2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cody_chunn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

We've all heard about the the proper angle for pinball machines, from the low end of 3.5 degrees for EM all the way up to a faster 7 degrees plus for new machines.

Do you have a rule of thumb you follow? Of course each machine has a sweet spot, but there's gotta' be a baseline? Not every machine has recommendations in the manual, what do you do then? Feel it out, go with similar recommendations for the same era?

Is the golden number really 6.5 across the board in your opinion regardless of generation?

#2 2 years ago

I set my EM's to the point where my wife complains that they are too difficult.
    Then I just back them down a turn.

#3 2 years ago

I generally like my ems at 6-7 and my solid state at 6-8.

Philosophy is generally: rebuild the flippers, and then keep cranking up the playfield as long as the flipper don't have trouble on any of the shots. As soon as the ball starts ever not making it up ramps or back to the top, you've gone too far.

#4 2 years ago

TURN IT UP TO 11 AND RIP THE KNOB OFF BABY

(not really, I just usually put them at whatever level feels right for the game at hand)

#5 2 years ago

Pitching a game:

Screw front levelers all the way in. If it has a nut below the leg move it above the leg.
    Screw rear levelers all the way out.

Adjust for level.

#6 2 years ago

I have my Star Race and Circus at 6 degrees and they are fast!

#7 2 years ago

For the most part I like my games as steep as possible without compromising flipper strength. For modern games that means rear levelers all the way out, front all the way in (with nut removed), and for EMs that means almost all the way up for the rear levelers.

It's how I like my games. It's more fun.

I've never looked at a bubble level in my life.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Even for the other axis? I really need to get in and level my games. Not to adjust playing height, but rather to fix an unlevel playing surface to where the ball goes left or right more than the other way. Very very slight, but noticeable on a few games.

#9 2 years ago

I use the pinguy app. I set modern games to 6.5 and early solid state to 5.5

#10 2 years ago

Seems I spend a lot of time leveling side to side on my pins due to people moving them around while playing. I have them on carpet with those furniture sliders under them and you can move them when nudging or plain banging them during play and I can never find the same level spot they were in previously.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Seems I spend a lot of time leveling side to side on my pins due to people moving them around while playing. I have them on carpet with those furniture sliders under them and you can move them when nudging or plain banging them during play and I can never find the same level spot they were in previously.

Ya i have a rough comcrete floor with those sliders and i always havebto adjust level. My frinds think they are doing good when they slide the machine a foot to the left to make a save. Wait till they play in an arcade with tilt set tight and outlanes open

#12 2 years ago

I usually have the back leg levelers 3/4 out and the front all the way down.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Even for the other axis? I really need to get in and level my games. Not to adjust playing height, but rather to fix an unlevel playing surface to where the ball goes left or right more than the other way. Very very slight, but noticeable on a few games.

I generally level side to side by play. But yeah I've used a bubble before to confirm my bias.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But yeah I've used a bubble before to confirm my bias.

#15 2 years ago

steep enough to make it play fast but not so steep to effect the side to side float of the ball too much. usually between 6.5 and 7.5 on modern games, i dont have any EM

#17 2 years ago

I have a torpedo level. I set pitch to 6.5-7 depending on game, and obviously bias is always leveled to 0.00. Basically I go with factory recommendations, I prefer to play my games the way the designer intended them to be played.

#18 2 years ago

My son bought me an electronic protractor for Christmas. It works really great. I tried to use phone apps. They are all over the place and not very accurate.

#19 2 years ago

Not only are phone apps not that accurate, many phones have a camera that sticks off the front now. I can't even lay my phone flush on a flat surface because the camera raises the top-left corner a bit over 1mm.

#20 2 years ago

What you can change the angles on pinball machines?

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwarren28806:

My son bought me an electronic protractor for Christmas. It works really great. I tried to use phone apps. They are all over the place and not very accurate.

reminds me of a Simpson's episode where Lisa entered a math contest and first prize was a protractor , and Bart said " too bad we don't live on a farm "

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Not only are phone apps not that accurate, many phones have a camera that sticks off the front now. I can't even lay my phone flush on a flat surface because the camera raises the top-left corner a bit over 1mm.

You can calibrate to account for the weird shapes pretty easily.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

My phone is that way. I still use the app, but place a small piece of my kids wooden train track under it. Then I just make sure the ball doesn't move to much to one side. Maybe not perfect, but it works well.

#24 2 years ago

I tend to keep my newer games just a touch over the recommended 6.5º to keep me on my toes. My EMs, I usually just eyeball them by cranking the rear levelers all the way up.

I got one of these from Harbor Freight years ago. Cost like $4 or something. Works like a champ, although admittedly, I hardly ever use it.

#25 2 years ago

As long as the game is fun to me, I don't care.

With the GLASS on, I think my meter reads 12.1 deg or so.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Pitching a game:
    Screw front levelers all the way in. If it has a nut below the leg move it above the leg.
    Screw rear levelers all the way out.
    Adjust for level.

That's the ONE thing I figured out myself!

#27 2 years ago

Im typically 6.8-6.9 on newer sterns. My SMVE is set at 7.3 with lightning flippers and no center post save...yes i like to be kicked in the nuts

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I tend to keep my newer games just a touch over the recommended 6.5º to keep me on my toes. My EMs, I usually just eyeball them by cranking the rear levelers all the way up.
    I got one of these from Harbor Freight years ago. Cost like $4 or something. Works like a champ, although admittedly, I hardly ever use it.

Tough to measure 6.5 on that though.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwarren28806:

Tough to measure 6.5 on that though.

For me, I can get close enough, which is good enough.

#31 2 years ago

"I got an angle..."

"Calling Hannover Fiste!"

"WHAT ANGLE?!"

"Him!"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 235.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside