DSC04532.JPG
DSC04531.JPG
DSC04530.JPG
DSC04529.JPG
DSC04528.JPG
DSCN0822_(Custom).JPG
#1 12 years ago

I just got me a very nice IJ.

The flippers does not go all the way up, now this is my first indy, dont know if its ment to play like this?

The ball cant even stay on the flippers, when the bottons are pushed down.

Please see the pictures.
Does anybody know how to handle this issue.

Question nr 2:

The path of adventure, there is a little metal tip at the right side, this results in, the ball cant enter to the right, please check the pictures, is it flipped at a wrong angle?

DSC04506.JPGDSC04506.JPG DSC04507.JPGDSC04507.JPG DSC04508.JPGDSC04508.JPG DSC04509.JPGDSC04509.JPG DSC04510.JPGDSC04510.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Looks like at some point, the flippers were rebuilt with mechs for the wrong machine. System 11 flippers are different from WPC flippers, etc. If at some they were rebuilt with the wrong parts, you would see this. Get the correct kit fromPinball Life, and rebuild them.

#3 12 years ago

Yeah, you are going to need to check the plungers, links, and stops to see what you have in there. Something isn't right. Also check that the front plunger stops are perpendicular and not mis-adjusted and giving you less travel. Finally, your left lane guide is cocked up and too high, making a big drop down to the flipper.

#4 12 years ago

The plunger is a wrong type? too long? is sys11 plungeres/stoppers longer the wpc games?
Live in Denmark, my closest pin-part-pusher is in germany, Best of pinball.de ill check them for new rebuild kit.

Doo any of you know the different length of the plungers? maby i could mesure the length, to be 100% sure.

(Finally, your left lane guide is cocked up and too high, making a big drop down to the flipper.)
I am sorry, can you please explane me what you mean by this?

thanks guys

#5 12 years ago

C you look at the metal guide that leads to your left flipper, it is higher than the same area on the right side.

#6 12 years ago

Ideally you want a smooth transition from lane guide to flipper. Both appear to be off to me, but it could be the angle of your picture. Take a straight edge ruler and lay on the guide. Your guide to flipper rubber should be in a straight line.

DSC04506.JPGDSC04506.JPG

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Ideally you want a smooth transition from lane guide to flipper. Both appear to be off to me, but it could be the angle of your picture. Take a straight edge ruler and lay on the guide. Your guide to flipper rubber should be in a straight line

+1,It does look off.try what robert suggested,If that doesn't get it then it would be the plunger or the coil stops.You can take the coil stops out of your TZ and try it if you dont want to wait for new ones.

#8 12 years ago

Allright, THANKS for the illustration now i understand. Hmmm this problem can not be adusted, can it? Doo i have to buy the round plastik, that the flipper goes in to`? The laneguides cant be adusted.

#9 12 years ago

Hey Mike.
Allright, ill try that one, is it enough to only try the coil stop? is the length on the plunger indentical on sys 11 and wpc? only difference the length of coil stopper`?

Sorry if it sounds like an amature, it really still is but gettin better every day!

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Hey Mike.
Allright, ill try that one, is it enough to only try the coil stop? is the length on the plunger indentical on sys 11 and wpc? only difference the length of coil stopper`?

Sorry if it sounds like an amature, it really still is [] but gettin better every day!

Try adjusting the flipper bat first,You can adjust it up and down.You have clay's guides and there is info on adjusting flippers there.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Hmmm this problem can not be adusted, can it?

Loosen the screws on top of the lane guides and lower them. Easy adjustment.

WPC and Sys 11 plungers are the same length. WPC stops are thicker, which give you less travel than Sys 11, but not to the extent you are seeing on your game.

Post some pics of your flipper assemblies. Maybe we'll be able to see something.

#12 12 years ago

Definitely post us some-under playfield photos-hopefully/probably this can be sorted out in short order.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from v8torino:

Definitely post us some-under playfield photos-hopefully/probably this can be sorted out in short order.

yep for sure

#14 12 years ago

Ok,I did a little research and found that this problem Dennis is having could be the coil stops themselves.The new coil stops that some suppliers sell are different than the original ones,with the new coil stops the flipper bat will have less travel.

The coil stop that should be used in WPC games is #A-12111 Pinballife has them http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=273&parent=0

The new ones that are being sold in the kits are #A-12390 coil stop.

#15 12 years ago

Pictures commin up!

DSC04511.JPGDSC04511.JPG DSC04513.JPGDSC04513.JPG DSC04514.JPGDSC04514.JPG DSC04515.JPGDSC04515.JPG DSC04516.JPGDSC04516.JPG DSC04517.JPGDSC04517.JPG

#16 12 years ago

More pic!

DSC04518.JPGDSC04518.JPG DSC04520.JPGDSC04520.JPG DSC04521.JPGDSC04521.JPG DSC04522.JPGDSC04522.JPG DSC04523.JPGDSC04523.JPG DSC04524.JPGDSC04524.JPG

#17 12 years ago

As ´Mike says, i think the problem is on the coil stop, because when i remove the coil and coil stop, i can push the flippers manually all the way up

Dont know the english word for it, but can i "grind" or whats its called, the coil stops'? make em a little shorter?? will that doo the job? until i get new ones? it takes 2-3 weeks, i really cant wait, that long, wanna play my indyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Thank you guys, i really love pinside (new here) bescouse of you guys!

DSC04525.JPGDSC04525.JPG DSC04526.JPGDSC04526.JPG DSC04527.JPGDSC04527.JPG

#18 12 years ago

Those coil stops look correct to me. I think your problem, like others have suggested, is the flippers need to be adjusted to be in line with the lane guides that feed the flippers. Just loosen the bolt that clamps the flipper shaft, and adjust them up a bit.

*edit* I just read Mike's last post and maybe the coil stop could be bad, but it's hard to know without putting a caliper or measuring device on it for me to be sure. I'll measure one of mine so you can compare.

#19 12 years ago

First, your coils are installed backwards. The lugs should be the other way around. That won't affect the flipper travel, but it will help the soldered connections take less of a pounding.

That looks like a WPC-95 coil stop as Mike mentioned. You should have a System 11-WPC stop installed (A-12111). If you look at the shiny wear on the plunger, you can see that it isn't going all the way into the coil. The plunger should go all the way in to where the link is flush with the front coil bracket.

Here are a couple pics of the WPC-95 stop next to the Sys11-WPC stop. You can see that the WPC-95 stop is taller, which will give you less travel.

DSCN0819_(Custom).JPGDSCN0819_(Custom).JPG DSCN0822_(Custom).JPGDSCN0822_(Custom).JPG

#20 12 years ago

BTW, if you want to file down the stops, I measure the Sys 11-WPC at about 7.35 mm from the base to the top of the stop. WPC-95 are about 8.35mm, so there is about 1 mm difference between the two

#21 12 years ago

Hey.
Line guides, i unscrewed the 3 bolts, but cant push the metalplate down or up, when i screw the 3 bolts in again, the lane guide sits in the same plase.
When i roll the pinball over from lane guide to the flipper it works okey, it does now bounce.

Turning the coils around wont work (look at pic) it cant be done.

I have filed the coil stop down a little, but it dident help, the plunger still hits it and stops. Ill file it down some more right now, more info commin up!

DSC04528.JPGDSC04528.JPG DSC04529.JPGDSC04529.JPG DSC04530.JPGDSC04530.JPG DSC04531.JPGDSC04531.JPG DSC04532.JPGDSC04532.JPG

#22 12 years ago

Any problems when the coils are turned around wrong?

#23 12 years ago

I would think it's the wrong plunger/link assembly and you need the correct shorter one

#24 12 years ago

And on the PoA it looks like the left tab was bent all the way inward so the ball can't bypass the PoA anymore. Am I seeing that correctly? It needs to be bent out over the Poa and the right one as well so the ball funnels and drops just above the lane guide. Here's one for reference.

img_3708.jpgimg_3708.jpg

#25 12 years ago

OK Dennis, before you go grinding anymore metal off your plungers and coil stops, i think you should try this:

In your first pictures I can't even see the pin holes in the playfield below the flippers. These are used to get a quick flipper alignment using a toothpick with the rubber off the flipper. You need to loosen the flipper bat shaft from the clamp underneath the playfield, and adjust your flippers up a bit. It should fit like this when you're done.

IMG_2460.JPGIMG_2460.JPG IMG_2459.JPGIMG_2459.JPG img_2458.jpgimg_2458.jpg

#26 12 years ago

The brackets you have aren't notched, so you won't be able to turn the coils around. So don't worry about it. Not a huge deal.

The plungers and links aren't the problem. As shock_me suggested, align the flippers and check. Then keep working on the stops until they are the right thickness. If need be, remove a stop from your Addams Family and use it as a guide. That is assuming the stops in your Addams Family aren't mushroomed and smashed down.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

pin holes in the playfield below the flippers. These are used to get a quick flipper alignment using a toothpick with the rubber off the flipper.

Thats what the hols are for? i was just lining them up by eye, what a noob.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from CoupDeTat:

shock_me said:pin holes in the playfield below the flippers. These are used to get a quick flipper alignment using a toothpick with the rubber off the flipper.
Thats what the hols are for? i was just lining them up by eye, what a noob.

That's what the holes are for, but I've found that it's much better to use a straight edge. The holes don't really account for varied rubber thickness on your bats or where your lane guides are.

#29 12 years ago

My money is on the coil stops

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

That's what the holes are for, but I've found that it's much better to use a straight edge. The holes don't really account for varied rubber thickness on your bats or where your lane guides are.

Agree completely. That's why I mentioned it is a "quick" guide to get them close with the rubbers off. I do show the flipper aligned with the lane guide in my last pic though. It's my preferred method

Mike, I also agree with you there as well. Those stops look like the wrong part. His flips are sitting a tad low though don't ya think?

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

My money is on the coil stops

Me too.

Quoted from robertmee:

Exactly.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Those stops look like the wrong part. His flips are sitting a tad low though don't ya think?

Yes they are but as you can see in the pics from Stangbat there is a big difference in those stops.You can adjust the flipper bats all you want but the plunger travel will always be cut a little short,If you look at the OP's second pic all the way up top that's the extra travel he is missing to cradle a ball.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

there is a big difference in those stops

Oh yeah, no dispute there.

#34 12 years ago

Update, and new pics!

Allright, THANK you guys!!! I have filed the coilstop a couple mm.
Ass you can see on the pictures, the left flipper got up slightley...

This also resulted in, in.... more power.... more gameplay... more fun!!! My wife kept on playing indy for an hour straight!!! Now the pinball can enter the poa ramp, without the ball sliding down again YESSSSS!!!!

But wee are not there yet! need to grind much much more!

The odd thing is: tryed the coil stop from my jy, and it dident help any, it must bee because its wpc95 game

Best regards
Dennis

DSC04533.JPGDSC04533.JPG DSC04534.JPGDSC04534.JPG DSC04535.JPGDSC04535.JPG DSC04536.JPGDSC04536.JPG DSC04537.JPGDSC04537.JPG

#35 12 years ago

Off topic:
The missing colour on indys shirt is NOT wear, but fabricationflaw from williams, its UNDER the diamondplate clearcoting
Feels odd, when i run my finger over the spot, cant feel the wood, its nice and smooth

Rest of the PF looks very nice with no wear.

#36 12 years ago

I doubt that....It looks more like wear from classic flipper drag due to a worn bushing. It will feel smooth to the touch as the flipper wearing will be like fine sandpaper. Move your flipper to the upmost flip position and you'll see the tip of the flipper is right over that wear spot. When the bushings wear, the tip of the flipper droops and the rubber drags the PF wearing that spot.

#37 12 years ago

Can bee you are right, it was the messege i got from the seller, that owned this pin for 15years, it allso got the same "wear" when hee got it from location.

But nothing to argue about its nice and smooth, so im happy with it

#38 12 years ago

Nah, not arguing...Just trying to educate. You might want to check the plastic bushings to make sure they aren't worn. These are the plastic pieces where the flipper stem comes up through the playfield.

#39 12 years ago

I have not yet this entire thread, but this is a great link that explains (with lots of pictures) the parts differences between the various flipper generations:
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/flippers/index.html

A must-read if you ask me. Good luck solving your issues.

#40 12 years ago

Pictures are definentley the way to go.
By your link, i can see my Retaining Brackets are wrong ones too...

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

By your link, i can see my Retaining Brackets are wrong ones too...

That's what I said. A couple of days ago. It is why you can't turn your coils around the right way. You got a lot of info thrown at you pretty quickly. A guide like that helps sort it all out.

#42 12 years ago

Yes I remember... i am now thinking about, what if the depth from the mounting screws and the startsupport of the coil is wrong from the original, that can also couse problems for me.

#43 12 years ago

Hmmmm, they are not included in a new kit.

rebuildkit.jpgrebuildkit.jpg

#44 12 years ago

The brackets are not a normal part that needs to be replaced. I don't think they are an issue because if the distance from the screws to the support was wrong, the coil wouldn't physically fit between the bracket and the stop.

In the past when I've had the wrong coil brakcet, I've notched it with my Dremel using a cutting wheel so that the coil fill fit in the right orientation.

1 week later
#45 12 years ago

Update:

As PinMike started writting, the problem was on the coil stops.
Filed them down, now it plays much better.

About the P.O.A it is not possible to let the ball roll over the upper right switch! this is frustrating! Can someone tell how this it made possible?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-wrong-with-my-flippers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.