(Topic ID: 97900)

What's with all of the MB's hitting the market recently...

By 27dnast

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TVL-511.jpg
Cart before horse 2.jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hmmm... all signs point to an AFM remake. But, perhaps?

#2 9 years ago

CC, AFM's and MB's are all popping up. They're all on the "speculative" remake list. People are just scared and dumping because of the "what if they remake it" factor.

I think one thing people fail to see is if this remake business is even going to be a success? I mean, Rick sold out the 1000 LE's in a day but then kinda shot himself in the foot by announcing unlimited standards the very next day, hence causing some LE pre-orders to drop out. After all the dust settles and everything is said and done, more remakes will only happen if Rick is profitable with them and that has yet to be seen....

People who are pre-selling their games now are possibly years away from a remake IF it even happens....

Cart before horse 2.jpgCart before horse 2.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Sure seems that way...several went up today.

If Planetary had sold MM more in the high 5 to 6 range, these prices would get pulled even closer to earth.

#4 9 years ago

The only people selling are those who thought "when I want to sell it in order to get something else I'll always get my money back out of it." Those of us who flat out love the game will never be selling MB.

#5 9 years ago

Nothing to do with remakes here... mine's for sale because I've had it for 4 years and it's time for something new. My roomie at the time really liked the game but he moved out a few years ago, and MB was never one of my favorites. I have MB, AFM and MM, and MB is the least fun to me of the three. Would rather have Metallica or Creature or some tough early SS games.

That said, I really don't think there will be remakes past Medieval Madness. After the initial surge, demand seems to have fallen off dramatically. There's a MMR available right now at $500 under cost, and the games are supposed to go into production in a week. Does not bode well for other titles to be remade when the king-daddy of WMS games is selling under MSRP before it's even built.

Get yer MBs now while the remake rumors keep prices low

#6 9 years ago

We'd think the second game remade by Planetary would be less expensive, right?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Does not bode well for other titles to be remade when the king-daddy of WMS games is selling under MSRP before it's even built.

A bit misleading don't you think? You must assume that Pinside accounts for 100% of all MMR purchases. How do you explain wait lists with distributors for LEs?

#8 9 years ago

I can see likely next title will be Monster Bash,Big Bang Bar or Cactus Canyon.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

That said, I really don't think there will be remakes past Medieval Madness.

I heard from a long time distributor that AFM was "next." No confirmation from Planetary, of course... but seems legit enough.

#10 9 years ago

These rumors would not be enough to make me sell my MB. But if I had payed $20K for a BBB I would be getting a little nervous.

#11 9 years ago

Would much rather have new pins I've never played before than remakes of joke pins from the 90's. PP should design a new game and leave those pins where they belong in the past. JMO

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

A bit misleading don't you think? You must assume that Pinside accounts for 100% of all MMR purchases. How do you explain wait lists with distributors for LEs?

Most distributors read this site or know of it... I assume this wait-list you speak of has been mentioned here, so why hasn't one of these distributors bought this guy's game to re-sell if there is demand? It sounds like the warranty issue had been sorted out.

What distributor currently has a wait-list for MMRLE? Rick posted a few weeks ago that slots at various resellers had opened up and he was soliciting people to buy games from those distributors. Why not just shuffle the waiters to those openings?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

These rumors would not be enough to make me sell my MB. But if I had payed $20K for a BBB I would be getting a little nervous.

I feel the same way, if someone payed $9k for a nice MB what are they really risking if a remake comes $1000 to $1500? I can live with that. Out of the current possibilities for remakes (AFM, MB, CC or BBB) I think only AFM has the possibility to be priced lower than MMr... JMHO

#14 9 years ago

What about Kingpin, is that even a realistic possibility?

#15 9 years ago

My MB isn't going anywhere whether it's remade or not.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

My MB isn't going anywhere whether it's remade or not.

+1.

Same goes for any other game I have that they decide to remake. Original for me please.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I feel the same way, if someone payed $9k for a nice MB what are they really risking if a remake comes $1000 to $1500? I can live with that. Out of the current possibilities for remakes (AFM, MB, CC or BBB) I think only AFM has the possibility to be priced lower than MMr... JMHO

That would be common logic. However, there are some people that don't possess said common logic. You would be surprised by some trains of thought. A common one was, "hey your sweet, perfect MB is old, the remake will probably be $8,000 so yours should be less than nib, how about $6,500?"

For the record, I sold mine because I have about $15k of tractor implements I want/need. I bought, MB, AFM and MM after the remake announcement. For me, original always trumps remade. To each their own.

#18 9 years ago

I'll be listing my full resto MB, but only because I'm building a house and need the $$ for the new gameroom..

Scott

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Seems to me like you already know the answer to your own question.

Quoted from metallik:

That said, I really don't think there will be remakes past Medieval Madness. After the initial surge, demand seems to have fallen off dramatically. There's a MMR available right now at $500 under cost, and the games are supposed to go into production in a week.

If you think PPS bought the rights to remake B/W games and built a new platform in which to do it and he's only going to make one game, I think that's crazy talk. Now, will the business be economically viable enough to do a second game? Well, that is another question. You alluded to that by making mention of the market suggesting that interest in already waning.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'll be selling my MB because I'm building a house and need the $ for the game room.

Gee, could turn out to be like O'Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" where a poor young couple buys each other Christmas gifts. Unbeknownst to Jim, Della sells her most valuable possession, her beautiful hair, in order to buy a platinum fob chain for Jim's watch; while unbeknownst to Della, Jim sells his own most valuable possession, his watch, to buy jeweled combs for Della's hair. (The essential premise of this story has been copied, re-worked, parodied, and otherwise re-told countless times in the century since it was written.) In your case, in order to afford the game room itself you would be selling a main attraction for the game room (MB).

#21 9 years ago

Agreed. It's an obvious title choice for a remake. That will drive the prices down, so people are selling while they can. See MMR.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Maybe it will be MB remade next from Rick. But the questions I have are will/can Rick sell the next title for $8K? and can he sell 1000+? That is around what they go for now and AFM going for even less. CCs are already falling in price too. It is not like it used to be anymore where MMs were going for well over 10K+ before the announcement.

He might get $8K a game and sell over 1000+ if it was Kingpin or BBB. Not sure about the others. If the MSRP gets lowered. Maybe.

But with lots of new games being made everywhere, hell ya its game on! We got choices now!

#23 9 years ago

You mean as much as the Addams Golds are popping up all the sudden? I wonder if it has anything to do with Rick's recent comment on a possible TAF remake down the road.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Would much rather have new pins I've never played before than remakes of joke pins from the 90's. PP should design a new game and leave those pins where they belong in the past. JMO

I kind of agree, though I don't think those titles are a joke. However, despite the high prices those classic titles could and can be found, it wasn't like they were impossible to find, and new ones are expensive too. I don't really think this remake thing is going to work in the long run. I too would much rather see innovation and new titles and let the natural market forces handle the older classics. Most people that want MM, AFM etc have them, imo. The market is not big enough to absorb all this new stuff coming out, and it is still far too expensive for the operator community to absorb any of it in any meaningful numbers. Without question I think we are going to see some mfg go away. It is a cycle that seems to never end. Niche market that does okay, and then everyone comes running in wanting their piece of the pie when there just isnt enough market to handle it all. At best I think only two mfg can run a factory profitably long term. Stern was having some problems a few years back and they were the only one's. My hat is off to them for coming up with a business model that ultimately saved them, and that others are now mimicking.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Seems to me like you already know the answer to your own question.

If you think PPS bought the rights to remake B/W games and built a new platform in which to do it and he's only going to make one game, I think that's crazy talk. Now, will the business be economically viable enough to do a second game? Well, that is another question. You alluded to that by making mention of the market suggesting that interest in already waning.

Totally agree with your points. I do hope I'm wrong....the more interest the better for our pin sales but I just don't see it. And from where I sit, an awful lot of newbies were paying us and others high prices for collectable titles, thus artificially inflating prices. They will bail on this whole market if they can buy those titles new and then the thrill of the hunt is gone...which is good for the rest of us. The rules of supply and demand are now being stood up on its head and I have no doubt it will effect how many of those classic titles will be purchased in the future. It isn't going to be as high as I think some think.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

That would be common logic. However, there are some people that don't possess said common logic. You would be surprised by some trains of thought. A common one was, "hey your sweet, perfect MB is old, the remake will probably be $8,000 so yours should be less than nib, how about $6,500?"
For the record, I sold mine because I have about $15k of tractor implements I want/need. I bought, MB, AFM and MM after the remake announcement. For me, original always trumps remade. To each their own.

Last point, from your comment...I wonder how many of us think most buyers will prefer the original to a remake? I know music collectors generally prefer original pressings to reissued, with the assumption the originals were better (and often that is right). That is an interesting point none of us can really answer yet. I think MM will probably sell fine, but I don't see this as a long term viable business model.

#27 9 years ago

There was a few voicing concern over remakes. While it made a very popular game more within reach of the masses, it has also contributed to a stagnant used market. Couple that with new titles and prices seem to continue to dip. That may be good for buying, but I think as more people struggle to shuffle lineups, the concern will really hit home in mass. I know some may argue it is the slow summer season but winter was slow with many good priced games sitting for sale. The next year will be an interesting one.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Gee, could turn out to be like O'Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" where a poor young couple buys each other Christmas gifts. Unbeknownst to Jim, Della sells her most valuable possession, her beautiful hair, in order to buy a platinum fob chain for Jim's watch; while unbeknownst to Della, Jim sells his own most valuable possession, his watch, to buy jeweled combs for Della's hair. (The essential premise of this story has been copied, re-worked, parodied, and otherwise re-told countless times in the century since it was written.) In your case, in order to afford the game room itself you would be selling a main attraction for the game room (MB).

That's why I have 31 other pins...

#29 9 years ago

I am one of many that like these titles but won't buy and old box of old parts. Remake the title brand new and I am a buyer. Ready to MB if announced soon. AFM. Is just not worth as much as a new Stern to me though so that's a tougher one.

#30 9 years ago

Word on the street is, "#%@$!*(@&#%$"..............After the next announcement the shit hits the fan for all those fools that look at pinball collecting as investing. Collectors and players will be fine as they will always get their money's worth over time. No more $10-15K for classic titles. We will be talking more like $7000-$8000 average which is still impressive.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4life:

I kind of agree, though I don't think those titles are a joke. However, despite the high prices those classic titles could and can be found, it wasn't like they were impossible to find, and new ones are expensive too. I don't really think this remake thing is going to work in the long run. I too would much rather see innovation and new titles and let the natural market forces handle the older classics. Most people that want MM, AFM etc have them, imo. The market is not big enough to absorb all this new stuff coming out, and it is still far too expensive for the operator community to absorb any of it in any meaningful numbers. Without question I think we are going to see some mfg go away. It is a cycle that seems to never end. Niche market that does okay, and then everyone comes running in wanting their piece of the pie when there just isnt enough market to handle it all. At best I think only two mfg can run a factory profitably long term. Stern was having some problems a few years back and they were the only one's. My hat is off to them for coming up with a business model that ultimately saved them, and that others are now mimicking.

No, I meant joke as in funny jokes in the game. I love all those games and owned most of them and played all of them a lot back in the day. I don't mind a little humour in a pin but it just gets old so damn fast. Rather have a new game I've never played before, I do understand the collectors mentality though and if I still collected I guess I would want re-makes too.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I heard from a long time distributor that AFM was "next." No confirmation from Planetary, of course... but seems legit enough.

Sometimes I tell people with big mouths the wrong stuff ... Lol

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Sometimes I tell people with big mouths the wrong stuff

Classic!

#34 9 years ago

Am I the only one that would prefer the first game to be shipped and in everyone's hands before a second game is even mentioned? By the Expo in October, the LE's should have all shipped then we will be ready for the BBB announcement.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Sometimes I tell people with big mouths the wrong stuff ... Lol

Agreed

#36 9 years ago

Rick created a vacuum and people need to fill that vacuum. 8 million has to come from somewhere and my guess is high dollar A titles !

Payments are DUE .

#37 9 years ago

I thought speculation was commonplace in pinball ...

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

You mean as much as the Addams Golds are popping up all the sudden? I wonder if it has anything to do with Rick's recent comment on a possible TAF remake down the road.

I doubt TAF Gold will take a big hit. It's always going to be a hot collectors item.

#39 9 years ago

People are selling for Sterns pin(s). Gary's draining bank accounts.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

While I would agree that new themes are always welcome, PPS is a business and Rick is in business to make money. I run a small business and it only makes sense to do exactly what he is doing. His overhead difference on remakes vs new pins would be staggering. Designers, new parts, artists, etc...etc...etc. He already owns the licenses and parts molds and playfield designs, etc...etc...etc. It is a BUSINESS no brainer what to do here !

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

People are selling for Sterns pin(s). Gary's draining bank accounts.

Exactly! Stern has turned the corner and is making some very good pinball machines lately.

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

I doubt TAF Gold will take a big hit. It's always going to be a hot collectors item.

Until TAFr LE is announced. Smart ones should be selling while they are still can. It ain't gonna be "hot" much longer if this is going around: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-remake/page/2#post-1794326

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Anth said:

Until TAFr LE is announced. Smart ones should be selling while they are still can. It ain't gonna be "hot" much longer if this is going around: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-remake/page/2#post-1794326

I agree, old TAF's will tank like the titanic

#44 9 years ago

Gotta sell those old tired titles to get something fresh, some new shit has come to light, lotta ins, lotta outs and a lot of...you know...lotta threads man, lotta threads to keep in old Duder's head.

TVL-511.jpgTVL-511.jpg

#45 9 years ago

Remakes coming or not, there are a couple of very nice ones up for sale right now.

#46 9 years ago

Selling a classic Bally/Williams to buy a new Stern, that's just crazy talk!!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

When Rick speaks, the market reacts (investor panic maybe?). Bernanke would be proud.

#48 9 years ago

I think its two things.
1. The obvious, remake potential. Get out now at peak value.
2. Simply tons of games coming that need to be paid for. Predator money, MMR, TBL and new Sterns plus others.

Its only going get much worse in the next 6 months. Prepare to buy what you want but knowing that a re sell will be tough.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

When Rick speaks, the market reacts (investor panic maybe?). Bernanke would be proud.

lol ... maybe I should get a Fed council with Stern, JJP, etc and see if we can set pinball fiscal policy

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

lol ... maybe I should get a Fed council with Stern, JJP, etc and see if we can set pinball fiscal policy

It's called price fixing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 75.00
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-with-all-of-the-mbs-hitting-the-market-recently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.