(Topic ID: 179467)

What's up with Portland's CFF?

By UNCgump

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160808_210052 (resized).jpg
    big (resized).jpg
    spgoth1 (resized).jpg
    cff (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1485365642364 (resized).jpg
    simon and garfunkle (resized).jpg

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

So I've run across some of Portland's CFF pinball "gang." Is this serious? Maybe it's tongue in cheek? I find it a kinda weird affectation for a bunch of well-worn adults.

#5 7 years ago

It's a group founded by a fellow St. Louis Cardinals (baseball) fan. You'll find CFF initials all over Portland. LEO is more common here in Eugene, where the guy currently lives, but that's just me being territorial. *cough*

#6 7 years ago

Those no-good-sons-a-b*tch*s! They beat me up once because I got a high score at one of their bars and as a joke I put CFF in for my initials and one of their "gang" saw me and said, I can't do that if I wasn't part of the gang.

#7 7 years ago

You better watch out! They've got eyes and ears everywhere and you are likely to get judo chopped in the throat for talking squack.

#8 7 years ago

I hear they run drugs for the cartel while posting up high scores and have the local po-po in their pocket.

#9 7 years ago

I like the idea of pinball gangs. Kinda reminds me of the rival metal detecting clubs on the BBC show The Detectorists. Gotta love The Antiquisearchers...

simon and garfunkle (resized).jpgsimon and garfunkle (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

They're not quite that cool.

#11 7 years ago

Seems there is one of these "pinball gangs" in every city where pinball is prevalent.

I actually like the idea, but it seems that they all think they are hot shit and have the "we're cooler than you, and you can't be in our special club" attitude.

#12 7 years ago

I know I wouldn't be running my mouth in public about them. Best watch it new York

#13 7 years ago

They fit right in here with the rest of the "zoo crew".

FB_IMG_1485365642364 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1485365642364 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

They are having fun with pinball, good for them.

#15 7 years ago

They are angry, angry pinballers....

cff (resized).jpgcff (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

The CFF took my baby away. They took her away. Away from me.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I know I wouldn't be running my mouth in public about them. Best watch it new York

Meaning? I don't think threats, implicit or otherwise, have a place on pinside or in pinball generally. I was just asking about the phenomenon since I saw some of them on a recent visit. It seems opinions are mixed.

Pinball is an arcade game. I would hope all we adults have bigger and more serious concerns.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

They fit right in here with the rest of the "zoo crew".

I would do bad things to her

#19 7 years ago

I hear CFF is in cahoots with bacon. No way celery is going to get in on that action.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinman2020:

They are angry, angry pinballers....

Dunno if it was any CFF gangsters, but I have seen a few discussions online where pinballers from the NW met this description. Seemed more than ready to launch angry tirades and online mob attacks, character assassination against anyone they targeted for a perceived offense. What this has to do with pinball I don't know.

#21 7 years ago

Pretty sure cff is like wu tang. All I know is they aint nothing to F with.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from UNCgump:

Meaning? I don't think threats, implicit or otherwise, have a place on pinside or in pinball generally. I was just asking about the phenomenon since I saw some of them on a recent visit. It seems opinions are mixed.
    Pinball is an arcade game. I would hope all we adults have bigger and more serious concerns.

Whoosh

#23 7 years ago

Surely they can't be as fierce as the Disneyland gangs?!?

#24 7 years ago

Pretty sure cff is like wu tang. All I know is they aint nothing to F with.

Why so? Just say what you mean...

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from UNCgump:

Why so? Just say what you mean...

It's a joke!!!

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

It's a joke!!!

Is it? Much of the online chatted I've seen out of the Portland crowd suggests they err on the side of taking themselves entirely too seriously. But then again, that's kind of the hipster MO.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from UNCgump:

Is it? Much of the online chatted I've seen out of the Portland crowd suggests they err on the side of taking themselves entirely too seriously. But then again, that's kind of the hipster MO.

Maybe they suck at real sports, and CFF provides them the self esteem they lacked.

spgoth1 (resized).jpgspgoth1 (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

It's a joke!!!

Indeed it was lol, clearly I'm joking and clearly I'm not from Portland. I have seen them around a few times at shows though.

Some people don't get jokes I guess.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from UNCgump:

All joking aside, who cares?

Why are you so bothered by people having fun?

#30 7 years ago

You'd sexually assault her? Key her car? What kind of "bad things?"

The fact that people feel welcome to post stuff like this is why Pinside has such a sterling rep.

The person in this photo isn't a pinup poster or a fictional character, or even a celeb. She's a person who is part of the hobby and community and might stumble across this post.

#31 7 years ago

I heard that if you tilt through on their ball they'll ride a Vespa over your flipper fingers and cackle the whole time while doing it.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The fact that people feel welcome to post stuff like this is why Pinside has such a sterling rep.

While I'm sure she's appreciative of you rushing to her aid, holy shit Levi - have you absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever?

That an electric charge didn't come through your keyboard rendering you helpless when you say OTHER PEOPLE are responsible for Pinside's "sterling rep" is further proof we live in a Godless universe.

I'll say this for Pinside: they don't actively stifle the opinions of their userbase.

#33 7 years ago

And to the OP: it's a silly thing in the Portland area. Some people might find that area to a bit to hep, hipster or even twee - if you feel that way, then you're going to think the whole thing is stupid.

Me, I'm not one to stand in anyone's way of having a good time. It looks like a bunch of youngins rocking the silver ball while all wearing the same embroidered patches. Good for them!

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You'd sexually assault her? Key her car? What kind of "bad things?"
    The person in this photo isn't a pinup poster or a fictional character, or even a celeb. It's a person who is part of the hobby and community and might stumble across this post.

When she does, she can do bad things to him!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

When she does, she can do bad things to him!

Sully his credit record? TP the trees in his yard? What kind of bad things dammit?!

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sully his credit record? TP the trees in his yard? What kind of bad things dammit?!

Knock his scores off all the local games, of course. Look at her, she's dead serious and ready to kick ass.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Knock his scores off all the local games, of course. Look at her, she's dead serious and ready to kick ass.

Oh I don't really see a pinball player - I just see an attractive object who has the audacity not to dress like a nun and thinks she can appear in front of a pinball machine without someone saying something vulgar about her and getting chuckles from like-minded neandrathals about it.

But you wouldn't understand since you are PC to the bone brah!

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh I don't really see a pinball player - I just see an attractive object who has the audacity not to dress like a nun and thinks she can appear in front of a pinball machine without someone saying something vulgar about her and getting chuckles from like-minded neandrathals about it.
    But you wouldn't understand since you are PC to the bone brah!

Say what? This whole thread is stupid and I'm just rolling with the joke. Are you trying to make a point? I think the fine lady in the picture can take care of herself, but if you want to play knight in shining armor, knock yourself out.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Say what? This whole thread is stupid and I'm just rolling with the joke. Are you trying to make a point? I think the fine lady in the picture can take care of herself, but if you want to play knight in shining armor, knock yourself out.

I know her personally and I think she'd be skeeved out and offended by the phrase "I would do bad things to her."

It's not a joke but whatever. There are so many creeps in this hobby (not talking about you bro). Of course she can "defend herself" that's not the point. You of all people should understand that.

#40 7 years ago

I'm friends with several CFFr's and I'm personally of the opinion that Portland would not be the pin mecca that it currently is without the ground work that CFF put in starting back in 2003 or so. As I understand it, when CFF first started out there was a core group of around 10 or so folks that would literally go bar to bar, tell the bar owner they'd drink more beer/booze if they had more pins and they'd also find operator contact info, call them and tell them they'd make more money if they brought more games in and wow, it obviously worked! To become a member, you gotta get pledged in and then you have to wear a patch (I'm not a member FYI) whenever you play out, then at some point, if you have proven yourself down (apparently the motto ain't "CFF till Death!" for nothing, yo!) you'll get your gang handle, i.e. "Kickback" and your cut.

It also seems like they've inspired many folks to attempt to emulate their steez, some of their members are top 500 and above ranked IFPA players and some you'll never see at an official competition but they'll gladly take each and every last goldie from you in a dollar (or well above) game. Also, most I've met are also people who get a ton of other shit done in life: Filmmakers, musicians, artists, educators, community organizers, collectors, repair techs, operators, bar owners..

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know her personally and I think she'd be skeeved out and offended by the phrase "I would do bad things to her."
    It's not a joke but whatever. There are so many creeps in this hobby (not talking about you bro). Of course she can "defend herself" that's not the point. You of all people should understand that.

Just the opposite... crude comments from people I don't know on a pinball forum don't bother me in the least. The dude is saying he finds her attractive, but saying so in an extremely rude fashion. He's only making himself look childish, so why on earth would she get upset? If you know her personally, ask her that next time you see her.

Regarding "You of all people should understand that" ... there are regular occurrences of people making gay jokes or innuendo here, usually when a 'bro' style post seems too affectionate or someone posts a related pic or whatever. People trying to be funny.. sometimes it is, sometimes they fail miserably, but it never bothers me. Why should it? I've never seen someone be truly mean or nasty, just attempts at humor with varying degrees of success. And yea, you of all people, who drop sarcasm bombs and bash other people all the time, suddenly finding chivalry when a "creep" fires off a catcall or two.. love the irony

(pic related https://xkcd.com/1763/ )

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Just the opposite... crude comments from people I don't know on a pinball forum don't bother me in the least. The dude is saying he finds her attractive

That's not what he said Larry.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's not what he said Larry.

mmm hmm.. well, I'm sorry that other posters on this site have disappointed you. I'm not defending him, her OR you, just saying that similar comments made towards me wouldn't bother me in the least. Those with thin skin may feel otherwise. Your flip-flop from borderline asshole to chivalrous defender of the ladies is quite impressive. Perhaps you will contemplate your feelings on extraball's comment before throwing out your next sarcastic bashing attack here? Or do you only consider the ladies deserving of your respect?

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

mmm hmm.. well, I'm sorry that other posters on this site have disappointed you. I'm not defending him, her OR you, just saying that similar comments made towards me wouldn't bother me in the least. Those with thin skin may feel otherwise. Your flip-flop from borderline asshole to chivalrous defender of the ladies is quite impressive. Perhaps you will contemplate your feelings on extraball's comment before throwing out your next sarcastic bashing attack here? Or do you only consider the ladies deserving of your respect?

Oh my!

Well, Larry, your flip-flop from outspoken liberal to Men's Rights kook is also quite impressive. I think clearly, if anything, we've both proven that all of us can change and grow, or regress as the case may be.

#45 7 years ago

Will never understand why this seems to be a cutoff point for "good players" (It's where most A/B cutoffs seem to be). Top 500 isn't hard to do. Like at all. Yes, you have to win some events, and yes, you might have to attend one or two a month for a year or two. Does that make you "good", or just "slightly less mediocre than the average casual tourney player"? =Þ People put way too much stock in these stupid rankings. You can be a top 200 player by finishing 3rd at a LOT of tournaments. You can kick the ass of a top 100 player and be under 2000th....trust me, I know. Happened to me and yeah, it pissed me off at the time. I've realized though...IFPA doesn't rank SKILL....the only thing they're actually capable of ranking is individual performances. You can try to make assumptions about skill from a ranking, but a good lot of the time it means exactly jack squat.

More on topic, all the Austin guys have been using a group moniker for a while..it's always fun to me to see their stuff on games up here in Dallas and then take them off.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh my!
    Well, Larry, your flip-flop from outspoken liberal to Men's Rights kook is also quite impressive. I think clearly, if anything, we've both proven that all of us can change and grow, or regress as the case may be.

Another swing and a miss.. where the hell do you get me being an "outspoken liberal" ..?? Mens Right kook? Are you even capable of thinking in moderation or is everything an extreme with you? I'm pretty centrist politically. I have been very consistent in my support for non-censorship and letting people say what they want, just ask the mods. You and your friend now know EBTMG is a troglodyte, and can avoid/ignore him as you see fit.

Also, please tell me the difference between EBTMG's crass comment about doing things to your friend, and your crass comment about be being an outspoken liberal? Different people find different things offensive, and you have certainly offended people many times over the years. Just because you find sexist comments *particularly* offensive doesn't mean the rest of us do.

#47 7 years ago

This is my now favorite post ever on Pinside. But only because someone mentioned The Detectorists.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know her personally and I think she'd be skeeved out and offended

Sorry dude, but you say some pretty harsh shit to people that you don't know both here and RGP.

Suddenly you've got scruples because you know her personally. Get over yourself.

#49 7 years ago

Can we get back to what's important in this thread? Primarily, why didn't anyone catch my Portlandia reference?

#50 7 years ago

That's actually a dude. Nothing wrong with that though.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-up-with-portlands-cff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.