Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Chambahz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mess.JPG
coil_break.JPG
diagram.JPG
coil_swap.JPG
game.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

So I just completed my "flipper rebuild" on the lower flippers of STTNG. And much to my dismay the left flipper now does a double tap and quits each time you press it. It goes just fine in the flipper test mode though.

I had a little trouble dissembling the old stuff (getting it out of the coil). I may have tugged on the coil a little too much. However, I do not see any broken wires or anything. Since the game worked fine prior to the flipper rebuild... I probably messed up something easy, but what?

Here is the video:

http://s1114.beta.photobucket.com/user/sellingstuff2011/media/061AECBB-28FD-4DF5-A658-C802C4866A90-3855-0000033F6519F593.mp4.html

#2 6 years ago

hold doesnt seem to be working; first guess.. look at the thin wires going to the posts on the coil. maybe one broke loose.

#3 6 years ago

You could swap left and right coils and see if the problem moves.

My feeling is, if you dig around the solder joints at the coil lugs, really dig around the tiny wires coming off the coil to the lugs, you'll find a crack or break.

Long shot is broken diode or diode lead.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

Thanks... I found a small portion of wire off the coil. I am trying and trying to get it to solder back but it simply does NOT want to go. I am ingoloriously bad at soldering.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Thanks... I found a small portion of wire off the coil. I am trying and trying to get it to solder back but it simply does NOT want to go. I am ingoloriously bad at soldering.

How are you at scraping the red coating off the wire ? File, sandpaper, knife.

You need a clean surface to solder.

#6 6 years ago

This is what I am looking at. There is a small portion of wire on the gray/yellow line that isn't attached. Is that the problem?

image.jpg

#7 6 years ago

Does it run through the hold and soldered on the other side ?

You have three tiny red coated wires there coming off the coil and going to the lugs. Grab a tweezers or small screw driver and see if one is broken.

Or put on a new coil and call it a day.

#8 6 years ago

Soldering is getting me nowhere. Sadly I don't know how to de solder either. It appears it will be phone a friend or out of order time.

I don't see any breaks in the red wires.

image.jpg

#9 6 years ago

Is this good? Ha! Could I have fried a board part by having this broken?

image.jpg

#10 6 years ago

Could have take a transistor out.

Fix that before you turn the game on.

#11 6 years ago

That is beyond my skill level. I couldn't even get the wire fragment soldered back together. I noticed this when I was tugging at the little red wires.

I'd like to have the game up and running for my Super Bowl party. That now appears doubtful. The issue with the drop target in the back of the game confuses me as well.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

That is beyond my skill level.

Maybe time to improve your skills. YouTube must have soldering videos.

Get some wire, solder, soldering iron, sit at your workbench or table, and practice.

Learn to clean wire, heat a joint, flow solder.

#13 6 years ago

Yeah. I have tried and tried and tried.

Reflow joints = check

Actually solder something to something else = big fail

I had a cracked solder joint on a pop bumper in TSPP. It took about 2.5 hours of soldering and I did fix it. I spent at least an hour on the little frayed wire this evening. Zero result. I went though a foot of solder. I am not even sure where it al went. Zero seemed to end up on the connection and it's not on the floor either.

#14 6 years ago

Dude. You can do this. Just heat up the end of the diode that needs to be soldered for a bit, then touch some solder to it (not to the iron) and let it flow onto it. After coating it a little bit, do the same thing to the hole with the red wire coming through it. With a little bit of fresh solder priming both sides it will be super easy to solder them together. Then put the two parts together and heat them up together until the solder flows. You could even bend the broken diode's lead (wire) slightly and touch it to the lead of the diode next to it, and solder it together that way if it's easier.

I can't even imagine what the problem could be. What kind of iron are you using? Is it melting the solder easily?

#15 6 years ago

You probably have the wrong solder or the wrong soldering iron. Go to radio shack and get the 15W/40W iron and get new spool of solder that is specifically for surface mount circuit boards. You will probably want a better setup at some point but for $20 you can get a totally passable set of tools.

The wrong solder makes working on pinball machines close to impossible.

#16 6 years ago

you can do it!

#17 6 years ago

I will take a picture of the tools when I get home. They did come from radio shack. I have watched videos. There is something seriously lost in translation. When I do it the solder simply disappears and nothing gets attached.

Good news is there is no mess.

#18 6 years ago

Do you see smoke when you solder? If not your solder does not have flux mixed in. Flux is mandatory for getting the solder to stick to the work.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

When I do it the solder simply disappears and nothing gets attached.

You have the wrong solder. Also check the wattage on the iron because it might be too hot.

#20 6 years ago

Don't be so afraid of soldering, it's beyond easy. You are probably just using shit tools, and the wrong solder. I taught my son to solder when he was 8...I'm sure you can figure it out..

#21 6 years ago

Haha that's funny. Yes I have two master's degrees but I can't figure out soldering. The iron is from radio shack. The solder is from pinball life. I don't know any other particulars about them other than I can't get anything to stick.

#22 6 years ago

I am not sure about the smoke. I think there is a little but not so much that I notice/remember.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

The solder is from pinball life.

Then the iron is way too hot. Radio Shack sells two types of chepo irons, 15w and 150w, I'm guessing you might have thought bigger was better. I find that a 40w is the best for me and I even do board repair with it. I would love to have a better one with temp control, but I'm too cheap.

#24 6 years ago

Buy one that you can control the temp on.

I use a wesd51 Weller..

#25 6 years ago

But for just doing coils or switches those cheapo ones should work fine..make sure tip is clean and wire and coil tab are clean...heat spot u want to solder..then just feed in some solder..done

#26 6 years ago

learn to solder. it is not an optional skill with pinball.

Also: Buy some liquid or paste flux. it makes life awesome. You'll be amazed at how well solder sticks to everything if you use flux.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Yeah. I have tried and tried and tried.

For the love of --- get a friend that can solder teach you.

You should do in minutes what you are wasting hours on.

Nobody was born knowing how to do these things. And that old saying when the going gets tough - the tough get going. Well the smart people stop and reassess what is wrong and do something about it.

Just think in 15 minutes of learning, you won't ever be stymied about soldering again. Or having crappy solder joints that come back to bite you in the tuchus.

#28 6 years ago

So true. I once worked from 7pm to 4am straight on a rollover switch. I got it though.

#29 6 years ago

Do I buy one of each?

image.jpg

#30 6 years ago

I like this one:

High-Tech Rosin Core Silver-Bearing Solder

#31 6 years ago

I don't see that one. There is only one listed with flux and it is huge. The store people say flux comes in all of them. Apparently it isn't sold on its own.

I am getting 60/40 rosin-core solder .032 diameter and 62/36/2 silver bearing solder 0.15 diameter.

Yeah, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Do I buy one of each?

Just get a flux core tin solder. medium weight. nothing too thick. I have that digital soldering station they sell. it's great. I had to replace it once under warranty. But the second one i have had no troubles with.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Yeah, I have absolutely no clue what I am doing.

How about getting a clue and stop wasting time and money ?

Do you not know anybody that can help you, that fixes video games, pinball, tv's, anything ?

Have you even bothered to check Google or YouTube for soldering tutorials.

I know it might be frustrating, but try and get moving forward in a positive direction.

#34 6 years ago

Here you go. Discusses irons, solder, and basics.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Do I buy one of each?

Yea...buy one of each please. (I own Radio Shack Stock) hehe

#36 6 years ago

I learned to solder by watching youtube "how to solder"videos. Never ever soldered anything before owning a pin. Part of owning a pin is learning how to fix them and soldering is something one must learn. So far, I have done eos switches, 3 banks of new targets, and new cabinet flipper switches which all were soldered by me. I get all excited when I actually fix my pin on my own. Its a great feeling, and confidence builder. If I can learn so can you, have patience. Now get to soldering and fix your pin, I know you can!

#37 6 years ago

Those are the tools. I have watched several videos. I don't really learn much via video though. The professionals make everything look too simple.

image.jpg

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Those are the tools. I have watched several videos. I don't really learn much via video though. The professionals make everything look too simple.

Your tip is dirty.

Soldering is simple.

Is there no one that can show you how ?

Get on a plane and come up here. I'll have you soldering like a pro in minutes.

#39 6 years ago

I am trying to hire someone but no luck yet. I have tried to solder things several times and only been successful once.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I am trying to hire someone but no luck yet. I have tried to solder things several times and only been successful once.

Can anyone near Macon GA please go over and help here ?

#41 6 years ago

The only thing I can add to this is that solder does not disappear. What's probably happening is its falling off the lowest point on the soldering iron. God help you if it falls in a bad spot. Oh, I just thought of something else before you solder 2 things together, whenever possible, you should have a good physical connection first. Coil wires go through the hole and bent over before you solder.

#42 6 years ago

Rosin core means it has flux in the core of the solder. I would grab some flux paste though, i always use it when i solder. I would grab a thinner guage solder, you can also use it for soldering smaller points like components on your boards. For larger connections like your coil lugs, you'll just have to feed in more solder. If you heat the parts too much the solder won't stick, just something to keep in mind. You need to heat both parts that are being soldered, not just the wire or the lug. Lay your soldering tip across the lug and the wire, wait a few seconds, touch with solder, i it doesnt melt, wait another few seconds. You'll want to clean the joint with some alcohol and a rag afterwards, flux is corrosive.

#43 6 years ago

I'd be willing to bet your iron is too hot and you're boiling off all your flux before you hit a joint. Does the solder ball up when you apply it to a connection or does it flow through and spread out like it's supposed to? Can you get some pictures?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I am trying to hire someone but no luck yet.

Try these guys:

http://www.playpinball.net/

Found the link here:

http://www.sternpinball.com/links.shtml#Repairs

#45 6 years ago

Got it... Well sorta. It still doesn't work.

image.jpg

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Got it... Well sorta. It still doesn't work.

Well sorta needs to have a better job done on it.

You don't know anyone with tools that can solder and help you ?

#47 6 years ago

Looking good, you just need to fill that middle hole with solder. Your iron is adjustable, turn it down medium to low.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'd be willing to bet your iron is too hot and you're boiling off all your flux before you hit a joint.

You were right. I followed the other gentleman's tip about setting it to 40, cleaned off the tip and the sloder actually started to flow correctly. I "fixed" the old coil and it still didn't fix the flipper problem.

So I wired one in from a different game and it still hasn't fixed the flipper problem. I really am stumped. I may be able to get some help on Saturday. I'm guessing I broke something on the driver board.

The high power works fine. The low power does not.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and for putting up with me. If I ever get the flipper to work I'll post the solution.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

If I ever get the flipper to work I'll post the solution.

Have you pulled and checked it's fuse, with a meter ?

#50 6 years ago

The good news is that I fixed the drop target. I took the whole assembly apart and reassembled it with a new coil sleeve. Works like a champ so far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.50
$ 9.99
There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside