(Topic ID: 199758)

What's your biggest theme disappointment?

By PismoArcade

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wamprat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper2 (resized).jpg
HobbitAnimated21 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
b45efa41300b83e029fae98d6b7b03091908b90c7da9f258c8b6c8eb6e2fd81c (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpeg
th (resized).jpg
2017-10-08-00-13-23- (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171007-232124 (resized).png
Backglass (resized).jpg
84143e425328202e3961c3d4dd101f88-d9pi5af (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
image-1 (resized).jpg
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 6 years ago

Luckily for me the themes they are putting out these days I'm not obsessive over so it doesn't really matter.
GB I didn't like so i sold it...not a big deal and I didn't feel like it personally wronged me in some weird way.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

have you played any circa 2010+ games or owned any?...owned any JJP games? they clearly have taken pinball to another level.

I play them all. And Dialed In is about the only one I can relate to. The theme is new to me. But that's what I like in a new pinball game.

#103 6 years ago

For older themes Dirty Hairy and Terminator 2 did not do it for me. The art was bad and didn't like the game play.

#104 6 years ago

Star Wars... I'm borderline angry about that one lol

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

....for me, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball.

Seriously?!

Quoted from o-din:

Yeah well I'm young enough to have watched Gunsmoke with my grandma and look what pinball gave us. Where the hell is Festus and Marshall Dillon?

It's a Chicago Coin pinball game for Chrissake! Need I say more?

Quoted from ToucanF16:

Wow, all this talk no one has mentioned TBL! Simply for the fact it hasn't been delivered as promised.

TBL isn't an example of "theme disappointment". To the contrary, the game's integration of theme is great! Because of this, Dutch Pinball's failure to deliver the game as promised is even more disappointing, but that's a separate matter.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

TBL isn't an example of "theme disappointment". To the contrary, the game's integration of theme is great! Because of this, Dutch Pinball's failure to deliver the game as promised is even more disappointing, but that's a separate matter.

Couldn't agree more with this, lower playfield bowling alley, upper playfield car park, car bash toy, rug, the white russian, fantastic artwork, call outs, narrator - just superb theme integration. So sad what happened.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ghostbusters. Best theme ever turned into the worst game ever.

What? No way! Do tell!!

#108 6 years ago

Dear Stern,

Thanks for ruining:

Transformers

Game of Thrones

Batman Dark Knight

Xmen

The Walking Dead

Indiana Jones

Star Wars

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

It's this one for me. It's not that bad.

Yes it is that bad.

#110 6 years ago

Avengers and Hobbit.....and I have both of them.
Avengers is too clunky and The Hobbit isn't clunky enough!

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Star Wars... I'm borderline angry about that one lol

b45efa41300b83e029fae98d6b7b03091908b90c7da9f258c8b6c8eb6e2fd81c (resized).jpgb45efa41300b83e029fae98d6b7b03091908b90c7da9f258c8b6c8eb6e2fd81c (resized).jpg

#112 6 years ago

As someone who grew up with the Transformers, I expected a pin to rock. It doesn't.

The first modern Stern I played was The Rolling Stones. I expected a modern pin based on music to rock too. But it didn't.

#113 6 years ago

Avengers for Stern
Hobbit for JJP

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't know man, I think Bally pretty much nailed it.

I remember being really excited to see the Star Trek pin as a kid when it was first released particularly with all the crew characters on the back glass.

That turned to complete disappointment when I heard the crap sounds. I was expecting all the music and sound effects from the TV series not some random bleeps.

Expectations a little high for 1979

#115 6 years ago

oof...Star Wars is getting pounded.

Maybe it's just me but I really enjoy playing SW. I'm not a fan of the films either.

I also forgot to add Popeye and Jetsons to my original post.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

24 - for one of the best show's ever on tv, the pin drops the ball big time. No custom speech from Jack Bauer. It just feels so generic and dissconnected from the theme.

I love my 24, and actually think it is well integrated. I love the hurry ups and wide open playfield. I also love my CSI and think it is a well integrated theme.

Most disappointing to me is Hobbit and Star Wars. I still have not given up completely on Star Wars, I am hoping it will improve and grow on me. WWE does nothing for me.

Probably need to mention Jetsons as well-huge money grabbing failure with theme integration-imo.

#117 6 years ago

Aerosmith. When I heard it was coming out, I was 100% going to buy it. But it’s just too similar to KISS. Even after playing it on location a few times, I was disappointed. It’s a shame because I love Aerosmith and love music themed pins.

#118 6 years ago

Rollercoaster Tycoon! It's a great, fun concept, how did it wind up so dry and corporate? What a mess.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Evel Knievel. The one game that would obviously have ramps. NO RAMPS! THERE ARE NO RAMPS ON AN EVEL KNIEVEL PINBALL MACHINE!!

I never thought about this. Yeah, this was stupid, I'm now mad about it. It needs re-made with air-borne balls over crashing ramps and skid mark magnets.

#120 6 years ago

A lot of people were disappointed with the newer IJ since the B/W was so awesome.

I wonder how many of them will buy the new Elvira pin sight unseen?

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

be lined up around the block.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

be lined up around the block.

Even if it's another B'66 $15k with an application buncha bullshit?

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I love my 24, and actually think it is well integrated. I love the hurry ups and wide open playfield. I also love my CSI and think it is a well integrated theme.
Most disappointing to me is Hobbit and Star Wars. I still have not given up completely on Star Wars, I am hoping it will improve and grow on me. WWE does nothing for me.
Probably need to mention Jetsons as well-huge money grabbing failure with theme integration-imo.

24 isn't even in the same league as the Hobbit....SW has been a big disappointment yet enjoyable

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Even if it's another B'66 $15k with an application buncha bullshit?

Oh no I was thinking just a normal release....Elvira is another one of those weird runs? You'd probably have a good chunk of people to buy them right away, whcih is all they need what that cost I guess?

#125 6 years ago

Oh, and BM 66 is absolute junk in my opinion.

#126 6 years ago

Gotta go with Popeye.

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Only put a hand full of games on Batman 66 on location. I did not really know any rules . The is not rule card on machine even the basics not sure why . I did complete / collect Bat Girl mode and put her in jail. The film clips were cool on the LCD . Very fun mode . Left a good impression on me. I will add that the location Batman 66 almost all inserts had bad crazing . And for compare value . They have JJP The Hobbit . Every single insert had crazing as well on Hobbit . An both ramp flaps were curled up off the playfield on hobbit .

#128 6 years ago

I wonder, why GoT is voted so often.
OK, the art is not brilliant (Translite like the old Gottliebs for example) but the theme integration is more than only OK.
For me as a huge fan of the show i am absolutely not disappointed.
Maybe i am the Minority-man......

#129 6 years ago

Last October around this time a thread like this would have reeked of DI.

What a difference a year makes.

#130 6 years ago

Pirates of the Caribbean.

I actually like the game just fine, the ship is a cool toy, and the Tortuga multi ball is really fun, but I was disappointed how generic it was, and especially that it was totally lacking the movie soundtrack (licensing, I know... fixable now thanks to Pinball Browser!) and the super generic call outs with the occasional terrible Jack Sparrow impersonation.

There are worse games (Stern IJ, I'm looking at you) but I feel like Pirates really missed the theme.

#131 6 years ago

Stern IJ

JJP TH

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Metengo:

I wonder, why GoT is voted so often.
OK, the art is not brilliant (Translite like the old Gottliebs for example) but the theme integration is more than only OK.
For me as a huge fan of the show i am absolutely not disappointed.
Maybe i am the Minority-man......

Your not, GOT is awesome. So many ways to attack and play this game. Sure the playfield art mediocre but you don't play the art, you play the game/shots.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Evel Knievel. The one game that would obviously have ramps. NO RAMPS! THERE ARE NO RAMPS ON AN EVEL KNIEVEL PINBALL MACHINE!!

Well, if you're nitpicking this, Dolly Parton was out about the same time and didn't even have two saucers next to each other to lock balls in. I mean, they have the place for them on the left of the PF. Theme fail.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

A lot of people were disappointed with the newer IJ since the B/W was so awesome.

Everyone

Quoted from Rondogg:

Depends on how much worse Stern's cost cutting/BoM cutting gets. But probably less people than would have 3 years ago before Ghostbusters PF ghosting and cabinet splitting, etc. I'll wait and see. Premium is fine after they're out. I don't think I'm alone with the wait-and-see method.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Aerosmith. When I heard it was coming out, I was 100% going to buy it. But it’s just too similar to KISS. Even after playing it on location a few times, I was disappointed. It’s a shame because I love Aerosmith and love music themed pins.

I'd encourage you to play it again - it's got a lot more going for it than KISS

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'd encourage you to play it again - it's got a lot more going for it than KISS

Disagree. Outside of the Elevator Multiball intro and (maybe) the toybox gimmick, KISS Prem is the better game at the moment. Scoring makes more sense and has more multiball modes, too. I'm not alone - Aerosmith Prem was a dog on location on the route I help with. Earned less than XMEN LE (which is more popular than one would imagine).

#137 6 years ago

If the key phrase is "epic fail" then it's easy

Magic Girl, epic turd

At least you can play all the other games mentioned

#138 6 years ago

Rob zombie......jetsons......to home brew for me....

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Disagree. Outside of the Elevator Multiball intro and (maybe) the toybox gimmick, KISS Prem is the better game at the moment. Scoring makes more sense and has more multiball modes, too. I'm not alone - Aerosmith Prem was a dog on location on the route I help with. Earned less than XMEN LE (which is more popular than one would imagine).

From a "fun" perspective or an earnings perspective?

#140 6 years ago

for me....The Hobbit. Owned one, tried to play it a lot....Had to force myself to play it......Stopped playing it.....Traded it for WOZ. Can't stop playing that one.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

for me....The Hobbit. Owned one, tried to play it a lot....Had to force myself to play it......Stopped playing it.....Traded it for WOZ. Can't stop playing that one.

Funny I felt the same way about my WOZ...now the only people who play it are the kids....TH is epic

#142 6 years ago

Avengers easily wins - I want to LOVE that game so desparately but I just don't.... I think that it had the potential to be great (a different and creative layout, the hulk seems fun and inventive, tesseract etc) but there are just so many miscues in the game it seems like it never got beyond the initial rough draft layout of design....Breaks my heart to this day.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

tell us the truth, how do you really feel?

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

From a "fun" perspective or an earnings perspective?

If you have a KISS Prem to compare directly with, KISS Prem is more fun than Aerosmith, IMO. Aerosmith not having band callouts hurts the experience, too. From an earnings perspective, KISS positively KILLED Aerosmith at the locations I help with on route. The main reason it only lasted about 3 months. The new game bump barely lasted a month. Playfield finish was gorgeous on the Aerosmith Premiums, though. Can't fault that.

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Example: People love Star Wars, and they think Stern is gonna pull out all the stops, and then everyone has such lofty expectations, that anything

I don't think people were mad that Stern didn't pull out all of the stops ... It was more like they added stops and jacked up the price. I really like the game, but it is not an $8500 machine!!!

#146 6 years ago

When TH was unveiled at Expo a few years ago I was disappointed as well. Literally walked away shaking my head. How could such a deep awesome trilogy be summed up in such a bare playfield?

Bought WOZ. Was so impressed with JJP quality and innovation that I decided to take another look at TH.

Bought the game, learned the rules and fell in love. The rule set is a masterpiece in my opinion. The way the targets interplay throughout the 31 modes is genius. This is a battle game, just like the trilogy. To fill the playfield with toys trying to represent nine hours worth of film might have done it an injustice. Create strategy and make us work for it. I think it was an awesome concept

Couple this with solid shots, beautiful artwork and a display that is best in class and you have my favorite game after 25 years of collecting.

Just my opinion of course and respect that many pinheads feel differently. But with all the votes, I wanted to provide the alternate perspective. Have had my share of A+ titles and simply love this machine.

#147 6 years ago

Iron Maiden... it should have been about the band
Stern Star Wars... initially at least, it just hasn't wowed me like I expected it to
Streetfighter 2... epic videogame, epic pinball fail
Stern KISS... this should have been fantastic and it's a huge bummer
Austin Powers... such great movies and source material, I liked the look and style, but the game was a bummer
Avatar... just what it could have been

#148 6 years ago

Big Dick. I expected more toys. :O

#149 6 years ago

X/Men
IJ Stern
Avengers
GoT

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you have a KISS Prem to compare directly with, KISS Prem is more fun than Aerosmith, IMO. Aerosmith not having band callouts hurts the experience, too. From an earnings perspective, KISS positively KILLED Aerosmith at the locations I help with on route. The main reason it only lasted about 3 months. The new game bump barely lasted a month. Playfield finish was gorgeous on the Aerosmith Premiums, though. Can't fault that.

Wow, I am seriously shocked at that! I've got to imagine the KISS name recognition (and vigilance of the KISS army) help them out a bit there. I don't feel like KISS has the shots and the cool factor that AS does. Not that I've played either of them extensively, I suppose

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 10.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-biggest-theme-disappointment/page/3?hl=metengo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.