New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 34787)

What's with the ridiculous pin prices?

By pinballwizardz

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Hawkeyepin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Are people seriously thinking that they can sell their games for the same prices as Stern NIB's practically?

#2 7 years ago

Yes...not only thinking, but are!

#3 7 years ago

yes some people are actually buying them too!!!

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwizardz:

Are people seriously thinking that they can sell their games for the same prices as Stern NIB's practically?

Add that to NIB Stern prices which are $2000 too high, and its quite the conundrum!
    I love the renewed interest in pinball, but this market sucks.

#5 7 years ago

Tell me about it

#6 7 years ago

selling a restored TOTAN for $8k, yes it will sell. When I see crap trying to sell for 3 times the value (like a stern galaxy for $1500, or a home version of evel knievel for $1k), then yes.. I say ridiculous

#7 7 years ago

We could use several more of these threads, they are most helpful. How about some more led threads while were at it???

#8 7 years ago

What pins sell for close to a NIB Stern besides known A titles?

AFM, MB? These are considered top 10 pins, people know what they are, while a NIB Stern is an unknown quantity. You might get lucky with an AC/DC or Tron LE that has appreciated in value, or you might get an Xmen LE that has depreciated 2k over 5 months due to code and Auxiliary Board problems.

People can ask all the crazy prices they want, market sets price.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from maf-mi:

We could use several more of these threads, they are most helpful.

I agree. I was wondering when someone would finally have the courage to bring up this topic. Maybe there are some other folks here who will have an opinion on this subject.

#10 7 years ago

I'm gonna put my Baywatch up for sale for $5k ....just to see what happens.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from maf-mi:

We could use several more of these threads, they are most helpful. How about some more led threads while were at it???

Quoted from floyd1977:

I agree. I was wondering when someone would finally have the courage to bring up this topic. Maybe there are some other folks here who will have an opinion on this subject.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought maf-mi was being sarcastic...

#12 7 years ago

why does pin pricing constantly come up? Its just the way it is right now. If you worried about prices your in the wrong hobby. I suggest Happy Meal toys or rare guitar pics...

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wish you were closer!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

why does pin pricing constantly come up? Its just the way it is right now.

I'm in full agreement. While I would personally prefer prices to be much cheaper, "it is what it is"...

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Maybe it's just me, but I thought maf-mi was being sarcastic...

I was too. Maybe I didn't lay it on thick enough

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ninefingers:

Wish you were closer!

Free shipping, New Years Special!!!

#17 7 years ago

I don't buy pins as an investment. I buy them to play and maintain them.

If prices go up great I can sell at a profit and get something else or simply make a trade.

If there is a bubble and it bursts (like the comic or sports cards markets) well.....great I can add more games to play for cheap.

If you're mad that they are too high and you don't have any yet either buy cheaper pins (they'er out there), buy broken machines and fix them, wait for the bubble burst (may never happen) or find a different hobby (lots to choose from really).

#18 7 years ago

Just keep buying, selling, trading pins, even if they are budget. You'll end up owning what you want- time is on your side!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Someone beat you to it.

http://user.xmission.com/~daina/classified/data/machines_for_sale_recent.html

But I doubt yours has the same history as that baby.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Someone recently did just that...I wonder if it sold.

#21 7 years ago

the old State Fair pinball machines usually make the annual Craigslist appearance right around now

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

Someone beat you to it.
    http://user.xmission.com/~daina/classified/data/machines_for_sale_recent.html
    But I doubt yours has the same history as that baby.

That one keeps showing up at the local auction, along w/ the other Falconer HUO games. I think the Frank w/ the DE logo sold...but the others are prob still available.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh I know what will happen. I think I've sold the only working DMD this year on this site under $1k, lol, and it was Baywatch.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That one keeps showing up at the local auction, along w/ the other Falconer HUO games. I think the Frank w/ the DE logo sold...but the others are prob still available.

I might have to get one of those. That guys ads always grab my attention with the tag line 'only one like it on planet Earth'. Luckily for me, I just happen to be on Earth. Practically irresistible.

#25 7 years ago

Good grief, have we not beat this topic to death in other threads already.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

the old State Fair pinball machines usually make the annual Craigslist appearance right around now

Annual? Dude, they come up weekly on Philly craiglist, actually all the pins are constantly posted, same prices-no buyers. One would think they would lower their prices if they really wanted to sell them. My .02
    Happy New Year!!

#27 7 years ago

how many posts are there on this topic?

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I was wondering when someone would finally have the courage to bring up this topic.

hahahaha!

#29 7 years ago

Awe c'mon guys it's not all bad. Sweet deals are still out there like the 1975 Bally Old Chicago EM that is for sale on Omaha Nebraska's Craigslist. It's only $4000. Somebody hurry up and buy this before I sell my totan to free up some cash to go get it........

#30 7 years ago

Have pin prices risen recently???

#31 7 years ago

I also think that pin prices are a little crazy right now, but when I analyze my feelings more closely, I realize they don't really make sense. Here's what I mean.

If you LIKE high prices, then you are either

A) a person already established in the hobby whose collection is complete, or
    B) a person established in the hobby who wants to add more to their collection but can simply sell one ( or two ) of their nicely inflated pins to fund it.

If you DON'T LIKE high prices, then you are either

A) a person who is relatively new to the hobby or
    B) a person who would like to add more pins to his/her collection but doesn't want to sell any pins in order to do so.

If you "don't like" high prices, then your only shot at a legitimate beef might be that high prices do not allow us to expand a collection as quickly as we would like. But these people would need to be reminded that they are only "parking" their money for a while, and they will more than likely get their money back ( and more ) when the day comes ( I mean, we are all planning on dying some day, aren't we ) ?

Some people might argue that the problem is that today's high prices make the hobby a more risky venture since a price correction could come at a very inopportune time for someone trying to downsize their collection. Although there is some truth to this, I would argue that "risk" isn't a valid concept in this, or any other hobby.

Complaining about consumable items or things that quickly deflate in value is understandable ( think computers, cars, furniture, food, etc. ) but complaining about the high price of something like pinball just doesn\t make sense if you look at it more closely.

#32 7 years ago

You know, I remember when I got all butthurt about prices - some of them still really annoy me.

The fact that AFM tripled in price in 3 years, and not just from 1k to 3k but 3k to 9k - basically the price of a used car.

The fact that some people are trying to make MM a 17k game - 17k dude - the kind of money you put down on a down-payment for a home - for a fricking box of wires and lights.

People with 15+ machines that complain about not having enough pins - that will make me roll my eyes everytime. There are other aspects that really get under my skin, but the bottom line is you pay to play.

If you even have 1 pinball machine, you really are living decently well or are frugal with your money. I have one machine, and that will definitely be enough for me. Having even 3 makes me want to scream with maintenance and upkeep . To me, they are furniture that I turn on once or twice every month for maybe 5 games and then call it a month.

OH well, pinball is to some people like cars are to me - it just is what it is.

Prices will stay like they are or go up as long as PEOPLE KEEP PAYING THE RIDICULOUS PRICES.

Just is what it is.

With that being said, $5k plus shipping takes my TFTC home .

#33 7 years ago

If you allow yourself to be high jacked you have no one to blame but yourself. I sell mine at reasonable prices usually a loss ,as long as I got some enjoyment out of them . Example HUO Family Guy 3000.00 ,2nd HUO RBION 2000.00. Its a Hobby not a profession. Especially here on Pinside where we should be anti mark up. Leave the robbing up to Automated Service and other commercial entities to stuff there pockets.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from vcloverjr:

Good grief, have we not beat this topic to death in other threads already.

True...

#35 7 years ago

We need a new subforum entitled Crazy Pin Pricing, or something.

#36 7 years ago

Topic should be buried.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from sterlingpinball:

If you allow yourself to be high jacked you have no one to blame but yourself. I sell mine at reasonable prices usually a loss ,as long as I got some enjoyment out of them . Example HUO Family Guy 3000.00 ,2nd HUO RBION 2000.00. Its a Hobby not a profession. Especially here on Pinside where we should be anti mark up. Leave the robbing up to Automated Service and other commercial entities to stuff there pockets.

So...when are you selling your next game? I'll take it!

#38 7 years ago

lt's a market that is hard to understand for sure. An example of this is a routed but decent AFM I was trying to sell a little over a year ago. I posted several sites, was asking $ 4300 and only got a few bites at all. List one for that now and you're likely to get your door kicked in to get to it.
    lt just seems to be a real trendy hobby as of late. lf enough people start to talk up a certain title, it then becomes the next ''gotta get no matta what'' pin, and then sellers start to think they have a bank vault on leg levelers.

#39 7 years ago

Prices are never going back to where they were before, but I wish we could turn back the clock on the price discussions!

This thread is an example of it, and the 100 more identical to it, but it's also spilled over into player gatherings and hangouts. Used to be, machines were discussed... the rules, the art, the quirky shots you loved and hated, and almost no discussion of price (back when price wasn't nearly as significant).

Every single price discussion can be whittled down to these two things: New machines cost more, so old machines are demanding higher prices....and.... more people in the hobby = supply/demand. There. I just saved you hours of discussion and debate and endless threads on the price of pins!! Done. The end!

I understand why price discussion dominates gatherings and conversation these days, because the prices are definitely completely out of control, but we all understand why and how it happened, so let's make a pact than when we all gather to play pinball nobody brings up price unless you're actively trying to buy the machine and negotiate a sale!

Let's discuss pinball, it's so much more fun!

#40 7 years ago

"A fool and is money are soon parted".

The market goes up because buyers will shell out what sellers peddle as the going rate. It's all emotion and little logic. Our stock market operates the same way except pinball is probably more stable. Remember Pinside is a small segment of folks actually buying pins so we might not be having as much as an impact as the average ebay seller who figures the price they see is what it is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.50
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 209.00
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    Magazines/books
    Pinball Magazine
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7,599.99
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.50
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside