(Topic ID: 199758)

What's your biggest theme disappointment?

By PismoArcade

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wamprat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper2 (resized).jpg
HobbitAnimated21 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
b45efa41300b83e029fae98d6b7b03091908b90c7da9f258c8b6c8eb6e2fd81c (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpeg
th (resized).jpg
2017-10-08-00-13-23- (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171007-232124 (resized).png
Backglass (resized).jpg
84143e425328202e3961c3d4dd101f88-d9pi5af (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
image-1 (resized).jpg
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago

Game of thrones

#52 6 years ago

I don't know man, I think Bally pretty much nailed it.

Backglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpg

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

My game is on route so I really don't have much skin in the game other than the coin box which has been speaking for itself lately. I'm just curious as to what could've been done better in your mind? I agree there are limited toys and when I look at my other recent sterns I've purchased I feel like star wars definitely feels cheap. Until... I switch it on and play. Once I play a game I get so immersed I don't notice the lack of toys. Just curious how others feel.

I've heard many people say unsolicited that they feel like playing Star Wars pinball is like playing a generic pinball machine with the Star Wars movies on the TV in the background. Playing the game doesn't feel much like a Star Wars game. Outside the Death Star toy and a bobblehead Tie Fighter, nothing on the game represents Star Wars. The clips are the main theme integration in the game and they are great quality, but when playing you can't look up to appreciate many of them. Having the two ends of a single semi circle shot account for two major locations in the films is unnecessary, they should be important independent shots. Endor, another huge location, is just one of the easiest ramps in all of pinball to hit. Three huge locations in the universe and important shots in the game, but none of them feel or look very important or special, even the Death Star shot unless you are playing a premium or LE. The only location that feels like it is somewhat important and a little unique is Tatooine and that is the one shot you never really shoot for the way the game is designed. It's getting better, but at especially at first I felt that original statement was true. Lightsaber duel for instance is a great step in the right direction, by integrating the movies with unique gameplay and custom video during the game. The game is fun, the code is good and I have no doubt it does well on route based on title alone, but the theme integration is a big miss IMHO.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, when I'm thinking 4 Horsemen I'm picturing something like this.

I figured, just ribbing you

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know this wasn't the question, but I've been pretty disappointed with most of the pinball themes lately.
It's one thing to be nostalgic about pinball, but turning modern pinball into a nostalgic novelty is a joke.

Then why did you buy BM66?

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

#57 6 years ago

Biggest recent disappointments were SW, GB, GOT, and Mustang.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

To learn my lesson one more time. Hopefully the last time...

And actually it did nail the theme. The theme from 50 years ago... 50... 50 years! Is that what pinball is now?

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah well I'm young enough to have watched Gunsmoke with my grandma and look what pinball gave us. Where the hell is Festus and Marshall Dillon?
Pinball's always been cutting corners with it's licensed themes and today we are getting ripped off more than ever.

It's funny - Gun Smoke instead of Gunsmoke.

If you never have - download the original radio series with William Conrad. That shit was real back in the fifties.

#60 6 years ago

Super Mario Bros

#61 6 years ago

At the rate we're going there will be another Gunsmoke pinball machine coming out in the next couple years.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't know man, I think Bally pretty much nailed it.

Happy u think so, but most of the "old school" games bore me....

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Happy u think so, but most of the "old school" games bore me....

Yeah, but we're talking about when it was new. Bally was the shit. It wasn't old school then. Well the theme was ten years old, but that's recent by today's standards.

What is old now is just about every recent theme. I don't think we should even call it "modern" pinball anymore. Until it actually is.

#64 6 years ago

Batman 66
Stern Star wars

Why? It's clear that they pick a theme, slap it on a design. Through a few toys in and worry about what to actually put in it gameplay wise after its released. Then somehow try to tie the theme into what they made. Otherwise games would be released mostly finished. Not with place holders and missing modes.

No direction ahead of time. So no real theme integration. The machine does not tell a story. Or progress logically throughout the story.
It feels more like of a commercial for the theme. Or a cut and pasted trailer.

Stern needs to get teams of people together. And let them work on a single game. Start to finish. Not multiple games at once. Hash out ideas of what to put into that game. Before it's built. And then design the game around those ideas and impliment code in it virtually at the same time.

All this can be done digitally. Before they even make a prototype.

Maybe they do this already. But if they do, WTF?

There are people designing 1 off games with better theme integration and more fluid code that the #1 pinball designing company in the world.
Again WTF?

Screenshot_20171007-232124 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171007-232124 (resized).png

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I've heard many people say unsolicited that they feel like playing Star Wars pinball is like playing a generic pinball machine with the Star Wars movies on the TV in the background. Playing the game doesn't feel much like a Star Wars game. Outside the Death Star toy and a bobblehead Tie Fighter, nothing on the game represents Star Wars. The clips are the main theme integration in the game and they are great quality, but when playing you can't look up to appreciate many of them. Having the two ends of a single semi circle shot account for two major locations in the films is unnecessary, they should be important independent shots. Endor, another huge location, is just one of the easiest ramps in all of pinball to hit. Three huge locations in the universe and important shots in the game, but none of them feel or look very important or special, even the Death Star shot unless you are playing a premium or LE. The only location that feels like it is somewhat important and a little unique is Tatooine and that is the one shot you never really shoot for the way the game is designed. It's getting better, but at especially at first I felt that original statement was true. Lightsaber duel for instance is a great step in the right direction, by integrating the movies with unique gameplay and custom video during the game. The game is fun, the code is good and I have no doubt it does well on route based on title alone, but the theme integration is a big miss IMHO.

Ok I can agree with your assessment. I guess I don't really think that deeply about it. I'm more like OMFG it's star wars sounds when I hit shots and movies on the screen!! When taking it a step deeper as far as theme integration I can see how many could be disappointed.

#66 6 years ago

Stern: Playfield art/them integration. GOT, ST, SW. I'm NOT disappointed in game play though.
Stern: GB Just can't get over that wide flipper gap. Love the game but to many SDTM.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

It's clear that they pick a theme, slap it on a design. Through a few toys in and worry about what to actually put in it gameplay wise after its released. Then somehow try to tie the theme into what they made. Otherwise games would be released mostly finished. Not with place holders and missing modes.

No direction ahead of time. So no real theme integration. The machine does not tell a story. Or progress logically throughout the story.
It feels more like of a commercial for the theme. Or a cut and pasted trailer.

This.

Not only do they pick outdated themes, but if you buy one, then it just becomes an unplayable piece of ugly furniture until they decide what rules to implement if any at all. And by then, if you are like me, you are tired of looking at it and over it.

It just shows how stupid we can be, myself included for getting excited over a colorful empty box and handing over our hard earned dollars for them.

I aint playing that game no more.

#68 6 years ago

sw was a big disappoinment for many people. the le especially, nothing really different than the premium. current owners will disagree but we expected alot more especially with the le. that tie fighter on a spring sucks, the death star lol a big fat joke. some 50.00 wireform loop and different art and 3 different backglass big fn deal. le epic fail!
so color dmd is the primary focus of new games ? please go back to a orange dmd!

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

different art and 3 different backglass big fn deal. le epic fail!

If only. 3 different translights. No backglass.

#70 6 years ago

WWE

#71 6 years ago

For me Hobbit, but not only the pin; the movies themselves were horrible. I thought maybe the pin could make up for it.

#72 6 years ago

SW. The least amount of mechanical theme integration since RFM. Not a single magnet on a game about using the force (removed from design because of cost). Biggest disappointment is how many rave and rave about it being the best game ever which will ensure future pins with less and less are sure to follow.

#73 6 years ago

Hands down, Jetsons, epic fail. Why did tbey even bother? Had high hopes, cabinet looks good, thats about it, nice cabinet.

#74 6 years ago

Starwars, still kind of want one though lol..

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

so color dmd is the primary focus of new games ?

The public got what the public demanded and the rest as they say is....... history.

#76 6 years ago

Star Wars isn't a bad game but it doesn't really feel like Star Wars. It feels like a racing game (Getaway 3?) reskinned as Star Wars.

That is why I'm disappointed. No real theme integration (zero magnets for force effects). The game itself is solid. It just doesn't feel like Star Wars.

#77 6 years ago

24 - for one of the best show's ever on tv, the pin drops the ball big time. No custom speech from Jack Bauer. It just feels so generic and dissconnected from the theme. If any game deserves TWD custom sound treatment it's 24.

X-files - bought this being a huge fan of the show. Problem is the gameplay just does not hold up to other games at the time. Sound is bad. Rules are not great. And the build quality was also poor. Horrible home game that did not last long for me, and I really wanted to like it.

#78 6 years ago

I mean, the game sucks, but I thought the integration with the theme was actually pretty thoughtful on WWE.

#79 6 years ago

I’m really getting sick of the Star Wars stuff. Data East/Sega/Stern is obsessed with that theme. Love the Data East one! The theme is just unappealing and overrated to me.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Stern Star Wars.....

X 10000 this

#81 6 years ago

Sorry if your a Star Wars fan! It’s cool if you like the movies but I just see it everywhere though.

#82 6 years ago

Game of Thrones. That title was a stone cold lock for me, but when they revealed the lame playfield art and uninspired layout, it was suddenly a pass.

Star Wars was also a disappointment, but it wasn't a dream theme for me like GoT.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Game of Thrones. That title was a stone cold lock for me, but when they revealed the lame playfield art and uninspired layout, it was suddenly a pass.
Star Wars was also a disappointment, but it wasn't a dream theme for me like GoT.

I agree. The GOT art is super bland

#84 6 years ago

It's this one for me. It's not that bad. Just could have been so much better.

66 ways they could have made this game better.

2017-10-08-00-13-23- (resized).jpg2017-10-08-00-13-23- (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago

Wow, all this talk no one has mentioned TBL! Simply for the fact it hasn't been delivered as promised.

#86 6 years ago

Dirty Harry.

I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan. A big Dirty Harry fan.

It's a pretty good game. But when I saw the pastel colors on the cabinet sides, I was like what the "F" ?

LTG : )

#87 6 years ago

Wait a minute they made a Big Lebowski pinball!

#88 6 years ago

Stern WrestleMania. The ring gimmick up top was a whacky thought that just doesn't work well in my opinion. So bummed, I am a huge wrestling fan! And to top it off, the code doesn't save it.

#89 6 years ago

Austin Powers

South Park

Shrek (but note, not Family Guy, just Shrek for being Family Guy in a green cabinet)

Jetsons

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Wait a minute they made a Big Lebowski pinball!

Nah, they made like 15 of them.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

when I saw the pastel colors on the cabinet sides, I was like what the "F" ?

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#92 6 years ago

Evel Knievel. The one game that would obviously have ramps. NO RAMPS! THERE ARE NO RAMPS ON AN EVEL KNIEVEL PINBALL MACHINE!!

#93 6 years ago

Spoiled kids and their toys.

th (resized).jpegth (resized).jpeg

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Stern WrestleMania. The ring gimmick up top was a whacky thought that just doesn't work well in my opinion. So bummed, I am a huge wrestling fan! And to top it off, the code doesn't save it.

Disagree....the code makes a world of difference...WWE is hands down better then WWF...

#95 6 years ago

The Rolling Stones

Both versions.

#96 6 years ago

Dominos. I remember when they had good pizza.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Dominos. I remember when they had good pizza.

Seriously! I was just having a conversation with my brother about this the other night. They used to be the best pizza you could get as far as delivery. Now they just suck! What happened?

#98 6 years ago

I hope Domino isn't as disappointing. I ordered one last week.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, but we're talking about when it was new. Bally was the shit. It wasn't old school then. Well the theme was ten years old, but that's recent by today's standards.
What is old now is just about every recent theme. I don't think we should even call it "modern" pinball anymore. Until it actually is.

I agree they had some nice games, but have you played any circa 2010+ games or owned any?...owned any JJP games? they clearly have taken pinball to another level.

#100 6 years ago

Cyclone.

I'm expecting foul weather and instead I get Ronald Reagan on a roller coaster and a clown. I mean WTF?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 21.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-biggest-theme-disappointment/page/2?hl=joe_schmoe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.