Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by flecom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150220_194527.jpg
    image-838.jpg
    image.jpg
    unicornpooprs.jpg
    Unknown.jpeg
    WH2O playfield3.jpg
    CSIg.jpg
    Star Wars.jpg
    ironman.jpg
    finished2.jpg
    tommy24.jpg
    tommy21.jpg
    2015-03-02 17.20.08.jpg
    IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    BK2K.png

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

I recently switched to LEDs in my T2 and I really think that machine benefits from darker blue/purple GI. I think it looks so much better.

Which LED brand and colors did you use? Looks really nice, actually.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Right, and who are you to judge me for having an opinion? I'm not demanding that people change their games, just trying to understand why this trend is taking off. Heck, I eventually came around to LEDs, maybe I'll come around to rainbow-colored pins someday too.

I came around on LEDs, but not rainbow clown puke. My most colored game is Congo - with 100% green GI...When I changed it all to white, I actually missed some of the green...so I did a sprinkle of both in appropriate spots and I think it looks good. Most of the plastics are green, so the green light doesn't wash out any other colors. I put whites under the plastic art that had colors or text on it.

On Addams, I put a few reds under the red ramp and a few blues under the blue. There's still enough white in the GI that it looks like a nice highlight, and doesn't color the whole game.

I think my TOM has the most variety. I used cool whites under the rabbits, warm under red/orange areas, pinks under the pink plastics (really turns them vibrant and HOT pink, and doesn't discolor the other areas - looks awesome)...a few reds to give some atmosphere here and there. The game really pops but doesn't look colorbombed at all.

image-838.jpgimage-838.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
    #53 9 years ago

I like blending warm and cool white LEDs for GI, on the same pin. On Nascar, I used cool whites on the bottom 2/3 of the playfield (which is mostly blue), and #44s on the top 1/3 (which is mostly red and yellow). Looks great, and the visibility is much better on the game now.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I like blending warm and cool white LEDs for GI, on the same pin. On Nascar, I used cool whites on the bottom 2/3 of the playfield (which is mostly blue), and #44s on the top 1/3 (which is mostly red and yellow). Looks great, and the visibility is much better on the game now.

Wow interesting. Never thought to try that. I think I need to buy just a ton of every kind of LED so I can swap in and out and find the best combo. Expensive though haha.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I came around on LEDs, but not rainbow clown puke. My most colored game is Congo - with 100% green GI...When I changed it all to white, I actually missed some of the green...so I did a sprinkle of both in appropriate spots and I think it looks good. Most of the plastics are green, so the green light doesn't wash out any other colors. I put whites under the plastic art that had colors or text on it.
    On Addams, I put a few reds under the red ramp and a few blues under the blue. There's still enough white in the GI that it looks like a nice highlight, and doesn't color the whole game.
    I think my TOM has the most variety. I used cool whites under the rabbits, warm under red/orange areas, pinks under the pink plastics (really turns them vibrant and HOT pink, and doesn't discolor the other areas - looks awesome)...a few reds to give some atmosphere here and there. The game really pops but doesn't look colorbombed at all.

image-838.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That TOM does look color-bombed in that pic, but it's probably just the pic. Purple light picks up strange in pics.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

That TOM does look color-bombed in that pic, but it's probably just the pic. Purple light picks up strange in pics.

Colorbomb monochromes out & changes other colors . You can still see every color on the plastics and artwork as intended in my pics. There's no purple - but pink under the pink/blue plastics - which accentuates the pink and still leaves the blue as blue. All the inserts are cool white or warm white. There's a single blue by the ring - which from the factory is yellow condomed bulb....yellow LEDs suck, so I thought blue was unique and goes with the accents on the plastics. I also added a spotlight on the left ramp that brightens up the Trunk and playfield in general.

LED colors ALWAYS look more bombed in pics than in real life.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Colorbomb monochromes out & changes other colors . You can still see every color on the plastics and artwork as intended in my pics. There's no purple - but pink under the pink/blue plastics - which accentuates the pink and still leaves the blue as blue. All the inserts are cool white or warm white. There's a single blue by the ring - which from the factory is yellow condomed bulb....yellow LEDs suck, so I thought blue was unique and goes with the accents on the plastics. I also added a spotlight on the left ramp that brightens up the Trunk and playfield in general.
    LED colors ALWAYS look more bombed in pics than in real life.

Totally agree. Hard to show how good they look in pics. Also totally agree about the yellow LED comment. I have no idea why, but Yellow LEDs are horrible and I have bought them from Comet, Coin, and Marco.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Totally agree. Hard to show how good they look in pics. Also totally agree about the yellow LED comment. I have no idea why, but Yellow LEDs are horrible and I have bought them from Comet, Coin, and Marco.

There's almost no reason for them...if you have yellow inserts just use warm whites under them. If you really need yellow - get a warm white and put a yellow bulb condom on it! I did that for the light on top of the TARDIS on Dr. Who.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I like blending warm and cool white LEDs for GI, on the same pin.

I did that on my Elvira, it works great.

#60 9 years ago

The only 2 yellows that have enough brightness to show color close to my desire would be Twin 2835 Frosted...
    They have a slight orange to to be seen, and work great to color match yellow inserts and the same with orange, frosted Twin 2835 in Inserts. In GI, an Op-Max is quite bright in yellow.
    From Single LED to a 1 SMD, they simply wont be as bright because of the color is produced and how we see the color....it isnt the Vendor.
    But Yellows Vary widely in hue in 1 SMD because of the popularity, and cost today.

Superflux Pirahana LEDs arent too bad either in inserts...these are the No-Flix brand or Optix Brand.
    Those are in Roadshow bonus

The Tommy pictures show that well in spelling Tommy and side targets...Yellow and Orange Frosted Twin 2835...rich in color light the difference between putting a white bulb behind a red insert vs a red behind a red...

#61 9 years ago

It's funny you mentioned the 2835s for yellow. I was going to buy some of those to give yellow one last chance haha.

#62 9 years ago

For me, it depends on the game. For Maverick, I LED'd it, but chose to keep all the GI white. I think it really makes the photographic art of the translite vibrant. On Atlantis, I chose to use color as my own expression of art. For instance, the blue areas of the translite are enhanced by blue LEDs behind them to give that "deep of the ocean" feel, and I mimicked some of the color choices on the translite in areas of the playfield.

All in all it's just light bulbs - and they are fairly easy to replace. It's not much different than when you choose a style of drapes or carpet, or choose to paint your house a different color. Not everyone is going to like it, and the next owner can embellish in their own way.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The only 2 yellows that have enough brightness to show color close to my desire would be Twin 2835 Frosted...

I'll vouch for these. These and the orange ones are AWESOME. It's great to finally have yellow and orange LEDs that are bright enough to provide that good color saturation. Definitely cannot rave enough about the frosted ones. They are SO BRIGHT you can see the bulb through the frosted cap when it's on, and they do a great job of lighting an insert.

#64 9 years ago

Dang. I'll have to grab some orange ones in my next order then.

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Which LED brand and colors did you use? Looks really nice, actually.

They are all comet lights. I highly recommend them. Apparently there are a few that don't enjoy the look, but I couldn't care less. It's all personal taste.

I used a combination of blue, purple, red and natural white. Most of it is blue and purple.

#66 9 years ago

It is a free country . There is no right or wrong . Creative liberty is what is important .

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-wrong-with-white-light/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.