What's your biggest theme disappointment?

(Topic ID: 199758)

What's your biggest theme disappointment?

By PismoArcade

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Wamprat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

flipper2 (resized).jpg
HobbitAnimated21 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171010-005748 (resized).png
b45efa41300b83e029fae98d6b7b03091908b90c7da9f258c8b6c8eb6e2fd81c (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpeg
th (resized).jpg
2017-10-08-00-13-23- (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171007-232124 (resized).png
Backglass (resized).jpg
84143e425328202e3961c3d4dd101f88-d9pi5af (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
image-1 (resized).jpg

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 1 year ago

Finally something that you're passionate about is picked as the next theme for a pin. You're gonna buy it!

Yet, when it's released, you consider it an epic fail.

For my wife, 24....for me, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball.

#4 1 year ago

Brace yourself OP, Avengers fans will be here shortly.

#5 1 year ago

For me It would be Lord Of The Rings. OK I know, "What No Way" I just couldn't get past Path of the Dead. It bugged me. Plus it didn't take me long to see everything the game had to offer. The call outs were great and I loved the movies, just to repetitive.
I will play one in the arcade but I just don't need to own one.

#6 1 year ago

Star wars and the hobbit.

#7 1 year ago

Make a poll, and I bet Stern's SW will get at least double of all the other votes combined!

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

For me It would be Lord Of The Rings. OK I know, "What No Way" I just couldn't get past Path of the Dead. It bugged me. Plus it didn't take me long to see everything the game had to offer. The call outs were great and I loved the movies, just to repetitive.
I will play one in the arcade but I just don't need to own one.

What?!? No way!!

#9 1 year ago

I know this wasn't the question, but I've been pretty disappointed with most of the pinball themes lately.

It's one thing to be nostalgic about pinball, but turning modern pinball into a nostalgic novelty is a joke.

#10 1 year ago

I get why people will say TH, it's the first JJP with the screen; they kinda went overboard on the screen vs what's happening on the PF...

For me it's Avengers, X-Men, and Stern Indiana Jones; much less fun than Hobbit, IMO.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Plus it didn't take me long to see everything the game had to offer.

I could probably own one for a year and still never see Valinor

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know this wasn't the question, but I've been pretty disappointed with most of the pinball themes lately.
It's one thing to be nostalgic about pinball, but turning modern pinball into a nostalgic novelty is a joke.

Can you define what you mean by a "nostalgic novelty" ? Do you mean that you're disappointed that most themes are 20/30/40 years old ?

#13 1 year ago

Yes.

#14 1 year ago

Star Wars -
Hobbit

#15 1 year ago

Stern star wars or game of thrones

Off theme alone I thought on both games id sell my Star trek to fund it but lack luster art and theme intergration stopped me.

#16 1 year ago

Ghostbusters. Best theme ever turned into the worst game ever.

#17 1 year ago

This is like 40 years after the fact, The Six Million Dollar Man. The pin is all about jets and the like, but after the first 20 minutes of the pilot, that was a minimal part of the TV show.

#18 1 year ago

SURFIN' SAFARI

I fxxing alligator in an inner tube? WTF

#20 1 year ago

Stern Indiana Jones is the most epic fail of a blockbuster license ever, hands down.

I would have to agree with those that have said Star Wars and Hobbit though too. With the subject matter there was to work with on those, to get those games how they were delivered is a real shame.

#21 1 year ago
#22 1 year ago

Those of you saying star wars I encourage you to actually play one. The newest code is amazing and the game captures the world under glass feel perfectly. You won't be disappointed. Don't get caught up in the hype of how many dolls are glued to the playfield = how good the game is.

#24 1 year ago

Star Wars is epic. Still not getting the hate. It's Hobbit for me. Or Captain Fantastic.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Those of you saying star wars I encourage you to actually play one. The newest code is amazing and the game captures the world under glass feel perfectly. You won't be disappointed. Don't get caught up in the hype of how many dolls are glued to the playfield = how good the game is.

I think most people have at least played the Pro.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I played it. I was disappointed. It's *okay*, but it's STAR WARS! With MOUNTAINS of source material and rich mythology, it should have been epic like Williams Indy! It's not supposed to be *okay*. This was supposed to break the crappy Star Wars pin curse, and ended up being the best of the mediocre Star Wars pins we have.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Quoted from Mike_J:

I think most people have at least played the Pro.

I defy any Pinsider to come to my house, play my SWLE, and say it's not a fully immersive, challenging, and altogether wonderful game.

Full disclosure: jkashani did, but came the day after I took it out of the box. It was still being tweaked and had tons of cheap drains - that doesn't happen anymore.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Do you mean that you're disappointed that most themes are 20/30/40 years old ?

I think the problem is more about people setting impossibly high standards for their dream theme. Example: People love Star Wars, and they think Stern is gonna pull out all the stops, and then everyone has such lofty expectations, that anything less would be a disappointment, even if Star Wars really isn’t a bad game at all (I actually like it).

Same thing with Ghostbusters (especially with the magnificent hype train people were riding when it was leaked). I think the one game that did the opposite of that was Dialed In. People saw it, hated it, but then later played it, and loved it since the original theme wasnt predisposed to disappoint anyone. Mostly.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Captain Fantastic

Yeah, another tribute to the Tommy movie that had nothing to do with the Captain Fantastic album.

It might have been a little more palatable if it played Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

#30 1 year ago

Star Wars and Hobbit are the clear recent contenders for this title. There's almost nothing that comes close. Both high-profile. Both with tons of source material and mythology to draw from. Both disappointing primarily because they fall far short of "what should have been." I just can't see software fixing the shortcomings of either, but I'm happy to be eventually proven wrong.

If we didn't have Williams Indy proving that it CAN BE DONE, it would be harder to fault SW and Hobbit. But Williams Indy proves a licensed theme can knock it out of the park (as much as Stern's Indy proves cost-cutting can really hurt a theme).

#31 1 year ago

Bonanza-

They couldn't even get the real Hoss on board with that one.

#32 1 year ago

Stern Star Wars, Star Wars episode 1, stern Indiana jones.

#33 1 year ago

Lol to the Star Wars haters!

Stern Indiana Jones gets my vote.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Star Wars and Hobbit are the clear recent contenders for this title. There's almost nothing that comes close. Both high-profile. Both with tons of source material and mythology to draw from. Both disappointing primarily because they fall far short of "what should have been." I just can't see software fixing the shortcomings of either, but I'm happy to be eventually proven wrong.

The games are all about software now. Star Wars definitely rocks. I understand that people have a certain expectation and a dinkly little tie fighter isn't what they wanted. If you remove yourself from what you thought it could be and play the game you'll realize it's amazing. All my pinball buddies are gushing over it and so are my non pinball friends. It's a great game. It really presses the nostalgia button correctly. It's just going to get better and better as Dwight sinks his claws into it. I think more and more you're going to see less playfield toys and more interaction with the display and code. That's where the technology is and that's next level now.

#35 1 year ago

Biggest disappointment of all. I mean with a title like this I expected greatness.

image-1 (resized).jpg

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

The games are all about software now. Star Wars definitely rocks. I understand that people have a certain expectation and a dinkly little tie fighter isn't what they wanted. If you remove yourself from what you thought it could be and play the game you'll realize it's amazing. All my pinball buddies are gushing over it and so are my non pinball friends. It's a great game. It really presses the nostalgia button correctly. It's just going to get better and better as Dwight sinks his claws into it. I think more and more you're going to see less playfield toys and more interaction with the display and code. That's where the technology is and that's next level now.

Why not just put a screen in and just make it all simulated on video then? We have that and those machines are LIGHTLY played at pin shows I've been to. It's not popular with pinheads.

I don't want a flat pinball with almost no interactive toys and stand-ups instead of drop targets. Pinball has always been about mechanical action. I want THAT technology when I play a pin, most of all. Sure, give me some eye candy, but make a clever pin with tons of cool mechanical action and you have me. That's not cheap, but at the prices being asked, that is already paid for, so give it to us.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I'd sell my Tron before I sold my SWLE. And that's the highest praise I can give it. (Because I f**king LOVE my Tron!)

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

All the Star Wars owners don't need to get so defensive, I for one personally never said the game wasn't fun and I think a lot of others feel the same way. It is fun. I've played it many times. Seen all there is to see at this point. I put up over 17 billion on it recently. The game is fine, it's fun...but it should have been so much better than that with all there was to work with on such an epic theme. The layout is not anything special, it's painfully obvious the BOM was cut and so much great source material was not used. Just randomly throwing clips on the screen for modes and a barren playfield doesn't make for great theme integration. This thread was about the "biggest theme disappointment" and although Star Wars is a fun game as it sits...and it is getting better with new code updates...for me it still certainly fits that definition of theme disappointment.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Biggest disappointment of all. I mean with a title like this I expected greatness.

I keep forgetting you were born in the days before they had electricity.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I keep forgetting you were born in the days before they had electricity.

Yeah well I'm young enough to have watched Gunsmoke with my grandma and look what pinball gave us. Where the hell is Festus and Marshall Dillon?

Pinball's always been cutting corners with it's licensed themes and today we are getting ripped off more than ever.

image-2 (resized).jpg

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from LesManley:

All the Star Wars owners don't need to get so defensive, I for one personally never said the game wasn't fun and I think a lot of others feel the same way. It is fun. I've played it many times. Seen all there is to see at this point. I put up over 17 billion on it recently. The game is fine, it's fun...but it should have been so much better than that with all there was to work with on such an epic theme. The layout is not anything special, it's painfully obvious the BOM was cut and so much great source material was not used. Just randomly throwing clips on the screen for modes doesn't make great theme integration. This thread was about the "biggest theme disappointment" and although Star Wars is a fun game as it sits, for me it still certainly fits that definition of theme disappointment.

My game is on route so I really don't have much skin in the game other than the coin box which has been speaking for itself lately. I'm just curious as to what could've been done better in your mind? I agree there are limited toys and when I look at my other recent sterns I've purchased I feel like star wars definitely feels cheap. Until... I switch it on and play. Once I play a game I get so immersed I don't notice the lack of toys. Just curious how others feel.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

For sure between that one and Gay Cruise

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I think the problem is more about people setting impossibly high standards for their dream theme. Example: People love Star Wars, and they think Stern is gonna pull out all the stops, and then everyone has such lofty expectations, that anything less would be a disappointment, even if Star Wars really isn’t a bad game at all (I actually like it).
Same thing with Ghostbusters (especially with the magnificent hype train people were riding when it was leaked). I think the one game that did the opposite of that was Dialed In. People saw it, hated it, but then later played it, and loved it since the original theme wasnt predisposed to disappoint anyone. Mostly.

I was just about to post basically this same sentiment. Hobbit had 90 years of build up to it - yet the movies disappointed, and so did the pin. I think it is REALLY fun, but i do not get Star Wars st ALL. But they are kind of the same thing - lots of video and rules and less "stuff on the playfield". This is going to make A lot of people uneasy. I hated the SW pin but love TH. I'm way more of a Star Wars fan than a Tolkien fan. Well, a little
More anyway. Anyway I agree about DI.

#45 1 year ago

Screw all these licensed themes. At least with Eager Beaver, I know what I'm getting.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

Seriously. That could have been an OUTSTANDING NWA/WCW pin. Ric Flair alone would be worth the entry price

#47 1 year ago

No, when I'm thinking 4 Horsemen I'm picturing something like this.

84143e425328202e3961c3d4dd101f88-d9pi5af (resized).jpg

#48 1 year ago

It's not about whether or not star wars or GOT are good playing/shooting/coded games. This thread is about theme

And they both dropped the ball imo

I don't mind playing either, got is a game I feel I can beat anyone on it, this thread is about theme let down and they both suck a fatty given the source material and as someone said "expectations"for a dream theme imo

#49 1 year ago

star trek and xmen

#50 1 year ago

Fireball2. When this came out we were really excited, the next modern version of Fireball! Then it was confusing, a little too evil, and no spinning disc.
Now, I would like to have one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 13.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
Cabinet - Toppers
liorillusion
$ 159.99
Great American Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 34.50
The MOD Couple
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Sale Pending!
Henderson, NV
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 109.95
Hookedonpinball.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 10.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside