(Topic ID: 267298)

Whats up with these miniature hex screws?

By IdahoRealtor

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JonCBrand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200426_102632 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Trying to replace a couple bad switches and these damn hex screws are smaller than 5/32, smaller than 4mm. I have 4 different socket sets and none go this small. Mini needle nose can't grab them. No clearance for mini crescent wrench. They are really friggin small. Anyone know what size these are? 1/8 maybe? Pin is Sega ID4.

20200426_102632 (resized).jpg20200426_102632 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

3/16ths

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

3/16ths

Nope. Definitely smaller than that. Even smaller than 5/32.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Nope. Definitely smaller than that. Even smaller than 5/32.

Weird. Every Sega and Stern one I've run into is 3/16ths.

My nut drivers going down in size is 3/16, 5/32, 1/8. So I'd try the 1/8th one next.

#5 3 years ago

Same here. First time I've encountered smaller than 3/16". Need to go find a 1/8" socket somewhere.

#6 3 years ago

This Wiha precision ratchet/socket/bit set has been one of the most useful I’ve ever had for working on small stuff, and the micro ratchet has proven to be extremely useful for working in tight quarters, such as pinball playfields. It’s not cheap, but you’ll find no shortage of uses for it and it will last a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75965-Precision-Ratchet-65-Piece/dp/B00JQ753W8/ref=sr_1_49

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

This Wiha precision ratchet/socket/bit set has been one of the most useful I’ve ever had for working on small stuff, and the micro ratchet has proven to be extremely useful for working in tight quarters, such as pinball playfields. It’s not cheap, but you’ll find no shortage of uses for it and it will last a lifetime.
    amazon.com link »

That looks cool. Do all the sockets fit on both the wratchet and the driver handle?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

That looks cool. Do all the sockets fit on both the wratchet and the driver handle?

Yes.

The bits/sockets are 4mm hex drive. The handle and extension are 4mm; the ratchet is standard 1/4” hex, with an included 1/4 to 4mm adapter. The bits, drivers, and adapter fit together tightly and the ratchet has a very fine tooth pitch, so there is virtually no backlash or wobble in use. The bits also seem durable, fit precisely in/on fasteners, and can handle a LOT more torque than others I’ve used.

#9 3 years ago

I have some small Wiha socket drivers and they are extremely well made. That set looks very nice. Might need to add that to my tool box.

#10 3 years ago

Wiha builds the best small fastner drivers.
    They have Allen drivers with a retainer that will change your life.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from JonCBrand:

Wiha builds the best small fastner drivers.
    They have Allen drivers with a retainer that will change your life.

Link? I'm ready to have my life changed

#12 3 years ago

I've been using these: they get the job done. Not sure why it's more than the metric now, it was the same when I bought it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDAFPS6/

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Link? I'm ready to have my life changed

https://www.wihatools.com/hex-tools/screw-holding

I may have exaggerated...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-up-with-these-miniature-hex-screws- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.