Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Honch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is worse?”

• Greedy people 44 votes
      75%
    • Cheapskates 15 votes
      25%

(59 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Texas_Pinball_Festival_014.JPG
    Texas_Pinball_Festival_015.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

After reading a post regarding the value of SM this question comes to mind.

#2 12 years ago

Voted for greediness.

#3 12 years ago

Greed.

People being cheap get annoying, but sometimes they may genuinely not have the money and be trying to get something out of their league. That or the seller is being greedy (intentionally or not) and trying to sell something for far more than it is worth.

#4 12 years ago

+1.

But my %'s are

51% Greed
    49% Cheap.

Neither quality is redeeming.

#5 12 years ago

Greed, but karma sorts them out eventually.

#6 12 years ago

Hmmm are they not the same thing????

#7 12 years ago

Cheapness or just looking for a deal? Everybody loves a deal!
    Either way greedy people are the worst

#8 12 years ago

I like Greed as a collector it drives up prices. I also like Cheap but only when I'm buying.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Agreed and i dont like dealing with either equally.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

No

greed

Noun:
    Intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth, power, or food.

cheapness:

bargain rate: a price below the standard price

One implies a desire for a higher than average standard, the other lower than average.

#11 12 years ago

I vote for whiners.

#12 12 years ago

Meh, a seller can ask any price he wants, you are never obligated to buy it from him

But somebody insisting on an unreasonable low price is waisting your time

#13 12 years ago

Pinball dealers.

They buy on the cheap and sell on the greed. Therefore the only possible conclusion.... Dealers are the worst!

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Meh, a seller can ask any price he wants, you are never obligated to buy it from him
    But somebody insisting on an unreasonable low price is waisting your time

This is why I went with cheap people. Most of the time unless buying retail you get what you pay for.
    I still have to learn this leason at times.....ID4

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

RGR said:Hmmm are they not the same thing????

No
    greed
    Noun:
    Intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth, power, or food.
    cheapness:
    bargain rate: a price below the standard price
    One implies a desire for a higher than average standard, the other lower than average.

So in the end both want more money???

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

So in the end both want more money???

Bingo!

#17 12 years ago

Greed ,,,,,,,,

#18 12 years ago

"Greed is good".

#19 12 years ago

Greed is Pinball !! We want More , No matter what it Takes !!!!!!!

When I 1st got into Pinball , I was Buy-n Mostly the Cheap title's , under 1K . Thing's Have Changed

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #22 12 years ago

Greedy people try to take advantage of those they can.
    Cheap people try to take the easy way out and cut corners.

Overall Greed is worse for everyone. But being cheap is pretty petty as well.

#23 12 years ago

Aren't both equally represented in the circles of Dante's Divine Comedy?

The answer depends on whether you are the buyer, or the seller, and where you are on the spectrum for either.

Kind of like choosing between crap and poop.

#24 12 years ago

Greedy people are also often cheap since they don't want to share with others.

Cheap people aren't always greedy, they just hate to give. Cheap and broke arent the same!

I dislike greedy people, but cheapos piss me off.

#25 12 years ago

ask a certain member on this forum...I'm a cheapskate....so I voted for Greed...I think most people are looking for a deal..I know I am......I like to call it "Thiftyness"

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedquickss:

ask a certain member on this forum...I'm a cheapskate....so I voted for Greed...I think most people are looking for a deal..I know I am......I like to call it "Thiftyness"

Hmm guess this one will never die. Since you brought it up as an example how about we expand about it instead of just hinting.

Wickedquickss tried to buy my nascar. He asked for my bottom dollar which was 1900 without leds. I was adamantly firm on that price. He ended up pushing to get it for 1800 with full leds and gave me a laundry list of reasons why I should take it. Some were valid reasons and some were a bit over the top.

In the end I took it as lowballing. I later sold that machine to another buyer at 1900. buyer did not haggle and had no problem paying my price.

I did not see myself as being greedy because I was asking what seemed to be a fair price for the game. Wickedquickss didn't see himself as being cheap because he had a different idea of what fair value was. So the lesson from this is that these terms are int he eye of the beholder.

#27 12 years ago

PURE Greed in this Pict !!! I sold mine for $ 1200.00 And it lOOKed Better .......

Texas_Pinball_Festival_015.JPGTexas_Pinball_Festival_015.JPG Texas_Pinball_Festival_014.JPGTexas_Pinball_Festival_014.JPG

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

PURE Greed in this Pict !!! I sold mine for $ 1200.00 And it lOOKed Better .......

Thats not greed its insanity $5,500

#29 12 years ago

Greedy?
    http://www.kellerpinball.com/

14,900 for TOTAN and TAF? WTF!?

#30 12 years ago

Greed. But I second the vote on whiners! Cheap is looking for deal, but if same person buys the pin to flip, thats greed.

#31 12 years ago

They say sold now, but the WW is $10,500! WHAT A STEAL!!!

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from pintastic:

Greed. But I second the vote on whiners! Cheap is looking for deal, but if same person buys the pin to flip, thats greed.

Buying a Pin to Flip Is Not Greed !! Buy-n a Pin in Bad condition and fixing it up then Sell-n it Help's to keep Pinball Alive.. Look in the Past yr How many Member's on Pinball forum's Are Do-n it Now !! A Few $ 100 Profit Isn't Greed ,, I call it Having Fun !!!!

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Wickedquickss said:ask a certain member on this forum...I'm a cheapskate....so I voted for Greed...I think most people are looking for a deal..I know I am......I like to call it "Thiftyness"
    Hmm guess this one will never die. Since you brought it up as an example how about we expand about it instead of just hinting.
    Wickedquickss tried to buy my Nascar. He asked for my bottom dollar which was 1900 without leds. I was adamantly firm on that price. He ended up pushing to get it for 1800 with full leds and gave me a laundry list of reasons why I should take it. Some were valid reasons and some were a bit over the top.
    In the end I took it as lowballing. I later sold that machine to another buyer at 1900. buyer did not haggle and had no problem paying my price.
    I did not see myself as being greedy because I was asking what seemed to be a fair price for the game. Wickedquickss didn't see himself as being cheap because he had a different idea of what fair value was. So the lesson from this is that these terms are int he eye of the beholder.

LED's DONT increase the value of machines "dung." Thats called ones personal taste. I dont care what you spent on LED's or how long it took you to install them, the value DONT go up.

#34 12 years ago

Greedy people tend to be cheap.

Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

LED's DONT increase the value of machines "dung." Thats called ones personal taste. I dont care what you spent on LED's or how long it took you to install them, the value DONT go up.

Considering you could pull them out and sell them, I say they do add value. I'd say that's the case for most mods. You can't argue that there is no value in resale of certain mods. Besides anybody that likes LED's (if they're done tastefully) would put a higher premium on a pin if they already come with the game and installed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-worse-greediness-or-cheapness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.