Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by paragon66x
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Score? Curious to know and if some tournaments are played with lights off. At times I think it makes games more challenging and fun. Lets see how people's scores match up with lights on or off in the dark. Should be interesting.

#2 11 years ago

I usually play in the dark. I think it's easier sometimes.

#3 11 years ago

It depends on game. I have found I play in dark with some but my Star Trek Next Generation with the dark playfield is hard to see. I tend to turn up the lights when I play it. Nothing is cooler than playing in pitch black with all machines going.

#4 11 years ago

Agree with pinmeister. Some games with darker playfields are much better with the lights on. Others..well, Tron in the dark speaks for itself!

Funny, last night I went up to work on a machine so I had the lights on and fired up Tron and I will say that I had one of my best games ever...but I still enjoy the light show much more in the dark!

#5 11 years ago

I find some of the Dataeast and Sega machines are extremely difficult to play in the dark. Not because of limited brightness per se but the overabundance use of strobing effects. All bulbs flashing at once puts a lot of strain on my eyes. Not to mention I have a hard time tracking the ball with all those spots burned into my eyes.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from temlog:

I find some of the Dataeast and Sega machines are extremely difficult to play in the dark. Not because of limited brightness per se but the overabundance use of strobing effects. All bulbs flashing at once puts a lot of strain on my eyes. Not to mention I have a hard time tracking the ball with all those spots burned into my eyes.

That's part of the challenge I like.

#7 11 years ago

dark pinball lighting only

#8 11 years ago

In the dark + one pinball machine on + with invisiglass = epic

#9 11 years ago

just enough light to see the playfield... just "feels right" that way...

although during the day, sunlight pretty much takes over...

#10 11 years ago

I have a dimmer switch in my game room and have the light pretty low.

#11 11 years ago

I added spot lights to all my games with f¥€k'n bright LED's from pinball life in them. All my machines are plenty bright enough to play in the dark.

#12 11 years ago

I feel pinball was made to be played in the dark, so I almost always flip the lights off. However, I am able to play better with lights on just because of being able to see the playfield better. I still opt for lights off though. It's like watching movies -- having a little light is usually easier on the eyes, but watching in a completely darkened room is better for the experience.

#13 11 years ago

I usually play in the dark at home because I like the mood it sets but I know that my scores are better when I play with the lights on.

#14 11 years ago

Lights turned low.
    A couple candles lit.
    Some Barry White playing in the background...

Oh. Whoops.
    Wrong forum post.

#15 11 years ago

Lights on dimmer switch, set to just enough to illuminate everything that the games lights do not.
    Pitch black was o.k. until I got F-14 Tomcat, couldn't track the ball in total blackness with all the flash lamps.

#16 11 years ago

I usually added 2-6 spotlights per game so playing in the dark is no issue. Also reduces any "strobe" affects as well.

#17 11 years ago

Prefer lights out for incandescent lit playfields, lights on if LED lit playfield.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-best-score-in-the-dark-vs-best-with-the-lights-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.