(Topic ID: 149334)

What's you favorite new pinball company ?

By 2Kaulitz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by 2Kaulitz
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What's you favorite new pinball company ?”

• Dutch Pinball 13 votes
    5%
  • Heighway Pinball 64 votes
    24%
  • Spooky Pinball 100 votes
    37%
  • Jersey Jack Pinball 84 votes
    31%
  • Chicago Gaming / Plantary 11 votes
    4%

(272 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

space_(resized).jpg
day_one_(resized).png
nellie_(resized).jpg
lil_(resized).jpg
WOF_flippers_(resized).jpg

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Heighway for me. Aliens is my favorite theme out of all being offered and I like how Andrew presents himself and his company. Spooky would be a close second.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Serious question for O-din.
I've seen you bring up the Italian bottom in several threads to lament the sameness of pinball over the last 40 years. I too love the oddball flipper arrangements of many older games. Variety is fun. Those tables exist.
However, it strikes me that the Italian bottom configuration was the result of a slow process of refinement. With that configuration, they finally got it just right.
I sometimes think that the call for "innovation" in pinball is unwarranted. I personally think that the fundamental configuration of the modern machine is pretty close to perfection.
Rethemed, reskinning, coding, magnets, mechs, ramps, drops, StandUps, gobbles, slings, etc etc can all be utilized in infinitely subtle configurations to provide new experiences. Frankly, that's what I want from pinball.
I see the appeal of other bottom end configurations for variety sake... But I feel like the modern bottom end is the distillation of all of that experimentation, refined in to the "best" compromise.

Well said. No one wants to return to the dark ages under the guise of innovation.

#53 8 years ago

So what was the question? I have pinball machines with all different flipper configurations and they are all very playable. The only ones that are all the same are the recent ones. Nothing to do with dark ages as rare suggests but I like variety over sameness. I really believe it would take more work for a designer is why they are using the same flipper arrangement now. Whoa Nellie proves you can change it up and still make the game very playable although maybe a bit more difficult. And that's what I look for. A new challenge.

EM games from the 70s that started using the modern flipper setup are too easy so I own none.

The other thing that has happened is now shots are straight on when at one time many could only be made by banking the ball. I'll take skill over repetition any day.

#54 8 years ago

I don't dislike any of them but have to go JJP. I love WOZ's layout, code, over the top features, and light show. TH has a cool theme and some of the best playfield art ever, which is all WOZ really lacks to me. I suspect one day they're going to tie everything together and make my favorite game of all time.

#55 8 years ago

I will add that I like playing my modern games as well as the antiques, but when you do have both you can picture in your head variations that would work and make them more interesting.

#56 8 years ago

Spooky for me

I'm a huge horror fan as well and I love there podcast.

and just everything about them is top notch

I like them so much that I pulled the trigger on a RZ

Wile I like all the others, there is just something special to spooky for me.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No one wants to return to the dark ages under the guise of innovation.

Pinball ramps and subways have been around longer than flippers and were tried in various configurations and then vanished for decades before being integrated into modern games. Was that a return to the dark ages?

If every gane from 1980 used the same ramps and then somebody suggested trying something different would you give the same response?

There are many gimics that were tried long ago and when they re-appear on a modern game they are called innovations.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pinball ramps and subways have been around longer than flippers and were tried in various configurations and then vanished for decades before being integrated into modern games. Was that a return to the dark ages?
If every gane from 1980 used the same ramps and then somebody suggested trying something different would you give the same response?
There are many gimics that were tried long ago and when they re-appear on a modern game they are called innovations.

Bring back reverse flippers!

#59 8 years ago

I would say Heighway. I met Andrew and their tech guy at Pintastic but I just really like how they do things company and philosophy wise. How the machines are built, the re-usable game's (swap out playfield etc and it's a new game). It just makes sense. Plus how they do the manufacturing is really smart.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think we can definitely use more innovative layouts, but the Italian bottom is what most people today consider a trademark of pinball. There are other things that can be done with layouts & extra flippers to make them fresh and innovative while still retaining the bottom flipper layout. Stern tried something different with WOF, and people didn't seem to like it. I actually dug it - but it wasn't too far removed from what we're used to. I get the feeling you want modern games to be like EMs - completely random and weird flipper placement. That just wouldn't work for modern games, IMO.

WOF_flippers_(resized).jpgWOF_flippers_(resized).jpg

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I get the feeling you want modern games to be like EMs - completely random and weird flipper placement.

Not at all! But like I said I can picture things that would really work in a modern game. I put two inch bats on my Judge Dredd and besides the gaping hole it left between them, it did make it interesting and hitting all shots and making ramps were no problem. If they were closer together it would be epic.

Using the flippers that already exist in Whoa Nellie in a modern layout with ramps and all that could IMO be very fun because they have plenty of power. You could have two sets. One regular and one reverse. I didn't think much of reverse flippers until I got some and now they are a crowd favorite.

You like your Stewie ball, don't you? And modern games flippers are like every EM from the 70s already.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not at all! But like I said I can picture things that would really work in a modern game. I put two inch bats on my Judge Dredd and besides the gaping hole it left between them, it did make it interesting and hitting all shots and making ramps were no problem. If they were closer together it would be epic.
Using the flippers that already exist in Whoa Nellie in a modern layout with ramps and all that could IMO be very fun because they have plenty of power. You could have two sets. One regular and one reverse. I didn't think much of reverse flippers until I got some and now they are a crowd favorite.
You like your Stewie ball, don't you? And modern games flippers are like every EM from the 70s already.

Heighway's designs seem pretty different - maybe they'll do something you like.

#63 8 years ago
#64 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You'd be surprised how much control you can get with these small flippers once you get the hang of them. Reverse flippers that are spread apart can pass the ball two each other with relative ease but can also shoot the ball up the playfield. Having them bottom center on a modern game would probably need a post or triangle between them to prevent cheap drains. Diamond Lil was one of the more popular games to use them and when I played it I had no problem manipulating them. Fun to hit that steel loop, but hard to get in the middle. Steel loop or steel ramp. the possibilities are endless.

There's nothing on that playfield. I don't see how that flipper configuration would work with ramps/toys/rules of modern games. I don't see modern pin players wanting this at all. Companies making new pins have it hard enough...a new game with reverse 2-inch flippers would put them in the ground.

#65 8 years ago

the way that game is kinda setup reminds me of Rocky. Like if rocky had a broken arm on each side.

#66 8 years ago

If pinball designers listened to all the naysayers, nothing would get done.

#67 8 years ago

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Heighway's designs seem pretty different - maybe they'll do something you like.

i like the heighway's idea of changing games. I guess lets see how it works out

#69 8 years ago

When Spooky comes out with a theme that interests me, I'm buying.

I like what I read about those guys.

#70 8 years ago

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So what was the question? I have pinball machines with all different flipper configurations and they are all very playable. The only ones that are all the same are the recent ones. Nothing to do with dark ages as rare suggests but I like variety over sameness. I really believe it would take more work for a designer is why they are using the same flipper arrangement now. Whoa Nellie proves you can change it up and still make the game very playable although maybe a bit more difficult. And that's what I look for. A new challenge.
EM games from the 70s that started using the modern flipper setup are too easy so I own none.
The other thing that has happened is now shots are straight on when at one time many could only be made by banking the ball. I'll take skill over repetition any day.

Haha. Sorry, I guess I didn't ask a direct question. I suppose I got an answer though. I guess what I was trying to say was, is it possible that the Italian bottom is the best evolution of all of that experimentation?

On the other hand though... I'm sort of with you. Variety is good! I attended my first league night tonight. Favourite games, Volley, and North Star!

#72 8 years ago

I played a North Star last week. It was kind of easy. But fun..

#74 8 years ago

North Star is pretty fun. Not as fun as Majorette's, but it's certainly comparable.

#75 8 years ago

The highway swap out is a gimmick that makes no sense. Unless you buy a shit title and then want to change it, but how much do you really save. I really haven't followed as I am no big buyer but I remember hearing something like you get two machines for like 10k. From an Op point of view it is only 1 machine ever. And for the home collector, space saver. BS. I would much rather just purchase two machines. And selling one body and four kits???
It was tried with pin2k which for OP may have made sense if kit cost was right as monitor cpu cabinet special glass etc.but was it?? It did not last long enough.
This is Pinball not Atari2600 carts folks.

Wish them all the best! But as shark tank panel says. I 'm out.

Same goes with multimorphic p3 pinball.

Buy a new title at a fraction of the cost sounds nice. But I have never heard pricing.

As with any electronic gadget that claims expandable well maybe for a very short time but it is more of a sales gimmick than anything.

The only way I can make it seem like a good idea is if I was OP that had 3 titles in one location and 3 different titles in another and swapping all machines from one location to another was easier. But are there 20 different titles to choose from.

Maybe easier to shop?? Or if swapping often will you be in for more connector issues.

Nope. JJP 1st. tried to produce the best looking, high quality, inovative pin with a title I found well very odd but it was wow. The Hobbit I am sure will be just as beautiful. I bet they could make me like playing (the smurfs) and think it is cool.

Spooky 2nd
AMH for the open source ness. And well really the programming genius behind a game that looks like a amature attempt.
But mod the thing as much as you want. As it is a hacker makers dream? You bet!

oh damn can we just call it a tie with these two!!! Both in first!!!

Can't wait to see the Rob Zombie machine. The dominos should be a fun title as well. Going for the double cheese multiball with anchove mode stacked. I need four more boxes folded or I have to start that mode again?? Dang!!

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

The highway swap out is a gimmick that makes no sense. Unless you buy a shit title and then want to change it, but how much do you really save.

I think you're a bit quick with your conclusion here. It indeed may not make sense if you have lots of room. But for me: Even though a loose playfield, translite etc..(and code of course) is quite expensive imo, I might be interested purely for the room-issue.
For operators it does make sense if they can sell the old kits for a reasonable price not to far from a new kit. Say $1000 less than a new kit, than he'll have a new game on location and it cost him 1000$. Besides, having multiple Highway-games, it'll be easier to swap games between locations. Will it work and sell well? I don't know, but it's way to soon to say it won't.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Buy a new title at a fraction of the cost sounds nice. But I have never heard pricing.

Kit = approx. 60% of a full game. (which is a bit too much for my taste, by the way).

Quoted from CNKay:

And for the home collector, space saver. BS. I would much rather just purchase two machines. And selling one body and four kits???

A number of home collectors are space- or WAF-limited. The kit is a nice way to circumvent these limitations. Makes perfect sense.
I now have to sell a pin to accommodate a new one. Tend to love all those I own... a kit would solve that.

With unlimited budget, assuming P3 and Heighway have at least three different games on each platform, both would be in my lineup.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If pinball designers listened to all the naysayers, nothing would get done.

^^^ THIS.

#79 8 years ago

Another company that incorporated last year and has already produced a machine was left off, Day One Pinball:

http://www.dayonepinball.com/

Brad

day_one_(resized).pngday_one_(resized).png

#80 8 years ago

Space saving kit? For large OP maybe, but for homeowner I don't think so. You have a pf that if not in the cabinet needs protection so it is in a large box yes?? And large bulky (fragile)artworks. So what three or so large bulky pieces I guess in a box as well. So if you have room for these boxes. How much room are you saving instead of just having another full machine but broke down. It's cab is its protection. I don't think it is naysaying by bringing up common sense that can get twisted by marketing and sales people hype. Remember the folks poo pooing JPOP right from the get go? Or folks like me that just sat back and never ever said a word or questioned all the new great things to come.
You could just be really liking the lit sides of cabinets. A beautiful idea and for a few it my work out well. But most pins are in a line up that only one side shows at most. For OP isn't it more of a security issue? I never looked at but a weak spot for break ins?? The ball tracking and video screen integration, pop up scoops for subways and such all outstanding ideas. But why not just integrate one idea at a time instead of trying to build the ultimate pin or ulitmate system.
I voted for the more realistic choices.
Now back to board work.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

The highway swap out is a gimmick that makes no sense. Unless you buy a shit title and then want to change it, but how much do you really save. I really haven't followed as I am no big buyer but I remember hearing something like you get two machines for like 10k. From an Op point of view it is only 1 machine ever. And for the home collector, space saver. BS. I would much rather just purchase two machines.

It must be nice to have infinite room for pins. I've reached "sell one if you want one" status, so "just purchase two machines" means I gotta sell two.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It must be nice to have infinite room for pins.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

space_(resized).jpgspace_(resized).jpg

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Where there's a will, there's a way.

space_(resized).jpg

indeed

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It must be nice to have infinite room for pins. I've reached "sell one if you want one" status, so "just purchase two machines" means I gotta sell two.

i'm in the same boat. The only way I got to expand my collection is because I have a friend that lives close by and had room for 17 games. Let me expand quite a bit.

I used to think if I had room for 35 games, the ball bowler, the fortune teller, bubble hockey and my pirate statues, that would be enough. Well i'm at 32 games plus all the other shit and there are still titles I want. Since I went on an obsession to acquire a complete set of Gen 2 zaccarias...my gameroom requirements have greatly expanded. Now my magic number is 50. Plus the bonus shit. And need room for 2 sit down drivers that I acquired because they were dirt cheap and a mile away from my house.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

The highway swap out is a gimmick that makes no sense. Unless you buy a shit title and then want to change it, but how much do you really save. I really haven't followed as I am no big buyer but I remember hearing something like you get two machines for like 10k.

It makes perfect sense. It isn't a gimmick it's a feature.

You prefer to pay more for games and for them to be difficult to swap? You like moving machines?

You make no sense.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

It makes perfect sense. It isn't a gimmick it's a feature.
You prefer to pay more for games and for them to be difficult to swap? You like moving machines?
You make no sense.

I think the point is it doesn't make sense for everyone. It's not a black or white issue. I have one pinball machine. So this should appeal to me. But i have no room to store an extra playfield, so bummer. It's more for the guys who have space and can easily put the PF off to the side. The real issue is will people do this? My hunch says no simply because the hardest thing to do in an 80 year old hobby is change behavior.

#87 8 years ago

Spooky & Jersey Jack are close on the pole Both good company's but i still go with spooky on top. I did get to play and check out a woz. Very pretty game well built just not my cup of tea plus was too pricey

#88 8 years ago

Also prefered highway did a normal cabinet. Cause i dont like the look of the pin, with the big bezel and odd head box on it.

Gameplay, playfield, code. Art, the whole company seems so well organised, with great people on board. But dont think i will spend a few thousand euros on something in my livingroom what does not look good. (For me)

They are the only company that will come close to Stern building and shipping pins. (In a few years when more titles are out)

Wished they went old school on the cabinet and put all their energy in the playfield.

#89 8 years ago

I say Heighway. Spooky too small and exclusive and with the "if you didn't buy AMH good luck getting in on RZ" model. I just can't see why anyone but those who are in this club would vote for them. Yes I did have opportunity to purchase. I find the communication and technology of Dutch with TBL running a very close 2nd. JMO...

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I have one pinball machine. So this should appeal to me. But i have no room to store an extra playfield, so bummer.

Are you storing a bunch of crap underneath your current pinball machine? If you're not, there you go. With the Heighway system you have 2 pinball machines in the space of one. As you buy more playfields I recommend you suspend them from the ceiling above your bed so you can stare at them every night. ...Unless you still like jumping up and down on your bed?

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Are you storing a bunch of crap underneath your current pinball machine? If you're not, there you go. With the Heighway system you have 2 pinball machines in the space of one.

Well when I see the Heighway system really catch on I will be the first guy selling the PINRUFFLE!
The most ultimate dust ruffle, and eye soar cover up on the planet! Coming in several colors and smells!!

#92 8 years ago

For the amount of details and creativity JJP puts a lot in a game, I like the designs of some of the others but that's all I know for now until I play them.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Well when I see the Heighway system really catch on I will be the first guy selling the PINRUFFLE!
The most ultimate dust ruffle, and eye soar cover up on the planet! Coming in several colors and smells!!

haha

#94 8 years ago

Spooky for the Win

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 85.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-you-favorite-new-pinball-company/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.