(Topic ID: 244824)

Whats up with my Aerosmith toybox

By Sinistarrett

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey guys need some advice as my Aerosmith Pro is giving me fits. Started off suddenly the toybox lid would not stay open. Kept falling shut as if it didnt have enough power to hold it up. Researched here on Pinside and talked to Stern, decided the problem was a poor design on the “ plunger head”, the part attached to the end of the plunger which pulls up and sticks to the magnet to hold the lid open.
I ordered the improved part, part number 530-5511-01, which has more surface area for the magnet to grab. A couple threads on here mention this same issue and the problem was resolved by replacing this part. Anyway, very simple to swap out the little part, remove a screw and put this new piece on, nothing to it. So after doing this the game worked great, played a dozen games, toybox lid worked great. Until the next day.
Turned it on and hit start, but wouldnt start a game. Also, the top half of the GI was out, and so were the feature lights and controlled pop bumper lights. Power cycled it and when it came back on the lights were still out but it started a game. Put the ball in play and after about 30 seconds the flippers got weaker and weaker and then the game shut down. And I then noticed an unpleasant burned plastic smell which turns out was the hot as hell toybox lid coil. And then the game would not boot up at all. I unplugged that toybox coils connector and the game booted right up with all GI etc working fine. Wont boot with it connected. So whats going on here? Node board? I dont want to try another node board in case something else is wrong and possibly damages it, if thats even the issue.
I dont know where to start trying to figure out whats wrong. Node boards all test good in test mode BTW. Thanks for any help with this.

#2 4 years ago

Bumpin it up

#3 4 years ago

If you were working in that area and now the coil has an issue, look closely at all the wiring. Sounds like you created a short somewhere. I am not familiar with the part you replaced, but seems like it has to do with your issue. Did you have to take anything apart to replace the part?

#4 4 years ago

No chance of a short, nothing electrical was disconnected or moved. I took a look anyway and everything is in order, no wires touching etc. I'm going to start by replacing the coil to see if that helps. Does anyone know if this game has a watchdog that would prevent the game from booting if the coil has gone bad?

5 months later
#5 4 years ago

this is going to be fun. i connected the toy box coil back up, and successfully booted the game up. the coil opened up the lid, and it started to give off that fresh cooked coil smell. acting like it's using full voltage and not the lower "hold" power. colors on the coil's connector all match up.

turned off, disconnected toy box coil, and game boots up fine. i have a feeling that this "new" coil is internally bad (since the last coil didn't lock on at boot).

the toy box down switch works fine.

no misplugged wires or breaks that i could find going through everything back there.

i'll update with the end result. i have a feeling this will all be node related. we have another aerosmith to swap parts out of, so that's an advantage for us.

#6 4 years ago

Just saw this, yeah please update with the results! Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

1 year later
#7 3 years ago

well, wanted to update this...somewhat.

it's still sitting here.

be glad you moved it. this is the ultimate in "pain". takes forever to get the parts, and then....well. steven tyler is still dead and smoking with new parts. 3rd go around with it.

#8 3 years ago

My WOZ had a flipper coil lock on and overheat. A replacement coil did they same thing. It turned out the thing that controls the coil was bad - I think it was a transistor on a main board. I had to send the main board to JJP for repair. I know JJPs are way different from Stern's but you might have the same sort of problem. At any rate have a hand on the power switch when you boot it up.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from youdontknowme:well, wanted to update this...somewhat.
it's still sitting here.
be glad you moved it. this is the ultimate in "pain". takes forever to get the parts, and then....well. steven tyler is still dead and smoking with new parts. 3rd go around with it.

Man that sucks, I figured you guys fixed that and moved it out looong ago! I am sorry to hear that.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Man that sucks, I figured you guys fixed that and moved it out looong ago! I am sorry to hear that.

it's no fault, the shop loves a challenge. this one is just...challenging. seems simple enough on paper, then you get just weird results with the new parts.

random results as well.

we had a jurassic premium in here with a dead gate and a dead flasher. that one? broken wire internally going to a node board. eric still found it.

anyways, we're the Led Zeppelin shop now, so that aerosmith pro can open up for debbie gibson.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-up-with-my-aerosmith-toybox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.