipper always drove me crazy. I'd use it a lot trying to figure out why it's there. Finally traded the whole dang machine for a WOZ, all 5 of those flippers have a purpose!

Which of the 6 WoZ flippers are you discounting as not having a purpose?

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Which of the 6 WoZ flippers are you discounting as not having a purpose?

WTF? What 6th flipper?

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Quoted from EricHadley:

Did you guys just play once and then bail? Hobbit's third flipper has a purpose. There are modes where you set up a shot to the upper flipper & then you can hit Smaug's targets with it. Sometimes one of his targets flashes light blue as the ball comes from the barrel bumpers - hit the blue shot! There's a Smaug flashback mode where you load the windlance from the right ramp, fire the ball to the upper flipper, then shoot Smaug with it.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

WTF? What 6th flipper?

Two flippers in the castle in my mind, one in reality
One flipper in munchkin loop
one flipper on upper right
Two flippers at bottom

Six flippers in my mind. Five in reality.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Did you guys just play once and then bail? Hobbit's third flipper has a purpose. There are modes where you set up a shot to the upper flipper & then you can hit Smaug's targets with it. Sometimes one of his targets flashes light blue as the ball comes from the barrel bumpers - hit the blue shot! There's a Smaug flashback mode where you load the windlance from the right ramp, fire the ball to the upper flipper, then shoot Smaug with it.

My problem is that Hobbit rules look great on paper with all the features and shots and multi-purpose drop target bank shots, but it just wasn't fun. Most of the differences were happening on the screen, which you can't watch much while you're playing and the stuff you're interacting with on the Hobbit playfield is a whole lotta same.

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

but it just wasn't fun

To you.

To me, it's the only game post-Metallica that's absolutely compelling.

It's a "quest game" ...it's not for everyone, it's not for tournaments, it's not for flow-hoes... but if you want an amazing cinematic experience with brilliant music, lighting and sound design, and a crazy amount of modes that are all pretty different - nothing tops Hobbit.

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Two flippers in the castle
One flipper in munchkin loop
one flipper on upper right
Two flippers at bottom
Six flippers.

PinMonk What version of WOZ do you have with two flippers on the castle playfield?

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballBJB:

vireland What version of WOZ do you have with two flippers on the castle playfield?

Haha! My improved WoZ 2017. I was sure there were two on the castle in my mind.

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Haha! My improved WoZ 2017. I was sure there were two on the castle in my mind.

I'll confess I wish there were two up there a lot of the time! The Rescue Dorothy multi-ball is somehow one of the hardest things for me to do in the game.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I use the third flipper a lot. Perfect for nailing the captive ball, dwarf targets, and diverting to the left flipper instead of the right on left orbit shots. Really got used to it, and glad they kept it.

Yes, I get that, but you can hit all that from the other 2 flippers also......That 3rd really has no purpose

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

To you.
To me, it's the only game post-Metallica that's absolutely compelling.
It's a "quest game" ...it's not for everyone, it's not for tournaments, it's not for flow-hoes... but if you want an amazing cinematic experience with brilliant music, lighting and sound design, and a crazy amount of modes that are all pretty different - nothing tops Hobbit.

The problem I have with Hobbit is that I can play seemingly for ever on ball one, go through a bunch of modes, multiballs, and score endless jackpots, but when I finally drain, it feels like I haven't really accomplished much and my score seems disappointing.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So basically a video game with flippers. Made for video gamers turned pinballers.

#199 6 years ago

Modern Era Pinball without question...Stern Star Wars

Other older notables - Gilligan's Island, X-Files!

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Modern Era Pinball

Nailed it!

But I think we can drop the "modern" part now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 21.50
$ 10.95
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-biggest-theme-disappointment/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.